Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Posted: 10/9/2014 10:26:59 AM EDT
For the sake of this thread, let's all assume that God exists and The Bible is true.  If an atheist leads a good and moral life, doing all the things that a good Christian does(other than accepting Christ), will they still go to Hell?  Suppose someone just can't bring themselves to believe due to logic or ignorance.  When they stand before God and say, "Sorry, I just didn't buy what The Bible was selling."  Will God say, "Tough shit."?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
No one really knows.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do they care? They don't believe in heaven or hell or any of that.

What is GD's fascination with people who think differently than them?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Lulz, "assume for the sake of this thread."

Anyone that answers this is most likely of christian faith and assumes anyways, and the atheists are just going to say Heaven and Hell don't exist, so why talk about it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#5]
6th circle of Hell.

Could be worse.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they would care when they found out they would be suffering for eternity.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought the only unforgivable sin was denial of the Holy Spirit? Wouldn't that mean you could just accept Christ at the last second and be good?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The way, the truth, the life, and all that jazz.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]
According to the Atheist handbook the answer is No
According to the bible the answer is Yes
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#11]
What if Allah is right and Christians are missing out on 17 virgins?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No one really knows.
View Quote

God does.

I suspect the answer is yes
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For the sake of this thread, let's all assume that God exists and The Bible is true
View Quote

Yes  

Source;

The Bible.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#14]
If you believe the bible is true, life is simple for you.

As an ancient government wanted it to be.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm an Agnostic and don't believe there is a literal Hell.

I believe the concept of Hell is an allegory of the suffering that people bring upon themselves in life as a result of self-destructive and antisocial behaviors.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I strive for a simple life.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think they would care when they found out they would be suffering for eternity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the point of that?  There are billions of people on the planet who will never believe in, or possibly even hear of, the Christian God because of where they live.  They're all going to burn because God's ad campaign wasn't pervasive enough?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Based on my understanding of the Bible, and supposing for the sake of argument that the Bible is true - yeah, we're destined for hell no matter how super duper we are.

That's what the book says. I didn't write it, and am under no obligation to explain it.

Not that I'm worried about it, mind you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#19]
If God did send me to Hell just because I wasn't willing to accept the Bible blindly and with no proof, I would take that as definitive proof that God does not, in fact, love me, so that proves the preachers wrong anyway.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For the sake of this thread, let's all assume that God exists and The Bible is true.  If an atheist leads a good and moral life, doing all the things that a good Christian does(other than accepting Christ), will they still go to Hell?  Suppose someone just can't bring themselves to believe due to logic or ignorance.  When they stand before God and say, "Sorry, I just didn't buy what The Bible was selling."  Will God say, "Tough shit."?
View Quote

If you assume the Bible is true (I personally believe it is) for the sake of this thread, then there really is no question.
The Bible clearly states that NO ONE gets into Heaven without accepting Jesus Christ as their personal savior.
Any arguments to the contrary are going outside of the premise of the assumption in the original question.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
God does.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No one really knows.

God does.

I can respect that and admire your conviction.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you think a christian believer (now), if born in the middle of Indonesia, is going to find Christ or be of Muslim faith? And do you think they would also think the other religion is wrong?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you assume the Bible is true (I personally believe it is) for the sake of this thread, then there really is no question.
The Bible clearly states that NO ONE gets into Heaven without accepting Jesus Christ as their personal savior.
Any arguments to the contrary are going outside of the premise of the assumption in the original question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Not a whole lot of room to debate it given the assumptions stated.

"No one comes to the Father but through me" is pretty cut and dry.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes. Salvation is the only way
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#26]
8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't believe in him so you'll never "see" him for to say tough shit.

I wonder how many atheists change their view when they get older, someone needs to start a thread.

Of course if it's a "just in case" thing, they still screwed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Doubtful
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#29]

My answer is: I don't know.   The Bible says we aren't suppose to judge people like this.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Iam saying YES. He is the jealous type, needs to be worshipped, self centered etc. Makes demands that no one can do.
Pretty much screwed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#31]
If Heaven and Hell don't exist, how can anyone go there?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Of course if it's a "just in case" thing, they still screwed.
View Quote

Right, which is why Pascal's Wager never made any sense to me.

You can't just will yourself into believing something you earnestly think is bunk.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#33]

*sigh*

So many mis-guided people, so many trolls. I almost pity those that think God doesn't exist.

I say almost because we all have a choice to make, and the majority have chosen to condemn themselves.

Yea, I know. I can't really prove He exists, but none of you can't prove He doesn't. You can't help those that don't want it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#34]

TL;DR version

John 14:6 (ESV)
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'

Full Context
John 14:5-14

5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#35]
According to the Bible, there will be people who spend their lives preaching, doing good things, and even working, "miracles" who, when the time comes, will not make the cut. Apparently, these people know the Bible and think they're doing all these things for God so I guess that even some who believe they are Christians won't make it and, if that's the case, there isn't much chance at all for atheists.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#36]
I hope so , half the atheist I know are annoying assholes. But I also hope, half of the annoying Christians I know go to hell as well
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This^

If there is a supreme being, I'm sure that his purposes are far beyond any superficial little religion cooked up by the mind of man.

The hubris  of people imagining that we are the center of the universe and that God sent his plan to a bunch of old men thousands of years ago and then shut up in modern times is breathtaking.

Simply a creation by man to control the masses.

If you believe that you are going to be rewarded with a perfect life in the future, you will be more tolerant of the misery inflicted on you in this one.

Seems to be working for the Muslims.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

*sigh*

So many mis-guided people, so many trolls. I almost pity those that think God doesn't exist.

I say almost because we all have a choice to make, and the majority have chosen to condemn themselves.

Yea, I know. I can't really prove He exists, but none of you can't prove He doesn't. You can't help those that don't want it.

View Quote

You've just explained why it would be nigh impossible to convince you that Vishnu exists, and that you've had it all wrong. It's nothing to pity. It just is what it is.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's the point of that?  There are billions of people on the planet who will never believe in, or possibly even hear of, the Christian God because of where they live.  They're all going to burn because God's ad campaign wasn't pervasive enough?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope.

There's a couple quotes in the Bible that sorta talk about this. "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin." from John.

And you've got Paul saying: "When Gentiles who have not the law do by nature what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or perhaps excuse them on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus."

Basically, God's law is natural and should be known to all anyway. So a person should know right from wrong even if they never got exposed to Christ.

So the RCC says in the Catechism:
This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church: Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience—those too may achieve eternal salvation.

Note the word may. Not will or won't because, well, nobody in the Bible says directly what happens in this case. So you use some common sense and the readings to try to ferret out an idea. So you hope for God's mercy like with anything. Contrary to popular belief, even religion doesn't have all the concrete answers and sometimes you just have to go, "We don't know, but we hope."

Of course, if you know Christ and his church and reject it, well, that's on you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do you think a christian believer (now), if born in the middle of Indonesia, is going to find Christ or be of Muslim faith? And do you think they would also think the other religion is wrong?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is only one true religion, one true God. How do I know this? The Bible tells me so, and yes I believe every word that is written.

"For we walk by faith, not by light". 2 Corinthians 5:7

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure.   Why not .

But to tell you the truth,  I've never known a truly " good " christian.

Biggest bible carrying, bible quoting , good for the community , upstanding citizen I 've ever known framed a friend of his for attempted murder.  That he was responsible for.  Happened in south GA in the 70's.  The good christians family made a deal with the friend to do the time because the upstanding citizen was just to important to go to prison.  Plus he had a college degree and all that.  And they were a " good christian family "

So much for good christians.

Oh well.

gd
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#42]
If God is anywhere near as wise and shrewd as most organized religions hold, then given the choice in his draft picks between these two types:

1. Guy who lives a clean, moral and upright life, but never bothered to have the appropriate incantations and ceremonies done for him and never went to church.
2. Guy who checked the boxes by showing up and going through the rituals, but Monday-Saturday was a total turd (dishonest in business, cheated on wife routinely, etc.).

... I would have to hope he goes for #1. There are plenty of both types out there, by the way.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I thought the only unforgivable sin was denial of the Holy Spirit? Wouldn't that mean you could just accept Christ at the last second and be good?
View Quote
Yeah, if you're into trying to slip past God on a technicality.  Of course, one would have to assume that God was dumb enough to fall for it.  And being God and all you wouldn't have much of an appeals process with His decision.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You've just explained why it would be nigh impossible to convince you that Vishnu exists, and that you've had it all wrong. It's nothing to pity. It just is what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

I have Faith, and I believe. Not a hard concept. God is real.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Mark 3:22-30

“And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, ‘He has Beelzebub,’ and, ‘By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.’ …‘Assuredly, I [Jesus] say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation;’ because they said, ‘He has an unclean spirit’”

So, basically as long as you don't say "God Damn it" Or "Jesus Fucking Christ"

He hates it so much, he has been buying billboards.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
According to the Bible, there will be people who spend their lives preaching, doing good things, and even working, "miracles" who, when the time comes, will not make the cut. Apparently, these people know the Bible and think they're doing all these things for God so I guess that even some who believe they are Christians won't make it and, if that's the case, there isn't much chance at all for atheists.
View Quote

Those that are being talked about were not saved, you must be saved to enter the kingdom of Heaven, not do good deeds. Good intentions pave the way to Hell.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#47]
If god punishes me with eternal torment simply because I didnt worship him, he is a dick and unworthy of worship.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Biggest bible carrying, bible quoting , good for the community , upstanding citizen I 've ever known framed a friend of his for attempted murder.  
View Quote

I've found that the more people wear religion on their sleeves and inject it into everything they say and do, the more likely they are to be covering up some severe character flaw. If you're a good person and not a shitbag, that's going to be demonstrated by your actions over time. Not because you constantly quote scripture or tell me how pious you are.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

I won't take his arrogant approach, but you are correct. It simply comes down to faith and the belief in scripture.

Some people choose to believe, some lose it, and some never find it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found out from who? Nobody has experience in this subject. Not one person in the world knows any facts about any of this.

But I have often wondered what religious people think, because I live a very moral life I am not religious and I see these people in jail for killing people talking about god and going to heaven and shit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top