Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 7:40:42 PM EDT
At the NRA, I think they don't want you to use steel casings.

I guess they are geting money for brass.

I opened an ammo box and I have tons of brass...what can I do with it if I am not reloading?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell it to someone local or sell it here on the EE.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It's more valuable to someone who reloads than it is as scrap. List it locally or on the ee
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not close to their range, but why not ask to be sure.
Sometimes what they mean is they don't want bimetal, aka steel, projectiles. It may not refer to the brass at all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes what they mean is they don't want bimetal, aka steel, projectiles.
View Quote

OK, still never found an explanation for this. Some people were saying it's hard to separate steel cases from brass for recycling/reloading ... other say doh, use a magnet. But I never heard why they don't want steel bullets. Please explain!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At the NRA, I think they don't want you to use steel casings bullets.
You can shoot steel cased ammo.
I guess they are getting money for brass. Yup.

I opened an ammo box and I have tons of brass...what can I do with it if I am not reloading?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
YES , perhaps I misunderstood but the rules are: No Steel Core, No Armor Piercing, No Tracer Rounds, and Shotguns with SLUGS Only!
Quoted:
Quoted:
At the NRA, I think they don't want you to use steel casings bullets.
You can shoot steel cased ammo.
I guess they are getting money for brass. Yup.

View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK, still never found an explanation for this. Some people were saying it's hard to separate steel cases from brass for recycling/reloading ... other say doh, use a magnet. But I never heard why they don't want steel bullets. Please explain!
View Quote

Steel tipped ( M855 etc.. ) and steel jacketed can and do beat up steel targets faster, which means more chance of a out of bounds ricochet...your ranges nearby neighbors do not want to be picking up ANY bullet fragments....

There is also a slim chance of a spark causing a grass fire... some thing NO range wants... PERIOD...

Your Local ranges insurance is already way out of bounds.. The neighbors and Local Government would love to find a reason to close them down.

Respect their wishes if you want to continue to have a range to go to.... no offense intended...

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Steel tipped ( M855 etc.. ) and steel jacketed can and do beat up steel targets faster, which means more chance of a out of bounds ricochet...your ranges nearby neighbors do not want to be picking up ANY bullet fragments....

There is also a slim chance of a spark causing a grass fire... some thing NO range wants... PERIOD...

Your Local ranges insurance is already way out of bounds.. The neighbors and Local Government would love to find a reason to close them down.

Respect their wishes if you want to continue to have a range to go to.... no offense intended...

View Quote

Steel core bullets tear up the backstop at the NRA range.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I pick up all brass I can. Even 22lr. I reload some of the calibers.
Other gets tossed in five gallon buckets.
About twice a year I take it to the scrap yard and sell it.
Last time it was about $1.30lb.
A full five gallon bucket is about 60 pounds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Freedom Munitions has a brass credit program.  They give you a $2.50 credit for each pound of brass you ship to them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steel cased Tula, Wolf, Brown and Silver Bear, are actually loaded with lead core bullets.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Most steel cased ammo is also BiMetal jacketed, which is an alloy of copper and steel.  not only will it eat up a barrel but it eats up backstops faster too.  i've never been to an indoor range that allowed steel core or steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#13]
we sell it as scrap.

after I take what I want out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Wouldn't dream of complaining about a private business's own rules. Just wondered about the reasons behind it. Steel bullets tear stuff up etc. ... OK, makes sense now, thanks!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
It gets sold as scrap.

I pick up all my brass and the brass of others in a few select calibers if I have their permission and they don't reload.

I am getting a press soon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#16]
OP just send it to me
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Most indoor ranges dont want steelcase ammo because theyre too lazy to sort it out when they sell brass.
An outdoor range in houston, hotwells, ive seen 55 gallon  drums overflowing with brass
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#18]
MONEY
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Steel cased Tula, Wolf, Brown and Silver Bear, are actually loaded with lead core bullets.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bi-metal steel jackets.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep it because it makes me happy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I shoot NRA range all the time.  Steel case and mild steel jacketed projectiles are fine.  

Give the brass to a reloader or keep packratting it until you have enough to get some $ from a recycler, there is a scrap metal recycler in Sterling.

ETA:  They will ask to cut a bullet to verify that there is no steel-core penetrator in the projectile.   They did this to some surplus 308 my buddy was shooting there a few weeks ago.  A magnet won't work because steel jacketed bullets are allowed.  

We were a bit annoyed that they didn't give us the cut bullet back...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top