Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:09:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
STI Spartan , Mine is a great gun. .http://www.stiguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/SpartanV_1a.jpg
View Quote

I really like it:) did you buy the hand grips separate? Or did it come with
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Springfield RO or Loaded.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Check here to see if its legal in Ca http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

some of the guns mentioned are not

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
What 1911s does he currently own?  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:13:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

STI is not Ca legal

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:15:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Check here to see if its legal in Ca http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

some of the guns mentioned are not
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Go back to the gun store and ask for a Glock 19.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:17:35 AM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check here to see if its legal in Ca http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/some of the guns mentioned are not

http://files.shroomery.org/files/11-11/040860410-ocd-family-guys-buzz-killington.gif

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
STI Spartan , Mine is a great gun. .http://www.stiguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/SpartanV_1a.jpg

That is the gun as delivered from STI and in your budget . I took the picture off their website
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:31:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
STI is not Ca legal  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STI is not Ca legal  

Really ???? WTF
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:39:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The RO is the Springfield that immediately came to mind at very near $700.  Or one of the loaded models.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruger SR1911, Sig Sauer 1911 or a Range Officer
The RO is the Springfield that immediately came to mind at very near $700.  Or one of the loaded models.    
I recently got a loaded for $799.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:55:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe this?

You will have to find out if you can buy that in California though...........you have VERY restrictive gun laws.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:58:40 AM EDT
[#13]
colt i would go with
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
It's late and I read this in a way that made it sound like you didn't appreciate him proposing to you.

Glad I'm wrong!

Congrats! (And with as many suggestions as you're going to get, perhaps subtly see if there's a particular one he's drooling over.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check here to see if its legal in Ca http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/some of the guns mentioned are not

http://files.shroomery.org/files/11-11/040860410-ocd-family-guys-buzz-killington.gif

EXACTLY!

COLT , and you'd better hurry up because they will be dropping off the list next year.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't mean to be rude, but a $600-700 priced 1911 would be the cubic zirconia of 1911's. Don't you want him to know how much you love him? A Wilson Supergrade would send the message as loudly as a flawed real diamond does.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Congratulations,  that's really cool and sweet of you. I would suggest a Colt.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:33:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend is going to propose to me sometime between November and the end of January. I'm very excited because we've talked about this for awhile now. I also think it sucks that I get a ring and he doesn't get anything. So I have decided that I was going to buy him a gun and give it to him after he proposes to me. He's a simple man that doesn't like a lot of flash and color. He is also a 1911 guy and will always be one, so please no trying to get me to change the gun. I don't know very much about guns or which one would be better or if i could get something in a different color, so please help! I already have talked to our gun store about getting one just need help!!!

Any help with which 1911 you would recommend and why? If there is a different type of sight you would use? any other advice or just good old help would be appreciated!

View Quote

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in CA you'll need to get him a Ketland Brass
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#19]
For the price range you are talking about. Ruger SR1911
And welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Colt.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I went through the listings of California's "acceptable" handguns provided by raider00's link. I thought MA was bad (which it is) but thats a pretty slim list.

There is a 1911 section in the handgun forum. You may also want to post your question there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have out away about 600 to 700. The highest I would go would be 1000. Originally I was going to get him a 9mm shield but he came home and surprised me with the receipt today.
View Quote

Cdnn had colt stainless series 80's

700$ with probably buy you a spring field loaded get a serial number with nm prefix, their also running a deal with free mags woth pruchase right now

750-800 with get you a springfield range officer

1200$ colt wiley clapp talo edition

For your price point stick with colt and springfield.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#24]
congratulations Dakota
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Really ???? WTF
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

STI is not Ca legal  

Really ???? WTF

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Big ones.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#27]

colt rail gun, they run about a grand, you can always do lay away.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#28]
His and her's Rock Island 1911 exchange them like rings.
Both would be under a grand if you went with the GI model
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Colt Gold Cup Trophy is about 1000 and just fine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Colt Gold Cup Trophy is about 1000 and just fine

I just paid about 1250 three-four months ago, but I did support the LGS, so there's that.

Quoted:

colt rail gun, they run about a grand, you can always do lay away.

Has my vote, but I own one, Model O1980RG if you go this route. NM barrel, Colt, Cerakoted black,  no way to fail. I'm no big fan of stainless.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend is going to propose to me sometime between November and the end of January. I'm very excited because we've talked about this for awhile now. I also think it sucks that I get a ring and he doesn't get anything. So I have decided that I was going to buy him a gun and give it to him after he proposes to me. He's a simple man that doesn't like a lot of flash and color. He is also a 1911 guy and will always be one, so please no trying to get me to change the gun. I don't know very much about guns or which one would be better or if i could get something in a different color, so please help! I already have talked to our gun store about getting one just need help!!!

Any help with which 1911 you would recommend and why? If there is a different type of sight you would use? any other advice or just good old help would be appreciated!

View Quote
What money do you want to spend?

If you are budget minded, a Springfield Amory is a good choice.

If you have more money,  a Les Baer is good.

More money, Wilson Combat or Ed Brown.

Even more money, get a complete custom one built.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm not sure the BF will be happy about the OP bringing a pistol to the proposal event.  What happens if the ring isn't what she wanted?  Diamond too small?  It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the OP shoots the BF in a fit of rage with his gift gun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Springfield Loaded 1911 is the best bang for your buck you can buy.  As a 1911 guy I certainly would not buy a Colt first.  They hav been riding an old reputation for years. Stay away from Kimber.  I don't expect you to believe me and this subforum will undoubtedly argue it but you should speak to the guys in the 1911 forum.  Half the guys in this thread almost asuredly don't even like 1911s let alone own one to give you good advice on the subject. Congrats to you both.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Springfield Range Officer. They run about 800 or so depending on where you get it.
View Quote

This. I got mine for 700. Do it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Congrats!

And you can't go wrong with a Springfield TRP.  
View Quote

Go with the Springfield Armory TRP.  Check Buds Gun Shop online for good pricing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Instead of a pistol...buy YOURSELF the same dollar amount of lingerie and accessories.

I am pretty sure he would appreciate that more

I know we would here

;)

PS...pics?????  Rule # 87 in the New Membership Handbook here
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He not only told you how much he paid for the ring, but told you before he gave it to you?  That's...  

You know what, forget about it.  That's a minor part of all this.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but you should be aware that person-to-person handgun transfers are prohibited in California.  If you go buy the gun, you'll have to go back to a dealer to transfer it to your boyfriend.  This is something you should ask the dealer about BEFORE you go spending any money.  It may well be easier for you to get him a gift certificate, and let him go to the store himself, so you just have to make the one trip.

There are also qualifications you need to make before you can buy a handgun in CA.  I'm assuming this wouldn't be his first handgun, but if it is, just be aware there's more to it than just walking in to the store, paying money, and receiving the property you now own.  This is also a question for your dealer, if and as it applies.

Now, as for what gun to get...  For the $700 game, Springfield is your target.  I'd go with a range officer because I'd want the target sights, but Springer has a few options in your price range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have out away about 600 to 700. The highest I would go would be 1000. Originally I was going to get him a 9mm shield but he came home and surprised me with the receipt today.

He not only told you how much he paid for the ring, but told you before he gave it to you?  That's...  

You know what, forget about it.  That's a minor part of all this.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but you should be aware that person-to-person handgun transfers are prohibited in California.  If you go buy the gun, you'll have to go back to a dealer to transfer it to your boyfriend.  This is something you should ask the dealer about BEFORE you go spending any money.  It may well be easier for you to get him a gift certificate, and let him go to the store himself, so you just have to make the one trip.

There are also qualifications you need to make before you can buy a handgun in CA.  I'm assuming this wouldn't be his first handgun, but if it is, just be aware there's more to it than just walking in to the store, paying money, and receiving the property you now own.  This is also a question for your dealer, if and as it applies.

Now, as for what gun to get...  For the $700 game, Springfield is your target.  I'd go with a range officer because I'd want the target sights, but Springer has a few options in your price range.

this, exactly including the Range Officer recommendation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Hello
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Springfield Range Officer or Ruger 1911.  Both are excellent firearms.  Gratz on the future proposal.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Really ???? WTF
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

STI is not Ca legal  

Really ???? WTF
STI doesn't want to pay cal doj's extortion to get on the roster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#40]
You say he's a simple man, no need for a 1911, just look to Hillary Duff for advice......

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/user/phb1gt/media/Truck2520Camper2520IN_zps85aaecc1.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k407/phb1gt/Truck2520Camper2520IN_zps85aaecc1.gif</a>
View Quote

Holy fuck.  I think that lady is dead.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#42]
If you really love him, get him a Glock 19.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Funny I bought mine a n engagement ring yesterday and it dawned on me hey how come I don't get anything?  Jk she is all I need in return.  I would go w a Springfield gi model.  It's the basic model but it works.  Then for birthdays an aniverseries you can sen it to novaks for some custom work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Go back to the gun store and ask for a Glock 19.
View Quote
You people can't help yourselves, can you?

Personally OP, I'd suggest trying to save a little more, and get a Colt 100 year anniversary grade III. But a Springfield Range Officer is a fine pistol as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Colt or Springfield. Congrats.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Unfortunately, you're in California.

1911s available for sale are listed on California DOJ's Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Les Baer, Ed Brown, Springfield Armory, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Para Ordnance, Sig Sauer, Strayer Voigt and Wilson Combat are on the roster and available for sale. Ruger and Taurus are not legal for sale in California. If you order a gun, you must start the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) paperwork before the expiration date from the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale.

There is also an issue with buying a handgun for someone who is not your spouse, father or son. I assume he already has a valid California Handgun Safety Certificate. Your fiance will need to go with you and the two of you will have to convince the store's counter monkey that you are not conducting a straw sale. This means your fiancee will have to fill out the paperwork (4473 and DROS).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#47]
He gives you a ring, you give him a gun-I love it~!~

Why can't everyone do it like this?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Big ones.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Big ones.
View Quote

Yea-up.  Good looking couple.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Congrats and good  luck

If you truly want to spend a $1000 you should be able to find a Colt for that price.
For a little less a Springfield
For about $650 a Ruger SR-1911

I would suggest buying a full size govt model or a commander
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top