BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If story is accurate, cop is an ass.  Who puts that much work in for a little weed or suspicion of weed....good lord.  Also, seizing the car means the guy is basically your responsibility.  You just can't leave him out there like that in those conditions.
View Quote

Pretty much every cop I have come in contact with. Everyone is a doper until proven otherwise and left standing on the side of the road in the rain with all of the contents of their car tossed in a heap in the mud.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If story is accurate, cop is an ass.  Who puts that much work in for a little weed or suspicion of weed....good lord.  Also, seizing the car means the guy is basically your responsibility.  You just can't leave him out there like that in those conditions.
View Quote

I agree that the cop was an ass, but did he honestly know beforehand that he was dealing with JUST weed? Doesn't seem that way based on the story.

Let's play what if: What if he searched the car, just as the story says, based on the smell of weed, but instead of turning up nothing, he turns up four kilos of heroin and 1,000 pills?

Then we wouldn't even be discussing this incident.

The only reason we're discussing it is because they found nothing of importance, and human nature is to judge to morality or legality of doing something based on the result.

Hindsight is 20/20. This bullshit comes from the same people who say "He only had a toy gun, why did you shoot him!" or "He was unarmed, why did you shoot him!" or "He was a good kid, why did you shoot him!"

Because most humans can not look at the situation objectively. Those who can become cops.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of freedom haters in this thread.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Read it again, Genius.
View Quote

I did, and I came to the same conclusion.

You're judging the basis for the stop on the result.

If they had found 4 kilos of heroin you wouldn't be thinking the same way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Having that Gadsden flag as part of your avatar is ironic.
View Quote

Actually, if I did not have pay taxes to support the stoners, I would agree with you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Valid search based upon current majority rule common law.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree that the cop was an ass, but did he honestly know beforehand that he was dealing with JUST weed? Doesn't seem that way based on the story.

Let's play what if: What if he searched the car, just as the story says, based on the smell of weed, but instead of turning up nothing, he turns up four kilos of heroin and 1,000 pills?

The only reason we're discussing it is because they found nothing of importance, and human nature is to judge to morality or legality of doing something based on the result.

Hindsight is 20/20. This bullshit comes from the same people who say "He only had a toy gun, why did you shoot him!" or "He was unarmed, why did you shoot him!" or "He was a good kid, why did you shoot him!"

Because most humans can not look at the situation objectively. Those who can become cops.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, we should abandon all principles of liberty because someone might have the potential to be some cop's career furthering collar?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read it again, Genius.

Yes, I would.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh trust me I get it, that is when you use your spidey sense and discretion.  I have a feeling this was a pissed off police act though. He had enough to conduct a search. Cop is lucky nothing happened to the guy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I read the whole thing.

They found a grinder and pipe and he'd been pinched once for misdemeanor personal possession of MJ (dismissed) so I'm sure some will ignore the violation of rights.

But if you read the whole thing, morally and legally that cop deserves charges as does the supervisor he seemed to be getting permission from over the phone.

Disgusting.
View Quote

The cop got a warrant, signed by a judge.  Where is this violation of rights you speak of?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh trust me I get it, that is when you use your spidey sense and discretion.  I have a feeling this was a pissed off police act though. Cop is lucky nothing happened to the guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh trust me I get it, that is when you use your spidey sense and discretion.  I have a feeling this was a pissed off police act though. Cop is lucky nothing happened to the guy.

Agreed.

Here in Ohio, we had a trooper and a deputy pulled over a drunk mexican, and ended up not charging him but instead dropped him off at a Taco Bell to sober up.

After they left, he walked out into traffic and got killed. They were both fired, charged, and at least one of them was convicted of dereliction of duty, IIRC. I'll try to find the article here in a bit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So, we should abandon all principles of liberty because someone might have the potential to be some cop's career furthering collar?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But our GD LE argue otherwise...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Search everybody with a gun because it might lead to a felon with a firearm arrest.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While we're playing what if, what if he had Jimmy Hoffa's body in the trunk?  I mean, if "what if" is what we're going to base a state seizure of property on we might as well go for broke.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually, if I did not have pay taxes to support the stoners, I would agree with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Don't Tread on Me" ...... unless you suspect I might have drugs, in which case tread away.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is it really that hard to keep your coat on and adjust the car's interior temperature accordingly?

On cold days (-20 last winter) I drove with a hoodie on under my Carhartt coat, and kept my gloves in my pockets.

Maybe this deserves a thread of it's own? "Bugging out when you can't get to your bug-out bag."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the day's high temperature will be 21 degrees and you're in a hoodie you lose the right to bitch about the cold.

I always tell my son "don't dress for the walk to the car, dress for the walk home from the crash."
I keep a lot of warm clothes in my truck.    

What makes you think the cop would have let him retrieve them?  

Is it really that hard to keep your coat on and adjust the car's interior temperature accordingly?

On cold days (-20 last winter) I drove with a hoodie on under my Carhartt coat, and kept my gloves in my pockets.

Maybe this deserves a thread of it's own? "Bugging out when you can't get to your bug-out bag."

That's real retarded sir. Might as well get rid of heat and air conditioning in your house too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Search everybody with a gun because it might lead to a felon with a firearm arrest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Argue every opinion with a straw man because it might lead to a rational thought.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Argue every opinion with a straw man because it might lead to a rational thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the same concept.  This man apparently was not committing any crime in the state of VT, yet you justify the search as saying well what if he was committing a crime? We don't know until we check.  Sure it turns out he wasn't, but we didn't know until we checked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's the same concept.  This man apparently was not committing any crime in the state of VT, yet you justify the search as saying well what if he was committing a crime? We don't know until we check.  Sure it turns out he wasn't, but we didn't know until we checked.
View Quote

Obstructed license plate is not a VC violation in Vermont?  It's legal to possess & smoke MJ in Vermont - for all individuals, no medical MJ card requirements or similar?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Those pensions aren't going to pay for themselves.
View Quote

Some days we are really on the same sheet of music.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"Don't Tread on Me" ...... unless you suspect I might have drugs, in which case tread away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, but when you take the social safety network away from supporting people who use drugs and force them to become useful members of society the I will agree with you.    Don't give the LEO, PC (smell of pot) for a search and be on your way.    Stoner had a pipe and if it had pot residue in it, it was a good stop.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#22]
total scumbag
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sorry, but when you take the social safety network away from supporting people who use drugs and force them to become useful members of society the I will agree with you.    Don't give the LEO, PC (smell of pot) for a search and be on your way.    Stoner had a pipe and if it had pot residue in it, it was a good stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.) The officer didn't see the pipe during the stop.  It turned up after the car was towed.
2.) Apparently the pipe didn't turn up residue since presumably he would have been charged.
3.) Officer claimed that his canine "smelled something", even though said canine was in his cruiser with the windows rolled up.  That's a damn good dog.

If we're going to have a country that values individual liberty, that means it will have to value individual liberty even for unpopular members of society (i.e. "stoners").  A country that values liberty for the popular isn't a country that values liberty at all.

I have a beef with the social safety network as well, but the solution is to fix that, not tread on the liberty of people you don't happen to like.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Obstructed license plate is not a VC violation in Vermont?  It's legal to possess & smoke MJ in Vermont - for all individuals, no medical MJ card requirements or similar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP's post states possession of certain amounts was decriminalized in 2013.  The law actually changes anything under an ounce to a civil charge with a fine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:It's the same concept.  This man apparently was not committing any crime in the state of VT, yet you justify the search as saying well what if he was committing a crime? We don't know until we check.  Sure it turns out he wasn't, but we didn't know until we checked.
View Quote

It's not the same concept.

Riddle me this: If possession of marijuana is not a crime in VT, then how did he get a search warrant to search for something that is not a crime?

Remember, we're not talking about some random cop doing a search on some random hunch. He had a search warrant signed by a judge based on evidence of a crime.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, I read the article.

The paraphernalia wasn't found until after the vehicle was towed & searched.

The PC was his previous arrest, visine, an air freshener, and the officer's non-drug sniffing dag.

The lawsuit also claims the dag never left the officer's vehicle (that should be easy to prove or disprove with the dashcam).

So I guess the question is, does the visine, air freshener, untrained dog, and previous arrest, constitute Probable Cause?

What say you ARFcops? is that enough for a search warrant
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#27]
"The lawsuit alleges"

Lol

Gr
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Riddle me this: If possession of marijuana is not a crime in VT, then how did he get a search warrant to search for something that is not a crime?

Remember, we're not talking about some random cop doing a search on some random hunch. He had a search warrant signed by a judge based on evidence of a crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:It's the same concept.  This man apparently was not committing any crime in the state of VT, yet you justify the search as saying well what if he was committing a crime? We don't know until we check.  Sure it turns out he wasn't, but we didn't know until we checked.

That would be speculation.  I'd have to speculate on a lot of things, including the honestly of the officer in question and his eagerness and how determined he was to get that warrant. What's not speculation is that the amount of marijuana found was nowhere near a criminal act.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Also, on top of being left stranded, the guy had to puke up 150 bucks for the tow fee.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OK, I read the article.

The PC was his previous arrest, visine, an air freshener, and the officer's non-drug sniffing dag.

The lawsuit also claims the dag never left the officer's vehicle (that should be easy to prove or disprove with the dashcam).

So I guess the question is, does the visine, air freshener, untrained dog, and previous arrest, constitute Probable Cause?

View Quote

Does having to take a piss mean you've been drinking?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK, I read the article.

View Quote

Didn't the cop say that he himself smelled MJ? If so, that's PC.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OK, I read the article.

View Quote

Visine and air freshener were found after the warrant was issued and the car searched, no?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#33]
So it's now policy that the police can tow a car for no reason other than to stash  it in hope of a warrant?

If the cop had enough reason to have the car towed he had enough reason to search it then and there.

If that's not legally the principle it damn well ought to be.

Now it's "You can beat the rap but you can't beat the walk".

ETA:

The point is that the standard required to justify impounding a car ought to be higher than that needed to search a car.

Asset forfeiture mentality at work I think.

Thank you, Ronnie.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

OP's post states possession of certain amounts was decriminalized in 2013.  The law actually changes anything under an ounce to a civil charge with a fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So possession isn't legal, it's simply a non-bookable civil offense?  Sounds like odor of MJ is still PC.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So it's now policy that the police can tow a car for no reason other than to stash  it in hope of a warrant?

If the cop had enough reason to have the car towed he had enough reason to search it then and there.

Now it's "You can beat the rap but you can't beat the walk".

View Quote

I assumed from the officer's actions that state law requires a warrant for a search of an automobile.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That would be speculation.  I'd have to speculate on a lot of things, including the honestly of the officer in question and his eagerness and how determined he was to get that warrant. What's not speculation is that the amount of marijuana found was nowhere near a criminal act.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does the result have to do with the justification for the warrant?

I've already said this twice in this thread. Our society does not judge the actions or justification for something based on hindsight or results. We judge based on the information the people involved had at the time of the incident.

If the search and warrant would be justified if the cops had found millions of dollars in drugs in the trunk, then the search and warrant is also justified if they find nothing.

So, I ask again: If possession of marijuana is not a crime in VT, then why would a judge sign a warrant to look for something that is not a crime?

The correct answer to that question, since you've failed to grasp the concepts I've laid out, is this: There is more to the story than we're being told.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OK, I read the article.

View Quote

You left out the odor of marijuana which the cop smelled IIRC.  That's PC for search.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not seeing the problem. How were his rights violated? The only issue im seeing is leaving the guy on the side of the road (allegedly).
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm glad that menace is off the street.  The car that is.

So does this mean instead of getting a warrant they can just seize your car?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, I read the article.

Whoops, I forgot about that.

So all the other stuff is beside the point (even the dag).

So the search still seems good to me.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now? Lol, no, that's been "policy" for decades.

But, just because he can doesn't mean he wants to. I've gotten search warrants when I've had enough evidence to search simply because I didn't want the evidence to be thrown out on some bullshit artist lawyer arguing technicalities.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You left out the odor of marijuana which the cop smelled IIRC.  That's PC for search.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, I read the article.

"Said" he smelled. Prove he really smelled it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I still think it was a dick move to leave the guy on the side of the road w/o his wallet and cell, though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I still think it was a dick move to leave the guy on the side of the road w/o his wallet and cell, though.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But, just because he can doesn't mean he wants to. I've gotten search warrants when I've had enough evidence to search simply because I didn't want the evidence to be thrown out on some bullshit artist lawyer arguing technicalities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it gets thrown out it wasn't a technicality; it was the law. Cops should really brush up on it once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

This ^
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Also did you guys know Vermont has black people?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The cop got a warrant, signed by a judge.  Where is this violation of rights you speak of?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read the whole thing.

They found a grinder and pipe and he'd been pinched once for misdemeanor personal possession of MJ (dismissed) so I'm sure some will ignore the violation of rights.

But if you read the whole thing, morally and legally that cop deserves charges as does the supervisor he seemed to be getting permission from over the phone.

Disgusting.

What was the probable cause for the warrant ? The cops lied to the judge to get the warrant as the story reads
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, I read the article.

Ummm, that is what the warrant is for.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top