Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sure Arf will take up a collection to fund you a new shop door... I can only imagine the scale of projects that would come from such an addition

Totally serious btw
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am sure Arf will take up a collection to fund you a new shop door... I can only imagine the scale of projects that would come from such an addition

Totally serious btw
View Quote

Sounds like an excellent Kickstarter project. Maybe fund a stand alone art building complete with enough supplies and tools to build a working full scale Saturn V.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sounds like an excellent Kickstarter project. Maybe fund a stand alone art building complete with enough supplies and tools to build a working full scale Saturn V.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally serious btw

I was thinking maybe more like a skeletal Ork Squiggoth?

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Update 12/12

More ribs done.    We got more plywood this morning, and a few more patterns that need cut out and transferred to the wood.  The custodian wandered into my room today, and told a student, "Where the heck is he going to put that thing?  I hope he isn't planning on hanging that in one of the pods."  I expect his resistance attacks to begin anytime now.  
IMG_20141212_114202_989 by guns762, on Flickr" />

IMG_20141212_114141_605 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Update 12/12

More ribs done.    We got more plywood this morning, and a few more patterns that need cut out and transferred to the wood.

The custodian wandered into my room today, and told a student, "Where the heck is he going to put that thing?  I hope he isn't planning on hanging that in one of the pods."  I expect his resistance attacks to begin anytime now.
View Quote

Caught 'cha.    Of course, you produce things for the custodian every year that have to be dusted, which adds to his workload.  Perhaps next year a functional project - a powered floor mopper, like in WalMart?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Caught 'cha.    Of course, you produce things for the custodian every year that have to be dusted, which adds to his workload.  Perhaps next year a functional project - a powered floor mopper, like in WalMart?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 12/12

More ribs done.    We got more plywood this morning, and a few more patterns that need cut out and transferred to the wood.

The custodian wandered into my room today, and told a student, "Where the heck is he going to put that thing?  I hope he isn't planning on hanging that in one of the pods."  I expect his resistance attacks to begin anytime now.

He doesn't dust anything.....he has people for that.    I apologize to those ladies, but they tell me don't worry about it, they like projects.    They give me a little shit, but they aren't too upset.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Update 1216

All the ribs have been cut out, was well as all the leg parts.   Students just need to finish routering all of them and we can start messing around with putting the legs together and move the torso out to the breakout areas.
</a> IMG_20141216_091709_270 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I missed this, do you have a template?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I missed this, do you have a template?
View Quote

Nope, kids are making them as we go.   I've got one main kid making all the templates right now.  We are going to have a nice custom set when we are finished, though.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm hoping my students can get a couple back legs together today.    I'm off for Christmas break tomorrow till the 5th, so there won't be any updates till then.    Yesterday they got all the remaining ribs routered, as well as almost all the leg parts.     We should be very close to finishing up the torso pieces today and be ready for some assembly when we get back from break.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#11]
So take lots of photos today, and tomorrow- then spread your  updates out across the break! I don't know if I can make it 2 weeks with total silence from the dragon...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So take lots of photos today, and tomorrow- then spread your  updates out across the break! I don't know if I can make it 2 weeks with total silence from the dragon...
View Quote

How about this update.....

The head custodian(aka The Evil Sith Lord ) wandered into my room today.     I was in the 2D room, so I just watched him walk into the 3D room.   He came back out and asked me for a medical sheet for bottle of "Son of a Gun" on the table.    I said, "It's water, I have to recycle squirt bottles."    He said, it has to be labeled, and every chemical used needs a medical emergency sheet on file.   He said every "chemical" i buy local also needs one.  

He did offer me new squirt bottles.  I guess this is his first retaliatory strike for the dragon project.  

Not sure why this just became a priority for him.    I suppose every bottle of paint, every tube of paint, every glue bottle, every paint thinner, oil, and such will now need a medical sheet.  Probably need one for the lotion on my desk too.  Maybe the hand sanitizer units on the wall?      

I do now have a label on the spay bottle that does say "water."

ETA:   I might have to make a label for each of the taxidermy mounts and put them up on the walls under their display that says, "Not edible".
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The head custodian(aka The Evil Sith Lord ) wandered into my room today.     I was in the 2D room, so I just watched him walk into the 3D room.   He came back out and asked me for a medical sheet for bottle of "Son of a Gun" on the table.    I said, "It's water, I have to recycle squirt bottles."    He said, it has to be labeled, and every chemical used needs a medical emergency sheet on file.   He said every "chemical" i buy local also needs one.  

He did offer me new squirt bottles.  I guess this is his first retaliatory strike for the dragon project.  

Not sure why this just became a priority for him.    I suppose every bottle of paint, every tube of paint, every glue bottle, every paint thinner, oil, and such will now need a medical sheet.  Probably need one for the lotion on my desk too.  Maybe the hand sanitizer units on the wall?      

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a case where you should act like a lawyer. You need to come up with a stack of the papers he wants that it will take a cart to move. Don't get a sheet for one line of paint when you can give him a sheet for each individual color, and make sure he has a copy of each sheet for each tube of paint.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Does he have an MSDS for each tool he brings in?
"I want to see one for every screw in that tray, mister, or you're in violation, and I can't allow it."

Worse yet, does he have a MSDS for himself? "Tool, 1, Custodian-shaped."

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh my...that custodian sounds like he has a serious case of "I'm a bus driver" disease.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  How about this update.....

ETA:   I might have to make a label for each of the taxidermy mounts and put them up on the walls under their display that says, "Not edible".
View Quote

If you worked in a business that was engaged in Interstate Commerce, you'd be subject to OSHA rules & have to have a MSDS sheet on each "chemical".  Unless your school district takes Federal money, or the state or your local school board require compliance w/ OSHA rules, I'm not sure that you're required to follow them.  Might google "Di-hydrogen Monoxide" and give the janitor a copy of MSDS for that.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I just had a chat with the principal.   He told me not to do anything right now(MSDS related).    He said the mighty custodian was a bit of a tirade over something else, and was just being a pain in the ass.    

I told him about doing one for taxidermy mounts and was......  

Principal is a good guy.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does he have an MSDS for each tool he brings in?
"I want to see one for every screw in that tray, mister, or you're in violation, and I can't allow it."

Worse yet, does he have a MSDS for himself? "Tool, 1, Custodian-shaped."

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, I must say that is amazing.  I haven't ever made it past the front office.  I need to wander some time.

This also makes me sad at the same time.  I made one small clay cup in high school and that's all they did for us.  No wood shop, no auto shop.  Art was a joke class not taught by an art teacher.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow, I must say that is amazing.  I haven't ever made it past the front office.  I need to wander some time.

This also makes me sad at the same time.  I made one small clay cup in high school and that's all they did for us.  No wood shop, no auto shop.  Art was a joke class not taught by an art teacher.

View Quote

Stop by my room, and I'll give you the grand tour.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Update 12/27
Here's our one and only mid break update.    Sorry fellas.  

Before we left for the break all the remaining pieces were routered, and we started putting those rear legs together.  
</a>
IMG_20141218_092334_689 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The legs...  we got one all screwed together before we remembered that we needed to glue it too.   My student was not amused by this.  
</a>
IMG_20141218_092305_507 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a>
IMG_20141218_092520_348 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#23]
a little of wood shop mixed some art with a splash of anatomy and a side of engineering. i love it!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought i'd update this.    I had the school board president stop by a couple days ago to borrow my keys so he could give a tour of the projects to his dad.   Also, when my inlaws showed up for Christmas, my FIL asked to get another tour, even though hes seen this stuff numerous times.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Back to school today... bummer. More work on moose and dragon!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Back to school today... bummer. More work on moose and dragon!
View Quote

Damn, man! You beat me to the update.

UPDATE 1/5

We started putting primer on parts today.
</a>
20150105_132619 by guns762, on Flickr" />

We looked at these two colors, and everyone decided the antique brass on the left was their favorite.  I went down and bought the four cans in town.  They say they will have more on Friday.  The wood grain shows through the paint, but the concensus was it looked good.  We also think we have a nice fabric picked out for the wings.  I'm waiting to see how the color will look with the metallic paint.
</a>
20150105_093403 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Another angle....  
</a>
20150105_093432 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I forgot to add, I also asked for a shop door to replace one of my windows today.    I'm sure it will be rejected, but my principal thought it was a good idea, and told me to put the request in writing.  Here's hoping.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Just asked the head custodian to get cables ready for us.       He acted like he didn't know we were going to hang another project.  

He was pretty good about it once I explained what we needed, but then he went down and complained to the principal about all the project.   I'm biased as all hell, but my thinking is, as popular as these projects have been with the community, admin, parents, and students; complaining about them to your boss is probably not the wisest choice of paths to take.  He told me I was eventually going to run out of space to hang these things.   I told him, there are a lot of areas left, and when we fill them all, I'll start replacing the old ones, and sell them off to raise money for new ones.  

I'm looking forward to this years resignation list coming up before April 15th.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Update 1/6
Does this make a dragon's but look big........cause holy shit, it seems too.  

</a>
20150106_094144 by guns762, on Flickr" />

All the ribs and some of the leg parts got primered today.  We are going to spend a small for tune on paint.
</a>
20150106_094319 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The front legs all painted up with our antique brass color.  A little of the red primer shows through, but I'm thinking we may leave some of that in places as it seems to compliment the brass a bit, and the fabric for the wings would go well with it.
</a>
20150106_094337 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just asked the head custodian to get cables ready for us.       He acted like he didn't know we were going to hang another project.  

He was pretty good about it once I explained what we needed, but then he went down and complained to the principal about all the project.   I'm biased as all hell, but my thinking is, as popular as these projects have been with the community, admin, parents, and students; complaining about them to your boss is probably not the wisest choice of paths to take.  He told me I was eventually going to run out of space to hang these things.   I told him, there are a lot of areas left, and when we fill them all, I'll start replacing the old ones, and sell them off to raise money for new ones.  

I'm looking forward to this years resignation list coming up before April 15th.
View Quote

This guy. I can take care of him for you...
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
A cool piece by one of the students.....

Sculpting a skull out of clay is not an easy adventure.
20150107_085556 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you for what you do
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I just found this thread.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I have said this before, but I really wish I had an art teacher like you when I was that age. You do good work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Tagged. We never got to do anything this cool in high school.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#36]
These are some of the best threads in GD every time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll post some pictures later today when I get a chance to catch up.  

We are currently getting the center cables hung for the body.....no, really.   The cables are actually going up.

There was some debate about if there were actually any beams in the ceiling to tie the cables to, but with the help of a flashlight, and a grumpy art teacher, it was determined that there was actually a beam up there holding that 40'x30' section of metal roofing.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Update 1/14

Painting is coming along on the dragon.    
Our redish antique brass color looks good.
20150114_102132 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Ribs are all painted
20150114_102140 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Back feet all assembled and painted; ready for installation.
20150114_102200 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The ceiling of the area it will be hung.
20150114_102827 by guns762, on Flickr" />

The main beam that we are going to hang the dragon from, and the famous lift that was not allowed to lift the stagecoach.  I'm in negotiations about the famous coach right now.   They want to bring in a structual engineed to determine if it will be safe to hang given our design and materials.  
20150114_102839 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]
A couple of student sculptures....

20150114_102942 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150114_102900 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  I'm in negotiations about the famous coach right now.   They want to bring in a structual engineed to determine if it will be safe to hang given our design and materials.  
http://<a href=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8617/15658065174_30460a7bfe_b.jpg</a>20150114_102839 by guns762, on Flickr" />
View Quote

It's safe to hang over your desk, right?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

A cool piece by one of the students.....

Sculpting a skull out of clay is not an easy adventure.

http://<a href=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8645/15601039744_07d4598521_b.jpg</a>20150107_085556 by guns762, on Flickr" />
View Quote
That is a awesome piece. I'm partial to skulls.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#43]
My hats off to you sir.

Those kids are very lucky to have you there. They really look like they enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was just wondering what happened to the dragon boat.

Still hanging up in our school.
http://<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/guns762/Viking%20Coastal%20Trader/IMG_20130524_091808_347_zpsf388accc.jpg</a>" />

I remember this thread, that longboat is badass

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Update 1/22

We have been painting for about a week, trying to juggle semester final schedules, and a wonderful multicultural day schedule.    Students will be painting the head and neck the rest of the week, as we are in a holding pattern waiting on our favorite custodian who called in sick for the rest of the week on Tues.  

No cables yet to hang the back.  

For those also following the moose thread.....plan is for next week; too much lecturing this week to do anything.  sorry.

20150122_074801 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150122_074818 by guns762, on Flickr" />

20150122_074811 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Update 1/28

The cables should be up later today.   Maybe tomorrow we can get the torso up on the cables and start assembly.  

We also started the wings yesterday.   Should be giving him about a 24' wingspan, although folded up and posed, it will only be about 16.

Here is the start of our wings, minus the 4' wing tip fingers.
20150128_074105 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Who's awesome?  You're awesome.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I used a flexible dryer vent covered with painted canvas scales running to a head sculpted with expanding foam.

One nightlight bulb with a red cover put light in the eyes and mouth, and a fog machine at the other end of the dryer vent provided smoke.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Awesome.  Can I get a link to the Moose thread?  I can't find it for some reason even though i'm sure its right in front of me....
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Awesome.  Can I get a link to the Moose thread?  I can't find it for some reason even though i'm sure its right in front of me....
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1688306_Taxidermy_Thread__Moose_edition__UPDATE_1_28_pg4.html
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top