Quoted:

I believe this is actually spot-on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me guess how they are going to change this.

The answer is more blacks in uniform but in a different role...meaning they don't have the full authority of police officers and don't have to meet the same standards.  They will partner with the officers, always the white ones, and act as bi-lingual, bi-cultural advisors.  Their job is to help the white officer gain full situational awareness in  the ghetto environment and help diffuse situations that may lead to questionable arrests.  Their presence will assure the black community leaders that there is over watch on the white power structure and the white management benefits by a black eyewitness to the white officers' actions confirming the officers' reports.

So, basically comic-relief sidekicks?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Gee, and here I thought the process went like:

Pool of applicants apply.
Most qualified applicants are considered.
Most qualified applicant is hired.

Just out of curiosity, barring qualification, do they have total numbers of applicants, by demographic breakdown?
If their argument is equally qualified officers are being turned away, gross applicant statistics/numbers would be helpful.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The answer is more blacks in uniform but in a different role...meaning they don't have the full authority of police officers and don't have to meet the same standards.  They will partner with the officers, always the white ones, and act as bi-lingual, bi-cultural advisors.  Their job is to help the white officer gain full situational awareness in  the ghetto environment and help diffuse situations that may lead to questionable arrests.  Their presence will assure the black community leaders that there is over watch on the white power structure and the white management benefits by a black eyewitness to the white officers' actions confirming the officers' reports.

Sidekicks who can tell the white officer to let the armed robbery suspect in possession go because, "I know his people. He a good kid."
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They're going to make the police tests harder.

Much like Dear Leader Obama, the tests aren't stimulating enough to hold the attention of such intellects.

So...yeah, standards will definitely be raised and tests more challenging.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're going to make the police tests harder.

Much like Dear Leader Obama, the tests aren't stimulating enough to hold the attention of such intellects.

So...yeah, standards will definitely be raised and tests more challenging.

The Department of Justice forced us to make our tests easier to get more blacks on the department.  They said we were discriminating through the use of "elevated standards".

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
. . . and so it begins, even here in Maine

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/29/news/portland/blacks-in-portland-arrested-at-disproportionate-rate-police-chief-admits/

PORTLAND, Maine — Portland’s black population is underrepresented on the city’s police force and overrepresented in the arrest logs, Police Chief Michael Sauschuck told an audience of more than 50 people Monday night.

Of Portland’s approximately 66,000 residents, 7 percent are black, according to 2010 U.S. Census figures.

Sauschuck said on Monday night that out of his 163 police officers, only three, or less than 2 percent, are black. Of the 3,500-plus arrests his department made in 2013, he said, 18 percent were arrests of black people.

View Quote

View Quote

i will take supposed racism for 200 alex..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yup that place sucks. F the city life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Portland

Yup that place sucks. F the city life.
Amen to that .

Having grown up in South Portland and actually living in Portland , Kennedy Park no less , back in the 80's , I agree wholeheartedly .....fuck the Greater-Portland shit-hole . I hate even driving through it on I-295

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A couple of years ago, our HR was complaining to the Chief that we were not hiring enough women.  One of our smart ass jailers started putting police applications in the female in-custody property bags when they were being released.  HR got a 25% increase in female applicants and was rejecting 99% of those.  The Chief told city council it was HR's fault for turning down applicant prior to processing.  We never heard another word about it from HR.

True story.

View Quote

Brilliant!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Here we go. They're gonna HUD your Sherriff's Dept. and really fuck shit up now. I'm not against diversity; diversity is a good thing. But this isn't really diversity. This will be about lowering standards and being forced to deal with the associated drop in quality that comes with lowering standards.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Well if all the black dudes in Portland have a criminal history, what are they supposed to do?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Portland, the liberal cess pool of Maine!!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well if all the black dudes in Portland have a criminal history, what are they supposed to do?
View Quote

Sort of like the "common denominator" that they're conveniently ignoring, huh? All this PC is just a lowering of the bar.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I assume if you are a felon you can't be a cop so the imbalance is self-inflicted.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I assume if you are a felon you can't be a cop so the imbalance is self-inflicted.
View Quote

There's always Tennessee.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Erect me if I am wrong......

But of the 8 Portland Trailblazers, 6 are Black.    That is 75% of the the team.

That is a GROSS misrepresentation and I for one am going to protest until the percentage of Blacks on the Trailblazers is representative of the greater Portland population.

(disclaimer, I found this picture after a quick Google.  I have no idea if this is the entire team, or just a part.  I also assume the geeky white guy not in uniform is a water boy or coach or something so I did not count him)
YMMV
FBHO
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So do they believe that hiring black cops will reduce black crime?
Will only black officers be called to black crime?
View Quote

That does not seem to be the goal of some of these activists.  They don't seem to be interested in changing behaviors that result in arrests, rather change or end the enforcement of said negative behaviors.  This is why so many black activists do their communities such grave injustices.  They constanly search for external boogeymen, instead of addressing internal issues endemic in the black community.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/leiasparents/Trail-Blazers_web_zps2a576e7c.jpg
But of the 8 Portland Trailblazers, 6 are Black.    That is 75% of the the team.

That is a GROSS misrepresentation and I for one am going to protest until the percentage of Blacks on the Trailblazers is representative of the greater Portland population.
(disclaimer, I found this picture after a quick Google.  I have no idea if this is the entire team, or just a part.  I also assume the geeky white guy not in uniform is a water boy or coach or something so I did not count him)

YMMV

FBHO

Sic Semper Tyrannis

View Quote
Wrong Portland............go to Portland Oregon, head east until you hit the Atlantic ocean!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s13.photobucket.com/user/leiasparents/media/Trail-Blazers_web_zps2a576e7c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/leiasparents/Trail-Blazers_web_zps2a576e7c.jpg</a>
That is a GROSS misrepresentation and I for one am going to protest until the percentage of Blacks on the Trailblazers is representative of the greater Portland population
View Quote

Wrong Portland.
ETA: Damn, 40 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought the title said "Poland" at first.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
"Equality!"...But on a bell curve. That doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just remember its a stereotype not a cold hard fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Just remember its a stereotype not a cold hard fact.

That black people commit a disproportionate amount of crime compared to their percentage of population?

Um, it kind of is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Portland Schmortland.

I stand firm in my assessment!!!!

Very firm.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#22]
There are black people in Maine?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.. I saw one once. Or was it Bigfoot?.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#24]
"The incarceration rate for African-Americans is about 3,074 per 100,000 residents, which is more than six times as high as the national average. Black men in their 20s and early 30s without a high school diploma are particularly vulnerable: with an incarceration rate of 40 percent, they are more likely to end up behind bars than in the workforce, Pew Charitable Trusts reports."

Fact is, the pool of eligible candidates (for policing, teaching, etc. all the jobs where blacks are under-represented) is too small to satisfy the activists' desires.  One of two (if not both) things need to change: Blacks need to stop getting themselves jailed and / or we let felons teach our kids and police our streets.  Hoping for the former instead of the latter probably makes me a racist but I'm used to it by now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

13 of them, but 92% graduate high school, so there is that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, not many though.  Then since there were not enough black people in Maine, Somalis were imported.

Portland had a Black Police Chief for a while.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
so take sme of the blacks arrested and make them cops.
problem solved.
View Quote

nyc tried that a few years ago
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a good friend of mine who is black. We are both cops. He said it doesn't matter what race you are. You make the choice in life to be productive and contribute to society. Lowering standards so a certain race can get a job is a slap in the face. Basically saying your not good enough but we will take you anyway.

He said that is not who I want working with me. He served in the Army, and has a two year degree. He will tell you I worked for what I got and don't need a handout because of my race I wanted to succeed. He tells it like it is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#29]
the other problem with hiring is probably 90% of those are recent somolian/ Angolan citizens who

A) don't speak English
B) aren't citizens
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Maine has a 92% black high school graduation rate.  That's #1 in the nation.  Not so bad.

Florida's is 47%.  And of those people, how many don't have a criminal record already and can write a report?

I knew a black guy who had a good attitude and got through the police academy.  Wasn't super bright though.  Took him three attempts to pass the state exam.  After he got hired, he basically could not string sentences together to save his life and the department ended up firing him.
View Quote

Maine is what, 1% black,

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Maine is what, 1% black,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maine has a 92% black high school graduation rate.  That's #1 in the nation.  Not so bad.

Florida's is 47%.  And of those people, how many don't have a criminal record already and can write a report?

I knew a black guy who had a good attitude and got through the police academy.  Wasn't super bright though.  Took him three attempts to pass the state exam.  After he got hired, he basically could not string sentences together to save his life and the department ended up firing him.

Maine is what, 1% black,

Yup... And we had to import the 1%.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]
maybe they should do "tag, you're it" recruiting with offenders.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Portland

View Quote

Is something wrong with Portland (beyond this article). The wife and I stopped there when on a cruise in north east and just fell in love with the city. Seemed like a place I would enjoy living in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

NYC tried that a few years ago
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So take some of the blacks arrested and make them cops.
problem solved.

NYC tried that a few years ago

NYC has been doing it for well over two decades.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#36]
They should identify as white, or at least Asian.  They'd feel better and that's what it's all about....feelings.

I bet Asians are under-represented on police forces AND extremely under-represented on arrests.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe they wouldn't get arrested if they could fucking act right, regardless of color.

Culture, not race. It just so happens that that culture seems more prevalent in one race.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maine is what, 1% black,

pretty much

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Stereotypes exist for a reason.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is something wrong with Portland (beyond this article). The wife and I stopped there when on a cruise in north east and just fell in love with the city. Seemed like a place I would enjoy living in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Portland

Compared to other city's in the US it's not bad, as a guy that grew up in a town/country part of Me it's just a big headache. It's full of the liberal entitled crowd. It's like a Mass. Overflow city    
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So do they believe that hiring black cops will reduce black crime?
Will only black officers be called to black crime?
View Quote

They don't care about crime, they just want fewer black arrests. My baby aint did nuffin.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Tell them to try harder in school and stop committing crimes as much.  Seems simple.  

I kill me, I really do
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Portland

The city itself is fairly nice to visit as far as cities go. Maine is sort of a red state but you can't tell by the voting results because the three largest cities in Maine are filled with libs and FSA types who continually lobby to change the face of this state. The rest of us just want to be left the fuck alone. I have a buddy on the Portland PD/ SWAT. I'm supposed to see him next weekend so I'll have to razz him about this haha.

In reality, every black person in the state would have to be a LEO in order to get the ratio much higher than it is now. There just aren't a lot of (qualified) minorities available.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Tell me where that doesn't happen.  

BTW, I fought more whites than I did minorities (a supervisor told me about it and when he showed me the reports, he was right).  Dunno about arrests though.  Never kept statistics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

And both of them were turned down by the cops, apparently.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#46]
like seattle, its just a place I drive past without stopping on my way to much nicer places
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
. . . and so it begins, even here in Maine

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/29/news/portland/blacks-in-portland-arrested-at-disproportionate-rate-police-chief-admits/

PORTLAND, Maine — Portland’s black population is underrepresented on the city’s police force and overrepresented in the arrest logs, Police Chief Michael Sauschuck told an audience of more than 50 people Monday night.

Of Portland’s approximately 66,000 residents, 7 percent are black, according to 2010 U.S. Census figures.

Sauschuck said on Monday night that out of his 163 police officers, only three, or less than 2 percent, are black. Of the 3,500-plus arrests his department made in 2013, he said, 18 percent were arrests of black people.

View Quote

View Quote

simple solution ...release half the prison population and give them 50 points on the civil service exam no background checks allowed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Nobody likes groups that are consistently badly behaved.  This is reasonable and correct.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#49]
so let's see, the article is also pointing out that blacks dont want to work and they are commiting a bulk of the crimes?  i'm sorry, but this isnt the 1960s, i dont buy that there are crooked cops in EVERY state are running around arresting blacks for no reason.  this is a problem with the their culture, and yes i mean blacks when i say "their".  if they want to change it, then it's up to them.  they arent owed any special treatment because of their skin color.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nobody likes groups that are consistently badly behaved.  This is reasonable and correct.

View Quote

Cop-hater

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top