Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Your school is awesome!    We didn't have fun sh*t like that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Edited....  I checked....  It's public.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not dragon related, but some of you will remember the Native American horse bow some students made last year.  

Well, since we didn't have to worry about breaking this one before it got to its owner, we HAD to try it out today.   The young man was pretty apprehensive about pulling back on this very much, and this isn't even the real string..  Got to love our background music one student played from his phone for us.  

He shot this three times.    We will have to do more testing later.  

http://youtu.be/sNzzyh5qpco

Video is set as private.

Edited....  I checked....  It's public.

Better now
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not dragon related, but some of you will remember the Native American horse bow some students made last year.  

Well, since we didn't have to worry about breaking this one before it got to its owner, we HAD to try it out today.   The young man was pretty apprehensive about pulling back on this very much, and this isn't even the real string..  Got to love our background music one student played from his phone for us.  

He shot this three times.    We will have to do more testing later.  

http://youtu.be/sNzzyh5qpco

Cool.

I think your bow is a little stronger pull.  That, and the student is being REALY careful with it.    We may have to take out a cardboard target to try this again.    
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The beams have been deemed worthy....  we just aren't allowed to use the lift to get it up to the installed cables.   It's still sitting in the library.    We were told we could use block and tackle, as soon as the custodian put one together.   Guess how that's going......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OST

I assume you finally got the Stage Couch hung or did the janitor require a re-design to the school roof since he thinks he's suspending neutron star equivalent masses from the ceiling.

The beams have been deemed worthy....  we just aren't allowed to use the lift to get it up to the installed cables.   It's still sitting in the library.    We were told we could use block and tackle, as soon as the custodian put one together.   Guess how that's going......

Find somewhere to borrow a couple chainfalls.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OST

I assume you finally got the Stage Couch hung or did the janitor require a re-design to the school roof since he thinks he's suspending neutron star equivalent masses from the ceiling.

Thank you.  I passed that on to the principal.  He said he would pass that along and see if we could find some.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Update 10/27

Very-  slow-   going, as we've had several failures in parts we were using to get the skull together.   It's together, after three different assemblies and redesigns of the cross member placement and length.  

We still have a couple cross-members to get the skull to stay open and strengthen the entire skull.  We may also put a few more decorative pieces between the skull plates, but we have to think about weight and not getting this already heavy skull to a ridiculous weight.

Tomorrow we will start designing the transition between the neck and the skull.  
</a>IMG_20141027_145314_807 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Needs moar decorative earrings.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure, but if that student has her arm inside the dragon's mouth, remind her what happened when Tyr did that with Fenrir.
Always Think Forfieture Safety!

Looks like a fun project.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Update 10/28

The kids got the mouth opened to where they like it, and reinforced so the upper skull now rests on the lower jaw.    Once its hanging free, we may put a couple more screws in the lower jaw to the upper skull, but the upper jaw is keeping the lower jaw from opening any more, so it really isn't necessary.

They are laying out the cuts in the back of the skull right now to start the transition to the neck.   We think we will also have to remove the first two vertebrae on the neck, as we don't think they will be strong enough to hold up the skull.   We are going to reinforce the neck with side plates too, and they are working on designing the plates to go right behind the skull to give the neck a little more stability.

IMG_20141028_100716_213 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
More from today..

They had to take off one of the face plates to cut the inside cut, but they all match up, and we've got a plan for the neck transition.  
IMG_20141028_145341_116 by guns762, on Flickr" />

We cut off the last two small vertebrae, and got the center cut done.    They are designing side plates to reinforce the whole thing.    Hopefully we will get them cut out tomorrow.
IMG_20141028_145328_777 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Update 10/30

First fitting of the neck and head is a success.   We need to router everything before we screw it and glue it, but the first section of three is now almost done.

</a> IMG_20141030_151812_015 by guns762, on Flickr" />

A close up of our transition piece and side plates.    We are probably going to make a few more for the mid neck too.
</a> IMG_20141030_151825_902 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I forgot to add, my favorite custodian was wandering around my room today looking at it.    

I then was told by a student he was talking shit about it already

He was saying how I was going to be surprised because he had put up this awesome shelving in the last remaining break out room in the "green pod" of the school, and there wasn't room to hang this.  

Good thing we plan on putting it in the other wing of the school; the purple pod, and not the remaining breakout in the green wing.    I've been getting shit from the purple pod teachers about not having any projects in their wing.    Hopefully it fits.  .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I forgot to add, my favorite custodian was wandering around my room today looking at it.    

He was saying how I was going to be surprised because he had put up this awesome shelving in the last remaining break out room in the "green pod" of the school, and there wasn't room to hang this.  

Good thing we plan on putting it in the other wing of the school; the purple pod, and not the remaining breakout in the green wing.    I've been getting shit from the purple pod teachers about not having any projects in their wing.    Hopefully it fits.  .
View Quote

If I made a Pod 6 joke would it go unappreciated?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably, I have no idea what "pod 6" is.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is WYOMING!!!!!!!!!

We have "heros" depicted on other walls in the 2D classroom.   I wanted a real hero, not just The Master Chief, and a pirate that walked funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You teach at a public school and got away with painting a tier one operator with an AR on your classroom wall?????????

This is WYOMING!!!!!!!!!

We have "heros" depicted on other walls in the 2D classroom.   I wanted a real hero, not just The Master Chief, and a pirate that walked funny.

Pic's or lies.

I haven't seen a pic of a pirate....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#18]
That is amazing.

When I was growing up, they cut the art classes and funding.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#19]
So is this going to be a Skyrim stile dragon?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fairly obscure reference to Sealab 2021, refreshed recently on Archer when they made a reference to it in two episodes.

Whenever something goes wrong on Sealab it's always blamed on Pod 6. "I hate Pod 6" "I don't even know why we have a Pod 6" Computer: "Pod 6 flooding"

Surely at least one person in this thread will get the reference.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

This is WYOMING!!!!!!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You teach at a public school and got away with painting a tier one operator with an AR on your classroom wall?????????

This is WYOMING!!!!!!!!!

I actually wrote a paper on that photograph for my art appreciation class in my undergrad degree. It was taken by Scott Nelson in 2002...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pic's or lies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is WYOMING!!!!!!!!!

Pic's or lies.

It's just his skull with beads, and crossed swords under neath.  . I'll see if I can get a shot of it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So is this going to be a Skyrim stile dragon?
View Quote

Pretty close.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#24]
For those that inquired; here are a couple other mural paintings in my rooms.....
IMG_20141031_084518_792 by guns762, on Flickr" />

IMG_20141031_084544_261 by guns762, on Flickr" />

and of course, our zombie warning to those leaving the classroom....
IMG_20141031_084605_646 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I LOVE these threads!

Hows the stagecoach holding up?!

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I LOVE these threads!

View Quote

Still not hung up, but it's still on display.   It gets lots of attention.  People stop by all the time to take pictures of it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#27]
wish I had a teacher like you
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Still not hung up, but it's still on display.   It gets lots of attention.  People stop by all the time to take pictures of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I LOVE these threads!

That's too bad. I LOVE these threads!!! Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#29]
UPDATE 11/3
It's been a couple busy days.  

Kids took apart the skull and neck and routered the entire thing.    They got them all routered on Friday.   We got it back together, ready to be glued and screwed.  
</a> IMG_20141031_101630_962 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a> IMG_20141031_092100_051 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Ribs needed a bit filing on an edge the developed from the routering.    
</a> IMG_20141031_144839_167 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a> IMG_20141031_144900_260 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a> IMG_20141031_152137_268 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh, forgot to post a picture of this guy.  
He's almost done.    He just needs a display to sit on, and a couple small details.  

This is a male.   Most of the badgers we see that are male are this size.    The females seem to always be much bigger.    

IMG_20141031_152223_226 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#32]
That guy needs to be found at the top of a dark coat closet, looking down, with an infrared video game camera with sound running activated on movement.  As a social experiment.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oh, forgot to post a picture of this guy.  
He's almost done.    He just needs a display to sit on, and a couple small details.  

This is a male.   Most of the badgers we see that are male are this size.    The females seem to always be much bigger.    

http://<a href=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7566/15491195508_13b5e536d1_c.jpg</a> IMG_20141031_152223_226 by guns762, on Flickr" />
View Quote

DAD!!!!  NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome work!  I was just telling some friends about your wolf earlier this week.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey OP, my 3.5 year old wants you to name the dragon Smaug. And it should be a red dragon.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey OP, my 3.5 year old wants you to name the dragon Smaug. And it should be a red dragon.
View Quote

He may get a redish color at the end.   Probably more copper.  

They are designing the front shoulder today.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Update 11/4

Long, long, long day.  In fact, it was a moose of a day.

First, we chose to put an anchor point on the skull to hang it and make it easier to keep it from getting broken.   We were going to use only two cables, but upon further examination, we decided we had to have one on the skull. Its just too big and heavy.

We reinforced either side of the center part with a couple pieces of plywood, then drilled through them and added some taxidermy hangers on either side.   We had to take off the side plates to do this.

IMG_20141103_093608_301 by guns762, on Flickr" />

After all together.....
IMG_20141104_070344_044 by guns762, on Flickr" />

A look at the neck reinforcement area all glued and screwed..   Take a look at the little rib we cut down to fit.   Looks cool.  

IMG_20141104_070400_356 by guns762, on Flickr" />

And all together, and moved into the other room while we work on the torso...
IMG_20141104_070327_426 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#39]
And for the other activity today...

We thawed out the moose skin yesterday and started fleshing it in preparation for tanning.  It's a lot of real estate.  

Everybody that wanted got to spend a little time learning to flesh.    We still have some to go tomorrow.  
</a> IMG_20141104_120317_368 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a> IMG_20141104_141347_257 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#40]
LOL, fleshed a moose myself some years ago.
You are WAY smarter than me!

Great work, and thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
LOL, fleshed a moose myself some years ago.
You are WAY smarter than me!

Great work, and thanks for the update!
View Quote

. I did do the ears, and turned the giant fucking nose and lips, but turned over my scalpel in the afternoon.   I was burned out.    

I was also getting a ton of shit for putting a hole in the lower lip by students who will have to sew them up.  

It goes pretty well with 4-5 kids all working together.   They like getting to get their hands dirty, and I don't have to do it all on my own.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow, where were you when I was in high school? Coolest class ever. I would take a class from you now as a 29 year old. That looks like so much fun. Taggage.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Maybe I missed it, however- is that a bull or cow moose? Might need to start your own thread for the moose so it doesn't get mixed up with the dragon
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I brain tanned a squirrel.  How do you soften the hide afterward?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Maybe I missed it, however- is that a bull or cow moose? Might need to start your own thread for the moose so it doesn't get mixed up with the dragon
View Quote

It will get it's own thread when we get a little further along and ready to get serious.  

It's a bull that a friend shot near Jackson, WY.    Nothing huge.    He asked me to do it for him, when he drew the tag.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I brain tanned a squirrel.  How do you soften the hide afterward?
View Quote

Don't have to with a shoulder mount.     It's wet when we put it on the form.   It dries, hardens, and is glued to the form to stay in one place.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It will get it's own thread when we get a little further along and ready to get serious.
View Quote

If you could- post a note here when the moose thread kicks off. Don't want to miss it!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#48]
as always, guns762's projects deliver!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you could- post a note here when the moose thread kicks off. Don't want to miss it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will do that.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Update 11/11

Had to rework the upper leg pattern a little, and we got the front shoulder roughed out.   We still need to router it, but it's -10F with the wind at the moment, so that may take a few more days till it gets a bit warmer.

IMG_20141111_092031_435 by guns762, on Flickr" />

IMG_20141111_091144_868 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top