Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/29/2014 11:38:28 PM EDT
So thinking about doing a retail shop what products and brands would you want to see in a gun store?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish more GSs carried Lancer mags and PCCs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm really digging those Turkish TriStar line of pistols.  They have a model that's basically the IWI Jericho/CZ 75 clone.  I saw one in a gun shop recently for <$400!  I was seriously thinking about buying one, but then I realized I already have a pistol on layaway.

http://tristararms.com/pistol-t-120.php

Also, you might consider stocking as much type of each type of common(ish) ammo as you can, especially .22LR.  Of course that's only if you can find it!

Lastly, have good choices in rifles, like CZ, Tikka, Sako, Colt, BCM, PSA, Remington, Savage, etc...

Might not hurt to have a decent selection of good quality knives and lights.  That's about all I got.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi Point
Rossi

Tapco

UTG

Uncle Mike holsters

DPMS and Taurus for your well heeled customers.

Works for a couple of shops near me.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm really digging those Turkish TriStar line of pistols.  They have a model that's basically the IWI Jericho/CZ 75 clone.  I saw one in a gun shop recently for <$400!  I was seriously thinking about buying one, but then I realized I already have a pistol on layaway.

http://tristararms.com/pistol-t-120.php

Also, you might consider stocking as much type of each type of common(ish) ammo as you can, especially .22LR.  Of course that's only if you can find it!

Lastly, have good choices in rifles, like CZ, Tikka, Sako, Colt, BCM, PSA, Remington, Savage, etc...

Might not hurt to have a decent selection of good quality knives and lights.  That's about all I got.
View Quote

Those Hungarian and CZ surps are nifty. Tula will actually work in them which is the big thing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hi PointRossi
Tapco
UTG
Uncle Mike holsters

View Quote

All employees must be 400lb. condescending, former seal-sniper, assholes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I typed and deleted a few sarcastic answers based solely on my frustration with local gun stores. So, I'll just say good luck in your endeavor. Strive to be better than the rest.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Coloring books and krayons to keep the neckbeards busy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
8$ Pmags
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
A cheap transfer, that's all I need. The internet has really killed shopping for accessories and such.

I've been going in gun shops for 25 years and finally gave up. Regardless of price I really don't need their opinion on X unless asked but apparently that's the biggest requirement for working there.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Boobs. Basically, I'd like to be able to walk in, and a hottie in a bikini is there, to act as my personal shopper, assisting me with my purchases, leaning over to get stuff off the shelf, reaching way up high to get things, then jumps on a trampoline for a few minutes, before ringing me up.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi PointRossi

Tapco

UTG

Uncle Mike holsters

Yea not looking for that lol, was thinking a build your AR15 wall of accessories, the major brand pistols & rifles of course, Quality holsters, ammo, gunsmith services. Maybe a loveseat in the middle with coffee and snacks. Something warm and inviting not the bad lighting and attitude gunshop.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So thinking about doing a retail shop . . .
View Quote

Dear God, why?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Bricks of .22lr for < $30.
brass case .223 for < $.38 per
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Less attitude.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#15]
what no other LGS has.  decent pricing and a knowledgeable staff.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#16]
"the good stuff" at great prices. not a run of the mill full msrp fud shop like 80% of shops around are.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi PointRossi

Tapco

UTG

Uncle Mike holsters

You've  been there?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I always want to see the cool stuff. Meaning UZI's, Mp5's, Steyr Aug's, FAL's, and so forth. Most of which Atlantic Firearms sells is what I love to see. And of course cheap AR-15's and AK-47's and Glock's for the new shooters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I typed and deleted a few sarcastic answers based solely on my frustration with local gun stores. So, I'll just say good luck in your endeavor. Strive to be better than the rest.
View Quote

This right here. Distinguish yourself and they will come.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#20]
You now what would be nice?

A gun store without all the cheap, crappy made in China stuff. There's one near me that's full of Barska and BSA scopes, UTG and Leapers parts, crappy mags, crappy (mostly) holsters etc. I try to spend money there to support a local place but all I ever spend anything on is transfers and occasionally ammo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Price.  Most people will go wherever they find the best price.  Some people will go where they get better customer service, but most will shop based on price.

Good prices and good service will get you far.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow ...actually some good advice in GD for op...except for the occasional....

Someone already mentioned... Cheap transfers. I drive pretty far just to get a $10 transfer with my ccw. The store is super small, however the employees are totally awesome. I feel bad sometimes because of the cheap transfers and end up spending more money just because I like their outfit...just picked up a Timmeny trigger from them on Saturday..

I would say cheap transfers and guns a bit more on the fringe ... Foreign surplus, AK's, small parts ( I often need the occasional spring and I hate paying $10 shipping for a $5 part) - who the heck carries just an AR disconnecter in Phoenix? And, above all, be enthusiastic about firearms..a lot of shops seem like they hate guns and hate the customers even more ...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Free transfers and cheap used guns seems to keep me going back to my ffl.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#24]
In all seriousness, I have a hard time wrapping my head around how b&m stores stay alive with the internet.  Sure, most people will want to walk in to buy a gun rather than doing an online purchase/transfer, but even still, you have to have your markup somewhere.

Speaking strictly on magazines, optics, holsters, etc., I think more people (outside of us ARFcom types) realize the price differences in buying online.

I know we have quite a few gun store employees here and I'm sure a few shop owners.  Maybe they can chime in and give you some feedback.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Go to a "surplus arms and ammo." That is what I want in a gun store. Competitive bulk ammo. Used cheap guns. A shit ton of accesories,parts and uppers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Typical gun store is:

- off brand accessories the workers will claim are better and cheaper.

- super expensive purpose ammo and super cheap bulk ammo of unknown origins.

- no accessories for guns people usually accesorize (10/22, AR, etc)

- tons of shit that no one wants (revolver speed loaders, stacks of general use holsters, etc)

Try not to be that guy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#27]
secret tactical information
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You now what would be nice?

A gun store without all the cheap, crappy made in China stuff. There's one near me that's full of Barska and BSA scopes, UTG and Leapers parts, crappy mags, crappy (mostly) holsters etc. I try to spend money there to support a local place but all I ever spend anything on is transfers and occasionally ammo.
View Quote

Once you get into real money for optics and such I would guess a huge percentage of those are ordered online because it's not a spur of the moment purchase and people actually compare prices.

I've talked to several people who opened a shop and were really disappointed the high end stuff didn't sell. You have to relise even the average arfcomer is way out of the norm for someone who walks into a gun shop.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Employees that are well trained, competent, helpful, but more importantly, friendly and well versed in customer service.

Crack that code, and you will have loyal, friendly customers.  For some reason, the gun industry is doomed to attract some of the worst in retail, and I just don't quite understand why.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#30]
cheap transfers because no matter how hard you try you won't stock what I want
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quality reloading tools.  Sinclair products aren't seen in retail stores too often.  Sometimes it woud be better to pick 'em up from a store rather than wait for the mail.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I agree with the $8 pmags and all the top name manufacturer firearms but you'll need more than that to be different than the rest. Maybe an indoor pistol range in the back with some rentals so people could use them to make some decisions on what type of pistol to revolver they would like to own. Maybe offer some classes for beginners on firearms, like how to properly use one and maintain it. Name brand accessories, especially for AR and M4 rifles because we all know that market is huge. You should carry accessories that no one else carries, Hard to find stuff that most people can only find on the internet. Everyone carries Magpul stuff and I find most peoples obsession with Magpul a little weird, but of course you should carry Magpul. I think the couch idea is ok, kind of like a lounge, But if your going to go that route you should also offer free wifi. You should also carry tactical gear. Make sure the people who handle customer service are not going to talk down to people as if they are all knowing. Its hard these days to be real innovative in the firearm business.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Cheap transfers. GCA of 68 is fucking bullshit.

Other than that I have no use for a shop. I've yet to find a gunshop that could compete with online based shops.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Free 2A movie night. Everyone legally carrying gets in free, others requested to make a donation to the nra-ila. Do a quick schmooz about store specials for the week, then pop a John Wayne dvd in.

Could sell popcorn and cokes too, I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Best gun store I ever knew was special because of the owner.  He liked to talk, had lots of stories, and always had a pot of coffee on for the customers.  After a while, his place became like a Mayberry RFD barber shop.  He was class III too, back in the pre 86 days.  Also, he had a rolodex with everyone's name on it.  After he got to know you, after you bought a few guns and hung out any, he'd let you have a tab.  You could go in his store and put a little money down and walk out with a gun.  He probably did more business than any other store in town.  God bless Dick's soul.  I miss him.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
what no other LGS has.  decent pricing and a knowledgeable staff.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#38]
You need to know your local market. You need a realistic understanding of what the local market demands, and what you're competing against.

You can compete on price, but you can't win on price. There's always somebody somewhere that can get shit cheaper than you can.

You need to be knowledgeable, open minded, and friendly. Most of the gun shops I've been to struggle with that.

Also, I'd advise against super cheap transfers. You're accepting legal responsibility for a transaction.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:32:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I agree with the $8 pmags and all the top name manufacturer firearms but you'll need more than that to be different than the rest. Maybe an indoor pistol range in the back with some rentals so people could use them to make some decisions on what type of pistol to revolver they would like to own. Maybe offer some classes for beginners on firearms, like how to properly use one and maintain it. Name brand accessories, especially for AR and M4 rifles because we all know that market is huge. You should carry accessories that no one else carries, Hard to find stuff that most people can only find on the internet. Everyone carries Magpul stuff and I find most peoples obsession with Magpul a little weird, but of course you should carry Magpul. I think the couch idea is ok, kind of like a lounge, But if your going to go that route you should also offer free wifi. You should also carry tactical gear. Make sure the people who handle customer service are not going to talk down to people as if they are all knowing. Its hard these days to be real innovative in the firearm business.

View Quote

LOL. A range is a million dollar investment and a huge liability.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:38:14 AM EDT
[#40]
A vending machine with Little Debbie cakes.  I love those things.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Boobs. Basically, I'd like to be able to walk in, and a hottie in a bikini is there, to act as my personal shopper, assisting me with my purchases, leaning over to get stuff off the shelf, reaching way up high to get things, then jumps on a trampoline for a few minutes, before ringing me up.

View Quote

Will there be a cover charge or will this make the items cost more? if so pass.

if not sign me up!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think we have a winner!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#43]
A couch, a few comfy chairs and free coffee.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Get a trunk monkey. There will be lots of times you want to hit the button.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Best gun store I ever knew was special because of the owner.  He liked to talk, had lots of stories, and always had a pot of coffee on for the customers.  After a while, his place became like a Mayberry RFD barber shop.  He was class III too, back in the pre 86 days.  Also, he had a rolodex with everyone's name on it.  After he got to know you, after you bought a few guns and hung out any, he'd let you have a tab.  You could go in his store and put a little money down and walk out with a gun.  He probably did more business than any other store in town.  God bless Dick's soul.  I miss him.

View Quote

reminds me of an archery shop I used to know, it was almost like an extended family
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So thinking about doing a retail shop what products and brands would you want to see in a gun store?
View Quote

The only thing that matters is customer service.

You really don't want a customer to hold a grudge against you for years, just because you sold him something you needed to unload once he figures it out after the fact.

Lie to me one time on purpose and I'll never set foot in your shop again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:54:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not going to give a smartass reply like I know others have.

What I want in a gunshop are KNOWLEDGABLE funployees.

Getting the guy who I swear to god was in the shoe department of target yesterday and knows fuckall about guns pisses me off to no end. If I ask to see the AK74 which is in the stack beside an AR and an FS2000, and is literally the only AK in the place, I don't want to have to tell him which one is the AK.

If I am looking for a specific piece of accessory, particularly an AR, I want someone who understands the difference between an EOTech and an Aimpoint.

Now I'm not saying that I'm looking for a gun master who can recite the backstory of every gun in the place and give a detailed breakdown and draw me out an IPB. I just want someone who shoots and understands guns.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#48]
You don't have to carry everything under the sun to be in business.

Stick with the major players in this industry.

BCM
Daniel Defense
Lewis Machine
Noveske
Magpul
Vortex, NF, Leupy
50 round boxes of Federal HST/Gold Dot/etc.
cases of ammo
$50-60 lowers
$10-15 transfers

When you take in a used gun for $1000, don't try to sell it for $1600.

It's perfectly fine to make 25% on a used firearm.

New firearms should be around 10% from distributors like RSR, AcuSport, Davidsons, Williams, Chattanooga, AmChar, etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Combine strippers, alcohol, tobacco and firearms for a one-stop shopping experience.

Seriously, check out the local market for knives.  Every shop in my area has an embarrassing small selection of knives or half of China's under $1 per knife year production out for display.  Life is too short for crappy knives.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I've always wanted a gun store where you can order new guns like a car dealership. Sit down with a catalog and pick different options, grips, colors. Then holsters and sights etc.

Also a store that won't give legal advice without citing the law they're talking about or a website that supports what they're saying. If I hear about a 3 step rule one more time...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top