Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 187
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone tell me quick.

Do I need to duct tape my doors and windows yet?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And keep a close eye on the *borders*.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've been saying it's only a matter of time until it gets here, and bringing people here for treatment in violation of good epidemiology practice certainly isn't helping.

Bringing a small number of people to dedicated treatment centers is a fairly low risk situation.

And not something we should be concerned about when we still have free air travel and 2 wide open boarders.

The only way to secure the country from Ebola would be to shut down both boarders and close off all air and sea travel to or from the US. Which would wreck all sorts of havoc on the economy.

And keep a close eye on the *borders*.

Meh
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
And just remember. He didn't wash his hands after prepping your food from the fast food drive thru.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Will ebola have the same civil rights as AIDS?
View Quote

You mean the patients?

Yes.

Generally, people do not lose their civil and constitutional rights when they have a disease.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Another supposed case
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Someone tell me quick.

View Quote

you haven't already?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ummm, we don't weap on the bodies of the dead. We don't ritually wash corpses with water as part of a mourning ritual.

Yes Ebola could make quick work of impoverished communities if it were introduced, but it would burn out relatively quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They keep saying an Ebola outbreak can't be sustained in a modern country,  just wait until it hits Detroit or East St. Louis.

Ummm, we don't weap on the bodies of the dead. We don't ritually wash corpses with water as part of a mourning ritual.

Yes Ebola could make quick work of impoverished communities if it were introduced, but it would burn out relatively quickly.

Ghetto clearing cure?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They keep saying an Ebola outbreak can't be sustained in a modern country,  just wait until it hits Detroit or East St. Louis.

so this guy in the hospital in TX was handling dead bodies before he got on the plane?
all 6000+ ebola patients so far were all fucking around with corpses?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ghetto clearing cure?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ghetto clearing cure?

Wow
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Seriously, though, for those of you worried about Ebolapocalypse, I wouldn't worry too much.

Diseases like Ebola are probably never going to become "slate wipers" for the simple reason that they usually start to kill their victims at a faster rate than new ones are infected.  This generally results in them "burning themselves out" like a wildfire running out of timber.

Of course, it sucks if you are one of the one or two million people in the "fire" so to speak, but, well, shit happens.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Its name was "Texas".

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seriously, though, for those of you worried about Ebolapocalypse, I wouldn't worry too much.

Diseases like Ebola are probably never going to become "slate wipers" for the simple reason that they usually start to kill their victims at a faster rate than new ones are infected.  This generally results in them "burning themselves out" like a wildfire running out of timber.

Of course, it sucks if you are one of the one or two million people in the "fire" so to speak, but, well, shit happens.

View Quote

not so
the R0 number for the current outbreak is believed to be somewhere around 2
meaning each patient infects 2 others before croaking
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Someone tell me quick.

View Quote

The ARF council has opted to nuke it from orbit. I don't think duct tape will be enough.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

so this guy in the hospital in TX was handling dead bodies before he got on the plane?
View Quote

Same thing I was thinking; I can't believe all those doctors we've been importing were so damn careless as to weep over the dead like that!

Or 'weap', whatever the fuck - doesn't sound kosher to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So...did he come in on the Airbus 380 from Australia that also landed at DFW today? How many others out there did he infect?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

not so
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not so

Why do you suppose it is that previous outbreaks in Africa did not wipe out that entire continent?

Just curious.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebola is transmitted by contact with bodily fluids, which are heavily prevalent on corpses, but also on the surface touched by infected patients.

One of the major reasons Ebola was able to take root in Africa was a distrust and superstitious attitudes about medical personnel and facilities. People went to shamen instead.

Here there is no such superstition, and people readily go see the doctor.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wow
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ghetto clearing cure?

Wow

No, as in everyone leaves the Ghetto and you get ghost towns.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its name was "Texas".

View Quote

I mean.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#20]
....and all the thousands of dead Texans will suddenly vote Democrat in the next election.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I am fearing the day they say, "no travel" and I am stuck here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why do you suppose it is that previous outbreaks in Africa did not wipe out that entire continent?

Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not so

Just curious.

Why do you hate epidemics so much?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not so

Just curious.

I really hope you are being willfully ignant, and are not authentically that ignant.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not so

Just curious.

No hate.  They can be fun while they last.

But they never seem to live up to their true science fiction potential.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a link to a presentation by Dr Mark Kortepeter (Colonel, US Army
Medical Corps Director, Infectious Disease Clinical Research Program)
regarding viral hemorrhagic fevers (2012).
It's interesting to note that he recommends precautions geared around
potential airborne transmission when treating patients with suspected
VHF.  This presentation was developed around the same time Canadian
scientists observed airborne transmission between pigs and monkeys.  I
guess there's a difference between sneeze droplets travelling pretty far
versus a more "true" airborne process...I'm not sure how much it
matters.
Also note reference to a case involving parasite (tick) bites and VHF.
http://wrair-www.army.mil/Documents/TropMed/Feb-2012/%2819%29%20Kortepeter_Hemorrhagic%20Fevers_February%202012.pdf
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not so

Just curious.

it never made it to the cities before
it used to just wipe out a remote village then go back into the woods

and maybe this strain is behaving differently
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Presbyterian Hospital Dallas seven miles east of Barshaw. Target reference November Bravo X-Ray One Zero Eight. Fused airburst at ten, check, twelve thousand feet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Frack me
I am supposed to work there in a few weeks
Not good for the home team
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Frack me
View Quote

His name was.......
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
His name was.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Frack me

His name was.......

Ar GON 3

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Just when the Cowboys were hitting stride :(
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like the prn rate for RN's just took a jump.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Frack me
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not so

Just curious.

Interesting.  Yes, that may be true.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm sorry, I know the likelihood in the US that an Ebola outbreak really takes hold is slim to none....however, I'm getting increasingly weary of every asshole in some third world shithole that gets Ebola that is brought here for treatment.  They knew the risks of working in those areas, but now they want the US to save their ass at "potentially" the expense of US citizens when shit gets real.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ebola is transmitted by contact with bodily fluids, which are heavily prevalent on corpses, but also on the surface touched by infected patients.

One of the major reasons Ebola was able to take root in Africa was a distrust and superstitious attitudes about medical personnel and facilities. People went to shamen instead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its this contradictory doubletalk why nobody believes the "experts" this time
you can only get ebola from wallowing around with dead corpses thus "it cant happen here" yet at the same time you can get it from touching an infected door handle then picking your nose
which is it? you cant have it both ways
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Looks like the prn rate for RN's just took a jump.
View Quote

is prn rate anything like an infection rate?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#38]
When they get two or three confirmed cases then I will panic!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for "New, improved Ebola!  Now with airborne transmission!"

And when that happens, yeah, all those survival preps you guys have stockpiled will finally start to come in handy.
View Quote

Whew. About time!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I really hope you are being willfully ignant, and are not authentically that ignant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not so

Just curious.

Hey genius, my question was rhetorical (that's a big word, so you might want to look it up) in nature.

This stuff has been mathematically modeled before.

Yes, I KNOW why the disease did not wipe out the entire continent.

The fact that it has not only proves my original assertion.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ar GON 3

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frack me

His name was.......

Ar GON 3

ARG! ON 3!!! BREAK! *hand claps*
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Frack me

His name was.......

Ar GON 3

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#43]
DAY 2
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
DAY 2
View Quote

lol...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I heard on the radio a while back that there is a 30-40% chance of someone carrying Ebola into the US before the end of this year.
View Quote
shit I can believe a few jihadis havent infected them self and brought it over and head for a place like vegas

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#46]
In on day 2.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Reading most of the responses, it's quite easy to see that 90% of ARFCOMers have no fucking idea how Ebola is spread.

Jesus Christ, read a fucking article instead of a headline for once.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#48]
This is literally about a mile from where I live.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Were all dead

Edit: in on 2
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#50]
In.

Fucking idiots are doing all they can to expose us.
Page / 187
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top