Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2014 6:21:16 PM EDT
I am bringing this to Arfcom because I can't seem to find any info online and the other forums are slooooow and somewhat unresponsive.    Plus we have all walks of life on this board so maybe I can get some better advice.

Bought an 03 Vulcan 1500 about 6 months ago(it has around 30k miles on it).  Changed fluids right away and rode it for 2000 miles with no problems. Changed the oil a week ago and also checked the wire screen filter for the first time and there is metal on it. Cleaned it rode it another 500 miles this week and check the screen again and there are still metal flakes on there.

I am not sure where the flakes are coming from but a good portion seem to stick to a magnet. I have perceived a slight change in shifting the last 2 days.... it seems like there is way less resistance in dropping into 1st from Neutral. And although it may be unrelated to my metal/oil problem I have had the bike drop into Neutral on its own while sitting in 1st gear at a stoplight (two times in the last few months).

I guess I need to know where to start. I don't want to ride it if it keeps coughing up metal. But where do I start looking in the engine? Are there any common issues that people have had crop up? For example: shifting levers bending or internal parts coming loose and getting shredded? Bearings? etc....   I don't know whether to start in the top end, right or left side of the motor.

On some of my other bikes I knew what common problems they had...... but can't find a starting point for this one.     Where would you start looking for the culprit?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Jap's combine motor and trans oil= metal flakes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#2]
These engines are pretty good runners.
How many total miles on the bike?
Regular motorcycle oil (JASO MA)?
when you say drop down into neutral from first you me up? Do you feel it jump out of 1st or just see the green light?

How much metal and do you have pics?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Also, come post this in the cars and bikes forum...they can help you out...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Metallic flakes from the clutch are pretty common. How many miles are on it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
(Posting in the Cars & Bikes subforum will net you more replies, probably.)

I wouldn't freak out, not quite yet.

The unit construction and shared sump means your motor oil is also your tranny oil, and nothing wears out oil more than transmission gears. There are some metric v-twins that have a separate oil tank for the transmission, which allows you to use longer lasting 80- or 90-weight gear oil. Don't think yours is one of them, though.

Another thing to remember is that your oil is not only being shared by the motor and the transmission, but also by the clutch.

As far as your tranny jumping out of gear on its own, first check for proper clutch adjustment. There is an adjuster on the cable itself. And if you have the type that is pushrod activated, there will be an access cover on the primary/final drive cover.

You do have the owners manual, right? And after buying the bike, the first thing you did was order a factory service manual, right?

Incidentally, you should be using quality synthetic oil, if you're not already.

Lastly, join and login to vulcanforums.com. You'll get immediate answers from people who can answer in specifics rather than generalities.

Ride safe!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
These engines are pretty good runners.
How many total miles on the bike?
Regular motorcycle oil (JASO MA)?
when you say drop down into neutral from first you me up? Do you feel it jump out of 1st or just see the green light?

How much metal and do you have pics?
View Quote

About 30k miles.     Regular motorcycle 10w40.

I have a pdf version of the Service manual and a Clymer's manual.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you drinking motor oil right now?    
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Yeah the slipping out of 1st into neutral may be unrelated I just felt like I should include everything in case it was a clue or helpful.    Yeah it wasn't just the Neutral indicator light coming on..... I would see the light on and start to let out the clutch and it was physically in Neutral even though I always stay in 1st at a light (in case I need to get out of the way of someone who doesn't stop).

I have pics but don't have any online account for them anywhere.    I thought you could post pics directly here..... but don't see the option now.  ?

Bikernut:    Yeah I am on the Vulcan forums.    Started a thread on it and got nowhere....... I have pics posted over there though.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you make clutchless shifts? You might have a bent shift fork.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.    I apply a slight pressure on the shift lever, then clutch and it slips cleanly into gear.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
  Nope.    I apply a slight pressure on the shift lever, then clutch and it slips cleanly into gear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is still hard on the transmission and I would bet that is causing at least part

of what you are finding.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
My guess would be transmission gear dogs wearing out. If the metal bits look like small flakes, it's probably the surface hardening chipping off the dogs. One symptom of worn dogs is when the transmission pops out of gear when accelerating or under a heavy load. Be sure to use an oil that is formulated for (unit construction) motorcycle engines.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Metallic flakes from the clutch are pretty common. How many miles are on it?
View Quote

THIS!

Wet fricton clutch.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
the metal that is sticking to the magnet is coming from the transmission. probably have bent shift fork(s) and/or worn/damaged shift drum. accelerating wear/damage to the gears
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I would say slipping from 1st into neutral on its own isn't normal at all.   That's even a safety issue.  If you expect it to be in 1st when you need it, it better be in 1st.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#16]
It could be really bad, or normal.

You need to take it in and let a shop look at it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is still hard on the transmission and I would bet that is causing at least part
of what you are finding.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

of what you are finding.

It shouldn't be hard on it at all.    These bikes have strong square cut gears and are known for clunking into gear.   If you put slight pressure on the shift lever before you clutch..... it is quiet and effortless.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My guess would be transmission gear dogs wearing out. If the metal bits look like small flakes, it's probably the surface hardening chipping off the dogs. One symptom of worn dogs is when the transmission pops out of gear when accelerating or under a heavy load. Be sure to use an oil that is formulated for (unit construction) motorcycle engines.
View Quote

It has never popped out under load or acceleration.    I have another bike that popped out of 2nd when I bought and I fixed it so I am familiar with that phenomena.

My primary concern is the flakes though.   It looks like confetti almost.

Is there any way to post pics without an online account?    Or maybe I could post pics before when I had a membership.    

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]

First time I changed the metal screen filter is pic 1.

One week/500 miles later I changed the oil again and this was in the filter screen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Clutch plates too.
Need pics of oil to determine.
Fine particulate like glitter dust is normal.
Different sized larger flakes of different colors not so good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Those chunks can't be good for the oil pump. WOW
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
 It shouldn't be hard on it at all.    These bikes have strong square cut gears and are known for clunking into gear.   If you put slight pressure on the shift lever before you clutch..... it is quiet and effortless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

of what you are finding.

Not true, it stresses the shift forks which leads to them bending and then that leads

to more damages to the transmission.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#23]

The problem with the 1st pic is that I don't know if the previous owner ever knew to clean this filter after the initial break-in or if that media has been trapped on the screen the whole time.   Some of those bigger chunks were kind of like a solidified additive and looked like amber.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Right and the flakes usally come from the trany all using the same oil source, in other words you better have a good filter to your engine, if it gets to your oil pump your done.
Quoted:

Clutch plates too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clutch plates too.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#25]
The good news is that the magnetic filter kept that crap from circulating inside the engine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to dragrace streetbikes and I would have that much or more stuff

in my oil. I ran an air shifter on it. Most of it was from the plates and some

from the clutch basket. They would take a beating from all the passes I would run.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Yeah I am glad there is a metal screen filter, regular oil filter and magnetic drain plug...... so fingers crossed......    I just want to nip this in the bud.    And make sure it isn't an ongoing problem.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yeah I am glad there is a metal screen filter, regular oil filter and magnetic drain plug...... so fingers crossed......    I just want to nip this in the bud.    And make sure it isn't an ongoing problem.

View Quote

What is your normal oil change interval?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#29]

So the consensus is shifter levers, clutch, or drum/dogs............    anything tranny related I am going to have to split the cases............argggh!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Normally 3000 miles.   But I have only had this bike a short time.     I always change the fluids a lot more right after I get a bike.     So this is the 3rd oil change in the 2500 miles I have put on it this summer.    I didn't check the screen until the 2nd oil change a couple weeks ago because I didn't have a manual when I did the first change (and didn't know where it was).

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

None of my other bikes have had metal flakes.   Ever.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]
That's the downside of buying a used bike. If you're really worried, sell it in the Spring.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's the downside of buying a used bike. If you're really worried, sell it in the Spring.
View Quote

True.     Or try to fix or rebuild it over the winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top