Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
im getting it now , I'll throw it on hyperV later tonite when i get home ...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
And as usual, it appears that Microsoft continues to turn out one good version (7) followed by a turd (8), followed by a good version (10).

I'll be looking forwards to 10.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Playing with it in VMWare now. Start menu seems nifty.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
So... We're just skipping Windows 9 now?

I think I know why Microsoft products have so many bugs...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]
So what happened to 9?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Version 9 was accidentally by Microsoft.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what happened to 9?
View Quote

Sorta like the GLOCK 40
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So what happened to 9?
View Quote

Because 7 8 9.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what happened to 9?
View Quote

Trying to avoid the inevitable German-language jokes?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because 7 8 9.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what happened to 9?

Because 7 8 9.

Nice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And as usual, it appears that Microsoft continues to turn out one good version (7) followed by a turd (8), followed by a good version (10).

View Quote

"lol" - DK-Prof
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"lol" - DK-Prof
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"lol" - DK-Prof

Yeah Win8 was/is a good OS with some poor interface choices that are correctable. Win10 looks like it's going to be 8 with a start menu and some other stuff on top.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah Win8 was/is a good OS with some poor interface choices that are correctable. Win10 looks like it's going to be 8 with a start menu and some other stuff on top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"lol" - DK-Prof

It'll probably be a Win8 that's improved on the back end, and then turned into windows 7 on the front end except that everything will be square and flat instead of round and bubbly
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks pretty good.  I'm still on 7 and window management is my biggest headache with it.  2 screens is nice, but I need a better way to manage the windows so I can see a lot of different things at once for my job.  And it looks like this will make it a lot easier to do that.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope, Notice they skipped 9? That was the good one. Now when 10 flops they can just say "its the odd numbers that are the good ones,
the evens are the turds!"
They skipped the good one on purpose!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"lol" - DK-Prof

I agree with the robustness....but the entire point of an OS to the lay person is to make it easy to use the PC. If it comes with a shit interface from the factory and you have to jump through 50 hoops to fix it?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nope, Notice they skipped 9? That was the good one. Now when 10 flops they can just say "its the odd numbers that are the good ones,

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

damnit.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I will certainly be giving it a try.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#19]
About how long till the public release of this version?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Windows 10? You mean Windows NT 6.4 ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and trying to get the .iso so I can run it in virtualbox, saying it's unavailable for me.  Do I need to fire up my Win7 VM to download the iso?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
About how long till the public release of this version?
View Quote

Mid 2015 I think for the final release.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and trying to get the .iso so I can run it in virtualbox, saying it's unavailable for me.  Do I need to fire up my Win7 VM to download the iso?  
View Quote

I just went to insider.windows.com and signed in with my Microsoft ID. Then they gave me a download link. If you did that then I guess they might want you to be on Windows.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a total kludge. I've been testing on it for a couple weeks now and the Windows team really needs to sort out the "Some controls are in the old area, some controls are in the Metro area" BS.

Windowed Metro apps is an answer to a question nobody asked, they just want an App Store SO BAD.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what happened to 9?
View Quote

7 ate 9.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's a total kludge. I've been testing on it for a couple weeks now and the Windows team really needs to sort out the "Some controls are in the old area, some controls are in the Metro area" BS.

Windowed Metro apps is an answer to a question nobody asked, they just want an App Store SO BAD.
View Quote

The complete random placement of system settings / tools is my largest gripe with every new version of windows.  I can set an IP address in Win3.11, why does that process need to be revamped with every other new release?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well they should have enough time to sort it out and hopefully the feedback with steer them in the right direction.

Agree that the app store is a total failure. The few times I looked in there when I had a Win8.1 tablet was pretty bad. Almost every app was 3 stars or less. Even on touch controls weren't intuitive and the apps were beyond stripped down.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The complete random placement of system settings / tools is my largest gripe with every new version of windows.  I can set an IP address in Win3.11, why does that process need to be revamped with every other new release?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Win-X, lower-left-corner menu that Win8 introduced was an absolute godsend for stuff like that, unless like me you're used to calling up the network control panel by name from the Run box. It's so useful I'm surprised it made it into the release build, it started as a dev shortcut like the old Vista "God Mode" hack.

If Valve can actually deliver on SteamOS, I can see moving to that for gaming and OSX for my daily work within a year or two. Unless Win10 shapes up a lot between now and release, I'm moving on to something cleaner.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll stick with Windows 7 until it no longer functions well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I had to do.  Downloading the preview ISO on a Win7 VM in virtualbox right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Because 7 8 9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what happened to 9?

Because 7 8 9.
>< click

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone been able to get it to install in virtualbox? Keeps asking me to hold power to reset.

ETA: http://betanews.com/2014/10/01/how-to-install-windows-10-technical-preview-on-oracle-virtualbox/

Make sure you select Windows 8.1 as the window type. I was using Windows other.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey MMcCall how is the stability? ie how stupid would I be to install this on my day to day desktop?

I have good backups but I feel like I'm never going to use it if I just have it in a virtual machine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#34]
So far I like it a lot better than 8.1

It installs really quickly too, less than 4 minutes on one of my esxi hosts at work.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Is it any wonder that Windows started to royally suck just about the time that Microsoft and Windows teams became predominantly Indian-run?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#36]
i got bored at work and im installing it on a old HP core duo 2 , so far so good .
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey MMcCall how is the stability? ie how stupid would I be to install this on my day to day desktop?

I have good backups but I feel like I'm never going to use it if I just have it in a virtual machine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can't speak to stability in everyday use.. my testing has been on VMs and tablets. I wouldn't recommend it though, there's really nothing compelling enough to want it a year early.

Not to mention the preview expires way early this time around.

Quoted:
Is it any wonder that Windows started to royally suck just about the time that Microsoft and Windows teams became predominantly Indian-run?

Comment withheld. Lots has changed just in the last few years.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can't speak to stability in everyday use.. my testing has been on VMs and tablets. I wouldn't recommend it though, there's really nothing compelling enough to want it a year early.

Not to mention the preview expires way early this time around.
View Quote

Didn't realize that thanks. I guess I'll wait a few months.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the heads up. Running 10 on VMware now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#41]
9 helps spread Ebola.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Because 7 8 9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what happened to 9?

Because 7 8 9.

*applause*
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#43]
well i messed with win10 for 30 min ,  its 99% the same as windows 8.1 and the 'start button' is lol , its basically a drag your shortcuts here for later use button.  people going to be mad.

it should be called Windows 8.5
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"lol" - DK-Prof

Nailed it.  I think interface and operating system are two concepts that are inseparable for some people.  

I was using XP, 7, and 8.1 simultaneously at home and work for a period of time and 8.1 was noticeably superior to it's predecessors other than start menu interface which was easily corrected.

If Microsoft had stuck with the old start menu, people would have been posting mind blown threads about how Microsoft managed to get it right twice in a row thus breaking the every other curse.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I agree with the robustness....but the entire point of an OS to the lay person is to make it easy to use the PC. If it comes with a shit interface from the factory and you have to jump through 50 hoops to fix it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"lol" - DK-Prof

50 hoops?  That must be a typo and you meant "50 seconds".  I only jumped through one, maybe two hoops to make it identical to Windows 7.

1)  Change settings to boot to desktop
2)  Install one of the various start menu patch programs

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not so fast---they skipped the good one, Windows 9, and Windows 10 is the turd ME/Vista/8.  Try a Mac.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Not going to do it till Windows 1K comes out. Might be a while but I'm a patient man.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Thank you....my win7 vm was not liking me downloading 2-3gigs for some reason.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Because 7 8 9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what happened to 9?

Because 7 8 9.

Sneaky
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
50 hoops?  That must be a typo and you meant "50 seconds".  I only jumped through one, maybe two hoops to make it identical to Windows 7.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"lol" - DK-Prof

The fact that it is required to use 3rd party software for basic functionality is unacceptable.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top