Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is no "contract" for military "pensions."  No union, no guarantees.  This year alone a shitload of people got sent packing with no vest squat because Congress decided the military isn't needed so much these days.  I guess they don't watch the news.  Alas, we live by the reality of supply and demand - a reality many public employee unions have no concept of.

Just, fortunately, we have enough of an electorate that there is outrage when people who do manage to reach "retirement" get too fucked.

Still, you have to be a retiring general officer to see anywhere close to 100K a year.  Most military retirement is less (often far less) than 40K a year, with the most senior officers with 30+ years getting around 80K.  And, as has to be reminded to people in these thread, that's legally retainer pay for officers, though they drop you off the rolls at a certain age and you should be in the clear.

There's no padding, no manipulating, no opaque drug deals where the public thinks we get "x" but we are actually getting "X times Y."  

Very, very few municipal governments are as transparent with their pay as the military.

These kinds of threads aren't needed, because there are no surprises.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They need to be compensated the way the contract they signed is written.

That only works in military pension threads.

I suspect you are correct, I personally try to keep my hypocrisy to a minimum.

There is no "contract" for military "pensions."  No union, no guarantees.  This year alone a shitload of people got sent packing with no vest squat because Congress decided the military isn't needed so much these days.  I guess they don't watch the news.  Alas, we live by the reality of supply and demand - a reality many public employee unions have no concept of.

Just, fortunately, we have enough of an electorate that there is outrage when people who do manage to reach "retirement" get too fucked.

Still, you have to be a retiring general officer to see anywhere close to 100K a year.  Most military retirement is less (often far less) than 40K a year, with the most senior officers with 30+ years getting around 80K.  And, as has to be reminded to people in these thread, that's legally retainer pay for officers, though they drop you off the rolls at a certain age and you should be in the clear.

There's no padding, no manipulating, no opaque drug deals where the public thinks we get "x" but we are actually getting "X times Y."  

Very, very few municipal governments are as transparent with their pay as the military.

80K?  Most retire around the 22-24 year mark and very few get anywhere near 80K
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect you are correct, I personally try to keep my hypocrisy to a minimum.

"with the most senior officers with 30+ years getting around 80K"

The most senior guys aren't retiring at the 22-24 year mark.  They are getting out as O-6 or higher with 30 years.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The most senior guys aren't retiring at the 22-24 year mark.  They are getting out as O-6 or higher with 30 years.
View Quote

You are talking like less than 1 percent of retirees, which in itself is around 17 percent of the force.  

The average retirement ranks are 05  and E7
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are talking like less than 1 percent of retirees, which in itself is around 17 percent of the force.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never said otherwise.

In fact, I said

"Most military retirement is less (often far less) than 40K a year,"
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Never said otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never said otherwise.

True enough, the average retainer pay for a service member pails compared to the figures cited in the original story.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Highest paid ny .gov employee, the Govenor? A judge? Maybe a state employed doctor?

Nope warden of the Suffolk county jail- $414k a year

Even cops in the buffalo suburbs are knocking down near six figure salaries

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/lackawanna-cop-has-top-municipal-pay-20140724

Skip to the bottom and there is a list of buffalo fire and police making over $ 150k

View Quote

Then they should start hiring people instead of paying out lucrative OT............Those cops and Fireman making that much money are working 85-90 hours a week
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Our guys on the island make over $170k with OT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's one of the counties on Long Island she's going to make a lot more than $80k if she likes OT.

I believe it is Westchester County.

$80k sounds about right from what I see online about their salary.

They have retarded amounts of OT.  $100k without even trying.

Our guys on the island make over $170k with OT.

Guy up here made over $240 last year with a much lower base than Nassau or Suffolk.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guy up here made over $240 last year with a much lower base than Nassau or Suffolk.
View Quote

Now that's some OT.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Now that's some OT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's some OT.

It's uncommon but you can do it if you really want to.

As a matter of fact, at my old job we had a guy make 215 or 220 in his last year when base was only $64k.  You really need to bust your ass for that kind of OT up here.  I'd take a job out on the island any day.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As a matter of fact, at my old job we had a guy make 215 or 220 in his last year when base was only $64k.  You really need to bust your ass for that kind of OT up here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's some OT.

As a matter of fact, at my old job we had a guy make 215 or 220 in his last year when base was only $64k.  You really need to bust your ass for that kind of OT up here.

Like the PAPD cop who broke $300k.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's some OT.

There were some MTA guys that were killing it too a couple years back.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Raise your flipper if you have a traditional pension (pension, not 401K) and don't work for the government
View Quote

I did and retired three years ago. Our system was a triad, retirement pay, Social security, and your 401k. Typically retirement pay was between $20 to 30k depending on your highest 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't read all 7 pages, but why don't government employees have a 401k or some other retirement plan which is funded directly by the employee and employer?  

Gov't pensions seem unsustainable even to an economic halfwit like me.  I suppose sustainability and government don't usually jive. The nearest city to me is Scranton PA where a commuter tax was recently imposed due directly to the unsustainable police and fire pensions. Apparently, the city is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I didn't read all 7 pages, but why don't government employees have a 401k or some other retirement plan which is funded directly by the employee and employer?  

Gov't pensions seem unsustainable even to an economic halfwit like me.  I suppose sustainability and government don't usually jive. The nearest city to me is Scranton PA where a commuter tax was recently imposed due directly to the unsustainable police and fire pensions. Apparently, the city is on the verge of bankruptcy.

View Quote
Fed civilians and now mil members have TSP.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good luck with that.  That is partially the only reason the government has employees.  force it to compete dollar for dollar with the free market and watch.  Hell its hard enough for most open positions to find candidates now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Civilian government employees should not receive pensions.
They should pay into SS and save for retirement.

Good luck with that.  That is partially the only reason the government has employees.  force it to compete dollar for dollar with the free market and watch.  Hell its hard enough for most open positions to find candidates now.

Most government employees are unemployable at much above subsistence wages in the private sector,  there would be no problem filling the government jobs without a pension.
If it did reduce the number of government employees, that would be a good thing too.
We can't afford government pensions, they need to go.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Military retainer pay is often incorrectly referred to as retirement pay; those in receipt have been recalled to duty to include cases of return to duty for punishment for transgressions
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*snort*

Military retainer pay is often incorrectly referred to as retirement pay; those in receipt have been recalled to duty to include cases of return to duty for punishment for transgressions

Create a thread on military  pensions... let me know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I pay into SS, pension, and 401k with my county gov job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, all civilian government employees should.
There should be no contribution matching by the taxpayers.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

'Define civilian'.

Or do you consider military outside of your argument?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Define civilian'.

Or do you consider military outside of your argument?

Since when is military considered civilian?
Civilian is all non military.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Most government employees are unemployable at much above subsistence wages in the private sector, there would be no problem filling the government jobs without a pension.
View Quote

At the same salary? Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My private sector job contributes to my retirement, why shouldn't the public?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most government employees are unemployable at much above subsistence wages in the private sector, there would be no problem filling the government jobs without a pension.

People would take it as a stepping stone, then bail ASAP.

The ones left, are the ones that you don't want around.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What do you think a pension is, a free thing they get just for being a public employee. The vast majority of government pension plans require the employee to contribute a percent of their gross pay (usually between 5%-8%) into the plan. I'd call that saving for retirement.Also, most DO pay into Social Security.

The problem with Arfcom GD discussions on government wages or retirement (and why it cannot be a rational discussion) is there is just a shit ton of envy coming from the legions of widget manufacturing laborers who thought their high school GED was sufficient education.

"That government employee with a law degree is earning $120k/yr while me with my high school GED and truck driver's license only earns $45k/yr! "Soooo unfair, those government employees shouldn't earn more than the people paying their salaries!!! Waahhhhh."

Grow up people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think a pension is, a free thing they get just for being a public employee. The vast majority of government pension plans require the employee to contribute a percent of their gross pay (usually between 5%-8%) into the plan. I'd call that saving for retirement.Also, most DO pay into Social Security.

The problem with Arfcom GD discussions on government wages or retirement (and why it cannot be a rational discussion) is there is just a shit ton of envy coming from the legions of widget manufacturing laborers who thought their high school GED was sufficient education.

"That government employee with a law degree is earning $120k/yr while me with my high school GED and truck driver's license only earns $45k/yr! "Soooo unfair, those government employees shouldn't earn more than the people paying their salaries!!! Waahhhhh."

Grow up people.

5-8% is a very small contribution.
It should be 100%.
The primary  problems with government employees are that the majority of  their jobs should not exist in the first place,  there are far too many of them, their productivity and competence is poor, and they are overcompensated.
If they had more self respect they might become productive citizens.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd love to see the recruitment ads the department would try and come up with if that was the case. Just a drop in starting pay without any changes to pension and benefits several years back caused the applicant pool to dry up almost immediately. The department was forced to raise the starting pay back to where it was because they couldn't find people willing to take the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to see the recruitment ads the department would try and come up with if that was the case. Just a drop in starting pay without any changes to pension and benefits several years back caused the applicant pool to dry up almost immediately. The department was forced to raise the starting pay back to where it was because they couldn't find people willing to take the job.

Good, saves the taxpayers money.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, I need new guys to keep paying in so I can keep getting paid. Luckily the residents agree and keep crying for more cops to be hired.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Not sure if I'm really going to be ready to retire at 41....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private sector chooses to contribute.
All money that is "contributed" to government employees is confiscated from the producers at the point of a gun.
Since the public sector is larger than the productive sector, they vote themselves inordinately high salaries and overly generous benefits.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nah, I need new guys to keep paying in so I can keep getting paid. Luckily the residents agree and keep crying for more cops to be hired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad New Yorkers got stuck paying your pension, you are entertaining.
New Yorkers owe Floridians at least some entertainment for what they have done to South Florida.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Blah blah fucking blah. Here we go again bagging on the firemen and cops because we have a pension. How many times had this been hashed out this year?

The most I can make when I max at 32 years is 74% of a first class private. No overtime, no top three years etc.

Everyone always wants to bitch and complain about police and fire pensions and try to rob from them for this and that. Well fuck you and them. Unless you have been shot at by some scumbag or had to crawl down the hall of a boarded up vacant blowing fire over your head looking for the heroin junkie that started a fire to keep warm in sub zero temps fuck you(.mil excluded and thank you for your service)

If you thought it was better in the private sector or were too much of a chicken shit to take the test then I guess you should just say thank you and continue to support your local police and firemen.

I busted my ass to get on the fire dept. I didnt have family on and I am not a minority or a woman so I was behind the 8ball to start. I studied, worked out etc to be the best and was #1 for a reason. I did all of this knowing that my life would be shorter than the average joe on the street. I did it knowing that cancer is MANY times the normal person, that divorce rates are in the high 70's, that I would miss vacations, holidays, kids games and plays etc.

They take applications every 2 years around here. All there is to do is sign up, do better than several thousand other people in the process and give up everything I listed before.

I do it willingly without thought or reservation. I will lay down my life for yours and you want to complain about my pension.

i direct this at no one in particular and am sorry if I offended anyone. I am just venting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's unsafe and bad management.  We wouldn't let truck drivers work those kind of hours, why do we let folks with the power of life and death strapped to their hips work those kinds of hours?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's unsafe and bad management.  We wouldn't let truck drivers work those kind of hours, why do we let folks with the power of life and death strapped to their hips work those kinds of hours?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PAPD has a top step base of $90k and had a guy break $300k.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Most government employees are unemployable at much above subsistence wages in the private sector,  there would be no problem filling the government jobs without a pension.
If it did reduce the number of government employees, that would be a good thing too.
View Quote

I could leave tomorrow and make 100k.  You are full of dogshit.  100k won;t pay my bills, however, so I will stay at least five more years.  And, then I will get a job that pays alot more than 100k and you will still be a loser.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

New Yorkers owe Floridians at least some entertainment for what they have done to South Florida.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mind paying his pension.  Someone will pay mine soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#37]
These threads are stupid. Low base salary is the penalty and early retirement is the benefit.

I have lived pretty much hand to mouth and my reward is I don't have to fight bad guys when I am old.

My pension is based on base salary not OT.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then pay them equivalent pay. I have 741 employees and supervise a gigantic complex. I do not make what a civilian whom supervises that many employees makes. I would bet I make less than 20% of what they make.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You just answered a question Ive had all my childhood. My best friends father has been on retirement for at least 25 or so years, never worked when I met my friend in 4th grade.He was a warden in NY. This explains why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope warden of the Suffolk county jail- $414k a year

You just answered a question Ive had all my childhood. My best friends father has been on retirement for at least 25 or so years, never worked when I met my friend in 4th grade.He was a warden in NY. This explains why.

Wardens in Texas don't make 1/4 of that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't mind paying his pension.  Someone will pay mine soon enough.
View Quote

It's the circle of life Simba.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#41]
That's State and Local Retirees, Federal Retirees make considerably less
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the hell can afford to live here with the property taxes.    
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/local/2013/10/06/more-ny-educator-salaries-top-100000-/2933899/

Despite retirements and layoffs, the number of teachers and administrators earning more than $100,000 a year climbed 40 percent over the past five years, state records show.

My wife has a long way to go.  But our health insurance is fucking awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really think a 3rd grade art teacher is a needed job? Those kids won't make it through life having not traced their hands and made a Turkey out of it?

That may be true in NY, but in OK, teachers get paid around $15/hr including benefits. It's a salaried position though so the slackers that don't prepare for class have hourly rates that would be higher.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/local/2013/10/06/more-ny-educator-salaries-top-100000-/2933899/

Despite retirements and layoffs, the number of teachers and administrators earning more than $100,000 a year climbed 40 percent over the past five years, state records show.

My wife has a long way to go.  But our health insurance is fucking awesome.

Not for long, do you think your immune from Obama care? Your going to be paying taxes on that awesome plan very shortly.  With the haves and the have not's its just a matter of time before the SHTF.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I never bought a home. Couldn't afford it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

All money that is "contributed" to government employees is confiscated from the producers at the point of a gun.
Since the public sector is larger than the productive sector, they vote themselves inordinately high salaries and overly generous benefits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At gun point?

Damn, things are rough.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's State and Local Retirees, Federal Retirees make considerably less
View Quote

I know of a few FBI agents who live extremely comfortable in the NE.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Blah blah fucking blah. Here we go again bagging on the firemen and cops because we have a pension. How many times had this been hashed out this year?

The most I can make when I max at 32 years is 74% of a first class private. No overtime, no top three years etc.

Everyone always wants to bitch and complain about police and fire pensions and try to rob from them for this and that. Well fuck you and them. Unless you have been shot at by some scumbag or had to crawl down the hall of a boarded up vacant blowing fire over your head looking for the heroin junkie that started a fire to keep warm in sub zero temps fuck you(.mil excluded and thank you for your service)

If you thought it was better in the private sector or were too much of a chicken shit to take the test then I guess you should just say thank you and continue to support your local police and firemen.

I busted my ass to get on the fire dept. I didnt have family on and I am not a minority or a woman so I was behind the 8ball to start. I studied, worked out etc to be the best and was #1 for a reason. I did all of this knowing that my life would be shorter than the average joe on the street. I did it knowing that cancer is MANY times the normal person, that divorce rates are in the high 70's, that I would miss vacations, holidays, kids games and plays etc.

They take applications every 2 years around here. All there is to do is sign up, do better than several thousand other people in the process and give up everything I listed before.

I do it willingly without thought or reservation. I will lay down my life for yours and you want to complain about my pension.

i direct this at no one in particular and am sorry if I offended anyone. I am just venting.
View Quote

We here this all the time.Its like the democratic party if they don't have racism to talk about they have nothing. No one is questioning your commitment but Its a matter of pure economics.  No offense
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, whatever you need to tell yourself to feel better
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Since y'all are public employees, the "rest of us" are paying for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So sorry that some of you have lost benefits
No  reason to take it out on the rest of us
Since y'all are public employees, the "rest of us" are paying for it.

If we had 401ks you'd be paying through taxes, just as you were "paying" through buying a companies products when more private sector companies had actual pensions
The problems with public sector pension plans were in many cases caused by employers declaring pension holidays so that you actually ^weren't^ paying, or the plans were bled dry for their funding or otherwise run poorly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#50]
We have a referendum fight going on over this right now.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top