BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 187
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm wondering if all them new Republicans will be good or bad for Ebola?
View Quote

Well, they're bad for Obama, which is good for everything, so there you go.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm wondering if all them new Republicans will be good or bad for Ebola?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
DAY 20 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN BRUSSELS BELGIUM -- No associated cases reported.

DAY 19 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN NEW YORK -- No associated cases reported.

DAY 15 SINCE HE STARTED NOTICING SYMPTOMS -- No associated cases reported.

DAY 13 SINCE CONFIRMATION OF VIRAL INFECTION -- No associated cases reported.

Timeline for Dr. Spencer in NYC.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]

DAY 21 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN BRUSSELS BELGIUM -- No one was infected on his first flight.

DAY 20 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN NEW YORK -- No associated cases reported.

DAY 16 SINCE HE STARTED NOTICING SYMPTOMS -- No associated cases reported.

DAY 14 SINCE CONFIRMATION OF VIRAL INFECTION -- No associated cases reported.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Obama wants $6.2 billion to fight ebola.

Link

"President Barack Obama is asking Congress for $6 billion to fight Ebola both in the United States and in West Africa, administration officials said Wednesday.

If he got the money, it would be an overwhelming boost to the U.S. efforts to fight the virus, which has infected at least 13,000 people and which is killing 70 percent of them.

Obama is asking the lame-duck Congress to approve the funding. Republicans took the Senate in Tuesday’s elections and strengthened their hold on the House, but lawmakers have just under two months to take action before the new legislators are sworn in.

House Speaker John Boehner said the appropriations committee would review the request.

The U.S. is keen to be seen as leading the international response to Ebola."
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

there realistically isn't anyone else to lead the effort. the who is pretty much functionally useless.
View Quote

The WHO can't do anything without donations from member states.  They're basically trying to guilt everyone into giving them money right now.

Not much different than what the governments of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea are doing.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The WHO can't do anything without donations from member states.  They're basically trying to guilt everyone into giving them money right now.

Not much different than what the governments of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea are doing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
there realistically isn't anyone else to lead the effort. the who is pretty much functionally useless.

Hey, why not, while we're at it, why don't we just give them 1T. It's a nice round number.........yeah, that's the ticket.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought that Ebola was supposed to be running rampant throughout the subway because of that doctor by now.....
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]

A pilot with the 437th Airlift Wing with 'flu-like symptoms' is
being screened for Ebola at Charleston, SC, hospital; health department
says he spent 3 hours in Liberia, did not exit plane - @Live5News

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i'll say it now.... not ebola
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A pilot with the 437th Airlift Wing with 'flu-like symptoms' is being screened for Ebola at Charleston, SC, hospital; health department says he spent 3 hours in Liberia, did not exit plane - @Live5News

http://www.live5news.com/story/27323882/jbc-pilot-with-flu-like-symptoms-screened-for-ebola-at-musc

Information Control kicking into high gear again, I see.

Nick
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A pilot with the 437th Airlift Wing with 'flu-like symptoms' is being screened for Ebola at Charleston, SC, hospital; health department says he spent 3 hours in Liberia, did not exit plane - @Live5News

http://www.live5news.com/story/27323882/jbc-pilot-with-flu-like-symptoms-screened-for-ebola-at-musc

The guy refueling the plane probably sneezed into the engine and infected the bleed air which got fed into the cockpit of the aircraft, but yeah, Ebola is not airborne keep believing that.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Any update on the state of the African pandemic?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The guy refueling the plane probably sneezed into the engine and infected the bleed air which got fed into the cockpit of the aircraft, but yeah, Ebola is not airborne keep believing that.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/07/us-health-ebola-burials-idUSKBN0IR1T720141107

"Change of Ebola pace may be reflected in burial practices

(Reuters) - A slowdown in Liberia's Ebola outbreak and the continued rampant rate of infection in Sierra Leone may reflect contrasting ways the two countries are dealing with burials, the World Health Organization said on Friday.

Ebola victims are most infections right after death, which means that traditional West African funerals, where families often touch the bodies, can cause the disease to spread rapidly.

Pierre Formenty, the leader of the WHO's Emerging and Epidemic Zoonotic Diseases team, said major efforts had been undertaken to make funerals safe, with more attention paid initially to Liberia than Sierra Leone.

At least 4,818 people have died in the outbreak in West Africa, but while the spread is slowing in Liberia and stable in Guinea, two-thirds of new cases in the past three weeks have been in Sierra Leone.

The Red Cross, which is leading the campaign for risk-free funerals, has conducted more than 2,200 burials in Liberia, but only 909 in Sierra Leone.

In Liberia's capital city, Monrovia, the delay between death and burial averaged three days in August. That period has now been reduced to less than 24 hours, meaning there is much less time for exposed bodies to infect anyone.

The importance of burials to stopping Ebola was shown by the case of a traditional healer who died in Sierra Leone early in the outbreak. The WHO has said 365 cases of Ebola were later traced back to participation in her funeral."

I remember how when this all started the people who suggested that Ebola wouldn't cause a pandemic in North America because we don't handle the dead bodies of Ebola victims was laughed at.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

certain ones sure are quiet all of a sudden.
View Quote

'cause they died from ebola.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]

DAY 22 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN BRUSSELS BELGIUM -- No one was infected on his first flight.

DAY 21 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN NEW YORK -- No one was infected on the trans-Atlantic flight.

DAY 17 SINCE HE STARTED NOTICING SYMPTOMS -- No associated cases reported.

DAY 15 SINCE CONFIRMATION OF VIRAL INFECTION -- No associated cases reported.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s499.photobucket.com/user/Attman_photos/media/Panic_zpsax6hguyb.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr358/Attman_photos/Panic_zpsax6hguyb.gif</a>
View Quote

Now that's a cute gif!!

Which ebola thread is the currently active one?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
there are 2. one for the US and one for Africa
View Quote

Link to the African one?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link to the African one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
there are 2. one for the US and one for Africa

Link to the African one?

African one.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have the tai number handy for the CDC's ebola plane?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

N173PA and N163PA are both approved to use the containment system.  They've been using them both on and off.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would you agree that our omniscient, omnipotent government was very lucky this time?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#28]

DAY 23 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN BRUSSELS BELGIUM -- No one was infected on his first flight.

DAY 22 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN NEW YORK -- No one was infected on the trans-Atlantic flight.

DAY 18 SINCE HE STARTED NOTICING SYMPTOMS -- No associated cases reported.

DAY 16 SINCE CONFIRMATION OF VIRAL INFECTION -- No associated cases reported.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

nope i say it went just like i thought it would. ebola is not nor will it be a major outbreak concern here like it is in africa. did i have a few times i was concerned, sure. i still wasn't worried about a major outbreak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you agree that our omniscient, omnipotent government was very lucky this time?

nope i say it went just like i thought it would. ebola is not nor will it be a major outbreak concern here like it is in africa. did i have a few times i was concerned, sure. i still wasn't worried about a major outbreak.

You're more confident, and trusting than I am then. This is an administration that is much more interested in appearances, rhetoric, and legacy than it's sworn job and the welfare of it's citizens. Our government feels it is much more responsible for the economy and health of a foreign nation than it's own citizens.  From all appearances, from the reports that leaked out, the hospitals were not prepared accordance with CDC protocols (despite assurances to the contrary), one was not even following basic common sense when dealing with patients that walked in sick after mentioning where they'd been, the system we appear to have in effect has nothing going for it except the goodwill and supposed good word/honor of potential victims of Ebola.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lucky?  Not really; real-world experience has shown the virus really can't spread quickly unless there are certain human factors which help it spread -- in Africa, those are abysmal sanitation, poorly-equipped hospitals and doctors, and local burial practices which, in retrospect, are perfect for transmitting Ebola.  None of those conditions exist here.

However, the events in Dallas demonstrated the CDC and the US government were just as unprepared for this epidemic as the WHO and governments of Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Guinea.  Everyone was caught flat-footed, and when it blew up, the first instinct of the Obama Administration was to treat it like an inconvenient political issue instead of a potential public health crisis.

Prior to this epidemic the medical community assumed that Ebola couldn't spread exponentially; it killed too many people too quickly and would naturally "burn itself out" as a result.  They assumed that because that's the way every previous outbreak had run, and for the first few months, that's how this outbreak spread.  That assumption influenced the response of the WHO and CDC and African governments and when it hit the cities and started to spread like wildfire there was a bit of denial at first.  The WHO didn't declare an emergency until August, and by then it was too late to stop it from infecting thousands more.

The CDC has taken a huge hit to their reputation, and I would hope they would be a bit more humble the next time around.  The historical trend suggests Ebola is not going away any time soon, even if we do develop a good vaccine.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lucky?  Not really; real-world experience has shown the virus really can't spread quickly unless there are certain human factors which help it spread -- in Africa, those are abysmal sanitation, poorly-equipped hospitals and doctors, and local burial practices which, in retrospect, are perfect for transmitting Ebola.  None of those conditions exist here.

However, the events in Dallas demonstrated the CDC and the US government were just as unprepared for this epidemic as the WHO and governments of Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Guinea.  Everyone was caught flat-footed, and when it blew up, the first instinct of the Obama Administration was to treat it like an inconvenient political issue instead of a potential public health crisis.

Prior to this epidemic the medical community assumed that Ebola couldn't spread exponentially; it killed too many people too quickly and would naturally "burn itself out" as a result.  They assumed that because that's the way every previous outbreak had run, and for the first few months, that's how this outbreak spread.  That assumption influenced the response of the WHO and CDC and African governments and when it hit the cities and started to spread like wildfire there was a bit of denial at first.  The WHO didn't declare an emergency until August, and by then it was too late to stop it from infecting thousands more.

The CDC has taken a huge hit to their reputation, and I would hope they would be a bit more humble the next time around.  The historical trend suggests Ebola is not going away any time soon, even if we do develop a good vaccine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, lucky, very lucky. The CDC and WHO are supposed to be prepared,  were supposed  to prepare for the worst........obviously they didn't and they weren't and that could have made all the difference.

Why support them to the billions of, trillions of dollars we spend on them if they are out studying gun violence, monkeys smoking or what ever else they spend our money on instead of preparing for something like this? No one has learned anything from this, it will soon be forgotten, and the next time the disease whatever it is may not be as forgiving.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#35]
What I gather is you're not supposed to touch dead people now.  Makes sense, but can we stop those who still like to touch dead people?

It also appears that we have the know how to use prior ebola survivors blood to cure new victims.

With these two things in mind, I have to assume Africa is just stupid.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

contrary to what people here think the administration wasn't running anything with this. nor were the talking heads from the cdc. i said that several times from the start. In all honesty had i not had the experience i had in the army there is a good chance i'd have come to the same conclusions. But there is a LOT that goes on beyond what gets reported or is seen in public.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're more confident, and trusting than I am then. This is an administration that is much more interested in appearances, rhetoric, and legacy than it's sworn job and the welfare of it's citizens. Our government feels it is much more responsible for the economy and health of a foreign nation than it's own citizens.  From all appearances, from the reports that leaked out, the hospitals were not prepared accordance with CDC protocols (despite assurances to the contrary), one was not even following basic common sense when dealing with patients that walked in sick after mentioning where they'd been, the system we appear to have in effect has nothing going for it except the goodwill and supposed good word/honor of potential victims of Ebola.

contrary to what people here think the administration wasn't running anything with this. nor were the talking heads from the cdc. i said that several times from the start. In all honesty had i not had the experience i had in the army there is a good chance i'd have come to the same conclusions. But there is a LOT that goes on beyond what gets reported or is seen in public.

So your contention is that the CDC did it's job? That it was prepared for the situation? That the CDC has prepared the hospitals for the possibility of an actual outbreak happening? That where the CDC has prepared the hospitals every thing is copacetic? Or is there another agency or bureau dealing with this behind the scenes?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
that is your primary misconception that the CDC's job is to prepare anyone. they are a research group and make recommendations. while i's a good idea to follow them they are a MINIMUM recommendation and there is no legal mandate to follow them.

the CDC team once they were allowed to get involved handled things very well as did the NIH team. The bigger issue was local hospitals not really being ready for anything. that has now changed a bit. Most of those hospitals are private entities more worried about the bottom line than patient care.

FEMA has been MASSIVELY ramping up education and resources in most hospitals over the last 60 days.
View Quote

My mistake, from watching the reports, and listening to the interviews I made the assumption that the CDC did both. Frieden and the POTUS made it sound that way, so I guess that is why I was mistaken.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

N173PA and N163PA are both approved to use the containment system.  They've been using them both on and off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#41]
DAY 24 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN BRUSSELS BELGIUM -- No one was infected on his first flight.

DAY 23 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN NEW YORK -- No one was infected on the trans-Atlantic flight.

DAY 19 SINCE HE STARTED NOTICING SYMPTOMS -- No associated cases reported.

DAY 17 SINCE CONFIRMATION OF VIRAL INFECTION -- No associated cases reported.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#42]
http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Ebola-fight-starting-to-pay-off-WHO-20141108

"Dye said the likely explanation was that many people were burying the dead in secret, possibly to avoid having authorities interfere with burial customs like washing and touching the deceased widely blamed for much of the transmission.

Sierra Leone's President Ernest Bai Koroma pressed the point in a meeting this week with lawmakers well as tribal and religious chiefs.

"You must enforce the law and take out the sick," he said, referring to a ban on traditional mourning rites with involve contact with corpses.

"This is time for action and you must stop the hypocrisy in the fight against Ebola," added Koroma, whose country has recorded 1 070 deaths from the disease and 4 759 cases."

I think they've stumbled on the solution, target the funerals and burials.  If we can stop the transmission occurring during the funerals that should drop the transmission rate below 1.  Currently Ebola's transmission rate seems to be 2, and that's with the stories we've been hearing of hundreds of people getting infected at one funeral.  Imagine when 70% of those hundreds of people die, and the people who get infected at their funerals.  Ensuring that the dead gets buried quickly and in a safe manner looks like it might just break the cycle.  

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#43]
DAY 25 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN BRUSSELS BELGIUM -- No one was infected on his first flight.

DAY 24 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN NEW YORK -- No one was infected on the trans-Atlantic flight.

DAY 20 SINCE HE STARTED NOTICING SYMPTOMS -- No associated cases reported.

DAY 18 SINCE CONFIRMATION OF VIRAL INFECTION -- No associated cases reported.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

doc is getting released soon another cured. so now the only death we have conus is the turd from liberia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DAY 25 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN BRUSSELS BELGIUM -- No one was infected on his first flight.

DAY 24 SINCE HE ARRIVED IN NEW YORK -- No one was infected on the trans-Atlantic flight.

doc is getting released soon another cured. so now the only death we have conus is the turd from liberia.

And I never would have believed that we'd still be at one CONUS death almost halfway into November.

I'm not afraid to admit I was a little concerned for a week or two.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

These timelines have been very informative.  They really have demonstrated just how difficult it is to get Ebola through casual contact.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:42:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

so not only is ebola not as contagious here as the media portrayed it also is apparently 90% survivable with proper care...

WHO KNEW.... information control
View Quote

This is one of those "Africa Wins Again" situations, where an otherwise rare, poorly-transmitted virus turns into an epidemic slate-wiper as soon as it hits areas crowded with ignorant, superstitious people who are governed by corrupt incompetent kleptocrats.

Although it's not just Africa; these same conditions exist in pretty much every Third World backwater -- they're a big reason those places are Third World backwaters in the first place.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

so not only is ebola not as contagious here as the media portrayed it also is apparently 90% survivable with proper care...

View Quote
And just imagine at the beginning of the thread we were mocked and accused of being government agents when we said this early on.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:47:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

This is one of those "Africa Wins Again" situations, where an otherwise rare, poorly-transmitted virus turns into an epidemic slate-wiper as soon as it hits areas crowded with ignorant, superstitious people who are government by corrupt incompetent kleptocrats.

Although it's not just Africa; these same conditions exist in pretty much every Third World backwater -- they're a big reason those places are Third World backwaters in the first place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is one of those "Africa Wins Again" situations, where an otherwise rare, poorly-transmitted virus turns into an epidemic slate-wiper as soon as it hits areas crowded with ignorant, superstitious people who are government by corrupt incompetent kleptocrats.

With hundreds of thousands of Africans dying each year from diseases like the measles or cholera, does Ebola even rank up there as an epidemic slate-wiper.  The 5,000 people dead from Ebola is nothing compared to the 600,000+ people that die from Malaria each year....

Page / 187
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top