Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shore power doesn't mean the grid. You can run temporary power.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't think anyone said to power the grid.

That has been the entire point of the last four pages of discussion.

The first response in this thread was:
"I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters."

Considering the title of this thread is "Navy Lights Off Zumwalt Generators" "they" can only mean the shipboard generators of the USS Zumwalt.

Do try to keep up.

Shore power does indeed mean the grid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There is no migration to lesser calibres as Mr.(?) Nick claimed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no migration to 155 in the US or world wide; 105mm and 122mm are probably closer to a universal caliber than 152-155

If you are american then i am Obama.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some units did move from 175mm and 8" to 155; while some traded those for MFOM systems
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no migration to 155 in the US or world wide; 105mm and 122mm are probably closer to a universal caliber than 152-155

Some units did move from 175mm and 8" to 155; while some traded those for MFOM systems

As I have already acknowledged.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice to correspond with you Mr. President.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters."

Considering the title of this thread is "Navy Lights Off Zumwalt Generators" "they" can only mean the shipboard generators of the USS Zumwalt.

Do try to keep up.

Really?
Temporary power.

Try to keep up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do try to keep up.

Really?
Temporary power.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/Picture1_zps905f2671.jpg

Try to keep up.

Yes. That is temporary power. That is not shore power. I am sure you, and others, are going to try to be clever and to try to create very creative definitions in order to "prove" me wrong.

That is sad.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes. That is temporary power. That is not shore power. I am sure you, and others, are going to try to be clever and to try to create very creative definitions in order to "prove" me wrong.

That is sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do try to keep up.

Really?
Temporary power.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/Picture1_zps905f2671.jpg

Try to keep up.

That is sad.

Did he say we plugged the ship up to the transformer outside and provided power to new orleans? Use common sense.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not nuke powered?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did he say we plugged the ship up to the transformer outside and provided power to new orleans? Use common sense.
View Quote

Use reading comprehension. The discussion was whether or not the ship's generators could supply electricity to the grid for disaster relief, as was done in 1947 as stated in the link Mr.(?)H60Hdrvr provided.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Use reading comprehension. The discussion was whether or not the ship's generators could supply electricity to the grid for disaster relief, as was done in 1947 as stated in the link Mr.(?)H60Hdrvr provided.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I posted a ship that could have and did according to Storm6436.
No one said it had to plug into the existing grid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting.  The T-AKEs are IPS.  Diesel electric vice GT-electric, though.  I wonder what voltage the main bus will run.  We use 6.6kV and have various step-down load centers scattered about for 480V.

Shore power from a ship to shore takes a lot of infrastructure to support.  Even if I had the cables on hand, I would need a way to tie into the grid and transformers to adapt the voltage.  My shore power breakers will only allow incoming power, so they would need to be modified.  Then, even though I produce 6.6kV, my shore power ties in to the 480V bus.

I'm not a lineman, but I thought most shore-grids were set up for 7.2kV or 14.4kV.  Someone will be along shortly to correct me on that, I'm sure.
View Quote

Measured at my 120V wall outlet, a 7.2 KV distribution line fed with 6.6 KV still gives me 110 volts - which I'd gladly take during an extended power outage.

Naturally, if you're the only power source connected to the distribution grid you're powering, synchronization isn't an issue...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have done just as I expected. You have changed the definition in order to be right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You have done just as I expected. You have changed the definition in order to be right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they didn't provide shore power?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Almost any casual observer of this thread is going to read "provide power to the shore for disaster relief" as tying into the grid to provide supplementary power.

I get you feel you're annoying an annoyance, but this point you're trying to make is exceptionally tedious and is putting the final bullets in the head of this already wounded thread.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The provided power ashore. They did not provide shore power.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Almost any casual observer of this thread is going to read "provide power to the shore for disaster relief" as tying into the grid to provide supplementary power.

I get you feel you're annoying an annoyance, but this point you're trying to make is exceptionally tedious and is putting the final bullets in the head of this already wounded thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its been dead since he got here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see you celebrate your ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. that was exactly what i found funny. Troll
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters.
View Quote

Sure it can.  Electricity can flow both ways.  That was actually a mission area for LHAs, but any warship has power generating capability in excess of what it needs for it's own hotel services.  Some more than others.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Guys, I found a picture of Shoe-guy!

See he is Amerikansi...he has a Mount Rushmore tank top to accent his Neo-Sov track suits!  

Logball is superior calibre to Americanski football...no weak pads needed.  Superior Neo-Sov Genetic engineering makes for tough foreheads impervious to NATO standard rifle calibres!

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/warpusher/3papICr.gif

See he is Amerikansi...he has a Mount Rushmore tank top to accent his Neo-Sov track suits!  

Logball is superior calibre to Americanski football...no weak pads needed.  Superior Neo-Sov Genetic engineering makes for tough foreheads impervious to NATO standard rifle calibres!

View Quote

Da, comrade. Is of obvious superiority.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/warpusher/3papICr.gif

View Quote

It's log. It's log. It's big. It's heavy. It's wood.

It's log. It's log. It's better than bad, it's good!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I could have sworn one of the USN guys on here talked about doing it, but maybe he was talking theory as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And already been done with the nukes on aircraft carriers. As long as you can go ashore and verify the integrity of whatever circuits you're going to power, the only real limit is the output of the ship.

its a theoretical ability, but I don't think its ever been done.

I could have sworn one of the USN guys on here talked about doing it, but maybe he was talking theory as well.

Well the Navy did use the USS Lexington to power Tacoma Washington in 1929.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#26]
OK... cool...

I see the advantages... power of advanced weapons... potentially multiple routes for the electricity to get to vital systems and thus greater resistance to damage...

but...

All that power... running through cables... on a metal ship... that could take a missile hit... which severs a cable and turns the metal the crew is standing on... or holding on to... into a live wire...

I do not know how you guard against electrocuting your crew in the face of large scale damage.  Normal operations... sure.  Plenty of safety measures for dealing with electricity.  The problem is when that stuff gets blown up and everything around you is conductive...

I would hope they are taking such concerns into account.  What happens when a missile blows up, cutting the wires and electrifying the deck isn't something your usual power plant needs to worry about... but a warship... that concern is real.

I am not an EE. I have not read the rest of the thread. I do not know if the above concern is addressed.  For all I know... my concern could be unfounded and the craft would act like a Faraday cage... or the electricity would take the most direct route to the ocean and not cause a problem... I don't know.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Are you saying USS Iwo Jima broke federal laws by dumping sewage in the water?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One problem with your line of "logic",  reality.   When I was on the Iwo Jima in New Orleans for the relief efforts, we were moored downtown.   Place was a mess.  We did everything you say should not or cannot be done.

Are you saying USS Iwo Jima broke federal laws by dumping sewage in the water?

You might be aware of this amazing invention called a barge.  With these amazing inventions you can do this thing called "pump the holding tanks into the barge" and then it can be hauled off to be dumped at sea or to a location where it can be pumped out.

ETA:  4+ years, and a couple of deployments on a Nimitz Class.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess this needs to be quoted......

Quoted:

Pre-WWII aircraft carriers USS Lexington and USS Saratoga were propelled with electric motors.

The USS Lexington provide shore power to Tacoma, WA in 1929-30.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=5113

I understand the risks of feeding power into a damaged grid, but your lack of historical knowledge still makes me sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters.

Just what one wants to do in a natural disaster, put power into the grid. Your lack of critical thinking ability makes me sad.

Pre-WWII aircraft carriers USS Lexington and USS Saratoga were propelled with electric motors.

The USS Lexington provide shore power to Tacoma, WA in 1929-30.

The Lexington’s boilers supplied a quarter of Tacoma’s power for about 30 days, leaving on January 17, 1930.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=5113

I understand the risks of feeding power into a damaged grid, but your lack of historical knowledge still makes me sad.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip

Quoted:
Its
been done.  But power is limited to military bases only.  Power
companies got a law passed that said military can not power anything but
there bases.  I know its been done in Norfolk several times after ice storms.

Falls under the reason the first civilian nuclear
reactor power plant at Shipping port was built by navy, but not run by
the navy.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So we're ten years or so away from blinding everybody on a "cruise boat" celebrating a wedding that for some reason had pintle mounted DshKs?
View Quote

Nope.  There is a laser AAW system currently deployed on some ships.  The Zumwalt is also slated to receive the rail guns once the power density problem is resolved.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nope.  There is a laser AAW system currently deployed on some ships.  The Zumwalt is also slated to receive the rail guns once the power density problem is resolved.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we're ten years or so away from blinding everybody on a "cruise boat" celebrating a wedding that for some reason had pintle mounted DshKs?

No, there is a prototype on one ship
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Zhukov, I love you-no homo (well maybe just a little )

Nick
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The way I see it it is not the power being generated to move the ship but to use some of the massive power in weapon systems. That is your payback.
View Quote

That was my understanding of it too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Dammit, I post a little homo and BigPony shows up right on cue.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Voltage would be one issue, synchronizing it would be the other.  That with gas turbine prime mover would not be impossible but would also not be organic.
View Quote

I figure they will drive AC generators, rectify that, then drive VFDs off the DC bus.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Measured at my 120V wall outlet, a 7.2 KV distribution line fed with 6.6 KV still gives me 110 volts - which I'd gladly take during an extended power outage.

Naturally, if you're the only power source connected to the distribution grid you're powering, synchronization isn't an issue...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.  The T-AKEs are IPS.  Diesel electric vice GT-electric, though.  I wonder what voltage the main bus will run.  We use 6.6kV and have various step-down load centers scattered about for 480V.

Shore power from a ship to shore takes a lot of infrastructure to support.  Even if I had the cables on hand, I would need a way to tie into the grid and transformers to adapt the voltage.  My shore power breakers will only allow incoming power, so they would need to be modified.  Then, even though I produce 6.6kV, my shore power ties in to the 480V bus.

I'm not a lineman, but I thought most shore-grids were set up for 7.2kV or 14.4kV.  Someone will be along shortly to correct me on that, I'm sure.

Most local distribution systems also have auto-transformers along the lines to keep the power within 10% (IIRC) of the rated voltage. They are designed to buck or boost depending on line conditions. I would think in a situation such as we're talking about they would probably max out on boost and bring the voltage up a little more by the time it got to you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Diesel electric subs prior to WWII  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ill be interested to see how far this goes.

Its not a new idea, obviously diesel locomotives do the same thing, but on a ship?

Is this the first ship to use electric drive?

How much do they anticipate in saving on maintenance?
Diesel electric subs prior to WWII  

Also the USS Tulibee ....SSN 597

the ONLY nuke sub to have an electric main motor.  

it was called Building 597 in Groton.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The possibilities are endless, if you are ignorant of ship operations. Where does the ship discharge sewage? It is illegal to discharge in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide sewage services? What about clean water for the ship? It is inadvisable to for the ship's water generation systems to make water in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide clean water for the ship's crew? How about security requirements as the ship is close to many desperate people? How many lights for tent cities run on Zumwalt's 4,160 volt power? If there was a disaster is there even a clear channel for the ship to navigate in?

Lack of criticial thinking ability is an epidemic on this site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just what one wants to do in a natural disaster, put power into the grid. Your lack of critical thinking ability makes me sad.
And your posting makes the rest if us laugh. Who said anything about a grid? You could power a tent city refugee center/command post/staging area.  

THe possibilities are endless.

The possibilities are endless, if you are ignorant of ship operations. Where does the ship discharge sewage? It is illegal to discharge in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide sewage services? What about clean water for the ship? It is inadvisable to for the ship's water generation systems to make water in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide clean water for the ship's crew? How about security requirements as the ship is close to many desperate people? How many lights for tent cities run on Zumwalt's 4,160 volt power? If there was a disaster is there even a clear channel for the ship to navigate in?

Why? It has been done in the past.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your posting makes the rest if us laugh. Who said anything about a grid? You could power a tent city refugee center/command post/staging area.  

THe possibilities are endless.

USS Lexington  (CV-2) was used to do that in Washington State in the late 20`s or early 30`s IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
He appears to have better technical information than most of the folks who disagree with him...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see that here, but my opinion of him is colored from his many other threads. Plus I really do think he is trolling for information.    

He appears to have better technical information than most of the folks who disagree with him...

Sorry late to the party.  He has at least as much technical data as wikipedia.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It has only been a discussion because YOU made it one.

1) Someone asked a HYPOTHETICAL question.
2) You proceeded to berate the person who asked the question.
3) Things went downhill from there.

Don't expect courtesy when you don't have the decency to do so first. You could have simply answered the first respondent's HYPOTHETICAL (I would like to point that out again) with a simple "It's unlikely that a ship such as this would do so and there are no occasions that come to mind where it did). Then people start point out isolated incidents where something like that may have happened and you devolve into semantics.

I'm not going to accuse you of "trolling" or somesuch nonsense, because people should be smart enough to just ignore someone like you who's in it only for the sake of arguing. If you want to participate in discussions and contribute, fine. If other people can't stay within the CoC when they disagree with your then that's their problem. If you are here, however, only to create problems: I can guarantee you that you won't be here for long.

View Quote

Perhaps, Mr.(?) Zhukov you are correct. In my passion to get people to reseach information and apply it logically, my approach may have been abrasive. For that I apologize. I will strive to separate the idea from the person.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why not nuke powered?
View Quote

$$$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#48]

WTF IS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?

Did anyone notice the power is for the rail gun and laser devolpment?

Why don't you purse swing about that for six pages ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#49]
In my little corner of the maritime world "shore power" is the stuff that powers the vessel  when you shut down your generators and plug in to the grid.  RECEIVING power from the grid,  not supplying it to the grid.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Container-Ships-to-Plug-In-at-Oakland-Port-to-Reduce-Pollution-231229541.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ill be interested to see how far this goes.

Its not a new idea, obviously diesel locomotives do the same thing, but on a ship?

Is this the first ship to use electric drive?

How much do they anticipate in saving on maintenance?
View Quote

The R/V Revelle is diesel electric, and I assume her sister ships in the AGOR fleet are as well. The generators power a pair of electric Z drives, and a third bow thruster. Big GE motor drives, IIRC there are 2 per motor, when both are online they synchronize with each other. When they fail to synchronize bad things happen.

The Chief Engineer said GE stood for "Good Enough"

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top