Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... What are we looking at exactly?

I believe that those tubes take air from inside the car and are routed to the air intake of the police car to limit intake of ash into the engine.  That pic is from the last big eruption of Mt. St. Helens

I would think the cabin filter would clog up pretty quick by doing this..    
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I look at the mountain every day from my front porch (about 40 miles from my place).  It's easy to tell when it's doing something from the many cars parked along side of the highway with folks pointing their camera phones that way.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/theoneandonlyhoppy/mount_st_helens_from_mayger_oregon_2005_zpsb3a2a5ab.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/theoneandonlyhoppy/securedownload.jpg

A good friend was a kid the last time it erupted.  Him and a buddy made good money cleaning out ash from peoples gutters before they fell off the house.  Right up until they were told to stop because they didn't have a permit.

http://youtu.be/IjGHwGkFIFw
View Quote

Is that the lookout on #30 with the Longview Bridge in the background ?
Used to ride that route to go motorcycle camping at Ft Stevens.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in 2004 this huge rock slab was growing out of the crater. It was growing up to 5ft a day.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/fap/image/0605/slabsthelens_usgs_big.jpg

Some more info (2006 article)

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12635710/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/huge-rock-slab-growing-st-helens-crater/#.VCsCGhag6ic

Scientists flew a helicopter into the crater late last week to adjust
equipment and take photographs that will likely be used to determine
just how much the new lava dome has grown the last several months.

Their latest measurements, taken in December, showed that the new
lava dome was about 96 million cubic yards in volume — enough to fill a
football field with a stack of rock 10 1/2 miles high, Pierson said.

Scientists know the new dome is now larger than the old dome, a mass
that's about 97 million cubic yards in volume that formed from a series
of eruptions from 1980-1986.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I lived through the first one , I say "Bring it"

Of coarse, I'm not down stream.
View Quote

I lived in Eastern Washington at the time, (Yakima) and was up in the mountains camping at a month shy of age four it was one of my earliest memories.
I can remember being at the edge of a pond/lake, when the frogs started going ape shit. and the sky got dark. Then my parents throwing me into the back of the box van, and us tearing down out of the mountains.
I had my first sip of beer sitting on the center console, generic BEER beer, and at some point we had to stop so I could pee.
We had bandanas tied around our faces so we could breath. That's about all I remember of that event, but the pictures from town back then were nuts, and there was tons of ash in the dirt growing up as a kid.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

WTF is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WTF is that?

My cousin lived out there during the first eruption. People ran a dryer hose from the engine air intake to a small garbage can stuffed with rags to filter the ash. Then they'd take the rags and flush them with a hose. It made for a messy lawn, but the engines survived. IIRC, they were told not to put the rags in a washing machine because it would clog up the water treatment plant.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

All I see on two webcams is grey.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I will admit my ignorance on why Rainier is dangerous.   So why are folks in WA more afraid of Rainier than Helens?
View Quote

This is an example of a lahar from MSH. When Rainer goes, you will have very big lahars flowing down to highly populated areas.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back in 2004 this huge rock slab was growing out of the crater. It was growing up to 5ft a day.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/fap/image/0605/slabsthelens_usgs_big.jpg

Some more info (2006 article)
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12635710/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/huge-rock-slab-growing-st-helens-crater/#.VCsCGhag6ic

Scientists flew a helicopter into the crater late last week to adjust equipment and take photographs that will likely be used to determine just how much the new lava dome has grown the last several months.

Their latest measurements, taken in December, showed that the new lava dome was about 96 million cubic yards in volume — enough to fill a football field with a stack of rock 10 1/2 miles high, Pierson said.

Scientists know the new dome is now larger than the old dome, a mass that's about 97 million cubic yards in volume that formed from a series of eruptions from 1980-1986.

View Quote

That's awesome!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This is an example of a lahar from MSH. When Rainer goes, you will have very big lahars flowing down to highly populated areas.

http://i.imgur.com/Hhfy4Vx.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will admit my ignorance on why Rainier is dangerous.   So why are folks in WA more afraid of Rainier than Helens?

closer to the cities

MSH is pretty remote

http://i.imgur.com/Hhfy4Vx.jpg

Well, build a big wall then, ala World War Z, in Isreal.  Problem solved, duh ;)

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also you must consider mass movement events like volcanic debris flows (lahars). Although the debris flow from Mt. Rainier could be huge.

Mt. Rainier lahars
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#13]

So, I have a question about the ash.

Where did it go?  did it just incorporate itself into the soil in the areas it piled up in?

I remember seeing people washing it down their drives and shoveling it.

That was a lot of ash

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag. I have a Geology degree, so this shit is what I used to live for
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Magma...
View Quote

Yup read it in DR. Evils voice, well done.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Magma...

First thing that popped into my head when I read the title the first time too

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Source

OLYMPIA, Wash., Sept. 29 (UPI) -- Mount Saint Helens is showing signs of reawakening as a preamble to erupting, reports the USGS ten years after the last sign of volcanic activity.

USGS reveled new technology to monitor the volcano's activity and mentioned it is seeing the precursors to eruption. The lava dome hasn't erupted since 2008, but is showing signs that the magma chamber responsible for eruptions is "recharging."
View Quote
View Quote

I bet the magma chamber is full of Ebola
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Mt St Helens in 2009

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I remember when she blew her top in 1980.   Dark billowing clouds rolled in.   Our street lights came on from 200 miles away.   I thought the Russians just nuked us.  

http://<a href=http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx266/bonesarelli/image_zpsb08148b3.jpg

View Quote

Me too.  I was living in Kirkland when it went up in 80.  I had to travel to Portland a week later and took a detour to see some of the worst of it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I was pumping gas in May 1980 at the age of 17...boom, ash everywhere. We were spared the big stuff in Porkland.

I've climbed to the "now" 8000' summit three times. Great hike, four miles, 4000' ele gain.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tag. I have a Geology degree, so this shit is what I used to live for
View Quote

Cool...I bet you get a lot of pussy!

J/K
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Damn anthropogenic global warming...
View Quote

What you did there, I see it...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fuck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Source

OLYMPIA, Wash., Sept. 29 (UPI) -- Mount Saint Helens is showing signs of reawakening as a preamble to erupting, reports the USGS ten years after the last sign of volcanic activity.

USGS reveled new technology to monitor the volcano's activity and mentioned it is seeing the precursors to eruption. The lava dome hasn't erupted since 2008, but is showing signs that the magma chamber responsible for eruptions is "recharging."

Fuck

dibs
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

WTF is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WTF is that?
Doc Brown's early prototypes.  Ultimately, the Flux Resistor design required a velocity of 176mph.  Neither these cars, nor the DeLorean were up to the task.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#27]
In the immutable words of chicken little...

"The Sky is Falling!"
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Super  I was working at Burgerville USA back in '80 the day it cut loose last time.  We

climbed up on top of the restaurant to watch it.

RIP Harry Truman
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I seem to recall this

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Yikes...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Have some coffee and a danish ready for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#33]
IIRC there was a made for TV movie about it.  About the only thing I remember about it was how lame it was.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Super  I was working at Burgerville USA back in '80 the day it cut loose last time.  We

RIP Harry Truman
View Quote

Oh man, haven't heard of that place in a long time.  I remember a Burgerville USA in Camas, WA,  is this the one you were at?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#35]

I'm trying in vain to wrap my mind around how much energy is involved in that eruption.  The mountainside looks like it just liquefied in a moment.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm trying in vain to wrap my mind around how much energy is involved in that eruption.  The mountainside looks like it just liquefied in a moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It did.  A huge landslide triggered the blast, like pulling a cork off a bottle.  It seems they were worried about that scenario at the time, too.  Just watching the whole side of the mountain slowly bulge off to one side.

Crazy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It did, largest land slide ever recorded. It all slid down into Spirit Lake and pushed the water up onto the hill on the other side of the valley. Water then came back down onto a brand new lake bed. There's still logs floating in the lake that the water picked up from that hill. All the other trees and logs were annihilated.

it was going to blow at some point but it was the land slide that caused the whole thing to finally go. They're worried about Rainier. The rocks that make up Rainier have heated up and cooled down so many times that they aren't real stable. Rainier could kill 100,000 plus without erupting at all. Me included if I'm at work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Some pics from a recent trip

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Oh man, haven't heard of that place in a long time.  I remember a Burgerville USA in Camas, WA,  is this the one you were at?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

RIP Harry Truman

No, I was working at the Market ST store in Salem (It's not there anymore).  Wasn't Harry Truman a hoot?!

He was interviewed for weeks before the eruption and I learned (From My folks) that his "tongue action" (lol) was

pretty consistent with late-stage Alcoholism...

Still, he was a pretty cool old guy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I grew up in Enumclaw, downstream of Rainier. We were at St Helens and a volcanologist was giving talks every half hour, at that time they were more concerned with Rainier. They had found mineral deposits 800 feet up the valley walls in Greenwater from the last lahar. That's a valley that's several miles wide. Several miles wide by 800 feet deep moving at 100mph? We can't even fathom that kind of destruction. I'll be ok if I'm at home but if I'm at work I'm dead. Tsunami in Japan will be nothing compared to what this will do.

I no longer live in Enumclaw. Couldn't wait to get out from under that mountain. Grew up right under Mud Mtn Dam which was fully expected to collapse should a Lahar hit it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#41]

What most people don't realize is a LONG ways out you see trees all laying the same direction no matter which side of a hill they're on. get closer and they're the same thing but they're all charred. Get within about 3 miles and there's nothing but dirt and ash. Trees just disappeared.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No, I was working at the Market ST store in Salem (It's not there anymore).  Wasn't Harry Truman a hoot?!

He was interviewed for weeks before the eruption and I learned (From My folks) that his "tongue action" (lol) was

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP Harry Truman

Harry was a cool guy, he just knew what he wanted and nobody was going to talk him out of it.  If you are going to go, what a way to do it!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It did, largest land slide ever recorded. It all slid down into Spirit Lake and pushed the water up onto the hill on the other side of the valley. Water then came back down onto a brand new lake bed. There's still logs floating in the lake that the water picked up from that hill. All the other trees and logs were annihilated.

it was going to blow at some point but it was the land slide that caused the whole thing to finally go. They're worried about Rainier. The rocks that make up Rainier have heated up and cooled down so many times that they aren't real stable. Rainier could kill 100,000 plus without erupting at all. Me included if I'm at work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just looked it up on Google maps.  Rainier is one BIG mountain/volcano.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "foothills" surrounding it are approx 6,000 feet, Rainier is 14,000. With a ton of ice and snow on it. I'm not sure how many people live in the valley's below it these days but it would wipe out the Puget Sound area of WA for the most part.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Basically, it's close to a major metro area, it has huge amounts of glacial ice on it, and sub-glacial water movement circulates acidic water, which turns the volcanic rock into clay.

Mt Rainier is also dangerous because it doesn't need to erupt to cause a major disaster. A giant lahar could happen as a result of a minor quake, or just because gravity sucks.

Mt. Rainier

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically, it's close to a major metro area, it has huge amounts of glacial ice on it, and sub-glacial water movement circulates acidic water, which turns the volcanic rock into clay.

Mt Rainier is also dangerous because it doesn't need to erupt to cause a major disaster. A giant lahar could happen as a result of a minor quake, or just because gravity sucks.

Mt. Rainier

And a great deal of Tacoma is built upon the lahars of eruptions past.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mt. Rainier

Along with the Renton/Kent/Auburn valleys that lead into South Seattle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
St. Helen's going again would suck. Rainer going would be much worse. I might even get cooked where I live, but the lahar would not get me.
View Quote
MSH I"m not so worried about since it dome isn't rebuilt though it would not be pleasant for those in the area.

Curious if there has been any activity recorded in Rainer? Due to the proximity to significant numbers of people, that could be a mega-disaster.

Ya'll be safe up there, you hear?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
MSH I"m not so worried about since it dome isn't rebuilt though it would not be pleasant for those in the area.

Curious if there has been any activity recorded in Rainer? Due to the proximity to significant numbers of people, that could be a mega-disaster.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
St. Helen's going again would suck. Rainer going would be much worse. I might even get cooked where I live, but the lahar would not get me.

the rock that makes up Rainier has heated and cooled so many times that it's very crumbly. It's still an active volcano, so there's still seismic activity under it. The experts are worried that some of this seismic activity will trigger a landslide, much the same as St Helens but on a much larger scale.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP Harry Truman

They still have Burgervilles around Oregon, but I'm not sure if they are the same thing.

Damn good burgers and fries though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Harry was a cool guy, he just knew what he wanted and nobody was going to talk him out of it.  If you are going to go, what a way to do it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

RIP Harry Truman

Yeah, Harry was ready to take it as it came

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top