Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 9/29/2014 6:37:07 PM EDT
So... (allegedly) cop pulls kid over, says he smells pot and wants to search the car, and has it  towed when the guy says no.

Then later gets a warrant for it.  

The American Civil Liberties Union of Vermont filed the lawsuit on behalf Gregory Zullo, 21, whose car was seized by Vermont State Police after a traffic stop in March that left Zullo by the side of the road in 20-degree weather.

Hatch told Zullo that he should give consent to search the vehicle because Hatch’s police dog “smelled something,” despite the fact the dog was not trained in drug detection and was kept in the trooper’s vehicle with the windows rolled up, the lawsuit alleges.

Again, Zullo refused to waive his rights, and Hatch told Zullo he was seizing his car.

Hatch’s cruiser’s audio and video system recorded a telephone conversation — the complaint doesn’t specify with whom — in which Hatch said, “I can smell weed and he won’t allow me to search, so I’m just going to take it.”

Police left Zullo on the side of the road, 8 miles from home, with his hooded sweatshirt to keep warm. According to the National Weather Service, on March 6 temperatures reached a high of 21 degrees.

Back at the Rutland state police barracks, Hatch received a search warrant based upon his assertion he could smell burnt marijuana in the car, and that the car contained an air freshener and a bottle of Visine eye drops, records state.

The search turned up a pipe and a grinder — used to break up marijuana — but no marijuana, the complaint states.
View Quote

Another quote from the article just in case some aren't reading it:
ACLU of Vermont staff attorney Dan Barrett noted that small amounts of marijuana were decriminalized in 2013 and asserts Hatch had no probable cause to seize Zullo’s car.
View Quote

Article
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
What a crock of shit!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I read the whole thing.

They found a grinder and pipe and he'd been pinched once for misdemeanor personal possession of MJ (dismissed) so I'm sure some will ignore the violation of rights.

But if you read the whole thing, morally and legally that cop deserves charges as does the supervisor he seemed to be getting permission from over the phone.

Disgusting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Yeah, lots of derp in that article.

In California, that'd be plenty of PC to search the vehicle without consent.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Back at the Rutland state police barracks...  
View Quote

I knew it!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They found a grinder and pipe and he'd been pinched once for misdemeanor personal possession of MJ (dismissed) so I'm sure some will ignore the violation of rights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Edited to include that.

Quoted:
Yeah, lots of derp in that article.

In California, that'd be plenty of PC to search the vehicle without consent.  

Is possession of small quantities a crime in CA? (Not familiar with CA laws)
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel safer.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
If the day's high temperature will be 21 degrees and you're in a hoodie you lose the right to bitch about the cold.

I always tell my son "don't dress for the walk to the car, dress for the walk home from the crash."
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the day's high temperature will be 21 degrees and you're in a hoodie you lose the right to bitch about the cold.

I always tell my son "don't dress for the walk to the car, dress for the walk home from the crash."
View Quote

Cop wouldn't let him go back to his car, anyway. I keep a sweater in my trunk, or maybe bring an extra jacket for that reason, but might not have it on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
I keep a lot of warm clothes in my truck.

What makes you think the cop would have let him retrieve them?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, I seriously hope that cop gets it handed to him, and that driver gets paid.....if only because he left the kid on the side of the road after he took his car.  Should have taken him home, etc.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So... (allegedly) cop pulls kid over, says he smells pot and wants to search the car, and has it  towed when the guy says no.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Vermont filed the lawsuit on behalf Gregory Zullo, 21, whose car was seized by Vermont State Police after a traffic stop in March that left Zullo by the side of the road in 20-degree weather.

Hatch told Zullo that he should give consent to search the vehicle because Hatch’s police dog “smelled something,” despite the fact the dog was not trained in drug detection and was kept in the trooper’s vehicle with the windows rolled up, the lawsuit alleges.

Again, Zullo refused to waive his rights, and Hatch told Zullo he was seizing his car.

Hatch’s cruiser’s audio and video system recorded a telephone conversation — the complaint doesn’t specify with whom — in which Hatch said, “I can smell weed and he won’t allow me to search, so I’m just going to take it.”

Police left Zullo on the side of the road, 8 miles from home, with his hooded sweatshirt to keep warm. According to the National Weather Service, on March 6 temperatures reached a high of 21 degrees.

Back at the Rutland state police barracks, Hatch received a search warrant based upon his assertion he could smell burnt marijuana in the car, and that the car contained an air freshener and a bottle of Visine eye drops, records state.

The search turned up a pipe and a grinder — used to break up marijuana — but no marijuana, the complaint states.
View Quote

Article
View Quote

Was the pipe and grinder his.   If so, good search.  If not...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

Whether a search is good or not depends on whether it ends well?  That would mean we wouldn't even need parallel reconstruction.  Just secretly spy and then search illegally but when you find something VOILA!  Good search!

Vermont decriminalized weed.  So it's not even evidence of a crime.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I certainly feel safer
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Those pensions aren't going to pay for themselves.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

So the ends justify the means..... Got it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Fucking bullshit.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Bullshit seizure aside, a hooded sweatshirt is plenty for 21°
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I knew it!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I knew it!!!

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cop didn't allow him to retrieve his wallet and phone from the car prior to towing, acorrding to the complaint, so I'd say it's not a stretch to think the cop was just trying to be the biggest cocksucker he could possibly be.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it really that hard to keep your coat on and adjust the car's interior temperature accordingly?

On cold days (-20 last winter) I drove with a hoodie on under my Carhartt coat, and kept my gloves in my pockets.

Maybe this deserves a thread of it's own? "Bugging out when you can't get to your bug-out bag."
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I knew it!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I knew it!!!

When VSP rolls the dice in Rut-Vegas they always get the car.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Cop didn't allow him to retrieve his wallet and phone from the car prior to towing, acorrding to the complaint, so I'd say it's not a stretch to think the cop was just trying to be the biggest cocksucker he could possibly be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never met one in person who wasn't aiming for the top spot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#24]
kid should thank his stars it was VT and not NM

both seem to like to use pet's as detection

NM takes the search A LOT FARTHER

edited for improper eastern gulag abbreviation
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is it really that hard to keep your coat on and adjust the car's interior temperature accordingly?

On cold days (-20 last winter) I drove with a hoodie on under my Carhartt coat, and kept my gloves in my pockets.

Maybe this deserves a thread of it's own? "Bugging out when you can't get to your bug-out bag."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does it matter how hard it is?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope the state pays out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#27]
That was really stupid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

Sorry, if you don't want to get pinched for violated drug laws .... don't do drugs.    It is still illegal in VT.   If you smoke in your car and you are surprised that someone can smell it, maybe drugs do mess up your brain.

As for leaving the dumbass on the side of the road ... bad move.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#29]
If the cop smelled weed he had PC, assuming weed is illegal there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't take long for me to grab what I need.  Fuck I used to only drive 15 warm shit in the back seat in winter. mins to work.  No need to bundle up . My trucks heater works just fine.  

I'm rural , so I always keep warm clothes in truck.    WOW I  FUCKED THAT UP.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reasons are pretty obvious.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#32]
So the cop saw paraphernalia, and the guy has a drug record, and he claimed he smelled drugs.

How is that not a good search

Cop sounds like a fucking prick for leaving the guy stranded, and not letting him retrieve his wallet/cell though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I'm going more than a couple miles yes it is really that difficult.  Not to mention uncomfortable to have all that material bunched up.  I drive for a living.  One of the first things that happens when the heater warms up is the coat comes off.  Guess I should be driving with gloves, face mask, hat, snow pants, and pack boots on any time the temp drops, eh?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So the cop saw paraphernalia, and the guy has a drug record, and he claimed he smelled drugs.

Cop sounds like a fucking prick for leaving the guy stranded, and not letting him retrieve his wallet/cell though.
View Quote

It is.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sorry, if you don't want to get pinched for violated drug laws .... don't do drugs.    It is still illegal in VT.   If you smoke in your car and you are surprised that someone can smell it, maybe drugs do mess up your brain.

View Quote

I guess you missed the part where they didn't find any drugs.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Know how I know you didn't read the article?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not uncommon to have PC for a search when the evidence is not, in fact, present. PC is not proof.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I read the whole thing.

But if you read the whole thing, morally and legally that cop deserves charges as does the supervisor he seemed to be getting permission from over the phone.

Disgusting.
View Quote

How does one know they didn't plant the grinder and pipe? I'm sorry to say, I don't trust cops anymore
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.

Really? A grinder and pipe are legally for tobacco. One can buy them legally at a store. So driving with a legal piece of metal, glass, or plastic is PC?  

If they say they found no drugs then I assume they found no residue.

A drug record? Do you mean a conviction? Because those are what count. If people can be selectively targeted because of crimes they have not been convicted of then the police have zero legitimacy and should rightly be met with the appropriate level of self-defense by anyone they accost.  

Any asshole with a dog can claim to know what the dog is thinking and say it "smelled something."  And the people that do this are always assholes.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you missed the part where he had a pipe, which is referred to as drug paraphernalia.    Question is did it have pot residual in it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It is not uncommon to have PC for a search when the evidence is not, in fact, present. PC is not proof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the this PC supposed to be cause for?  What crime?  Possession of marijuana is not a crime in Vermont.

Quoted:
I guess you missed the part where he had a pipe, which is referred to as drug paraphernalia.    Question is did it have pot residual in it.

This isn't a question at all, because it doesn't relate to whether he committed a crime.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

Having that Gadsden flag as part of your avatar is ironic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enlighten those of us that operate on a lower intelligence plane.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Visine and an air freshener is RS/PC? Hell, I have both in my work vehicle and personal one.

Hell, I have air freshener that would completely mask the smell of pot if you had just put the joint out. [used for gas odorant scent cover] Is that PC/RS?

[been piss tested on a regular basis since 1982,]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

It was a bullshit stop to begin with. "Snow obstructed the licence plate"? Out of state plates in Rutland... That was this dipshit troops PC for the stop.

Weed is a civil ticket in this state.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Really? A grinder and pipe are legally for tobacco. One can buy them legally at a store. So driving with a legal piece of metal, glass, or plastic is PC?  

A drug record? Do you mean a conviction? Because those are what count. If people can be selectively targeted because of crimes they have not been convicted of then the police have zero legitimacy and should rightly be met with the appropriate level of self-defense by anyone they accost.  

Any asshole with a dog can claim to know what the dog is thinking and say it "smelled something."  And the people that do this are always assholes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.

You're judging the legality of the search based on the results.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#47]
If story is accurate, cop is an ass.  Who puts that much work in for a little weed or suspicion of weed....good lord.  Also, seizing the car means the guy is basically your responsibility.  You just can't leave him out there like that in those conditions.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get out of GD with your logic an' shit.................

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.

Read it again, Genius.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not.

I'll read it and post back shortly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top