I'm just here for more Ebola haikus
View Quote

Getting kinda tired of Haikus.

How about a nice rousing sonnet?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the system takes time to learn and implement changes. been saying this from the start. it's also why i fully believed we will never see a liberia style ebola event here. we have the education, resources and hygiene to stop it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you call EMS and answer yes to a couple questions, have over 101.5 fever, you are QT on the spot if at home, and the State Health Department steps in. Many changes in HC/EMS procedures are coming. New CDC guidelines by weekend. Slowly but surely the system is waking up and changing for the better.

the system takes time to learn and implement changes. been saying this from the start. it's also why i fully believed we will never see a liberia style ebola event here. we have the education, resources and hygiene to stop it.

By the time they are all asking the right questions, the questions will be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead

Dead Dead Dead Dead Ebola

Dead Dead Dead Dead Dead
View Quote

You win
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Had to spring it early, didn't you?

thesilvecord, in addition to your most recent fantastic claim, you said each of the things mentioned above and all have turned out to be false. It's pretty rare, even in GD, for anyone to repeatedly fabricate information.

I'm trying to understand your angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am saying that if you knew the same info from the strong sources that I have and you had the same relationship with them, you would think so too. But you don't. To you, I'm probably just some internet guy full of shit, and that's okay for you to believe like its okay for me to believe my trusted sources.

Would these be the same sources who told you on Wednesday that there were 5-6 additional healthcare workers (other than Pham and Vinson) at Presby Dallas who were exhibiting Ebola-like symptoms?  None of whom have since materialized? Or are these the sources that told you secretive federal agencies were calling Dallas to warn their families because they "knew how bad it was going to get" even before the CDC had confirmed Duncan?

thesilvecord, in addition to your most recent fantastic claim, you said each of the things mentioned above and all have turned out to be false. It's pretty rare, even in GD, for anyone to repeatedly fabricate information.

I haven't followed these claims, but odds are that "ebola-like symptoms" really means "flu-like symptoms".  As the disease progresses and reveals itself as a condition other than ebola the story disappears, because it was never in the public eye to begin with.  That's a claim I wouldn't say has been debunked.  

All of this is just a taste of what's to come this flu season if we don't convincingly squash this thing- a vicious cycle of secrecy, rumor, and inadequacy.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you call EMS and answer yes to a couple questions, have over 101.5 fever, you are QT on the spot if at home, and the State Health Department steps in. Many changes in HC/EMS procedures are coming. New CDC guidelines by weekend. Slowly but surely the system is waking up and changing for the better.

What are your thoughts on something like multi-spectrum TB imported and spread by our "undocumented worker" population getting out of hand?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I haven't followed these claims, but odds are that "ebola-like symptoms" really means "flu-like symptoms".  As the disease progresses and reveals itself as a condition other than ebola the story disappears, because it was never in the public eye to begin with.  That's a claim I wouldn't say has been debunked.  

All of this is just a taste of what's to come this flu season if we don't convincingly squash this thing- a vicious cycle of secrecy, rumor, and inadequacy.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am saying that if you knew the same info from the strong sources that I have and you had the same relationship with them, you would think so too. But you don't. To you, I'm probably just some internet guy full of shit, and that's okay for you to believe like its okay for me to believe my trusted sources.

Would these be the same sources who told you on Wednesday that there were 5-6 additional healthcare workers (other than Pham and Vinson) at Presby Dallas who were exhibiting Ebola-like symptoms?  None of whom have since materialized? Or are these the sources that told you secretive federal agencies were calling Dallas to warn their families because they "knew how bad it was going to get" even before the CDC had confirmed Duncan?

Nah...you have to follow the thread. thesilvercord has made several claims to being a "hospital manager" in Dallas with inside information. He's claimed that there have been multiple Ebola patients that are being kept secret.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

except in this case
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the time they are all asking the right questions, the questions will be wrong.

except in this case

Isn't "Have you been to Africa recently?" the alarm bell question? Already irrelevant for both nurses and their boyfriends (do the boyfriends actually have the Ebola?).
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just a trashy Limerick
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or maybe a limerick?

There was a young man with Ebola

With blood coming out his asshola

He flew o'er the sea

And landed near me

Why couldn't his kin been in NOLA?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

you do actually understand how and why they got it don't you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

except in this case

Isn't "Have you been to Africa recently?" the alarm bell question? Already irrelevant for both nurses and their boyfriends (do the boyfriends actually have the Ebola?).

Um, yes. They contracted it right here in the good old United States of America. Right???
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I think his point is that healthcare workers are at risk when caring for patients in the later stages of the disease, no matter where they are.

The boyfriends aren't infected, just FYI.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think his point is that healthcare workers are at risk when caring for patients in the later stages of the disease, no matter where they are.

The boyfriends aren't infected, just FYI.
View Quote

Thank you for the logical and informative reply, sans Baghdad Bobbing.

I'm glad to hear the boyfriends don't have it. I don't have the time to follow this thread in detail.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]

except in this case

Isn't "Have you been to Africa recently?" the alarm bell question? Already irrelevant for both nurses and their boyfriends (do the boyfriends actually have the Ebola?)

Um, yes. They contracted it right here in the good old United States of America. Right???
View Quote

but the CDC, the NIH, and the WH all have said that was highly unlikely, that they were on top of it,  in fact the POTUS even said so, he referred to it as a rare event, or rare chance, or something like that..........didn't he? Does he know that words mean things?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#18]
No new infections for 5 days.

Study predicts Ebola spread and up to three infected could be in the US each month according to the Wall Street Journal.  

http://online.wsj.com/articles/ebola-study-projects-spread-of-virus-1413846023?mod=WSJ_hp_RightTopStories

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great minds think alike

The sidewalk was covered in vomit

They should've just cleaned it with Comet

They sprayed it instead

Now it falls on my head

If I had a mask I would don it

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Obamacare in the age of Ebola.................  Really, joking, but not by much.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Study predicts Ebola spread and up to three infected could be in the US each month according to the Wall Street Journal.  

http://online.wsj.com/articles/ebola-study-projects-spread-of-virus-1413846023?mod=WSJ_hp_RightTopStories

View Quote

I posted some rough projections and likelihoods based on reported cases. Unfortunately, with Liberia giving up on reporting, I'm now modifying these probabilities based on the CDC/WHO projections, instead of just using the reported numbers.

ETA:
And thank you for that link.  I've pulled up the Lancet paper and will read through it later tonight.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

After reading through the WSJ article and the original Lancet publication, the study does not project 3 cases imported into the US each month.

The study projects 2.8 to 7.1 exported cases from Liberia/Sierra Leone/Guinea each month, depending on the level of air travel availability (7.1/month unrestricted, 2.8/month with some restrictions).  Of all outbound passengers from these three countries, only 2% are projected to arrive in the US.

So, between 9/1 and 12/31 that's roughly 11.2 to 28.4 infected passengers leaving the three countries, with 2% arriving in the US - so that's fractions of a person arriving in the US by 12/31 - according to the study.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#24]
So of the eight folks treated for Ebola in the US during this scare, only Duncan has died, correct?

By my figurin', that ain't 70%.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

After reading through the WSJ article and the original Lancet publication, the study does not project 3 cases imported into the US each month.

The study projects 2.8 to 7.1 exported cases from Liberia/Sierra Leone/Guinea each month, depending on the level of air travel availability (7.1/month unrestricted, 2.8/month with some restrictions).  Of all outbound passengers from these three countries, only 2% are projected to arrive in the US.

So, between 9/1 and 12/31 that's roughly 11.2 to 28.4 infected passengers leaving the three countries, with 2% arriving in the US - so that's fractions of a person arriving in the US by 12/31 - according to the study.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I jumped the gun a bit...

"The two countries at highest risk of importing Ebola cases are Ghana and Senegal. Senegal has had one Ebola scare involving a person who traveled overland from Guinea.

The risk to European countries or the U.S. is considerably less, showed the study that was funded by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research. The research concludes that for every case exported to the U.S., there will be about eight cases exported to the U.K. and France combined."

BTW,  they are training some Liberian Drs and health care workers in some  upcoming Ebola training sessions at Anniston, AL.  They have already finished one class for mostly stateside workers to travel over to W. Africa.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I am surprised that we did not ship him off to qt.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've heard from more than one person in the Dallas area that has ties in the medical community that they suspect they're using HIPAA to keep the lid on info about additional cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
question about pham's boy friend -

jenkins hemed and hawed, finally said due to hipaa he wouldn't say anything

I've heard from more than one person in the Dallas area that has ties in the medical community that they suspect they're using HIPAA to keep the lid on info about additional cases.

Keep your eyes on the news it's going to break anytime, my source is 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
apparently so
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever happened to the doc in Dallas?

Another false flag from a friend of a friend of an Arfcomer?

apparently so

My shocked face.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Pham got a transfusion from an immune person for this strain, which IIRC is the Zaire.
Vinson did not, so I think we not see the same outcome in both.

The infected UN Aid worker in Germany has died IIRC.
Haven't heard anything about the Spanish nurse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder how she's doing.  I know the family is trying to stay quiet on her condition, but you'd think there would've been some update since they moved her.  We've heard how Pham is, but not Vinson.  I can see how patient privacy is important but her condition is a legitimate concern for the public.

Article I read earlier specifically stated that the Vinsons did not give permission to release her condition.  Think it was on CNN.com.

Pham got a transfusion from an immune person for this strain, which IIRC is the Zaire.
Vinson did not, so I think we not see the same outcome in both.

The infected UN Aid worker in Germany has died IIRC.
Haven't heard anything about the Spanish nurse.

She is ebola free and going home.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to the doc in Dallas?

Another false flag from a friend of a friend of an Arfcomer?
View Quote

That would be correct just like all the others.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooooh, someone needs this.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I searched Arfcom for this one but didn't see it anywhere.

EMT relative of mine (married to a city cop) told me this morning that there is a confirmed case at Ben Taub hospital here in Houston but the hospital isn't making it public. He received his information from a friend that works in the ER there.

Is it true? Hell, I don't know. I'm not posting this saying it is...just that a very reliable source OF MINE thinks it is. Hopefully it isn't.
View Quote

No it isn't, every time one of these rumors sounds like six degrees of Kevin bacon its bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Obola & Czar
Fear their reflection in
The bloody vomitus.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, and in light of the above, any intimation that there are "secret" Ebola cases out there is just fucking stupid.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Given that containment is a huge part of dealing with an outbreak of something like Ebola, trying to keep the existence of a patient a secret is phenominally stupid.  The authorities would have to contact people with whom the patient has had contact, and there's no way that'd be staying a secret.  

It's just not something you could rationally expect to keep under wraps.

Yeah, and in light of the above, any intimation that there are "secret" Ebola cases out there is just fucking stupid.  

+1 I would support an auto ban for anyone posting the "I heard from a trusted source" rumors.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So of the eight folks treated for Ebola in the US during this scare, only Duncan has died, correct?

View Quote

Western medicine's pretty cool. Duncan was 13 days from initial hospital visit to death, and was symptomatic a couple days before.

Vinson & Pham probably entered isolation at an earlier phase than Duncan. Pham is on day 10 of hospitalization, and Vinson is on day 6. I still wouldn't be doing the dancing banana yet, since we don't yet know how the two nurses are doing. There's a lot of crap, so to speak, that could still happen. If good care here in the US can actually bring EVD CFR down to 12.5%, I'll be happily amazed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't mind doing the dancing banana with Pham.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Western medicine's pretty cool. Duncan was 13 days from initial hospital visit to death, and was symptomatic a couple days before.

Vinson & Pham probably entered isolation at an earlier phase than Duncan. Pham is on day 10 of hospitalization, and Vinson is on day 6. I still wouldn't be doing the dancing banana yet, since we don't yet know how the two nurses are doing. There's a lot of crap, so to speak, that could still happen. If good care here in the US can actually bring EVD CFR down to 12.5%, I'll be happily amazed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I understand the key to survival is maintaining hydration and electrolyte balance during the illness.  That's relatively easy to do here in the US; in Africa, it's downright impossible for the average patient.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Obola & Czar
Fear their reflection in
The bloody vomitus.
View Quote

Fail.

These damn 14ers
Personal attack that was
Hope I don't get banned
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd require two negative ebola test first.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to say something filthy involving duct tape and MOPP gear, but she's just too damned cute. I hope she comes through just fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

"The two countries at highest risk of importing Ebola cases are Ghana and Senegal. Senegal has had one Ebola scare involving a person who traveled overland from Guinea.

The risk to European countries or the U.S. is considerably less, showed the study that was funded by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research. The research concludes that for every case exported to the U.S., there will be about eight cases exported to the U.K. and France combined."

BTW,  they are training some Liberian Drs and health care workers in some  upcoming Ebola training sessions at Anniston, AL.  They have already finished one class for mostly stateside workers to travel over to W. Africa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just worked the Lancet-based export numbers into my reported-cases spreadsheet by the following destinations:
US, Canada, EU, Africa, Lebanon, India and China
I now feel like a jerk for not treating the UK separately, since we have a number of Arfcom members who post from the UK, but since none of them are in this thread, I shall declare them to be the jerks.  If they want their own special numbers, they can just multiply my EU figures by 0.399.  And, no, I don't know why Lebanon is it's own category - parse through the Lancet stuff and tell me that you wouldn't do the same thing!

Based on reported cases, the US should have seen 0.1 infected cases from Liberia since the start of the epidemic.  But, that's reported cases.  Actual cases in Liberia, as of today, are possibly 10 times higher than reported, so that puts us at 1.0 imports from Liberia - Duncan.  But, by this measure, the EU should have seen 11 imports by now (based on projections, not reported), and as far as I'm aware, they've only seen medical evacs, leaving them at 0 imports.

So, through today, the probability of imports into the US isn't significant, but with each passing week, we need to re-evaluate the benefit to the affected areas by our holding off on travel restrictions.  Once we start restricting travel, other western nations will follow suit, and that will complicate mitigation efforts in the most stricken areas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Great minds think alike

They sprayed it instead
Now it falls on my head

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great minds think alike

They sprayed it instead
Now it falls on my head

excellent!  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Fail.

These damn 14ers
Personal attack that was
Hope I don't get banned
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obola & Czar
Fear their reflection in
The bloody vomitus.

Fail.

These damn 14ers
Personal attack that was
Hope I don't get banned

I avoid the Haiku thing on principle, but yours is worth of an enthusiastic thumbs up - at least with respect to the content.  I think many of the other Haikus have superior artistic merit, though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nah...you have to follow the thread. thesilvercord has made several claims to being a "hospital manager" in Dallas with inside information. He's claimed that there have been multiple Ebola patients that are being kept secret.
View Quote

I guess we'll see, but that does seem extremely unlikely considering how much vocal criticism there was from Presbyterian nurses.

Whatever.  Good to see the chicken littles have found something else to do.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:02:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we can keep it well below 50%.  Imagine trying to dispose of 5 liters of infectious shit and vomit every day without plumbing and disinfectant.

ETA- Also this.

Quoted:
From what I understand the key to survival is maintaining hydration and electrolyte balance during the illness.  That's relatively easy to do here in the US; in Africa, it's downright impossible for the average patient.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:21:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I am surprised that we did not ship him off to qt.  

View Quote
[Linebacker] Hell no! You tackle that puking bitch. [/Linebacker]

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In one of the vice documentaries where they were interviewing the head Doc, he made specific mention that they were unable to monitor fluid in/out, or electrolytes.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

except in this case

Kinda like the TSA announcement in airports about unattended bags, after the jihadis hijacked jets and flew them into buildings abd trued to blow up their shoes and underwear, why is the TSA still concerned with unattended bags inside the sure area where everything is supposedly screened?
Page / 187
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top