Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 187
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
He goes jogging, bowling, eats at a restaurant and interacts with people all over NYC.  They guy may be the typhoid Mary.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He goes jogging, bowling, eats at a restaurant and interacts with people all over NYC.  They guy may be the typhoid Mary.
View Quote

Less than a month ago people were saying the same thing about Duncan.

The only people who got sick from him were the nurses who changed his bedpans without adequate PPE.  Not even Duncan's girlfriend got sick, even after sleeping next to him.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds irresponsible to me.  He'll have his defenders, though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The only people who got sick from him were the nurses who changed his bedpans without adequate PPE.  Not even Duncan's girlfriend got sick, even after sleeping next to him.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess this will be another litmus test for how sick you need to be in order to infect others.

Riding the subway just hours before testing positive for the virus.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget about what they were saying about the nurse who flew right before testing positive.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't forget about what they were saying about the nurse who flew right before testing positive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

to be fair... less time has transpired between when she flew and now as transpired between when this guy was exposed and now.  There's still time for infections to present themselves...

Now I don't actually expect any... I think the chances are low... but not zero.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dr. in Dallas test positive. Look for it in the news soon.
View Quote

Day 6

How much longer are they going to keep it covered up?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This may have been covered already, but I am not about to wade through more than 170 pages to find it.

My wife asked me a question today that I have wondered about.

According to what I've read, there is roughly a 90% death rate to being affected by Ebola.  My question is this....

In that 10% that survives, has the virus left the victims in a debilitated state?  What about permanent damage associated with surviving the disease?

I appreciate the information.
View Quote

I'm calculating 63% fatality rate via the method shown here .
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Should have to quarantine or test negative before being allowed to come back from the hot zone....especially when you've been elbows deep in the shit.

Do they have tests that can detect ebola between the time of being infected and presenting symptomatic?   I thought I read that Dallas Presbyterian had some machine that can do the tests but it wasn't  certified for use or some crap.

Its clear that nobody is being responsible with their in-state self quarantine...
View Quote

All of the PCR tests can return a positive before symptoms present. Usually a day before symptoms but with regular blood draw intervals one could get a positive beyond that.  The sensitivity of the tests limit how soon they'll be positive.  In addition, people become symptomatic at different rates so tests over 21 days are needed before declaring someone uninfected.

Pre-symptomatic testing is expensive unless there's a strong exposure event in the patient history.  I have a pre-symptom positive from a country in Africa.  That person knew they were exposed which is why testing was done to get a detection before symptoms presented.

IIRC, the emergency use authorizations say it's for symptomatic patient testing so surveillance would be off label use and require internal validation by facilities using it for that purpose.

Dallas has a FilmArray but the FilmArray isn't approved for emergency use yet.  BioFire said by December they anticipate having authorization.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm starting to agree about the not so contagious statement - hugging/slobbering all over the dead ... yes.  Three bottles of hand sanitizer every cargo pocket - no.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, start tracking the days since this guy arrived in the US and let's see what happens.

Ebola isn't as contagious as everyone thinks it is but I'm willing to keep an open mind and admit anything is possible.

I'm starting to agree about the not so contagious statement - hugging/slobbering all over the dead ... yes.  Three bottles of hand sanitizer every cargo pocket - no.

If I had Ebola, I would hug you and lick you. But, understand that it's because I like LaRue products, and not because I'm trying to eradicate the human race.  I tend forget some important stuff when I get excited, important stuff like - I've got Ebola.  Sorry, dude.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, shit.

The guy @ 0:53 in this vid, who was hired to clean Dr Spencer's building, lives in my building.

Saw him on the elevator this morning.

ETA: forgot to add the vid:

http://7online.com/uncategorized/neighbors-concerned-after-doctor-tests-positive-for-ebola/363779/
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
there is line about the width of a cunt-hair between sucking each others dicks about ebola being easily eradicated in our "first world" environment and a full blown epidemic of Hollywood proportions occurring. This is nothing to derive pleasure over either way. Its a morbid and loathing reality
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Here we are, between the first and second wave. When the third wave begins it's too late.

You need to start taking this seriously right now, this isn't going to go away, it is going to get much much worse.

Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Guess we find out if the real world definition of "airborne" matches up with the CDC's when they say Ebola is "not airborne".
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
there is line about the width of a cunt-hair between sucking each others dicks about ebola being easily eradicated in our "first world" environment and a full blown epidemic of Hollywood proportions occurring. This is nothing to derive pleasure over either way. Its a morbid and loathing reality
View Quote

I, for one, derive no pleasure in watching it unfold. As a healthcare provider, I'm disgusted at the institutional and individual actions that defy logic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The doc they have under observation here in NYC lives in my neighborhood
View Quote

You just need to understand you're already dead!

But seriously you've got ebola.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.  Jesus, some of you guys need to chill out and stop living in the Hollywood TEOTWAWKI fantasy worlds.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who cares if he took the car. He went to a concert or some shit with friends who live where I live and i'm sure they shook hands or hugged or whatever at the end of the night, hell maybe he made out with his GF. Regardless this asshat of a DR who is the type of person who SHOULD understand how quarantine works didn't follow instructions and now the popcorn is burning.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Who cares if he took the car. He went to a concert or some shit with friends who live where I live and i'm sure they shook hands or hugged or whatever at the end of the night, hell maybe he made out with his GF. Regardless this asshat of a DR who is the type of person who SHOULD understand how quarantine works didn't follow instructions and now the popcorn is burning.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Edit: F**K!

That jerkass went bowling like a half a mile from where I live last night.

Shit just got real.

Also. anyone want to buy some cheap bowling balls?

Sources said Spencer went bowling last night in Williamsburg and took an Uber car to get there and back, 1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria reported.

No big deal.

Hopefully he didn't give his girlfriend an ebola creampie.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

THIS.  Jesus, some of you guys need to chill out and stop living in the Hollywood TEOTWAWKI fantasy worlds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think anyone here is getting an erection over the scenario of a pandemic

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's marginally less of a fantasy world to first responders and people working in healthcare.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Saw my first few surgical masks being worn by pedestrians in midtown Manhattan over the past few days. Definitely creepy.

Not thrilled about that guy taking public transit. But with flu season coming on I've been dousing my hands with sanitizer during my daily subway rides anyway.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

exactly
there's a reason that HIV rates in the "inner cities" of the USA are on par with rates in the Congo - people in both places act the same way
why would ebola be any different?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They keep saying an Ebola outbreak can't be sustained in a modern country,  just wait until it hits Detroit or East St. Louis.

exactly
there's a reason that HIV rates in the "inner cities" of the USA are on par with rates in the Congo - people in both places act the same way
why would ebola be any different?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

for the same reason you think he is. IF and BIG IF there are any secondary infections they will be under close watch. most likely it will be a HCW having treated him, in which case other than sucking for them it won't amount to anything as a general public risk. just like duncan, phan and vinson.

but feel free to continue your panic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

glad you finally saw the light.

nothing will come of dr dumbass either.

Wait, why is he a dumbass then?

for the same reason you think he is. IF and BIG IF there are any secondary infections they will be under close watch. most likely it will be a HCW having treated him, in which case other than sucking for them it won't amount to anything as a general public risk. just like duncan, phan and vinson.

I say the only possible secondary infection on this one is the girlfriend I would imagine they've shagged a few times since he just got back from Africa.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I say the only possible secondary infection on this one is the girlfriend I would imagine they've shagged a few times since he just got back from Africa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doctors without borders? He was probably a "bottom"

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's marginally less of a fantasy world to first responders and people working in healthcare.
View Quote

No doubt.  But for the rest of us, we're not going to pop PMags and hide in the basement.

I'm a lot more concerned about some ISIS wannabe showing up at the local mall on a holiday weekend.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:51:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He used public transit in our biggest city, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a deadly game of whack-e-bolee for the next few months.  He could be like Mrs. O'Leary's cow too - and kill a million people too.  I really don't like this one, and thought we were over the scare.

But I suppose he washed his hands often, so there's probably little to worry about.

He didn't do that Bowling Alley any favors though - they may end up permanently closing due to hysteria.
View Quote

I don't know now they have a new promotional tool instead of cosmic bowling, black light bowling, etc they could have ebola bowling with full hazmat suits fun for the whole family.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Saw my first few surgical masks being worn by pedestrians in midtown Manhattan over the past few days. Definitely creepy.

Not thrilled about that guy taking public transit. But with flu season coming on I've been dousing my hands with sanitizer during my daily subway rides anyway.
View Quote
I've heard that won't actually do much to prevent flu... it's only really effective against bacteria...  not sure of the veracity of that though...

Washing your hands with good old soap and water is effective however.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Health care workers in WA state monitoring temperatures of travelers back from W. Africa

TACOMA — Health care workers in five counties are monitoring people who recently returned to Washington from West Africa.

Health departments in King, Snohomish,Pierce, Skagit and Clark counties are monitoring a total of five people in Washington as a precaution.

Everyone being monitored are said to be low-risk.

"I know there is a lot of anxiety around this right now,” Dr. Scott Lindquist said.

No one is showing any signs of sickness but they are not in the clear until 21 days because that’s how long it takes for symptoms to show up.

"We are following up with every single one of those travelers,” Lindquist said.

~snip~ more @ link

Reports: Two area nurses who returned from Eboloa-stricken areas of Africa self-monitoring, show no symptoms.

SEATTLE — Two area nurses who returned from treating Ebola patients in Africa are being monitored, two reports show. Neither is showing no symptoms, but is voluntarily restricting their movements to minimize any possible risk to others, the Seattle Times reported  and La Conner Weekly reported.

Under new federal CDC guidelines, health care workers returning from West Africa who are not sick will not be confined, but will be instructed to report their temperatures and presence or absence of any Ebola symptoms, including headaches, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting or lack of appetite.

James Apa, of Public Health — Seattle & King County, said one Seattle-area nurse is taking her temperature twice a day and reporting to the health department, but that she is not confined and not being tested for Ebola.

~snip~ more @ link

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I don't remember the details, but there is permanent damage.  I want to say organ damage and sometimes blindness.  Maybe someone with better memory will come along and clarify for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This may have been covered already, but I am not about to wade through more than 170 pages to find it.

My wife asked me a question today that I have wondered about.

According to what I've read, there is roughly a 90% death rate to being affected by Ebola. My question is this....

In that 10% that survives, has the virus left the victims in a debilitated state? What about permanent damage associated with surviving the disease?

I appreciate the information.

I don't remember the details, but there is permanent damage.  I want to say organ damage and sometimes blindness.  Maybe someone with better memory will come along and clarify for you.

It depends.  Some people have major complications, others recover with no ill effects.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He used public transit in our biggest city, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a deadly game of whack-e-bolee for the next few months.  He could be like Mrs. O'Leary's cow too - and kill a million people too.  I really don't like this one, and thought we were over the scare.

But I suppose he washed his hands often, so there's probably little to worry about.

He didn't do that Bowling Alley any favors though - they may end up permanently closing due to hysteria.

View Quote
He also probably wasn't that contagious, specially if he didn't have any symptoms at all.  Yes, we should err on the cautious side but him spreading Ebola on the subway seems to be an unlikely event.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
He isn't.  He was taking his temperature twice a day, went to the hospital as soon as he had a fever.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Ebola in NYC. Does that mean its Haiku time?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#35]
There is no cause for alarm, we were lucky the first go around and I have a good feeling we'll be lucky this time too.  Good luck is the major strategy in this fight against ebola.  We have it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:51:36 AM EDT
[#36]
hmm, what should we do with this PPE after leaving the infected Dr's apt?

now, the article does mention that its not known if they were actually in the apt or if they just removed the tape on the outside

its good to see that they are actually wearing P100 masks but one size definitely does not fit all and the little guy needs a smaller one
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've heard that won't actually do much to prevent flu... it's only really effective against bacteria...  not sure of the veracity of that though...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey man, don't take my placebo away from me, it's all that stands between me and the big E.

A good hand washing would be great during a commute, but if subway-sinks existed they would just be used as bum urinals.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/24/1414119308495_wps_62_NYPD_Police_take_down_cau.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/24/1414119276230_wps_58_NYPD_Police_take_down_cau.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/24/1414119289446_wps_60_NYPD_Police_take_down_cau.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/24/1414119352385_wps_63_NYPD_Police_take_down_cau.jpg

now, the article does mention that its not known if they were actually in the apt or if they just removed the tape on the outside

its good to see that they are actually wearing P100 masks but one size definitely does not fit all and the little guy needs a smaller one
View Quote

Sweet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
to be fair... less time has transpired between when she flew and now as transpired between when this guy was exposed and now.  There's still time for infections to present themselves...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not seeing how his timeline is markedly different.

Pham and Vinson both seemed to start showing hospital-worthy symptoms around day 10-12 from the time window Duncan was admitted to PPE being ramped up. Vinson flew one day, and was admitted the next. She was allegedly feeling unwell in the 2-3 days prior.

Spencer is 11 days out from last presumed exposure. He played in the city one day, and was admitted the next.He was feeling "sluggish," which I take to be feeling unwell, in the preceding 2 days.

Maybe the trigger to call during self-monitoring shouldn't be a fever and diarrhea/vomiting, but the malaise and viral prodromal symptoms that precede them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Guess we find out if the real world definition of "airborne" matches up with the CDC's when they say Ebola is "not airborne".
View Quote

If that was the case Duncan's family would have been infected since he was there with symptoms
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:00:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/24/1414119308495_wps_62_NYPD_Police_take_down_cau.jpg

Before the last Presidential election, the Yemeni guy who runs that deli told me he was going to vote for Romney because "Obama killed Bin Laden".

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:17:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Malign the Haiku
Without remorse or mercy
The stoic Azygos
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:22:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or people that routinely come into contact with people that have been in west africa.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Health care workers in WA state monitoring temperatures of travelers back from W. Africa

Link

TACOMA — Health care workers in five counties are monitoring people who recently returned to Washington from West Africa.

Health departments in King, Snohomish,Pierce, Skagit and Clark counties are monitoring a total of five people in Washington as a precaution.

"I know there is a lot of anxiety around this right now,” Dr. Scott Lindquist said.

No one is showing any signs of sickness but they are not in the clear until 21 days because that’s how long it takes for symptoms to show up.

~snip~ more @ link

Reports: Two area nurses who returned from Eboloa-stricken areas of Africa self-monitoring, show no symptoms.

Link

SEATTLE — Two area nurses who returned from treating Ebola patients in Africa are being monitored, two reports show. Neither is showing no symptoms, but is voluntarily restricting their movements to minimize any possible risk to others, the Seattle Times reported  and La Conner Weekly reported.

Under new federal CDC guidelines, health care workers returning from West Africa who are not sick will not be confined, but will be instructed to report their temperatures and presence or absence of any Ebola symptoms, including headaches, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting or lack of appetite.

James Apa, of Public Health — Seattle & King County, said one Seattle-area nurse is taking her temperature twice a day and reporting to the health department, but that she is not confined and not being tested for Ebola.

~snip~ more @ link

View Quote

I guess they don't teach english in jounalism school anymore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:30:37 AM EDT
[#47]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He also probably wasn't that contagious, specially if he didn't have any symptoms at all.  Yes, we should err on the cautious side but him spreading Ebola on the subway seems to be an unlikely event.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you have never been on mass transit in NYC during rush hour.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He isn't.  He was taking his temperature twice a day, went to the hospital as soon as he had a fever.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you missed the part about him being symptomatic the day before and was out and about.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

~snip~ more @ link

Link

~snip~ more @ link

Subtle message by a dissenter in the Information Control Network.

Page / 187
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top