Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 9:59:34 PM EDT
I walked into my post office today with some misc parts to send, one of which was a B5 SOPMOD stock. I had wrapped it up in blue painters tape, so it basically looked like a triangular blue object. I grabbed my bubble mailers and went up to the clerk, and it went like this:

Me: Hi, I'd like to see what it costs to mail these regular post.
Derp Clerk: What? What is this?
Me: Huh? Things I'm shipping, I want to find out the cost to ship it.
DC: What is it?
Me: What do you mean? It's parts, machine parts.
DC: Machine parts? What type of machine?
Me: What does it matter, none of these items are something I'm prohibited from sending.
DC: (walks away)

There no one else in line, and another clerk right next to me. I just shuffle over and tell him my dude asked me questions and then left. The new clerk chuckled and proceeded to quote me prices. A couple minutes later when I'm about done, Derp Clerk returns with his boss.

DC: (to new clerk) Did he just go to you when I left?
New clerk: Yea...why?
DCs boss: (to me) What is this? (Pointing to B5)
Me: Parts.
Boss: Is this a gun?
Me: No.
Boss: Ok it's not a gun?
Me: It's not a gun, it's a piece of plastic.
Boss: Ok, because you can't mail guns.
Me: It's not a gun, I'm not sure why you think it is.

They left, I checked out, and went home.
This guy really thought I took a gun, wrapped it up in blue tape, and tried to mail it off in a bubble mailer.
I know, cool story.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
They opened it as soon as you left. Hide your dag.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I walked into my post office today with some misc parts to send, one of which was a B5 SOPMOD stock. I had wrapped it up in blue painters tape, so it basically looked like a triangular blue object. I grabbed my bubble mailers and went up to the clerk, and it went like this:

Me: Hi, I'd like to see what it costs to mail these regular post.

Derp Clerk: What? What is this?

Me: Huh? Things I'm shipping, I want to find out the cost to ship it.

DC: What is it?

Me: What do you mean? It's parts, machine parts.

DC: Machine parts? What type of machine?

Me: What does it matter, none of these items are something I'm prohibited from sending.

DC: (walks away)

There no one else in line, and another clerk right next to me. I just shuffle over and tell him my dude asked me questions and then left. The new clerk chuckled and proceeded to quote me prices. A couple minutes later when I'm about done, Derp Clerk returns with his boss.

DC: (to new clerk) Did he just go to you when I left?

New clerk: Yea...why?

DCs boss: (to me) What is this? (Pointing to B5)

Me: Parts.

Boss: Is this a gun?

Me: No.

Boss: Ok it's not a gun?

Me: It's not a gun, it's a piece of plastic.

Boss: Ok, because you can't mail guns.

Me: It's not a gun, I'm not sure why you think it is.

They left, I checked out, and went home.

This guy really thought I took a gun, wrapped it up in blue tape, and tried to mail it off in a bubble mailer.

I know, cool story.
View Quote
Actually you can ship a rifle to an FFL. They had no idea who you were sending it to.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
U can mail guns. They are just fucking idiots
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
pkg was opened before you got back to your car,and yes they thought you had wrapped a firearm with blue tape

I shipped a couple of golf clubs to a buddy a year or so ago and they were convinced I had a rifle in the box,20+ questions and finally opening it to get them to shut up and take it
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#5]
According to USPS, being confrontational and accusatory = providing excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Next time just grab box, head out the door and go to your vehicle and start packing the box with what ever you're gonna send then go back with the box ready to ship and ask away. (provided you're not shipping anything illegal)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
some people...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Just start filming the fuckers.  That's what camera phones & YouTube are for.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:36:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I always pack it before taking it to the PO. Sometimes I'll just use the 24 hour machine or try to print off the label at home. If I need a box, I go grab it and head home to pack whatever it is being mailed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I went through the same derp when I made the mistake of packing a stripped upper in front of the completely clueless gov employee.

You can't mail that!
Me: Why not?
Is that a gun?
Me: Um.. no, it's a part.
I saw it! It's a gun!
Me: No, it's a piece of aluminum.
I don't care, you're not mailing that. I don't have to accept any mail that can hurt somebody.

I rolled my eyes, took it home, packed it up, went back the next day and mailed it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#11]
This is why you package stuff at home
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#12]
The militarization of the USPS.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top