BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Picking Oakland to beat the Angels, interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fuck it I'm in

http://i.snag.gy/sXOKJ.jpg

Picking Oakland to beat the Angels, interesting.

I stopped giving a fuck about MLB when the Braves started sucking (not too long after the trade deadline) so my information is dated...

we'll see  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
In.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
AL WC: Royals (A's are on a terrible slide)

ALDS 1: Royals over Angels (Angels have key injuries and Royals are well built for the post season)

ALDS 2: Tigers over Orioles (O's are middle of the pack offense with lots of homers facing top offense in baseball and team who gave up second fewest homers in the AL)

ALCS: Tigers over Royals (Tigers were 13-6 against KC)

NL WC: Giants (Russell Marin out is a HUGE loss for Pittsburgh)

NLDS 1: Nats over Giants (Nats have the best rotation in the game)

NLDS 2: Cards over Dodgers (The Cards pitch better up and down the rotation)

NLCS: Nats over Cards (Nats have the best rotation in the game)

World Series: Tigers over Nats (AL home field advantage, strong post season rotation and the Tigers win when it matters most)
View Quote

Rules man... Your picks are like a soup sandwich anyway.

How is a team that can barely win the division over KC going to beat a team leading the league in HRs. O's pitching is underrated, they don't have any Cy Young pitchers but they have a few decent starters and a solid bullpen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://i62.tinypic.com/el5ulk.jpg

It's tricky.  Orioles have better numbers, but Detroit's big name rotation would make anyone nervous.  

Anything can happen in the WC games.
View Quote

I agree with this EXCEPT the Nationals take the World Series.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How is a team that can barely win the division over KC going to beat a team leading the league in HRs. O's pitching is underrated, they don't have any Cy Young pitchers but they have a few decent starters and a solid bullpen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ALDS 1: Royals over Angels (Angels have key injuries and Royals are well built for the post season)

ALDS 2: Tigers over Orioles (O's are middle of the pack offense with lots of homers facing top offense in baseball and team who gave up second fewest homers in the AL)

World Series: Tigers over Nats (AL home field advantage, strong post season rotation and the Tigers win when it matters most)

1. I'm on my iPad so I can't grab a picture upload and post.

2. Do you even watch baseball? The Orioles cannot score runs unless they hit a homer. 47% of their runs came off of home runs. That is insane dependence on home runs. The Tigers pitching is 14 th in the AL in home runs allowed. The gave up 127 home runs all season. 1 more than the Angels. When a team that doesn't score runs without hitting a homer meets a team that doesn't give up homers, the team that doesn't score runs without hitting a homer will loose. Conversely, the Tigers can hit homers, the can hit doubles, the ca steal bases, they have great situational hitting and despite being middle of the pack in homers they were the second best scoring team in baseball.

3. Barely winning your division is irrelevant in the post season, as is barely winning the division over KC. The 2006 Tigers were a wild card and they went to the World Series. The 2011 Cards made the post season on the last day of the season and won the World Series. The 2012 Tigers were 88 game winners and barely won their division, and went to the World Series. As for barely winning the division against KC is not a knock, since KC won the top WC slot.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm really hoping for a Tigers/Nats world series. I'd love to splurge on a ticket to a World Series game and watch the Tigers beat the Nats while they're away from home.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

2. Do you even watch baseball? The Orioles cannot score runs unless they hit a homer. 47% of their runs came off of home runs. That is insane dependence on home runs. The Tigers pitching is 14 th in the AL in home runs allowed. The gave up 127 home runs all season. 1 more than the Angels. When a team that doesn't score runs without hitting a homer meets a team that doesn't give up homers, the team that doesn't score runs without hitting a homer will loose. Conversely, the Tigers can hit homers, the can hit doubles, the ca steal bases, they have great situational hitting and despite being middle of the pack in homers they were the top scoring team in the AL.

3. Barely winning your division is irrelevant in the post season, as is barely winning the division over KC. The 2006 Tigers were a wild card and they went to the World Series. The 2011 Cards made the post season on the last day of the season and won the World Series. The 2012 Tigers were 88 game winners and barely won their division, and went to the World Series. As for barely winning the division against KC is not a knock, since KC won the top WC slot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. Do you even watch baseball? The Orioles cannot score runs unless they hit a homer. 47% of their runs came off of home runs. That is insane dependence on home runs. The Tigers pitching is 14 th in the AL in home runs allowed. The gave up 127 home runs all season. 1 more than the Angels. When a team that doesn't score runs without hitting a homer meets a team that doesn't give up homers, the team that doesn't score runs without hitting a homer will loose. Conversely, the Tigers can hit homers, the can hit doubles, the ca steal bases, they have great situational hitting and despite being middle of the pack in homers they were the top scoring team in the AL.

I probably saw at least 120 of the O's games this season.

I don't think you're giving the Orioles due credit, I guess we'll see next week. The Tigers are my 3rd favorite team so if anyone beats he O's I'd prefer it be the Tigers. But I don't see it happening.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't think you're giving the Orioles due credit, I guess we'll see next week. The Tigers are my 3rd favorite team so if anyone beats he O's I'd prefer it be the Tigers. But I don't see it happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is worth noting that the Tigers and Orioles met six times this season. The Tigers won five of those meetings.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The O's are a good team, but I don't see their team as having what it takes in the post season. In the post season you need good pitching (starters=advantage Tigers, bullpen=advantage Orioles), Defense (advantage Orioles, but the Tigers are solid, particularly up the middle) and the ability to manufacture runs (strong advantage Tigers).

Keep in mind also that the Orioles played in the weakest division in the AL. There was no other team in the AL East who won 85 games. The AL Central had two other teams who won 85 or more games and so did the AL West.

Now, obviously anything can (and almost certainly will) happen in the post season. The regular season results mean very little actually. But, based on the numbers and based on the way the teams are built, I see the Tigers winning this series. I could be wrong, and we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The O's are a good team, but I don't see their team as having what it takes in the post season. In the post season you need good pitching (starters=advantage Tigers, bullpen=advantage Orioles), Defense (advantage Orioles, but the Tigers are solid, particularly up the middle) and the ability to manufacture runs (strong advantage Tigers).

Keep in mind also that the Orioles played in the weakest division in the AL. There was no other team in the AL East who won 85 games. The AL Central had two other teams who won 85 or more games and so did the AL West.

Now, obviously anything can (and almost certainly will) happen in the post season. The regular season results mean very little actually. But, based on the numbers and based on the way the teams are built, I see the Tigers winning this series. I could be wrong, and we'll see.
View Quote

Make a bracket so I can send you crap if you're right. Less than three hours left.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
This was my bracket from MLB.com

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

You're in. I think yours is the most different than mine though, 7/9 different.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#14]

You're in, under 2 hours left.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Tigers Pirates World Series,  Tigers win

A's vs Tigers AL Championship

Pirates Dodgers NL championship
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm just happy to be here.

This hasn't happened in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't pick it to happen, but a LAA/SFG WS would be entertaining just to piss off every Dodger fan
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I didn't pick it to happen, but a LAA/SFG WS would be entertaining just to piss off every Dodger fan
View Quote

Shudders --
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#19]
45 min to get your picks in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Love the eye patch, you're in. I'm afraid your bracket might be ruined tonight though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Orioles v Pirates with Baltimore in 5
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tigers Pirates World Series,  Tigers win

A's vs Tigers AL Championship

Pirates Dodgers NL championship
View Quote

From above

A's beat Royal Wild card

A's beat Angels; Tigers beat Orioles  ALDS

Tigers beat A's  ALCS

Pirates beat Giants Wild card

Pirates beat Nationals; Dodgers beat Cardenals  NLDS

Pirates beat Dodgers  NLCS

Tigers beat Pirates in World Series
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#24]
There's no way the Royals are going to beat Lester tonight. Dude was 2-0 in last years World Series, he knows how to pitch in these big games.

Royals are to young, they're gonna have butterflies tonight. If they can get out of the first 4 innings without any errors or giving up a big inning they may be ok, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There's no way the Royals are going to beat Lester tonight. Dude was 2-0 in last years World Series, he knows how to pitch in these big games.

Royals are to young, they're gonna have butterflies tonight. If they can get out of the first 4 innings without any errors or giving up a big inning they may be ok, but we'll see.
View Quote

And look at Shields' post season era. Double Lester's almost.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly. Jon Lester owns the post season. This is exactly why Brad Pitt brought him over. Best manager ever.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big Game James got 'em covered and that park is going to blow the WC in Pittsburgh away. Besides, the A's can't score runs!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Who at TBS thought it was a good idea to make Pedro Martinez a studio analyst

GO A's
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Big Game James got 'em covered and that park is going to blow the WC in Pittsburgh away. Besides, the A's can't score runs!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Josh Reddick says differently. He does well against Shields and batted .485 with 9 RBI's in the last 10 games
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For this game, we agree completely.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Ned Yost, former Braves 3B coach
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Who at TBS thought it was a good idea to make Pedro Martinez a studio analyst

GO A's
View Quote

GO A's
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Any submissions before first pitch will count, make sure you don't edit your post though.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Royals have two opponents tonight, the A's and inexperience. The few innings will tell us what is going to happen, if the Royals look off, making errors, or just not making plays than they are toast. Otherwise should be a great game. I predict A's win 2-1.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Love the eye patch, you're in. I'm afraid your bracket might be ruined tonight though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Eh, its for fun.

My bracket was ruined a couple months ago when it was clear the Yankees weren't the team.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gotta go with Detroit
View Quote

This guy knows!!!!!!

Go Tigers!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Any submissions before first pitch will count, make sure you don't edit your post though.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif
View Quote

You might want to download them, since a image can be changed by uploading a new one with the same name.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You might want to download them, since a image can be changed by uploading a new one with the same name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif

I already did, I just meant for anyone who wanted to join last minute. Too late now, everyone is locked in.

Not a good start for the Royals.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, this game is over. KC is fucked.

Lester is too good for KC. Their only hope was scratching out a run or two and Shields shutting the A's down. With Lester getting the lead, KC's offense just doesn't have that one swing of the bat guy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Moneyball fielding
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#41]
WOW!

Lester allows a hit and a 4 pitch walk to Eric Hosmer? This crowd is making an awful racket. Sounds like Oakland.

Damn!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Eric Hosmer walked 35 times this season, and Jon Lester walked him on 4 pitches!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Eric Hosmer walked 35 times this season, and Jon Lester walked him on 4 pitches!  
View Quote

KC gets a run back but horrible base running mistake with your tying run on 3rd...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Why, Billy? Why you do this?

Fat man no fool anyone.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

KC gets a run back but horrible base running mistake with your tying run on 3rd...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know what happened there! How did...what? Why was Billly Butler...? Um...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nationals and O's in the World Series
View Quote

I think this too.  O's win World Series in 6.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Why, Billy? Why you do this?

Fat man no fool anyone.
View Quote

He's the slowest guy in baseball. In a race between Billy Butler and Big Papi, I would order a pizza and Dominos would beat them both!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't know what happened there! How did...what? Why was Billly Butler...? Um...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was just dumb.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Is Zombie Eric Gregg behind the plate?

Dat "strike zone"  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is Zombie Eric Gregg behind the plate?

Dat "strike zone"  
View Quote

That was bad. Even with the catcher framing it, it was still outside and low. A's had problems with the crew chief earlier this year too making faces at the team and shit, and his strike zone for Kazmir was out of control. Bob Melvin got ejected from the game. I was a little nervous when I saw he was the crew chief for this game.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top