Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2014 11:46:54 PM EDT
I'd give almost anything to live there, experiencing life to live, surviving on the land.  Except Jane would have to move out.  And my sheltered, suburban wife and kids wouldn't last 3 days.  

Now where did I put that new box of K-Cups.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You aren't alone...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the show. Some of the members here that know the area may tell you that they aren't roughing it as much as the camera leads you to believe.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'd give almost anything to live there, experiencing life to live, surviving on the land.  Except Jane would have to move out.  And my sheltered, suburban wife and kids wouldn't last 3 days.  
View Quote
They have it easy.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a step-uncle who knows them and says it's not nearly as rough as they make it out to be.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where is Pa are you?  You don't have to move too far in Pa to live that life..  Land is still pretty cheap in the 'Hillbilly' parts of Pa as well...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are talking about the kilchers in homer AK, I did odd jobs for the family almost 20 years ago and spent a lot of time around parts of the family.    I'm not familiar with the show.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd move in with Eve.

Otto reminds me of my dad so much it actually hurts to watch the show
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck Alaska...it's cold up there. I'm all about living outdoors, but I don't want to live anywhere where going outside without a bunch of clothes and survival gear means imminent death.

I think I'd like to try to survive in Fiji.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fuck Alaska...it's cold up there. I'm all about living outdoors, but I don't want to live anywhere where going outside without a bunch of clothes and survival gear means imminent death.

View Quote
Not all of AK is cold.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
From my little bit of google fu and searching the "Kilcher homestead" is far from the tv show! While it may be a homestead in name, it is a living museum rather than a real live homestead.

It is a place where folks can go and pay a fee to see how it used to be. Basically a historical site!
Also the place is not so far from town as the show leads you to believe.

But hey it is still a show and provides entertainment. So there is that!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

100% of it is colder than where I hang my hat, and a few months out of the year walking out into the woods in your jammies means frostbite, exposure, then death.

Yeah, it's all cold. Especially compared to Fiji, where walking out into your yard at any time during the year will not endanger your extremities.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like the show. Some of the members here that know the area may tell you that they aren't roughing it as much as the camera leads you to believe.
View Quote

They live very close to Homer, Alaska. There is a bed and breakfast on the land. They sell food from Eve's greenhouse. Several of them are worth over a million dollars.

I like the show, but the narration always goes on like they are one day from starving, which is bullshit. Several family members say as much on their personal sites and in interviews.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#13]
They choose to live that way, they are a pretty well off family.

Eta: Jewel the hot singer chick is Atz Kilcher's daughter.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

100% of it is colder than where I hang my hat, and a few months out of the year walking out into the woods in your jammies means frostbite, exposure, then death.

Yeah, it's all cold. Especially compared to Fiji, where walking out into your yard at any time during the year will not endanger your extremities.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

That's actually not true. There were a couple times last winter where it was colder here in Florida than it was at my place in SE Alaska. I guarantee you that Ohio was colder than both.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Eve.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Eve.

View Quote
Courtney on Yukon men is hotter.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's actually not true. There were a couple times last winter where it was colder here in Florida than it was at my place in SE Alaska. I guarantee you that Ohio was colder than both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

I've hunted in Prince of Wales island.  It was much warmer there than anywhere in Nebraska at the time.  Alaska runs a pretty big swath on the climate scale.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eve.

Not a single BOTD shot to be found.
Could be the weather.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

Yeah, and one time Phoenix was colder than Cleveland. Dude, averages. The warmest place in Alaska has an average temperature in the 40s'. Where I live is almost 10 degrees warmer.

Most of Alaska is cold, cold enough to kill you a lot of the time. How is this even an argument?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck Ohio, it gets cold up there.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eve.

I'd take them both.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm down as long as i get to take Jewel with me.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed, I grew up in Arizona. I can't wait to retire to a warm state again. Warm may be uncomfortable, but it doesn't make your fingers turn black and fall off.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm down as long as i get to take Jewel with me.

http://ilarge.listal.com/image/4278516/968full-jewel-kilcher.jpg
View Quote

She is a cutie isn't she?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Courtney Stan Zurays daughter on Yukon men is hotter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eve.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

100% of it is colder than where I hang my hat, and a few months out of the year walking out in noto the woods in your jammies means frostbite, exposure, then death.

Amen!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#27]
my 10th grade english teacher looked just like her , we tried to serve detention in her class but she never fell for it . She married a military man and moved to germany to all of our disapproval .

Jewel , courtney or that other girl would be nice to have around also .

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd move in with Eve.

Otto reminds me of my dad so much it actually hurts to watch the show
View Quote

+1 on Eve!

She reminds me of what a woman should be......
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've hunted in Prince of Wales island.  It was much warmer there than anywhere in Nebraska at the time.  Alaska runs a pretty big swath on the climate scale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

That's where my place is. Awesome hunting & fishing up there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, and one time Phoenix was colder than Cleveland. Dude, averages. The warmest place in Alaska has an average temperature in the 40s'. Where I live is almost 10 degrees warmer.

Most of Alaska is cold, cold enough to kill you a lot of the time. How is this even an argument?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

Watch the weather this winter and compare the temperatures in Craig, AK to wherever you are in Ohio. I guarantee it will be warmer in Craig at least 50% of the time. The weather in Craig is typical of most of SE Alaska.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#32]
All in all, if they do twice as much in real life as to what they do on the show, they are roughing it more than 99% of arfcom.  It hasn't turned into American Chopper yet, and is informal and interesting. With them doing such a thing, with the money they have, I give them even more props.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes, the show makes it look like a great way to live.....minus crapping outside in a stinky shithole and being cooped up with your unshaven, unshowered spouse for 8 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where is Pa are you?  You don't have to move too far in Pa to live that life..  Land is still pretty cheap in the 'Hillbilly' parts of Pa as well...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When my brother began teaching in SWPA in 1979 he had a few students who lacked running water at home.
This was an hour's drive from downtown Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some of the members here that know the area may tell you that they aren't roughing it as much as the camera leads you to believe.
View Quote

One member here lives in the same town and says he sees them at the supermarket all the time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/compare/results?from=vac_compare&clocid1=USOH0245&clocid2=USAK0105

Ohio is much hotter in the summer, but only a touch warmer in the winter.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

as some one who lives a few miles away,...you will be shocked at all the stuff the t.v. show edits and photoshops out it's not what it seems,..the "homestead is 1/4 mile off a main paved road and 7 minutes away from a major grocery  store a mcdonalds and subway,...sorry to burst your bubble but that show is nothing but a bunch of concocted up bullshit
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/compare/results?from=vac_compare&clocid1=USOH0245&clocid2=USAK0105  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohio is much hotter in the summer, but only a touch warmer in the winter.

Let's not get lost here. What was my original comment in regards to? I don't want to live a dream existence where it's cold. Now, if you suggest that Ohio is as warm as Alaska (it's not), or file down the criteria for comparison to suggest that they're pretty similar, we're still left with a reality which is the accuracy of my statement. I don't want to live a dream existence where the winter will kill me without ample provisions to fend off the temperatures.

That's true, well, everywhere in Alaska.

It's true in Ohio too, but I never said I was living in my dream location did I? No sir. This thread is about moving to a neato place.

I prefer the equator to frostbite.

/argument.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
They live very close to Homer, Alaska. There is a bed and breakfast on the land. They sell food from Eve's greenhouse. Several of them are worth over a million dollars.

I like the show, but the narration always goes on like they are one day from starving, which is bullshit. Several family members say as much on their personal sites and in interviews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Homer is near those weird Russian Old Believer villages. I wonder if all the shit that supposedly happens there is true.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

as some one who lives a few miles away,...you will be shocked at all the stuff the t.v. show edits and photoshops out it's not what it seems,..the "homestead is 1/4 mile off a main paved road and 7 minutes away from a major grocery  store a mcdonalds and subway,...sorry to burst your bubble but that show is nothing but a bunch of concocted up bullshit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 minutes away here... I am really roughing it LOL
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm about 15 minutes away from the nearest grocery store (Piggly Wiggly), McD's, etc. and I live in SC TN.  Yea, I must be roughing it too!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dammit.....thanks for ruining the show for me.  I often wondered where they got their "modern amenities" and if they had electric.  That's a shame.  There's a new show, "Live Free or Die", or something like that.  I missed the first episode, but the commercials for it looked interesting.  By the sounds of what you're telling me, I suspect they're just camped out in the woods behind Wal-Mart.  Fucking TV....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know it's bs and they're millionaires, right?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, you'd be close to a McDonalds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do now.  It looks like I'll stick to "Game of Thrones" and "Boardwalk Empire", as far as TV goes.  At least I know they're fake.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eve.

Kate is pretty damn hot too.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I would live there.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all of AK is cold.

Don't the non-cold places tend to be pretty muggy and buggy?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All most all of AK is buggy.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top