Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sad thing is this will be coming to your state, just a matter of time.  Due to libs controlling education, we are fucked, future generations won't question man made climate change, they will accept it as settled science.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck paper bags and their stupid fucking handles that rip off.

There will be a whole lot of wasted food as a result of this ban.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
As I mentioned in the DUPE of this post, didn't the EPA mandate years ago that plastic bags (the kind you get your groceries in) be biogradeable -- which is one of the reasons that they fall apart so easily?

Like most political moves, this has less to do with health/safety/the environment/the children/the spotted owls than it has to do with... politics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think a bag tax is more appropriate.  Bag use drops by like 80% when you use a simple 10 cent tax, but you still get to throw away bags that have carried raw meat.

View Quote

the facts prove otherwise.
and thats a very big city thinking of you bra....
taxing the bags has minimal impact on usage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think a bag tax is more appropriate.  Bag use drops by like 80% when you use a simple 10 cent tax, but you still get to throw away bags that have carried raw meat.

http://plasticbaglaws.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/study_the-most-popular-tax-in-Europe-2007.pdf
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://plasticbaglaws.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/study_the-most-popular-tax-in-Europe-2007.pdf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so the EU is now the USA...
interesting

different cultures, different reactions to taxes.
americans are far too lazy to bother bringing the reusable bags
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, I want my food to touch the same area as the freak in front me who's Cloth Bags are full of cat hair and what appears to be cat shit. They need to BAN cloth bags.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
interesting

View Quote

It's more like not getting two bags around your milk jug, which happens to have a handle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's more like not getting two bags around your milk jug, which happens to have a handle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
interesting

the law of unintended consequences is a cruel bitch

MYTH: Ireland's 2002 tax on plastic grocery bags reduced plastic bag use by 90%.

TRUTH: This is partially true, but doesn't tell the whole story. Use of plastic grocery checkout bags declined, but sales of packaged plastic bags went up by about 400%, resulting in a net gain in the use of plastic bags. This shows that most people were reusing their plastic grocery bags for tasks where plastic bags are the best solution - trash can liners, picking up after the dog, wet garbage, etc.

MYTH: In 2008, San Francisco banned plastic bags, which resulted in a huge drop in bag use, and an increase in reusable bags.

TRUTH: Yes, since plastic bags were banned, stores stopped using them. But there was not a huge shift towards reusable bags. Instead, there was a huge increase in paper bag consumption. According to all studies, paper bags are responsible for many times the pollution and oil consumption than plastic bags. Paper is heavier, and not as durable, as plastic and requires far more resources to create, and creates much more air and water pollution. In addition to this, the San Fran Ban also practically eliminated bag recycling programs in the city, and after one year, plastic bag litter (the main reason for the ban) had increased.

MYTH: Plastic bags are a major source of litter, and banning or taxing bags will reduce litter.

TRUTH: Plastic bags make up less than one percent of all litter. Cigarette butts, fast food packaging, and food wrappers are much larger contributors. Banning one item that becomes litter does nothing to change the mindset of those that discard trash improperly. Many of the bags that end up as litter blow off of garbage trucks or out of landfills. Landfill operators and garbage haulers should be held accountable for items that escape containment.

Since plastic bags are responsible for less than 1% of all litter, banning or taxing them will have no impact. The solution to litter is public education, recycling programs, and proper disposal.

MYTH: Landfills are overflowing with plastic bags.

TRUTH: Plastic bags are easily recycled, but even if they do end up in a landfill, they take up a small fraction of one percent of landfill space. The average person uses about 326 plastic grocery bags per year, which by weight is about the same as a phone book or two. By comparison, the average person generates around 1500 lbs of waste each year, including recyclables. About half of that goes to landfills.

The major contributor to landfills is paper products. Banning or taxing plastic bags would mean that more paper bags would get used, resulting in more waste going to the landfill.

MYTH: Taxing grocery bags or banning plastic bags will reduce greenhouse gasses and save the planet.

TRUTH: Since bags are a minimal contributor to all the problems associated with them (oil use, litter, landfill volume, etc.), bans and taxes simply won't do anything for the environment. And because the alternatives all require more fuel to create, recycle, and transport, eliminating plastic bags actually increases greenhouse gasses.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Imagine the surprise when all I have to carry my shit is a Magnum XL. Unrolled it could carry a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#12]
just shop in Arizona, they are liberal with giving you bags, you can double bag most of your shit yourself at check out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#13]
SOB! I like my plastic bags for trash can liners
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

now you can buy them...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since garbage bags are "single use plastic bags", will Kalifornians now be required to use paper garbage bags??  Or no bags at all??  It's a shame that such a beautiful state has been overrun with "garbage".
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top