Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it common to pay for actual water usage in Texas (same as electricity, or natural gas, or...), or do they just flat rate it? Do you pay by the gallon, or...?

I guess I don't understand the water restrictions. Just jack the price if it's scarce and needs to be conserved. I'd have to think that staring down a potential $400 water bill would encourage some spontaneous creativity in the conservation department.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it common to pay for actual water usage in Texas (same as electricity, or natural gas, or...), or do they just flat rate it? Do you pay by the gallon, or...?

I guess I don't understand the water restrictions. Just jack the price if it's scarce and needs to be conserved. I'd have to think that staring down a potential $400 water bill would encourage some spontaneous creativity in the conservation department.
View Quote

Every house I've ever lived in, I got a bill by the gallon.

Apartments may be different.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish there was more outdoor recreation in TX. Seems like the best states in that regard are all occupied by liberals.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they raise the per gallon price when water is scarce?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's all a bunch backwards and racist rednecks here.  Stay away!
View Quote

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Goddamn Northerners need to stay the hell out of our beloved homeland.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wish there was more outdoor recreation in TX. Seems like the best states in that regard are all occupied by liberals.
View Quote

Texas is fun for outdoors.... if you own the land or have a buddy that does. That is why I'm looking at Colorado.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

You pay by the gallon typically. I may have this wrong but water restrictions in Dallas usually seemed to mean that you couldn't water your grass or fill swimming pools but everything else seemed ok.

They also encouraged a lot of people to try and conserve water in general but I don't think people really do.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Every plant either has thorns or is toxic, some have toxic thorns.  The animals either want to eat or rape you.  Water is salty, muddy or toxic too.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Terrible weather and every animal here wants to kill you.
Every plant either has thorns or is toxic, some have toxic thorns.  The animals either want to eat or rape you.  Water is salty, muddy or toxic too.    
Hard Country made hard people.  Anybody that fought the land, the weather, and the Comanches was hard.

Don't dilute it any further.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per 1000 gallon, I believe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You pay by the gallon typically. I may have this wrong but water restrictions in Dallas usually seemed to mean that you couldn't water your grass or fill swimming pools but everything else seemed ok.

They also encouraged a lot of people to try and conserve water in general but I don't think people really do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing encourages conservation of a scarce resource like stupid high prices. It's probably political suicide, but it would technically work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly don't know.  I assume not, or someone would scream about it.  We never use much water so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the bill.

Austin (since we're already talking about it in this thread) is currently on water restriction.  

The Lakes that service that area are currently at 34% capacity.  I know that sounds crazy low, but at current usage rates they don't think additional restrictions will be necessary until December of this year at the earliest...and I'll go ahead and hazard a guess they won't be needed at all.  We're supposed to have a pretty wet winter, which will help dramatically.

As high as population and usage is, the real issue is simply rain.  This has been an historic multi year drought, and lake levels will improve when it finally rains again.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where I'm at, it starts becoming like an incremental tax bracket....once you go over X gallons, your price goes up to Y.   Not proud of it, but I had a $2k water bill one month.  I knew it was going to be bad, but never thought the water meter guy would actually come knock on my door to give me a warning.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've thought so for a while myself.  Desal uses a ton of electricity that we don't have capacity for either, but you can build a new power plant a lot easier than you can make water out of nothing.  Will anyone have the stomach to try to get the permits for a new nuke plant though?  And the enviro-weenies will pitch a fit about disposing the salt.

How bad do they want their water though?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

This is probably the biggest problem facing the north Texas area.  We've got a decent residential boom going but we're outstripping our water capacity.  Restrictions get tighter every year and the reservoir levels never get back to where they were the previous year.

Yet we insist on building out more cookie cutter communities with horseshit HOA-required landscaping that needs 8 fucktons of water to support.  You have to fight an uphill battle in a lot of places to pull off xeriscaping.  Yes, herp-derp, don't move to a HOA community, but that's where most of the new homes go.  You really don't have a choice most of the time if you want new construction near the jobs.

Forget the oil boom, we're going to need a water boom.  At some point it'll be lucrative to put in a desalination plant on the gulf coast and pipe the water up.  I'm in for $100.  

Nuke plants powering desalinization operations are the future of that region.

I've thought so for a while myself.  Desal uses a ton of electricity that we don't have capacity for either, but you can build a new power plant a lot easier than you can make water out of nothing.  Will anyone have the stomach to try to get the permits for a new nuke plant though?  And the enviro-weenies will pitch a fit about disposing the salt.

How bad do they want their water though?

We have already overbuilt for the water supply.  Desal is the only realistic option.  They just need to kick off the two new reactors at the Baytown station, ongoing mess that it is.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We're full.

View Quote

I'm curious and I probably won't get an honest answer in GD, but it seems inevitable that people are moving to TX with the way your economy is right now. Wouldn't you rather welcome people on a largely conservative forum such as this with open arms, and have them take the place of the average transplant from CA? I don't understand the animosity towards "foreigners" in TX.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]

So they can see the illegal invasion fort hand?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm curious and I probably won't get an honest answer in GD, but it seems inevitable that people are moving to TX with the way your economy is right now. Wouldn't you rather welcome people on a largely conservative forum such as this with open arms, and have them take the place of the average transplant from CA? I don't understand the animosity towards "foreigners" in TX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're full.

Natural counter response to some of the butthurt whiners in GD that bash Texas constantly.

Don't let it bother you.  If you're a conservative gun owner who isn't going to start every sentence with "Back in _____, " you'll be welcome.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Where I'm at, it starts becoming like an incremental tax bracket....once you go over X gallons, your price goes up to Y.   Not proud of it, but I had a $2k water bill one month.  I knew it was going to be bad, but never thought the water meter guy would actually come knock on my door to give me a warning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch. Some type of commercial application, or you just really like watering that lawn?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy fucking shit.

I gotsta know - how did it get that high? Any idea how many gallons that was?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm moving to TX next year.

See you soon, Texbros.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Texas would have even more jobs if it could expedite the increases in fiber optic cable and other infrastructure necessary to attract the tech companies from California.

Many businesses would love to move there, but without the right infrastructure they just can't.
View Quote

Well if that truly is an issue and we ever get it fixed, the companies are welcome but the liberal employees can stay the hell in California. Plenty of capable folks here to hire.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

See you soon, Texbros.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

See you soon, Texbros.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Texas is going to build itself out of it's water supply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're full.

Texas is going to build itself out of it's water supply.

This is a fact.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Holy fucking shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy fucking shit.

Plan HAD been to have the new house finished in October of 2006 when it would have been late enough in the year to just let the yard be dirt until spring.  Unfortunately we got done in August and the wife insisted on grass.  Hydroseed in August in Texas....we pegged the stupid-meter on that one.  I've forgotten how many gallons, too painful to hang on to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Now, I'm kind of wondering how things compare. I found my last water bill, and I paid $58.12 for 2,940 gallons last month. So...just shy of $0.02 a gallon, taxes, fees, service hookup, and all. This also includes sewer, for what it's worth. I guess they figure if you use it, they gotta dispose of it.

If my rate is tiered, I can't tell by looking at the bill. But anyway, that's what I pay in an area of the country that has NO problem with water.

This is my backyard - I don't own a sprinkler. Seriously. It gets watered when it rains (which is all the damn time, it seems like ).

How does this compare to Texas, out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See you soon, Texbros.

http://dc508.4shared.com/img/HlSC1ozC/s3/creepy-performance-art.gif

I love you.

Quoted:
Quoted:

See you soon, Texbros.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Now, I'm kind of wondering how things compare. I found my last water bill, and I paid $58.12 for 2,940 gallons last month. So...just shy of $0.02 a gallon, taxes, fees, service hookup, and all. This also includes sewer, for what it's worth. I guess they figure if you use it, they gotta dispose of it.

If my rate is tiered, I can't tell by looking at the bill. But anyway, that's what I pay in an area of the country that has NO problem with water.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/Chardon/2014-09-10%2019.09.11.jpg

This is my backyard - I don't own a sprinkler. Seriously. It gets watered when it rains (which is all the damn time, it seems like ).

View Quote

This year we had a lot more rain but not much. We're still in a water restriction. A year or two ago we had over 100 straight days of 100F+ and very little rain.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If I *had* to move to Texas, I'd probably try to relocate to somewhere around Austin, politics of the place be damned. I figure the rest of the state does a fine enough job keeping them in check, where it matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plenty of fiber where it is needed - had fiber in my back yard in 2000 in central Austin.

That said, Austin is not really in Texas, now is it.

If I *had* to move to Texas, I'd probably try to relocate to somewhere around Austin, politics of the place be damned. I figure the rest of the state does a fine enough job keeping them in check, where it matters.

For some reason, Plano keeps calling my name.  Maybe Pasadena.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Your sandbox is the closest thing to most of my yard in the summer.  It's all I care to pay for to keep nice grass immediately around the house and moisture around the slab.

A couple of buddies that I worked with just relocated to Minster, OH from here in central TX.  I was up there a few times for startup work, was very jealous of the nice lawns with zero sprinklers.  Of course, when I first got there, they said it was the first time in 3-4 months they had actually been able to see any of that grass due to all the white stuff.  Always a trade off.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/Chardon/2014-09-10%2019.09.11.jpg

View Quote

I have a half acre lot and a 2500 square foot house and the water bill for the wife and I is averaging about 140 dollars a month.  We have a garden and flowerbeds that need to be watered all the time.  We live southwest of Houston and are in a subsidence district.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Texas has plenty of rain.

IN the East.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

That seems a little higher than here, I don't pay attention to our bill(wifey pays it) but you sure don't use much water. Seems I saw one of our bills and we used 10K gallons in one month, was about $65 or so.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I wonder what it would be like if Wendy Davis wins the election....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Your sandbox is the closest thing to most of my yard in the summer.  It's all I care to pay for to keep nice grass immediately around the house and moisture around the slab.

A couple of buddies that I worked with just relocated to Minster, OH from here in central TX.  I was up there a few times for startup work, was very jealous of the nice lawns with zero sprinklers.  Of course, when I first got there, they said it was the first time in 3-4 months they had actually been able to see any of that grass due to all the white stuff.  Always a trade off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

True. My little town got 142.5" of snow last year.

What I was curious about though, was how water bills/rates compared to an area that's suffering a drought. To my mind, mine seems a touch on the high side ($58.12 for 2,940 gal), and we've got more water than we know what to do with. But I dunno?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Texas has plenty of rain.

IN the East.
View Quote

+1  Piney Woods region looks a lot more like SubNet's lawn than most areas of TX.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh fuck that!! Doubt she will but still, that's a damn scary thought.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It'd be a lot more fun to wonder what it'd be like to get a blowjob from a different Dallas Cowboys cheerleader every day, since the chances of either happening are the same.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I love you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See you soon, Texbros.

http://dc508.4shared.com/img/HlSC1ozC/s3/creepy-performance-art.gif

I love you.

Quoted:

Quoted:

See you soon, Texbros.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What I was curious about though, was how water bills/rates compared to an area that's suffering a drought. To my mind, mine seems a touch on the high side ($58.12 for 2,940 gal), and we've got more water than we know what to do with. But I dunno?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We're under a much less severe drought than Austin and my bills are at home, so I have no idea.  

Here's Austins rates starting Nov 1 of this year.

VOLUME UNIT CHARGE: ALL VOLUMES
UNIT RATE PER 1,000 GALLONS
Single-Family Residential
0 - 2,000 Gallons $ 2.93
2,001 - 6,000 Gallons 4.49
6,001 - 11,000 Gallons 7.29
11,001 - 20,000 Gallons 11.03
20,001 - over Gallons 13.93

Plus of course fees, surcharges, and other sundry crap.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It'd be a lot more fun to wonder what it'd be like to get a blowjob from a different Dallas Cowboys cheerleader every day, since the chances of either happening are the same.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it really matter all that much? I was under the impression that the governor in Texas didn't wield as much power and influence as other governors. Wouldn't you want to worry more about the Lieutenant Governor?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Yours does seem high per gallon - $0.0197 if your numbers are right
Mine - $0.0043 per gallon for the first 10k gallons, gradually going up to $0.01 once you hit 60k gallons.
Boerne, TX (NW side of San Antonio) - $0.0063/gallon (last bill for my in-laws who are under constant restriction, have a pool and can still water 1 day per week - water sucking St Augustine grass )

Damn, the difference is all in consumption.

ETA: note that my house and in-laws are on septic so no sewer fees involved, not sure how much that factors in for you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Would it really matter all that much? I was under the impression that the governor in Texas didn't wield as much power and influence as other governors. Wouldn't you want to worry more about the Lieutenant Governor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which instance is more likely to spur an even greater influx of libtards, in both the short- and long-term?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We're under a much less severe drought than Austin and my bills are at home, so I have no idea.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VOLUME UNIT CHARGE: ALL VOLUMES
UNIT RATE PER 1,000 GALLONS
Single-Family Residential
0 - 2,000 Gallons $ 2.93
2,001 - 6,000 Gallons 4.49
6,001 - 11,000 Gallons 7.29
11,001 - 20,000 Gallons 11.03
20,001 - over Gallons 13.93

I actually found my free breakdown for single family residential:

0-1,000 gal $8.79
Each 100 gal additional - $0.70 per 100.

So Austin actually pays a shit ton less than I do, which I find...remarkable. And I haven't even figured my sewer rates in yet. Those are based on water usage, too.

Fascinating.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, but a lot of tards vote straight ticket, so if the Dem is winning the governors office chances are you're in trouble all the way down the line.  Governors race is a good barometer of the parties position in the state.  

The latest polls show Abbot up anywhere from 8 to 18 points, and the one poll I've seen for Lt Gov race had the Republican up by 15.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We're full.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hype.  

Texas ain't that great.
View Quote

Let me guess: born, raised, and have never been outside of it?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hype.  

Texas ain't that great.

Been to New Mexico, Colorado, Louisiana, Alabama, Oklahoma, North and South Carolina, and Mississippi.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's all a bunch backwards and racist rednecks here.  Stay away!
View Quote

I wish that was the case
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they tell you not to water the lawn on certain days.  The bulk of the homes are equipt with irrigation systems to keep the grass from dying and the foundations from cracking in half.

ETA....I just moved to TN.   No water issues here that I can tell.  Although, we are in the middle of a drought.  It's been at least a week since it's rained

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top