Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/30/2014 9:15:11 AM EDT
My driveway (huge ass 1/3 mile long hill) requires use of 4X4 drive to make it up during the winter. My 2000 Ranger is nearing the end of the road and I need to buy a new vehicle. I see tons of stuff that is listed as AWD. Never owned or really know anything of AWD. Is it the same as a 4X4? People with FWD or Rear wheel drive NEVER make it up my driveway past December. Should I stick with a 4X4 or will AWD do the job?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
They are two different things.  Depending on how the AWD is configured and who built it you shouldn't have any problems.

Personally I would stick with the 4x4 as they are typically designed for more clearance.... which can be an issue with deep snow.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
impossibly good replacement for a ranger

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
AWD is for light snow and slippery roads, depending on the manufacturer it may be lighter duty. Get a 4X4
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#4]
how deep does the snow get?

I've found threw owning both that keeping the bumper from pushing the snow is more important.

AWD cars work really nicely on slick snow pack or icy roads. once the bumper becomes a plow your stuck.

best has been a large AWD vehicle.

the 95 4 runner I learned how to drive in, could plow threw pretty deep snow, but sucked ass on ice.

the Audi's I've had since then were awesome on snow pack and ice, predictable and controllable.

the Touareg I now use in the winter is best option, AWD with low and locking center diff. I think it would have to be about waste deep before I get stuck.

Either way, tires are also very important.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Only concern is the driveway. I plow it, but due to the constant wind, it's always 2-3" deep. It's a steep trip up. So, I'm not pushing snow, but it's always icy and snow covered. People who come our here in anything but 4X4 always get stuck 3/4 of the way up when the car tires just start spinning.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm guessing you don't plow your drive?

If that's the case then an AWD car type vehicle is going to get stuck simply because it lacks the clearance, not because of the drive system.

Something like those Subaru wagon things do very well in the snow, up to a certain depth.

View Quote
This is what I came to say.

Subaru has the grip and most of their wagons clearances aren't that much less than that of a stock 4x4 ranger.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The better AWD systems combine traction control, and process real time slippage/response many times a second, and CAN be pretty awesome while they are working.
The Suboobaroo dykemobiles have a damn good record of dealing with the lighter slop, and icy roads, and holding up.

4x4 with a rear locker still wins though. The trade off is at the pump for the longer service life and simpler, more robust, drive line.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
What is it about your driveway that needs four wheel drive? Is it muddy, iced over, snow, or does it double as a timber truck road and you don't resurface it?

If you're using 4 wheel hi to get up the drive, a "good" AWD system with appropriate tires may work, especially in a Subaru or other vehicle that still has 8+ inches of ground clearance.

If your driveway gets giant ruts in it from other people attempting to drive it, you might be better off with a 4x4.

ETA: found the place where you say it is just 2-3 inches of snow. Get a Subaru with decent tires.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is it about your driveway that needs four wheel drive? Is it muddy, iced over, snow, or does it double as a timber truck road and you don't resurface it?

If you're using 4 wheel hi to get up the drive, a "good" AWD system with appropriate tires may work, especially in a Subaru or other vehicle that still has 8+ inches of ground clearance.

If your driveway gets giant ruts in it from other people attempting to drive it, you might be better off with a 4x4.
View Quote

Iced over snow on a giant hill. Sounds like AWD may be good to go. Wife loves the Dykemobiles, so maybe that...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#11]
AWD is fine for your traction needs. Keep it sane and you will have no issues.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Iced over snow on a giant hill. Sounds like AWD may be good to go. Wife loves the Dykemobiles, so maybe that...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL When I had a Forester, one of my lesbian friends said "You've got a Lesbaru!"

The nice thing is, you can get a Forester (check the ground clearance though) with a turbo and have a "stealth" sports car. The Outbacks have the best ground clearance. I'm hoping by the time we need a new car the XV (Impreza with Outback suspension) will have a turbo option.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Get both!

Toyota Land Cruisers. Full time AWD with low range (and several locking diffs) when needed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
My rav4 is AWD but I can lock the center differential at speeds below 25mph
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get both!

Toyota Land Cruisers. Full time AWD with low range (and several locking diffs) when needed.
View Quote

If you're spending that much, I'd rather have the top of the line 4Runner with both, and buy two.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Subaru has the grip and most of their wagons clearances aren't that much less than that of a stock 4x4 ranger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's the case then an AWD car type vehicle is going to get stuck simply because it lacks the clearance, not because of the drive system.

Something like those Subaru wagon things do very well in the snow, up to a certain depth.

It depends on how clearance is calculated. The floor pans or lowest dangly point or axles.

The floor pans are what gets the AWD cars in trouble in heavier snow. Damn things become a Tobaggan and get high centered at a certain point of pushing snow. 4-5' wide drifts can be busted, but the 50' drifts of 2' stuff get them every time.
If a stock Ranger on P235's is doing fine, a Suboobaroo should do fine. The Subies might even be a bit heavier.

Last Ranger I had, was a friggin' handful in the slop, even with 200lbs of sand bags. I hated that little truck.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It depends on how clearance is calculated. The floor pans or lowest dangly point or axles.

The floor pans are what gets the AWD cars in trouble in heavier snow. Damn things become a Tobaggan and get high centered at a certain point of pushing snow. 4-5' wide drifts can be busted, but the 50' drifts of 2' stuff get them every time.
If a stock Ranger on P235's is doing fine, a Suboobaroo should do fine. The Subies might even be a bit heavier.

Last Ranger I had, was a friggin' handful in the slop, even with 200lbs of sand bags. I hated that little truck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it is sloppy, but it was only 4k when I bought it, and I hav dumped over 100k n her. Tranny is going though, and with 198k on the clock, I'm not going to replace it. Think I'll go check out some Subarus today, sounds like you guys say they are okay.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My rav4 is AWD but I can lock the center differential at speeds below 25mph
View Quote

Land rover used that idea starting some 30 years ago and it works really well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, it is sloppy, but it was only 4k when I bought it, and I hav dumped over 100k n her. Tranny is going though, and with 198k on the clock, I'm not going to replace it. Think I'll go check out some Subarus today, sounds like you guys say they are okay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subarus are flat fours (or sixes) and their underbody looks like a Matchbox car--nothing sticks out out lower. They're also some of the most reliable cars out there. Generally, Subaru stays a generation or two behind cutting edge, which tends to make their stuff more durable. They're also incredible in crash tests.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#20]
My situation is similar to yours.  My driveway is about 1/4 mile long, most of which is a steep gravel covered uphill incline.  Even in the summer, many front or rear wheeled cars have trouble making it up.  I bought a Subaru Outback 3 years ago, and have not had a problem once getting up, even when it was covered with 8 inches of snow last year.  It actually does better then my 4X4 Nissan Titan and Toyota Sequoia.  The mileage is much better though.  There are not many AWD cars that can get 28+ average MPH. (That is what I get with alot of hilly driving.) I have a friend that has a newer outback who is not nearly as aggressive a driver as I am, and she gets around 33+ MPH overall.  

The 2.5L engine with CVT transmission will get you the best mileage.  It gets better mileage then the smaller Imprezas without the CVT.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#21]
It depends on the AWD system.  The beauty of a 4x4 is you have High and Low range which will give you different gear range and will also split the power sent to the front and rear wheels depending on which range you are in.  High if I remember right is usually 40/60 and Low is 50/50 front to rear power.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Well since you are going to look at them I'll add a +1 for the Forester. Ours for work goes places that shock me. As long as it has clearance and decent tires it will get there. Then it will give me a solid 26mpg back out on the highway. I bought the Forester for work last year for ~$2500 with 260k+ on it and my guys always grab the keys for it when going to a job site that has a long haul to it. Now don't get me wrong it doesn't ride cushy per se but it is more sedan like than any pickup. The Taco is the consistent 2nd choice now amongst my crews.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#23]
awd= front wheels slip power is sent to rear wheels, typically no human interaction.
4wd= transfer case that splits power 50/50 between front and rear, typically comes with a low range setting as well.

awd will probably be fine for a driveway/pavement scenario.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#24]
It depends on the AWD system. There are a lot of different types. The cheaper ones are usually "bolt on" to FWD cars and use a lot of electronic aids like brake force distribution to control slip.

Audi and Subaru would probably be my top two choices depending on your price range and vehicle needs. Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Acura, and Volvo are all worth a look too. Range/Land Rovers are very capable vehicles but I have never heard a single good thing about them as far as longevity.

No matter what type of 4WD or AWD system you get, proper tires make a HUGE difference in performance. If you have that many problems you may want to invest in a 2nd set of wheels with snow tires for the winter.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It depends on the AWD system. There are a lot of different types. The cheaper ones are usually "bolt on" to FWD cars and use a lot of electronic aids like brake force distribution to control slip.

Audi and Subaru would probably be my top two choices depending on your price range and vehicle needs. Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Acura, and Volvo are all worth a look too. Range/Land Rovers are very capable vehicles but I have never heard a single good thing about them as far as longevity.

No matter what type of 4WD or AWD system you get, proper tires make a HUGE difference in performance. If you have that many problems you may want to invest in a 2nd set of wheels with snow tires for the winter.
View Quote

This.  Subaru's system does well moving power around.  Other systems have trouble on uneven traction surfaces:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Only concern is the driveway. I plow it, but due to the constant wind, it's always 2-3" deep. It's a steep trip up. So, I'm not pushing snow, but it's always icy and snow covered. People who come our here in anything but 4X4 always get stuck 3/4 of the way up when the car tires just start spinning.
View Quote

2-3".  AWD, no problem.  I had a Subaru Outback, it was like a cat in the snow.  It was quite remarkable, actually.  I've always had 4x4, but never felt lacking when I had the Outback.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
awd= front wheels slip power is sent to rear wheels, typically no human interaction.
4wd= transfer case that splits power 50/50 between front and rear, typically comes with a low range setting as well.

View Quote

There are many, many, different AWD systems. Some split the power 50/50 with mechanical transfer between all four tires.
That's one extreme.
What you describe is the other extreme.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My driveway (huge ass 1/3 mile long hill) requires use of 4X4 drive to make it up during the winter. My 2000 Ranger is nearing the end of the road and I need to buy a new vehicle. I see tons of stuff that is listed as AWD. Never owned or really know anything of AWD. Is it the same as a 4X4? People with FWD or Rear wheel drive NEVER make it up my driveway past December. Should I stick with a 4X4 or will AWD do the job?
View Quote

You get several inches of snow in Somalia?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

There are many, many, different AWD systems. Some split the power 50/50 with mechanical transfer between all four tires.

That's one extreme.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's one extreme.

This. Even going to the manufacturer's website they don't always give you the full details on how the 4WD/AWD system works. They're all configured differently depending on the manufacturer. It's actually kind of mind boggling how many types of systems there are. Sometimes if you don't find the detail you went check out a car forum, or hell even ask here for that matter.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If you're spending that much, I'd rather have the top of the line 4Runner with both, and buy two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get both!

I got my cruiser with front and rear locking diffs and center locking transfercase for 5k.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Had a similar driveway at our place in the PA mountains.  Even plowed, it was a pain in a wet frozen winter.

My Denali XL (Suburban) with AWD had no issues nor did my wife's Mercedes ML500 (weird Mercedes AWD). The Denali would make it up with 6" of unplowed snow if necessary.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I got my cruiser with front and rear locking diffs and center locking transfercase for 5k.  YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both!

I was assuming new. I'm unlucky. I'm not one of those Internet GD people that can always find a perfect $300 Glock or buy a decent 10 year old used car for $2000 that runs perfect.
I also live in a high rise, so have no place (or real desire) to work on a car.
ETA: changed used car price to be lower and more in keeping with GD purchasing...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#33]

I have seen old Subaru's do stuff from Silver Lake sand dunes of Michigan to the Tillimook forest or Oregon that were mind bending.  

But as the video above demonstrated not all AWD's are created equal.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#34]
If I were driving in long durations in snow and ice on the road I would have AWD. If I ventured off road and had to drive daily through adverse conditions I'd take a 4x4 with selectable locking axles. Tire selection plays a big part.

Maintenance wise the AWD option can be $$ to repair and if it breaks your stuck. With 4x4 if you lose your xfer case/front axle you can still make it out in rear wheel drive or if you lose the rear axle you can limp home in front wheel drive.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#35]
We sold our selectable 4WD TrailBlazer for an AWD Enclave.  It works.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Climate change
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought the wife a Mazda CX7 AWD with traction control.
It works great in rain, ice and snow.
I was amazed at the traction it has and how well it works on ice and snow.
It works well in "light" 4x4 conditions (improved dirt roads with mud / snow / ice / wheel ruts).
It has no problems climbing the steep hills when they are snowed or iced over.
It's no 4x4 though.

Her next vehicle will be an AWD.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Snow in Somalia. This the probably the same "Southern Snow of Aggression" that attacks the warmer climates such as the SE US. The question isn'y  4x4 vs AWD its which has the most cargo area for when your stranded on the highways for hours or days on end.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Would you rather have something that will probably make it but might have problems every once in awhile....OR something with plenty of ground clearance and the ability to do utility work if needed, even in snow?

Get a new F-150. Auto 4x4, 10" ground clearance without running boards, and you can put real tires on it if needed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Subaru's is AWD all the time. LSD in the rear, LSD at the center diff, and not sure about newer models, but some have a front LSD as well, like the STi.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#41]
For the "once in a while" I have found cable chains work really well in really bad weather, when you really need to get there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I love my Dykemobile this is my second WRX, not lots of ground clearance but never has got stuck in Wisconsin winters.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Drivetrain is important, but proper snow tires make all the difference as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I've had plenty of 4x4 trucks and SUV's and if I were driving primarily on road, I would definitely choose the AWD option. They're simply better configured to handle changing conditions that you might encounter on a winter roadway. Heavy ponding rain, light snow, deep snow, mud...doesn't matter and no worries about engaging or disengaging the transaxle. If my drive was heavily rutted, muddy or snowy and this was a continual condition during the winter, I might consider a part time 4x4 vehicle like a truck or old school SUV. They are more capable for the rough stuff, but less safe for the vast majority of on road conditions.

The older gen2 Rav4 that we have as a second car does remarkable in the snow, ice or even light mud. However it's a true 4x4 50/50 split all the time. The newer Rav4's are the far less capable, but more fuel efficient AWD system. I don't know about all the other AWD systems available today, but as has been said, they differ considerably in capabilities.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#45]
If had to pick only one. 4X4 because of the extra ground clearence.  If staying on roads, nothing wrong with AWD
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got a late model Equinox AWD and last winter in deep snow and slick ice it worked magnificently.  I had so much fun trying it out on non-cleared back roads.  Nothing stopped it.  We tried it up against a Honda Pilot that has 'real 4WD' and the Pilot ate snow dust.  My Equinox has the factory Michelin Latitude tires on it.

GM seems quite secretive on the details of the Theta platform AWD system but from my own experience it works very well.  I have full confidence in getting where I need to be.  The ETC system also uses the power distribution of the AWD system and I can tell you it is hard to do anything stupid with it on.  Color me impressed!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

We sold our selectable 4WD TrailBlazer for an AWD Enclave.  It works.
View Quote

Good to hear. Just bought a AWD Enclave last month. Hopefully can go north this winter and find some snow for the kiddies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#48]
get both.

I have F150 4x4, Audi A6 Quattro, and Audi A4 Quattro.

The Audi's are a blast in the winter, total beasts in the snow. Deep snow and drifts are nothing, ditches, not so good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I was assuming new. I'm unlucky. I'm not one of those Internet GD people that can always find a perfect $300 Glock or buy a decent 10 year old used car for $2000 that runs perfect.

ETA: changed used car price to be lower and more in keeping with GD purchasing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get both!

Mine is low mileage for a toyota.  Only 278K on the clock.  Runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Get both!

View Quote

Hmm...which Land Cruiser model does this? Years?

That combination would seem to be my ideal vehicle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top