Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/30/2014 5:59:00 AM EDT
whats your worst gunshop experience?

Here is mine..

New shop near me opened up a year or two ago and hours were appt only.   Ok...I set up an appt, and actually took time off work to go down there..Had several thousand set aside to spend on firearms and was more than willing to spend it all that day.  Specifcally was looking for a new AR, and a new shotgun...and if I saw something that interested me possibly a new handgun as well.

The day of the appt rolls around, and I go to the shop.  Step inside, and there is a waiting area with a big boobed receptionist.

She informs me that part of doing business there is a background check...and has me fill out a form 4473.    (yes, I know I should have walked at that point).

After about 5 minutes of waiting, the sales guy comes out and takes me to the back office area, sits me down and starts asking me what I am looking for.  I basically tell him Im looking for a new AR, a shotgun, and possibly a pistol...and had some general ideas of what I wanted but wanted to browse their inventory.  

The guy says "sorry thats not allowed"   "no one sees our inventory on the first visit until we run a background check on them and chat with them first"...

" But I have a concealed carry license, surely that is proof enough that Im an ok guy ", says I.

"Sorry but thats not allowed"...you will have to wait until the background check is complete and than we can set up another appt and let you into the showroom...

at that point i walked out...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Their business, their rules lol.       Just out of curiosity, are they still in business?   Maybe they cater to a certain clientele $$$$$?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their business, their rules lol.       Just out of curiosity, are they still in business?   Maybe they cater to a certain clientele $$$$$?
View Quote

yeah, their rules...i get that...

yes they are still in business and I am one of the clientele's with $$$$ to spend, up until about a year or so ago I was spending upwards of 10k-15k a year on firearms and ammo...That particular day I was ready to drop 5k.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
That was a front for something else. Whether the cops or criminals was running it, who knows???
You didn't have the right password.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
They'll be open until the ATF comes down on them for abusing the nics system. You can't just run back ground checks with it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#5]
That is the most bizarre business model for a gun store I've ever heard. Even a Ferrari dealership has the cars in a visible location. Then again the only business I would set up an appointment for is the doctor or dentist. Or something that is service based not so much inventory based.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That was a front for something else. Whether the cops or criminals was running it, who knows???
View Quote

no, its a legit shop.  I've talked to others that have gone there...

I dropped an email to the owner after my visit saying how irritated i was for essentially having half a vacation day wasted..he was apologetic and invited me back, but i never returned.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Here is mine..

New shop near me opened up a year or two ago and hours were appt only.   Ok...I set up an appt, and actually took time off work to go down there..Had several thousand set aside to spend on firearms and was more than willing to spend it all that day.  Specifcally was looking for a new AR, and a new shotgun...and if I saw something that interested me possibly a new handgun as well.

The day of the appt rolls around, and I go to the shop.  Step inside, and there is a waiting area with a big boobed receptionist.

She informs me that part of doing business there is a background check...and has me fill out a form 4473.    (yes, I know I should have walked at that point).

After about 5 minutes of waiting, the sales guy comes out and takes me to the back office area, sits me down and starts asking me what I am looking for.  I basically tell him Im looking for a new AR, a shotgun, and possibly a pistol...and had some general ideas of what I wanted but wanted to browse their inventory.  

The guy says "sorry thats not allowed"   "no one sees our inventory on the first visit until we run a background check on them and chat with them first"...

" But I have a concealed carry license, surely that is proof enough that Im an ok guy ", says I.

"Sorry but thats not allowed"...you will have to wait until the background check is complete and than we can set up another appt and let you into the showroom...

View Quote

I recall reading this exact same story before.

Have you posted this a couple years back?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#8]
went to LGS to get wife a CZ.

asshat behind the counter lays a bunch of Smith and Wesson Ladysmiths on the countertop, tells her to pick one.  Talks over her and me when we say that is not what we came for.  Refused to show us a CZ, saying women need a 5-shot snubnose.

We walked out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I ran into that business model in NYC back in the 80s about night vision. These guys just don't get retail. It's setup at a wholesale level, but selling in single units. I think they were industry insiders that never dealt with the end user. They start up their own business according to what they know from experience.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Asshole who sold my ordered Colt Defender to someone else when I had been waiting for it for over 5 months.

Manager heard my raised voice and got me one very quickly by calling around at other shops and one was available.

Asshole was terminated not too long afterwards.

He was the guy who lectured me on some of my reloading component purchases as being incorrect.

I asked him, after he talked down to me for about 5 minutes what his recipes and/or components were for his reloading of identical calibers...............he said "oh I don't reload, I just read up on it".

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

ditto
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow. There's been a couple "appointment only" FFLs locally. They don't stay in business long.

Haven't really had any bad experiences other than being ignored by shop employees who seem more interested in bullshitting with coworkers than selling inventory.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Here is mine..

View Quote

Good goggly moggly. A store like that around here would only last as long as the owners money held out.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
went to LGS to get wife a CZ.

asshat behind the counter lays a bunch of Smith and Wesson Ladysmiths on the countertop, tells her to pick one.  Talks over her and me when we say that is not what we came for.  Refused to show us a CZ, saying women need a 5-shot snubnose.

We walked out.
View Quote

We had a locally well known woman IDPA shooter come to pick up a Wilson combat 1911 at a local gun store, asshat behind the counter refused to show it to her and told her he would only sell her a Glock...she walked out of there with a discount on the Wilson and said asshat in the unemployment line.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#15]
When into a shop I had bought from in the past (used my C&R for the purchase) and spied a decent K98 for a fair price. I handed the guy my C&R and he said "we don't take those". I told him you did two months ago and he claimed they never did.

I asked for the manager and he said "I'm not bothering him about that". I put my C&R file copy back in my wallet and said "Sorry pal you just cost the shop a $900.00 sale".

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When into a shop I had bought from in the past (used my C&R for the purchase) and spied a decent K98 for a fair price. I handed the guy my C&R and he said "we don't take those". I told him you did two months ago and he claimed they never did.

I asked for the manager and he said "I'm not bothering him about that". I put my C&R file copy back in my wallet and said "Sorry pal you just cost the shop a $900.00 sale".

View Quote

A K98 for $900?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yes they are still in business and I am one of the clientele's with $$$$ to spend, up until about a year or so ago I was spending upwards of 10k-15k a year on firearms and ammo...That particular day I was ready to drop 5k.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are a customer there?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I dropped an email to the owner after my visit saying how irritated i was for essentially having half a vacation day wasted..he was apologetic and invited me back, but i never returned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or are you not?
I'm confused
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Drove an hour to a shop that had a rifle available right before the Ca. ban (1999) and I get there 20 minutes till closing; fat Simpsons comic store guy is manning the counter gnawing a sammich,says he doesn't feel like starting the paperwork so late.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A K98 for $900?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A K98 for $900?

Not uncommon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not uncommon.
View Quote

Maybe a sniper model?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I can understand wanting to keep looky loos out, but i wouldn't shop there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#24]
OP, what's the name of that shop?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#25]
There was a LGS in the town I am from that was notorious for not allowing inspection of merchandise. Even not allowing someone to pivot an AR open.

Being a reasonable person, I could understand why they would be concerned. I bought a sks from them (yugo I was a poor college student). I took it home and field stripped it to clean the cosmoline off.  Low and behold it didnt have a gas piston (not that it makes much difference anyway-least reliable rifle I have ever had).

To no ones surprise they blew me off when I called to complain. Never went back. That would be the worse experience, chalked it up to milsurp risk.

Now, I have always toyed with starting a gunshop, but specializing in custom builds. It would be appointment only on certain days like sunday, normal hours for standard retail.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Maybe a sniper model?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not uncommon.

Maybe a sniper model?

K98 snipers are in the several thousand dollar range.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#27]
The gunshop I bought my first gun in.  I hadn't been there in a couple years and decided that I wanted to look into getting an AR. Now this was about 1 or 2 years after the AWB had expired.  I walked 8 and was greeted,  as soon as I asked about getting an AR they freaked out on me telling me they are illegal and that they don't appreciate me coming in there asking about illegal firearms.  I was pretty shocked and tried to calmly tell them that they are wrong.  No dice, they were totally butthurt. So I left and in a few months they were closed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here is mine..

View Quote

Lawmen's (the "KAC Factory shop") takes your name of your ID.... At least I think that's what they're doing...
It also is one of those closed factory looks to it (because it is) and you wouldn't know its occupied let alone a gun shop walking in. Then the showroom door opens. Kinda neat really
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

ditto
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ditto

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not uncommon.

Maybe a sniper model?

Holy shit have prices gone through the roof.

I got my K98 for about $150 20 years ago and sniper models were only about............well I don't really remember.

IIRC, my K98 is a Brno manufactured model.

I got a full length Brazilian 7mm Mauser that is in very good condition for about $160 back then also...........I wonder how much that is worth.  It was made around 1910-1920 IIRC and is in extremely good condition.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is mine..

I made a post about it on a couple of forums when it happened ic using this one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow. There's been a couple "appointment only" FFLs locally. They don't stay in business long.

Haven't really had any bad experiences other than being ignored by shop employees who seem more interested in bullshitting with coworkers than selling inventory.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

My local stores are the opposite.  Can't look at anything without them talking to you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there is a shop in dallas like that, but they sell shotguns that cost about 100K. I am sorry 10-15K on gun stuff a year really isn't that much
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I got my K98 for about $150 20 years ago and sniper models were only about............well I don't really remember.

I got a full length Brazilian 7mm Mauser that is in very good condition for about $160 back then also...........I wonder how much that is worth.  It was made around 1910-1920 IIRC and is in extremely good condition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not uncommon.

Maybe a sniper model?

Russian capture K98s were fairly readily available in the $400-500 range up until a year or two ago, but correct, matching K98s have been in the $600+ vicinity for at least the last five or six years.  Non-import documented bringbacks are $1000+ if they're in any sort of decent shape.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Russian capture K98s were fairly readily available in the $400-500 range up until a year or two ago, but correct, matching K98s have been in the $600+ vicinity for at least the last five or six years.  Non-import documented bringbacks are $1000+ if they're in any sort of decent shape.
View Quote

Thanks for the info..............mine appears to be in the $600+ category.

Any ideas on how much my 1908 Brazilian 7mm Mauser full length rifle might be worth?  

Here's a link to what mine almost looks like..............mine is about 95+ percent whereas the one in the link is almost like new.

1908 Brazilian Mauser

I see asking prices of $600 for them in not as good condition as mine but that is the asking price.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not uncommon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A K98 for $900?

Not uncommon.

$900.00 for a complete all matching WW2 K98 is a good price in today's market...

I have 4 of them...But I paid much less than that for them... I have been collecting for a very long time.

Those rifles just continue to go up in value every year!  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#38]
There is a local gun store that has the worst customer service I have ever seen in a gun shop.

It is a shame, too.  I drive by it twice a day (to and from work).

After the ban expired, they still only sold black rifles to law enforcement officers.

I stupidly had them do a transfer for me.  After a week of trying, I literally had to bring in a copy of the UPS delivery confirmation for them to even bother to look for it.  Even at that, the guy who signed wasn't there, come back tomorrow.  When I came back, they guy who signed didn't know what it was, but stopped short of refusing to admit it was his signature.  Finally someone tripped over the box that had been lying in the corner for 6 days and decided to open it to see what was inside.  The box that had magic marker "transfer for EFPETER" written in 1 inch tall letters.

There is an old man there who absolutely will not allow you to just look.  "What are you looking for?"  "I'm just looking to see what is in the case today..."  "But, what are you looking for?"   I get tired of him flatly refusing to stop asking the same question over and over and over and over, so I just leave.

After probably a year, I went in there the other day.  Same old man.  "What are you looking for?"   After being asked three time, I figure fuck it, I'll just tell him the only thing I am looking for, which is an AAC 1/2-28 piston for an EVO.  "We don't carry any of THAT"  I started to tell him that I just got a new barrel, but the old man literally refused to speak to me after that!  Then someone came in and asked for a box of .22LR.  Some other employee, who is not as awesome as the old man, was just going to sell him the box of 22.  No no no no.  
"What are you going to do with it?"
"Shoot it?"
"No, what are you going to do with it?"
It was twenty fucking questions.  What kind of gun are you ging to use to shoot this ammunition, where are you going to shoot it, what are your targets....  Jesus.  It is Indiana, not New York City.  If you want to not sell a $2 box of .22s, fine.  Just say fuck you get out of the store.  I left laughing.  I don't know if the guy ever answered enough questions to get his .22 or not.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I buy two cans from a dealer in TN. The owner sales the shop. I am still waiting for my cans. New owner says there is no proof I bought said cans and too bad so sad. that cost me about 1400 dollars.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Having custom sticks built is the worst ever! I'm going on 1.5 years now in waiting for a 338 Norma mag build and still nothing? This is lunacy at its best.

Quoted:

Here is mine..

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

$900.00 for a complete all matching WW2 K98 is a good price in today's market...

I have 4 of them...But I paid much less than that for them... I have been collecting for a very long time.

Those rifles just continue to go up in value every year!  

View Quote

Wow!!

Learn something everyday.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info..............mine appears to be in the $600+ category.

Any ideas on how much my 1908 Brazilian 7mm Mauser full length rifle might be worth?  

Here's a link to what mine almost looks like..............mine is about 95+ percent whereas the one in the link is almost like new.

1908 Brazilian Mauser
View Quote

I don't keep up on the export models much (which doesn't make sense, since I have several of them and don't have any German 98s), but IIRC, the Brazilians seem to be a bit more valuable than most of the other South American models.  I think I recall seeing Brazilian 1908s in that sort of condition up in the $600-700 range, maybe higher.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't keep up on the export models much (which doesn't make sense, since I have several of them and don't have any German 98s), but IIRC, the Brazilians seem to be a bit more valuable than most of the other South American models.  I think I recall seeing Brazilian 1908s in that sort of condition up in the $600-700 range, maybe higher.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not uncommon.

Maybe a sniper model?

Please point me to those 1K documented matching bringbacks and I'll head to the bank.

Matching K98s have skyrocketed. Even the common coded K98s (like byf) made in the hundreds of thousands are bringing over 1K in decent shape and have been for a good while.

Hell even serviceable K98 slings are fetching near $200.00 and I've seen pristine examples go for over $300.00.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#45]
I live within a 10 minute drive of about 5 shops.  I don't even bother going because of the ass hattery and ridiculous markups that I see.  All of my purchases are done online now and my local kitchen table FFL charges $10-$15 for transfers depending on volume.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There is a local gun store that has the worst customer service I have ever seen in a gun shop.

It is a shame, too.  I drive by it twice a day (to and from work).

After the ban expired, they still only sold black rifles to law enforcement officers.

I stupidly had them do a transfer for me.  After a week of trying, I literally had to bring in a copy of the UPS delivery confirmation for them to even bother to look for it.  Even at that, the guy who signed wasn't there, come back tomorrow.  When I came back, they guy who signed didn't know what it was, but stopped short of refusing to admit it was his signature.  Finally someone tripped over the box that had been lying in the corner for 6 days and decided to open it to see what was inside.  The box that had magic marker "transfer for EFPETER" written in 1 inch tall letters.

There is an old man there who absolutely will not allow you to just look.  "What are you looking for?"  "I'm just looking to see what is in the case today..."  "But, what are you looking for?"   I get tired of him flatly refusing to stop asking the same question over and over and over and over, so I just leave.

After probably a year, I went in there the other day.  Same old man.  "What are you looking for?"   After being asked three time, I figure fuck it, I'll just tell him the only thing I am looking for, which is an AAC 1/2-28 piston for an EVO.  "We don't carry any of THAT"  I started to tell him that I just got a new barrel, but the old man literally refused to speak to me after that!  Then someone came in and asked for a box of .22LR.  Some other employee, who is not as awesome as the old man, was just going to sell him the box of 22.  No no no no.  
"What are you going to do with it?"
"Shoot it?"
"No, what are you going to do with it?"
It was twenty fucking questions.  What kind of gun are you ging to use to shoot this ammunition, where are you going to shoot it, what are your targets....  Jesus.  It is Indiana, not New York City.  If you want to not sell a $2 box of .22s, fine.  Just say fuck you get out of the store.  I left laughing.  I don't know if the guy ever answered enough questions to get his .22 or not.
View Quote

Wow.  

The old man needs to retire immediately and see a fucking psychiatrist.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I buy two cans from a dealer in TN. The owner sales the shop. I am still waiting for my cans. New owner says there is no proof I bought said cans and too bad so sad. that cost me about 1400 dollars.
View Quote

I was going to bitch about the time a shop tried to sell me a rifled slug barrel covered in John Deere green Krylon for $80 as a "tactical short barrel", but I guess I'll just go count my blessing instead.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

No receipt?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and this is why I would have walked.  If their rules say they can treat a customer like shit, there are plenty of other places I can shop.

I went into a local hole in the wall shop to transfer a gun my brother gave me to me.  Guy says you can't do that you have to ship it to a dealer.  I said he lives down the road, we both have permits I just want to put it in my name.  He gave me a lot of shit about it anyway.  I also was interested in a pistol a friend of mine told me he had used in the case but he and his old timers were too busy cooking and eating hot dogs in the shop.  I guess that's what they do on Saturdays.  They were too busy eating and bullshitting to help me out so I walked and never went back.  Got the gun transferred that day at another FFL and that's the end of that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#50]
For my first gun purchase I wanted a nice 1911.  I shopped for about 6 months and had the model I wanted in mind.  I went to the local gun shop and picked out a similar gun to what I wanted in the case.  The guy told me it was going to be MSRP + The shipping he paid to get the gun there + $45 for NICS + tax.  I told him I wasn't paying that.  He told me I didn't understand the process of buying a gun.  I told him I'm not getting ripped off.  He started yelling at me about "wasting his time" (not a single customer in the store) and that I could never buy the gun I wanted for cheaper than he was selling them.  Two weeks later I walked out of a gun show with the exact gun I wanted for $200 less than MSRP out the door.  I should have taken it by with the receipt to show that asshole.  I have shopped at that store again since it was purchased by new owners and it was a much more reasonable experience.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top