[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FYI: and here i'm assuming he came in through DFW ;

Number of on-airport employees: approx. 60,000

Number of daily passengers: approx. 165,580

not good.
View Quote

If he completed travels on 9/20 and became symptomatic on 9/24 I think the best evidence is he would not have been symptomatic on any flight or flights he may have taken. That is probably why in the press conference they would not say what flight number/numbers he was on. And all that assumes the patient took a commercial flight.

If the risk to other passengers is zero, giving out that info would only lead to unneeded concern among  them and their immediate contacts which would only risk further taxing health systems, don't you think?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But hey! Let's just let EVERYONE in!

It's all part of the plan

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well shit.
View Quote

FBHO
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

FBHO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well shit.

FBHO

The Obamameda Strain.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If the risk to other passengers is zero, giving out that info would only lead to unneeded concern among  them and their immediate contacts which would only risk further taxing health systems, don't you think?

View Quote

We don't know yet if risk to other passengers is "zero", a bit premature to assume that don't you think?

"risk further taxing health systems"  

Are you fucking shitting me? This is your primary concern in this matter?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

dibs on guns
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I was in that area over the weekend in dallas...

... I work in a building that has about 500 people in it....

... I hope I didnt get it.

dibs on guns

Too bad you cant have em, being up in NY n all
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Reason #87 CA > TX
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Will the run of the mill anti-bacterial soap do anything against this ?  How do you kill the virus on a surface?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife works with a bunch of people who do missionary work in Africa.  A lot of them are still intent on going there, not caring if they'll pick it up, too stupid to realize picking it up means bringing it back.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Let's see, I need to buy another AR, maybe a308 this time, and ammo, lots of ammo, or an AK and lots of ammo, need more ammo...
View Quote

This is how panics start.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We don't know yet if risk to other passengers is "zero", a bit premature to assume that don't you think?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When he says "taxing" he means "burdening", and it's a very valid concern.  It would result in an inordinate surge of people flooding to the hospitals in an effort to seek treatment that they don't need.  Availability of health care is a very, very, finite resource, perhaps much more finite than you'd be comfortable knowing.  Hospitals and emergency services can and are very easily overwhelmed, and that scenario needs to be carefully avoided.  Remember what happened with .22 ammo? it's kind of like that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think they need to suspend the "patient's rights" approach in this instance as a matter of public safety.  They should post this person's photo on the local news and tell people if they have been in contact with this person that they need to go to the hospital immediately for testing and evaluation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
man im scared

I'm genuinely scared also. I've always been scared of Ebola. I've made it my mission to read up on it, educate my self as much as I can about it, and it still scares the day lights out of me. All political bashing aside I hope they get their heads out of their asses and contain the fuck out of this.

I think they need to suspend the "patient's rights" approach in this instance as a matter of public safety.  They should post this person's photo on the local news and tell people if they have been in contact with this person that they need to go to the hospital immediately for testing and evaluation.

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If he completed travels on 9/20 and became symptomatic on 9/24 I think the best evidence is he would not have been symptomatic on any flight or flights he may have taken. That is probably why in the press conference they would not say what flight number/numbers he was on. And all that assumes the patient took a commercial flight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not good.

Don't information control me bro.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

short on facts and long on meaningless statements.

However his job is not to inform, his job is to put people at ease, except I don't think he accomplished that due to talking around so many questions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've gotta say, that CDC press conference did not fill me with confidence.

However his job is not to inform, his job is to put people at ease, except I don't think he accomplished that due to talking around so many questions.

Exactly.  You put people at ease by providing facts, unless the facts are actually alarming.  Sooooo....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Hipaa will kill us...

Fuck Hipaa when dealing with infectious diseases.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
man im scared

I'm genuinely scared also. I've always been scared of Ebola. I've made it my mission to read up on it, educate my self as much as I can about it, and it still scares the day lights out of me. All political bashing aside I hope they get their heads out of their asses and contain the fuck out of this.

I agree.

If it was me I would appreciate that. The lady at Walmart who grabbed my sweaty arm to give me a sticker and the neighbors who's hand I shook need to know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#20]
In the old days the Surgeon General or a county health director  could declare a quarantine.  We should do that with anyone who is arriving from West Africa.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#21]
The man in the hospital:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hipaa will kill us...

View Quote

HIPAA only deals with privacy of PHI in electronic records.  I don't see how that matters in the ebola outbreak.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not good.

If he was sitting next to you, and shared a bowl of ice cream with you on 9/20, forget about it. There's zero risk to you, and there's no reason to notify you that he came down with Ebola. Don't worry bro, it's all good. Zero risk, ya know. We know SO much about Ebola, it's amazing ANYBODY could get it. When you don't come down with Ebola after having unprotected buttsex with the dude the morning of the 21st, we can hold you high as an example of how hard it is to catch. Zero risk. When he got hit in the face by a soccer ball while playing in the park and got a bloody nose on the 22nd... Non-factor.

Bunch of goddamn Nancy boys around here, I'm telling ya.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Like I said in the other thread, let me know when it's 2 or 3.....Then I panic!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#26]
What are the chances he infected the flight attendants (touching bags of snacks, drink glasses or water bottles), or another passenger (snotty nose wiped on hand, hand touches seat, next passenger puts his hand there), then the infected people fly out of Dallas? Was that plane grounded and the other passengers contained, or did it make it to another destination.... like Port Columbus Intl.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not good.

He went to the hospital on 9/24.

How did he feel on 9/23? A little feverish, maybe?

How about 9/22? Just a little cough?

9/21?

I think he must have had some symptoms before he showed up at the hospital bleeding out of his eyeballs.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Go to 0:55 in the video.  

He Arrived in the US on the 20th.
Showed symptoms on the 24th.
"Sought care" on the 26th.***  
Admitted to hospital on the 28th.

***I envision this guy going to some doc in the box place, infecting everyone there, being slapped on the ass with a diagnosis of "viral illness" and going about his business.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Exactly.  You put people at ease by providing facts, unless the facts are actually alarming.  Sooooo....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've gotta say, that CDC press conference did not fill me with confidence.

zactly
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Was this one of those people off that freighter?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+100
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that's just fucking great.

We need to cease all incoming air traffic from Africa and any other country that allows flights from Africa.

+100

thatsracist.gif
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

***I envision this guy going to some doc in the box place, infecting everyone there, being slapped on the ass with a diagnosis of "viral illness" and going about his business.  

http://youtu.be/XHEFDxPpPak
View Quote

Your link is all kinds of fubar....

Seems to be another news story that breaks in and you can't hear what the good dr. is saying
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Was this one of those people off that freighter?
View Quote

No, this was a commercial flight.... IIRC the freighter was malaria.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Seems to be another news story that breaks in and you can't hear what the good dr. is saying
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah a minute or so is fucked, the rest is good.  It's the only one I could find that had all 30 minutes, the rest are 10 mins long.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ship him across the border to Mexico
View Quote

That's a surefire way to ensure that it comes back to America.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Ship him across the border to Mexico
View Quote
So he can infect 1,000 people who will cross the border in the next 4 days?  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I bet a whole lot of people will stay home this election... Especially older people, afraid of getting sick.

Hmm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
man im scared

Completely agree. A lot of good points in the thread so far!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I bet a whole lot of people will stay home this election... Especially older people, afraid of getting sick.

Hmm.
View Quote

Maybe, but we all know the dead vote Democrat, and they seem to have nothing to do but to vote.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My wife works with a bunch of people who do missionary work in Africa.  A lot of them are still intent on going there, not caring if they'll pick it up, too stupid to realize picking it up means bringing it back.
View Quote

1st world "gods will" right there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well in fact that would be an accurate diagnosis.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#42]
they should be stopping americans from going to africa, and  requiring everyone entering from africa to have to sit in  quarantine for about 2-3 weeks, or until they are sure they are not infected.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#43]
CDC director on Fox News right now. Same answers as last nights press conference.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
HIPAA only deals with privacy of PHI in electronic records.  I don't see how that matters in the ebola outbreak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hipaa will kill us...

WRONG. Wrong. Wrong.

I seriously hope you dont work in healthcare.

Hippa covers PHI in all forms. The HITEC act/amendment to HIPPA in 2009 covers PHI in electronic health records.

So much derp in this thread. The sky is not falling.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Tinfoil getting extra shiny -

First, when there is a serious pandemic, why is there no quarantine incubation period for travelers?

Second of all possible terror?  Is the dudes name Muhammad ?  Nobody knows.

It sure would be a good case of plausible deniability and a case of ebola contaminated person entering the US, come at a time when the US is a huge target for terrorism.  Liberia is a country a wash in muslim peace lovers that would love to deliver a disease to the US.  Make it appear accidental - infect someone who will be returning and has an excuse to go to the US.  deny its terrorism 0- in fact the US government will assure its not, even if they never know for certain.  They are more worried about people losing faith in their government than the true risk of public health.

Public health authorities are working to track down anyone who may have come into close contact with a man who was confirmed Tuesday to be the first case of Ebola diagnosed in the U.S.

Little is known about the patient, including his name, age, and nationality. Officials say he lived and worked in Liberia, where he likely caught the disease from one of the thousands infected in that country, but showed no symptoms when he flew back to the U.S. Sept. 19. As a result, no one who traveled with him on that flight is at risk of Ebola.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Drudge reports a second possible case now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Drudge reports a second possible case now.
View Quote

Probably a close family member at the patient zero home. Likely the wife or kid.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not good.

Is it possible he was infected on the plane by someone else?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So if you are given the flight number and date - what exactly do you/I plan to do with that information?

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top