Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2014 5:00:41 PM EDT
Years of abuse to my ears starting in the Navy and moving into the construction industry has done a number on my ears. Gets worse and worse as the years go on. Sometimes I would rather be deaf than listen to it. Can it be fixed at all?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe there is no cure for tinnitus.  There is medication that can suppress it or even 'white' noise makers that you can use at night when sleeping.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
They were not able to do anything for Mother. But on the other hand she seems to have mostly gotten used to it as she has not mentioned it in a couple years now. If you do find something that works, please pm it here, but we had another one of these threads a week or 2 ago and several people with the condition posted and I do not think that other than always have some sort of background noise around (even when you sleep) anyone had anything that cured it or lessened its effects.

She got hers after a bad flu too. Wasn't even anything noise related like what seems to trigger it in most people... actually it was right around the same time she was diagnosed with her Fibromyalgia and her brother (my uncle) died right around that same time too of cancer. Was not the best time for her in particular.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
WAT???????
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
No, it can not. Sorry
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope.  Mine do it as well.  I've learned to ignore it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably NOT
Sorry
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Consume less salt.

Get a white noise generator for sleeping.

And will someone answer that damn phone!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
"Damn you tinnitus! You are a cruel mistress!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard that they are close to releasing a steroid based Tinnitus cure.. Boy what a godsend that would be!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Not quite.

However there is a therapy that can be used to train your brain to ignore the sound.  My audiologist said that, if succesfull, her patients don't notice the sound 90% of the time, and the 10% they do hear it, it does not annoy them.  It is called tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT).  She said her success rate with getting rid of tinnitus annoyance is about 70%.

The idea is simlple: When is the last time you heard your fridge's motor running?  Probably, you can't remember EVER hearing it.  Why?  Your brain has learned to ignore the sound.  It is possible to train a brain to ignore tinnitus sound also.

It involves wearing sound generators (they look like hearing aides).  You set them to generate white noise at a level just below the level of your tinnitus.  Your brain learns to tune out the sound in your ears ("knowing" it is just meaningless sound from the generators).  You were these for some months to a year or so.  Then, you can take out the sound generators and your brain has already learned to ignore the sound of tinnitus, as it has associated it with the meaningless noise of the generators (assuming it works for you of course).  

I have been wearing the same generators for hypearcusis treatment.  I will use them for tinntius treatment after I finish my hyperacusis treatment.  I can say the devices do make it easy to ignore tinntius when I am wearing them.

Here is a list of audiologists that can do this therapy:

TRT Providers

The therapy does probably cost a lot, I paid $3000.  I also have hyperacusis, which is a lot worse than tinnitus though.  Send me a message if you want more details.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
mawp, mawp, mawp.

Will somebody answer the damn phone already!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#13]
From what the doc told me it is from a type of nerve damage in the cochlea, until you can grow nerves back we are pretty much fucked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had tinnitus for over 30 years, since working in an underground mine, and presently in a large printing plant.  I sleep with a fan on, works for me.

ETA: I developed a horrible roaring in the ears, especially the left one, a couple of years ago.  It came on over the course of two or three days.  I was basically deaf, it was like standing next to a jet engine.  Went to the doc, he called it shingles, put me on prednisone and some anti-viral drug for a week or so.  It finally went away, mostly.  That was truly awful.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there a reason why you didn't do a search?

Fucker.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WAT???????
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#17]
What

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Welcome to my world

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Is deafness the only cure?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]
No.  The ringing is a cumulative indicator of permanent damage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I sleep with a fan on and otherwise have tuned it out pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a sound machine from brookstone.  It has 9 different sounds ranging from thunderstorms to white noise.  I cannot fall asleep without it.  The ringing is deafening, I know what your going through.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I read somewhere that being one a regular aspirin prescription increases tinnitus.  After being switched from Warfarin and an aspirin to only Eliquis, I can say that my tinnitus has shown a decrease in intensity.  Now instead of EEEEEEEE, it's just eeeeeeee and the almost a "pressure in my ears" feeling has gone away as well.

If modern medicine does come up with a cure for tinnitus I will more than willingly do my share to make the inventors of that cure into wealthy people.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I wish
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#24]
QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE??????????????

i have it most of the time is ok but from time to time
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

No.  Deaf can hear the ringing if they have tinnitus, because it is caused by things other than actual sound.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Kill the auditory nerve(s)?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Don't know about that.  Maybe someone who does will chime in.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a treatment for tinnitus now, with active hearing aids.  Ask an audiologist about them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  Aparrently what causes it is that the hairs in the inner ear are damaged and they don't transmit anymore, and therefore the brain is actively searching for the signals.  As the brain works overtime and moves the task to other areas of the brain, it is artificially creating the ringing tone.  So it is a lack of audio feedback causing the brain to artificially create it.  Killing the auditory nerves would probably make it worse or have no effect..

All my shitty layman's explanation.

But apparently the active hearing aids generate white noise and tones to fill in the info missing due to hearing damage, and keeps the brain from generating the tinnitus ringing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#31]
White noise and fans at night. I wear ear pods and listen to music at work when I can.

The VA was kind enough to give me some decent hearing aids since I can't hear shit anymore without them. Doesn't help with the tinnitus but it does drown it out so I can hear people, for the most part. I'm told I will be pretty much stone deaf in the next 10 or 15 years. Thank you OTPI pre-flight antenna changes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#32]
nope

sux
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE??????????????

i have it most of the time is ok but from time to time
View Quote

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOP you are coming in broken and EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEunreadableEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEbut the answer is noEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#35]
No cure, multiple doctors have said deal with it as there is no cure. The nerves are fucked.
background noise, I have to have something other than my ears ringing or it will make me fucking lose my mind
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#36]
No, have had mine since about 1969, you will get used to it after a decade or so.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Had it since I was 7 or so. Still going strong. I just wish I could bottle 30 years of ringing noise and sell it or generate power with it or something. Seems like such a waste.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No.  Aparrently what causes it is that the hairs in the inner ear are damaged and they don't transmit anymore, and therefore the brain is actively searching for the signals.  As the brain works overtime and moves the task to other areas of the brain, it is artificially creating the ringing tone.  So it is a lack of audio feedback causing the brain to artificially create it.  Killing the auditory nerves would probably make it worse or have no effect..

But apparently the active hearing aids generate white noise and tones to fill in the info missing due to hearing damage, and keeps the brain from generating the tinnitus ringing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Damnit I can hear it again. I need to stop clicking these threads.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I had it pop up after this fender bender..somedays its louder then others..cant figure out how it is sound related in my case..figure its from the brain bouncing around in my skull.......
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nope.  Mine do it as well.  I've learned to ignore it.
View Quote

This, and.....

Take care of your ears arfcom

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#42]
You get used to it.  I have it pretty bad, according to my doc.  It used to really bother me, but I've learned to ignore it, unless something triggers it.  Certain frequencies and tones seem to trigger it badly for a day or so, and it might briefly keep me from sleeping.  Those nights I just turn a fan on or open the window and let the crickets drown it out.  

Protect your hearing, and keep it from getting any worse.  I found out recently that all my life I haven't been putting earplugs in correctly, and that if I get them just a touch deeper that work 100% better.  Wish I'd known that 15 years ago.

A pilot friend of mine, TWA captain back in the day, woke up one morning with terrible ringing in his right ear.  Figured out quickly that he'd gone deaf in that ear, doctor told him ear infection or a brief illness had caused it, I can't remember.  Anyway, point is that he was deaf in his right ear, and it rang constantly, to a degree where it impaired the use of his other ear for a while.  Nearly drove him mad, insomnia, depression, possibly suicidal.  Had to retire early, since he lost his first class medical.  (That wasn't what caused the depression, he was ready to be out of TWA and quickly got on flying corporate)
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No.  Deaf can hear the ringing if they have tinnitus, because it is caused by things other than actual sound.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy fuck, the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE without being able to here something to drown it out FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I had it pop up after this fender bender..somedays its louder then others..cant figure out how it is sound related in my case..figure its from the brain bouncing around in my skull.......
<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/denali/1619794710518089523_zps8ea7fdb7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/denali/1619794710518089523_zps8ea7fdb7.jpg</a>
View Quote

Is there a story to go with that?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No.  The ringing is a cumulative indicator of permanent damage.
View Quote

Mine started after a bad ear infection.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/denali/1619794710518089523_zps8ea7fdb7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/denali/1619794710518089523_zps8ea7fdb7.jpg</a>

yep! Looks like he hit something.

and OP... maybe try removing your ear cilia?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Got muzzled blasted in both ears in the same week by my awesome duck hunting partners.

Mix that in with running equipment way too often and listening to diesel engines wind out in the trucks and I always hear crickets.

No way to stop it, I think caffeine makes it worse though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yupper.

My right ear is 100% dead , it hears nothing at all . . . . . except the fuggin tinnitus

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#50]
My left is almost there.  I've learned to live with it and it doesnt bother me much anymore.  

On the plus side, if the girl is up watching tv, I can roll over onto my good ear and tune out just about anything in the room

That counts for something, right?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top