Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You get used to it and can ignore it as long as there is some background noise.  A completely quiet room or ear muffs would be torture.  I can hear mine with ear plugs in while running a big tractor if I think about it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Tinnitus is not in your ear. It is in your brain. The "hearing" area in your brain reacts instantly to sounds it hears through your ears, and it anticipates the volume of what you are listening to. Loud noises, brain injuries and old age begin to degrade that area of your brain. Your brain begins making "noise" in response, but you hear the noise in your brain rather than through your ears.

I had an acoustic neuroma, a brain tumor that destroyed my right side hearing. I had my ear removed to get to the tumor. Even though my ear was removed, I still have tinnitus in my right ear. People that have amputations get phantom itching on a limb that does not exist. Same thing with tinnitus. The ringing, chirping crickets is a phantom sound in your brain. There is no cure. The sounds have been traced with brain scans and there is no pattern of where those sounds originate.

Just learn to live with it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top