No habla English

[spamish]?May I see your receipt?[/Spanish]

I don't speak that freakin' language either

Lol
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Costco and Walmart are two totally different things. There is a membership agreement at Costco that every member agrees to that states that they will be checking receipts at the door. No such agreement exists at Walmart. Once a customer at Walmart has paid for the goods, the items belong to the customer, and Walmart has no right to examine their receipt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guy is just doing his job. Must you be that way.

ETA: And I take it you have never shopped at Costco.

Costco and Walmart are two totally different things. There is a membership agreement at Costco that every member agrees to that states that they will be checking receipts at the door. No such agreement exists at Walmart. Once a customer at Walmart has paid for the goods, the items belong to the customer, and Walmart has no right to examine their receipt.

What makes you think you have the right to have items that you now "own" on their private property?

If you don't want to your property inspected, don't take it onto their private property.

lol..."They don't have the right"...

Jesus christ....it's a fucking receipt check..some of you act like the gestapo is throwing you into a fucking gas shower.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
They are delaying me from my tight schedule
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wish they'd get as worked up about the assholes running this country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL now the door greeters are getting Nazi references used against them

I wish they'd get as worked up about the assholes running this country.

LOL
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Most of in store losses are from employee theft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The anger should be saved for the buttholes that shoplift and make stuff like this necessary.  Part of the cost of every item we buy is the built in loss from theft.

I get why it feels annoying.  Just saying the real buttholes are the thieves.

Most of in store losses are from employee theft.

It's a tie between internal theft and operational errors. Of course this varies based on location. But in general for big box stores losses are 40% internal theft, 40% operational error, and 20% external theft.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Costco != Walmart
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The anger should be saved for the buttholes that shoplift and make stuff like this necessary.  Part of the cost of every item we buy is the built in loss from theft.

View Quote
This post, right here.

They do these things not to piss of customers but because theft is huge. People have no idea how bad theft is at Wal-mart.  I tell people that any time you enter a Wal-mart there is someone stealing.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
In defense of the Costco checkers, I did have one spot a double-charge on my receipt. Didn't even have to get home to find it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just show it to them. I'm an anti-confrontational kind of guy.
View Quote

+1

One time the old guy stops me and say his boss is watching him and if it was OK if he check the receipt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I normally follow them around shouting "CHECK MY RECEIPT!!!! CHECK MY RECEIPT!!!!!!"

Security then kicks me out...which I then bypass the checker and unload all the crap I stole when I get back home.

WINNING!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When it happened to me ( note I was carrying 2 cases of clay pigeons), I told the old lady, if they suspect I stole something, their loss prevention people should confront me. She followed me 200 yards out in the parking lot berating me.

I laughed at her and got in my truck and drove off.
View Quote

Got similar treatment at Farm and Fleet.  Walked into the store and set the scanners off.  Nobody cared.  Left and set them off again.  I even stopped and let the manager look at my recepit and bags.  

She demanded I turn out my pockets.  I declined.  She demanded to know what the large bulges under my shirt, near my hip were.  I told her they were my gun and knife.  (A Glock 20 and full sized Ka-bar).  The conversation ended.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They do this at all of them, not just yours. Check your privilege
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have done this at Sam's Club in Bangor, ME for years.

Guess I never felt oppressed enough to storm off with my panties in a twist.  

They do this at all of them, not just yours. Check your privilege

Explain?  

How is my statement "horribly privileged?"

I guess I don't follow your internet lingo...  

The Bangor location is 3 hours South of me and the only one I've ever been to...  figured I'd just give a geographic location for it for reference purposes.

I guess I'm just not lucky enough to be well versed in the practices of all the Sam's club locations...  We can't all be as well travelled as you Sir.  Check your privilege.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What makes you think you have the right to have items that you now "own" on their private property?

If you don't want to your property inspected, don't take it onto their private property.

Jesus christ....it's a fucking receipt check..some of you act like the gestapo is throwing you into a fucking gas shower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because I am on someone's property does not give them the right to inspect my belongings. You can put "own" in quotes, but it doesn't change the fact that after the transaction is complete I own those items 100%. That I am an invited guest on their private property makes not one bit of difference. So no, they don't have the right me or my belongings.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So buy your Cheap Chinese made shit somewhere else.  
View Quote

Agreed.

The Wal Mart haters should write to the CEO of Wal Mart.  Tell the CEO to, "get bent."  Wait to see if the policy changes.

It seems to me, that a lot of posters just like to puff-up infront of the lesser wage earners.

That being said..........

I'd like to caution some of the people who make those snide remarks to the receipt checker person (who is just doing their job) that in most jurisdictions (by law) the store security and/or store personnel have the authority to "detain/investigate suspected shoplifters and call the police where/when approiate."   It's just a matter of a court ruling, one way or the other, if the mere act of refusing to show a receipt, is enough to cover the store/security personnel to "detain and further investigate someone for possible shoplifting."  

And, when you think about it....say that the security officer wanted to issue you a trespass warning.  Doesn't it make sense that the security ID you?  I know, I know......"I don't need to show anyone a stinking ID card."  

So anyway, the case needs to make national headlines.

I just hope that someone else doesn't have to get their leg broken just to prove a point over this receipt checking practice.  BTW, I know that the Costco incident was more complex than just about checking for a receipt.  But, it did make national headlines and got people thinking.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But they don't have that right, even if you do bring it onto their property (I don't recall any sign that says they reserve the right to inspect persons/packages, and even then if I'm not mistaken doesn't actually carry as much legal weight as most people think it does).

They have the right to ask you to show them your receipt and if you refuse, they have the right to tell you to leave.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess we should be thankful for being molested at the airport, the Patriot Act, the phone tapping, internet spying and all the other necessities that come from wanting to be safe from terrorism?

I mean those butthole terrorists are the ones that made it this way and all....

Target is a much nicer store, and they don't do that.  I hate going to Walmart.

I believe it all started so they could just give old people a job and somehow it morphed into the 'door guard' position?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Over the last 10 years, every time I leave a walmart I say to myself......never again.  I think a couple weeks ago was the final straw. Several weeks ago in the Sunday paper wally world had an ad for hundred round packs of Federal shotgun shells for 19.94   I stopped at the one near my place of work. They didn't have any Federals and the guy said they were expecting them in "soon", but they had none for the sale. Then he pointed out they had 100 packs of winchesters for 26.97.  No thanks.   On the way home I stopped at 2 more wally worlds. Same story.  
  Couple days later I figured that maybe I should ride out to a store that is in a rural area......about 20 miles away. Same damn story, and they keep pointing out they have the Win.@ 27 bucks. All told, I went to 11 different wal marts, over a distance of about 45-50 miles from the farthest two.
  Nothing but a bait and switch scam. Fawk wal mart.
The next week, Dicks had their sale on shot shells. Went in and they were ready for a sale.....must have had at least a thousand boxes of 12/20 ga shells.
View Quote

There was a nationwide memo to price match the winchesters to federal price. I bought a shit ton of the winchesters for $19.94.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#20]
You won't see most thieves stealing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

"No thanks.  I am not a thief."
View Quote

Almost exactly what I say at the walmart here when they get receipt check happy. Its not so much the check that bothers me, its the waiting in line to show them I am not a crook.. and they do the same thing here when they get all militant about it, every item going through your bags.. uhhh no.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You won't see most thieves stealing.
View Quote

The ones who do the most damage openly push out cartfuls of high priced merchandise.  They are actually the reason for the receipt checkers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Guy is just doing his job. Must you be that way

the guy operating the gas chambers in prison camps was only doing his job. Dumb overused example for sure but what the fuck does "only doing your job" have to do with making it right?

Long story short if you don't like it don't shop there. Do you even capitalism bro?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

103rd?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our Wal-Mart has been hit by a bunch of thievery lately, lots of recent security.  Normally, the guards only want to see your papers if you have something not bagged.  That is still a PITA, but their store, their rules and all that shit.  Lately, they are checking every time anyone walks through the exit door.  Tonight, I had to wait in line for one of the two registers who were trying to set a record for the slowest MoFo's on the planet for ringing you out.  Then, this dude was at the exit holding everybody up checking EVERY GOD DAMNED ITEM in their basket against the receipt...  I went around the exit line and began to walk out the door.  "Excuse me, Sir! Can I see your receipt?" I hear as I pass the line...  Me: "No!", and continued walking.  No further incident.  But the entire thing is starting to piss me off.

Questions
-Where did I miss that I get to be patted down when I leave the fucking WalMart?
-What makes "No" the wrong answer?
-Why don't they just holler 'Papers, Please!"?
-If there are only two registers, two bouncers, and one open door; why doesn't WM just put one guard on the registers so the Nazis can watch your shit be rung up, and the other roam the floor instead of holding you up at the exit line?

Fucking WalMart.
IBCSB

103rd?

Fucking FSA Central
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Just.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:17:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I paid for everything on my receipt therefore, I have no problem with a store employee checking that I didn't shop lift.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Wal mart is a stretch for me. But I understand if they have been having issues.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck Costco and BJ"S, I have somehow managed to enjoy life without spending money in their stores so far.

If don't do business with places whose policies disrespect me or waste my time and I actually laughed out loud at you're "he's just doing his job" comment.

Disrespecting people for a living deserves the same in return, so what if he's probably too stupid to realize why people don't appreciate that kind of treatment.

I never allow them to check my receipt and purchases. If they want to accuse me of stealing something then they should get it done and see who ends up regretting their actions.

If you don't stand up to it then you're only encouraging more  of it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Loss prevention is a big deal in most stores.  I generally don't have a problem showing my receipt being treated like a thief.
View Quote
FIFY

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Asking to check your receipt is not treating you like a thief.
Tackling you and calling the cops would fall under that category.

OP is one of those people that's above the rules, and whose time is more important than everyone else's.

Give the guy making min wage a break, if you want to be a total self righteous DBAG, go scream at the store manager about "their" policies that you don't want to follow.

Anybody who ever lived in a large enough city, got used to this aspect of retail YEARS ago. This isn't a new thing folks.

Quoted:

Really...  Being treated like a thief every time you walk through a particular set of doors and not being legally or contractually obligated to comply; and being dismayed about it makes me 'childish'?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering most of the people doing that are elderly, and just trying to make ends meet and/or have something to do instead of sit stagnant and die, I kindly oblige and show them, because I was taught to respect the elderly and all other people I interact with in society until I am done an actual wrong.

I doubt your life is that packed full of importance that you can't at least just deal with it.  

Put the blame on the thieves, not the person working for a living.

Grow the fuck up.

Really...  Being treated like a thief every time you walk through a particular set of doors and not being legally or contractually obligated to comply; and being dismayed about it makes me 'childish'?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:45:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Once the store takes your money for goods, they are your goods, you don't owe them jack shit after the fact.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That being said..........

I'd like to caution some of the people who make those snide remarks to the receipt checker person (who is just doing their job) that in most jurisdictions (by law) the store security and/or store personnel have the authority to "detain/investigate suspected shoplifters and call the police where/when approiate."   It's just a matter of a court ruling, one way or the other, if the mere act of refusing to show a receipt, is enough to cover the store/security personnel to "detain and further investigate someone for possible shoplifting."  

And, when you think about it....say that the security officer wanted to issue you a trespass warning.  Doesn't it make sense that the security ID you?  I know, I know......"I don't need to show anyone a stinking ID card."  

So anyway, the case needs to make national headlines.

I just hope that someone else doesn't have to get their leg broken just to prove a point over this receipt checking practice.  BTW, I know that the Costco incident was more complex than just about checking for a receipt.  But, it did make national headlines and got people thinking.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

You need PC to detain a suspected shoplifter in nearly all states. Refusal to show a receipt doesn't cut it.

lol
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:50:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I had one follow me all the way to my car,he just stood there looking  in my window as I drove away
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:50:29 AM EDT
[#34]

OP: "Don't fuck with me, I'M A BADASS!"
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Anybody who ever lived in a large enough city, got used to this aspect of retail YEARS ago. This isn't a new thing folks.

View Quote

Just because big city folk are used to it don't mean that the rest of us have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#36]
"I got your receipt hangin'...RIGHT HERE!"
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#37]
I work in Baltimore shitty, and it's like that at every store.
Now, when I go back to "gun-toting, bible-thumping, lily-white, etc., etc." home, they don't do that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering most of the people doing that are elderly, and just trying to make ends meet and/or have something to do instead of sit stagnant and die, I kindly oblige and show them, because I was taught to respect the elderly and all other people I interact with in society until I am done an actual wrong.

I doubt your life is that packed full of importance that you can't at least just deal with it.  

Put the blame on the thieves, not the person working for a living.

Grow the fuck up.

You are treated like a thief every time that you walk in and you still go back??  Obviously the only option left is to tell the handicapped greeter lady/receipt Nazi to get fucked and leg sweep her on your way past the next time around.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just because big city folk are used to it don't mean that the rest of us have to deal with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously it does, if you want to shop at that particular Wally World.  First world problems.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Calling it your job old hoss sure don't make it right , and no, nevah been in Costco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calling it your job old hoss sure don't make it right , and no, nevah been in Costco.

If you want me to, I'll say a prayer fo yo soul tonight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Over the last 10 years, every time I leave a walmart I say to myself......never again.  I think a couple weeks ago was the final straw. Several weeks ago in the Sunday paper wally world had an ad for hundred round packs of Federal shotgun shells for 19.94   I stopped at the one near my place of work. They didn't have any Federals and the guy said they were expecting them in "soon", but they had none for the sale. Then he pointed out they had 100 packs of winchesters for 26.97.  No thanks.   On the way home I stopped at 2 more wally worlds. Same story.  

Couple days later I figured that maybe I should ride out to a store that is in a rural area......about 20 miles away. Same damn story, and they keep pointing out they have the Win.@ 27 bucks. All told, I went to 11 different wal marts, over a distance of about 45-50 miles from the farthest two.

Nothing but a bait and switch scam. Fawk wal mart.

The next week, Dicks had their sale on shot shells. Went in and they were ready for a sale.....must have had at least a thousand boxes of 12/20 ga shells.
View Quote
Why didn't you call and ask?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see no point and hassling employees, and a simple "no, thank you" would suffice.  However, if you believe your bought and paid for items are subject search and seizure due to being on private property, I believe that sets a bad precedent for other things.  

I.e. : "Sir, we need to pat you down, and will confiscate any weapons found."

But, I'm a low post count '13er and don't know anything
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

"Freedom".

"Sovereignty"

"Submit"

"Big Picture"

At WALMART?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "big picture" is that Americans are being trained to submit. You're giving up your freedom and Our sovereignty one little bit at a time.

"Freedom".

"Sovereignty"

"Submit"

"Big Picture"

At WALMART?

Wallyworld has the right to ask, we have the right to refuse.

What is the next generation supposed to think? How are we supposed to explain the value of privacy from .gov to the next generation, when we don't stand up for it from private companies? .gov is supposed to have more authority than private companies, so what precedent does it set when we roll over today for the private sector?

Everyone is free to do as they wish, but the danger lies in increased mass complacency.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Negative on bagged items.

On un-bagged items I keep receipt in hand.

Something about power-washers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I heard a black guy shouting, "No!  I know the real reason why you want to check it!"  Or WSTTE.
View Quote

Definitely WSTTE
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#46]
I always just tell them "No thank you" and keep walking.  One of these days if they catch me in the right mood I'm going to do  "These are not the droids you're looking for."  I'm not going to be rude to them, but there is nothing at Walmart that says I have to let them check my receipt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Welcome to check my receipt provided that I am in  no rush and you're not slowing me down.

However, stores like that need to get more monitors rather than checkout LP's.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
"No thanks.  I am not a thief."
View Quote

I imagine that's what the thief says but the employee should know only the thief would be the one stealing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#49]
I follow the TSA checkpoint way of showing I'm not a thief / terrorist.  Shop in  flip flops and a speedo showing there is no place for you to hide a weapon or stolen merchandise.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#50]
I usually just hand it to them and keep walking.  I'm just going to throw it away when I get home, might as well let them throw it away.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top