Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Personal pics of Air Assault missions I've ridden on, infil'd from:

The view for passengers is much better from the Huey

1/506th Inf in Korea

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Field of View from Support By Fire Position

Assault elements flying into the valley after we shifted and lifted fire for the birds

Sniper Section Leader (with NM M14) and one of our Snipers w/M24

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

How many fully loaded combat troops could the H model Hueys reasonably accommodate? I know that with the weaker Vietnam era D models, that largely depended on fuel load, extra equipment being carried on an assault, altitude, heat and a bunch of factors. But under optimal conditions, could the Huey carry an entire 9 man rifle squad? I've heard stories of as many as 15 people being crammed into the troop compartment of Hueys during emergencies, but having been in the troop compartment of those birds, there just isn't much space compared to the Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The troop space was definitely less on the Huey, but the view, even with doors closed, was amazing.  I'm trying to remember how many hooahs with rucksacks we could fit in there.  I think 11 was max.

The big difference in cargo capacity with the Huey was the engine compartment's intrusion into the center of the main open area, which isn't the case with the crash hawk.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And one particular Brigade seems to be the Army's choice when it comes time to assault a hostile LZ. Don't they, my brother? They got the chances to do it during Desert Storm, Operation Anaconda, and the opening drive of OIF.

http://www.inkace.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/8/187th_rakkasan_tori_symbol.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air Assaults are fun to watch as long as there is no one on the ground to repel the invasion. This is the reason that parachute assault is a thing of the past.

This is the reason the Marine Corps shit caned the idea in 1944.

Landing on a hostile DZ certainly contains risk. Kind of like an amphibious assault against a hardened beach.

And one particular Brigade seems to be the Army's choice when it comes time to assault a hostile LZ. Don't they, my brother? They got the chances to do it during Desert Storm, Operation Anaconda, and the opening drive of OIF.

http://www.inkace.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/8/187th_rakkasan_tori_symbol.jpg

32heaven best brigade....pffft...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How many fully loaded combat troops could the H model Hueys reasonably accommodate? I know that with the weaker Vietnam era D models, that largely depended on fuel load, extra equipment being carried on an assault, altitude, heat and a bunch of factors. But under optimal conditions, could the Huey carry an entire 9 man rifle squad? I've heard stories of as many as 15 people being crammed into the troop compartment of Hueys during emergencies, but having been in the troop compartment of those birds, there just isn't much space compared to the Blackhawk.
View Quote

I flew H models form '87 to '96 including ODS with the 101st..  We, generally, ran with an ACL of 6 or 8 depending on environmental conditions and what they were humping.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Aww. They are like real helicopters, only smaller.

A 12 ship company of CH47s could have brought in that many troops, and twice the guns in one trip.
View Quote

You'd be gainfully employed but it sure wouldn't be carrying pax.

You can't even imagine how much shit you have to sling to Air Assault an entire Inf Bn, nevermind an entire Bde..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I flew H models form '87 to '96 including ODS with the 101st..  We, generally, ran with an ACL of 6 or 8 depending on environmental conditions and what they were humping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes more sense.  I remember it being very few with rucks, and by rucks, I mean man rucks, not nerf rucks. There just isn't a lot of room in there.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can't even imagine how much shit you have to sling to Air Assault an entire Inf Bn, nevermind an entire Bde..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aww. They are like real helicopters, only smaller.

A 12 ship company of CH47s could have brought in that many troops, and twice the guns in one trip.

While he may now be flying school buses in Korea, CFII previously flew Kiowa's with 2/17 CAV, and Shithooks with the 101st. I'd wager he's fairly up-to-speed on the lift requirements of an air assault.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If that is the BDE air assault conducted back in April, I got to be part of that. Flew in a shithook with an 81mm section. Pretty fucking cool to see all those birds come in at once.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Why are they flying so slow?

They'd never make it in the NAVY flying like that.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top