Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That post is going to be a problem for many people here...Not saying that I care or agree/ disagree, just saying that post is going to bring out rage, envy, jealously and hate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

This^

My base topped out salary as a Deputy Sheriff is, 32.89. With advanced cert pay, college, physical fitness pay, longevity pay and COLA raises my agency is upwards of 39 bucks an hour. I work 20 hours of OT a month, rotating 12 hour shift and couldn't imagine doing anything else then push a patrol car!!!  

Stop bitching cause the government/LEO employees make to much money. Get off your ass, come and apply and you will be offered the same benefits!!

That post is going to be a problem for many people here...Not saying that I care or agree/ disagree, just saying that post is going to bring out rage, envy, jealously and hate.

Not at all....hell, I did it. My last year in police work I broke $100,000 with overtime. Unfortunately my pension didnt include overtime.

Anyways, it wasnt enough, I wanted more.

That being said, pension plans and the benefits they pay out have to be fiduciarily sound. You would never find pensions like this in the private sector because when the fund doesnt perform well enough to pay out all those benefits, they cant simply make the tax payers pay the difference.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm a bit unclear how any person in a law enforcement role can make more than a teacher.
View Quote

With the education requirments for teachers it should be easy for them to get hired on as police recruits if they want the bigger money. With their education they could probably promote to Sgt in 5-10 years as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The new kids (nypd) to the best of my memory, no longer get 3/4s disability, no O-T towards pensions, and 22.5 year retirement.
View Quote

My local departments newest officers pay about 18% of their salary into their retirement plan which pays 2.7% at 57-years old.  57 is pretty old for street cop.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

With the education requirments for teachers it should be easy for them to get hired on as police recruits if they want the bigger money. With their education they could probably promote to Sgt in 5-10 years as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a bit unclear how any person in a law enforcement role can make more than a teacher.

They could be Lt. and above in that time at my agency.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I got 10 left and retire at 55 like a boss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So much butt hurt in here.

12 more years to go and I will be retiring before 50

Damn,to be so lucky!!

55 is kind of the magic age for retirement in our system. It is a state wide system that any municipal employee can belong to. Yes, we have a 20 year retirement, but for someone like me who started at age 23 that would mean retiring at 43, and drawing about 25K per year. If I stay till 55, that would be 32 years and I would be closer to about 90% of my base salary at the time of retirement.

Spiking used to be a huge issue. People would work retarded amounts of overtime for 3 years because retirement was based on your highest 3 years of salary earned. We now have rules against that.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hell, we have retired school superintendents pulling down 200K plus IN RETIREMENT.  Gee, why are the schools broke.......

View Quote

I would have to see the education of the superintendent, the budget he was responsible and the number employees he was responsible for to even start looking into if $200K is low, high or about right. Because how you tell is you compare it to what kind of retirement would that education, experiance and budget get you in the private sector?

Everyone is competing for the same employees.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do most teachers have masters degrees? Because to promote to Lt here they are going to need a Masters or PHD plus completion of schools like FBI leadership institute at quantico.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The OT is hours worked, often because the employer would rather use OT that hire adequate staffing

OT should be counted towards the employees salary for pension purposes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Allowing spiking (counting overtime) in the calculation is a recipe for disaster.  The pensions are pretty lucrative without spiking.  

The OT is hours worked, often because the employer would rather use OT that hire adequate staffing

Oh I know how it works.  I retired a year ago with 31 years under the CHP 3% @ 50 plan. However, my department used highest year + specialty pay.  No overtime in the formula. We make a very good wage to start with.  I am always shocked at how much LEO and FF in other areas make.

A small department in a very affluent city just north of me DOES include OT.  Every year there is "shocking expose" in the local paper revealing pay and benefits.  Whoever signed their contract was an idiot.  I do well, those guys do very well.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
LOL.

What's "overtime?"

What's a "pension?"

Some of you guys would be apoplectic with rage if you ever left the artificial bubble of unionized public employment and saw how the rest of the world gets paid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Allowing spiking (counting overtime) in the calculation is a recipe for disaster.  The pensions are pretty lucrative without spiking.  

LOL.

What's "overtime?"

What's a "pension?"

Some of you guys would be apoplectic with rage if you ever left the artificial bubble of unionized public employment and saw how the rest of the world gets paid.

Do you think LEO/FF are bred in a hatchery and never exposed to the outside world?

I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and state that 99.999% of us started in the private sector. I knew what I wanted and went for it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/24/3-firefighters-die-of-911-related-illnesses-in-one-day/

It's actually 4 that died last week.

I would say they earned their pension.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

55 is kind of the magic age for retirement in our system. It is a state wide system that any municipal employee can belong to. Yes, we have a 20 year retirement, but for someone like me who started at age 23 that would mean retiring at 43, and drawing about 25K per year. If I stay till 55, that would be 32 years and I would be closer to about 90% of my base salary at the time of retirement.

Spiking used to be a huge issue. People would work retarded amounts of overtime for 3 years because retirement was based on your highest 3 years of salary earned. We now have rules against that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So much butt hurt in here.

12 more years to go and I will be retiring before 50

Damn,to be so lucky!!

Last sentences nail it....the way it works around here (and I have lots of Buffalo PD friends...), is the last few years you are working, guys slide you any of their overtime hours so you can max out. They know when it comes their time, the younger guys will do the same for them. Its an unwritten code....

I don't blame the guys for working the system to their benefit, i would do the same if I could...but I do piss on the dumb asses who approved the contract to allow them to do it. Lots of taxpayer money up in smoke to support artificially bloated pensions, and it just keeps getting worse.

Lets face it, back in the 40s and 50s and 60s, civil service contracts got written to provide maximum benefits since they couldn't compete with the lucrative up front pay and benefits of a booming industrial base. They had to attract more than pinheads and window lickers to the job (I am talking civil service in general, not just LE/fire...) since you could go to the steel plant or car plant and make really good money, and get full healthcare and such. That shit has sailed, and its time to get civil service contracts back in line with industry....
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because to promote to Lt here they are going to need a Masters or PHD plus completion of schools like FBI leadership institute at quantico.
View Quote

You don't even need a Bachelor's here to make Lt.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

In California you can not "spike" your retirement.  It is based on base salary and "earned" benefits like holiday in lieu pay out, assignment pay, and longevity pay.

Umm, no.

See my above post.  It depends entirely on the municipality and what they signed on to.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/24/3-firefighters-die-of-911-related-illnesses-in-one-day/  
View Quote

Many here stated those guys dying of 9/11 illnesses shouldn't even be getting their medical treatment paid for.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Many here stated those guys dying of 9/11 illnesses shouldn't even be getting their medical treatment paid for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah...i remember reading those comments.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Oh I know how it works.  I retired a year ago with 31 years under the CHP 3% @ 50 plan. However, my department used highest year + specialty pay.  No overtime in the formula. We make a very good wage to start with.  I am always shocked at how much LEO and FF in other areas make.

A small department in a very affluent city just north of me DOES include OT.  Every year there is "shocking expose" in the local paper revealing pay and benefits.  Whoever signed their contract was an idiot.  I do well, those guys do very well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

City name?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In California you can not "spike" your retirement.  It is based on base salary and "earned" benefits like holiday in lieu pay out, assignment pay, and longevity pay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm, no.

See my above post.  It depends entirely on the municipality and what they signed on to.

I'm on the 3@50 + specialty pay also.  No OT

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That's not how any of this works
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do away with the delay and pay it out up front.

That's not how government works.

I unfriend you
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I unfriend you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do away with the delay and pay it out up front.

That's not how government works.

I unfriend you

You guys are on ball today!

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Almost have my 7.5 hrs in today
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I know our local FD starts out a little over $26K a year, the PD around $32-33K last I heard.  A lot of the PD and Highway Patrol work security on the side and make $18/hr at the local hospital.  Many of them (city PD) say they won't work anywhere else as security for less than $25/hr.  Our town has a population around 15,000.

A friend I grew up with has been a city Police officer for about 7 years now and makes around $50K a year working a town with about 25,000 people in it.  I also know a kid that's been a city of Dallas, Tx Police for about 5 years and he started out at $50K.  I really don't think I would want to work in their position and put up with the crap they have to.  At the same time I work as a nurse at a hospital and I feel like I have to see some bad stuff at times and I've had local PD and Patrolmen tell me they wouldn't want my job either.

As for retirement I think it's a bit silly to say the least some of the retirements the Gov't employees get.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Another interesting factoid that should relieve some of the taxpayer butthurt... On average LEOs die within 40 months of retirement....
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another interesting factoid that should relieve some of the taxpayer butthurt... On average LEOs die within 40 months of retirement....
View Quote

I have see this happen 3 times in the past 7 years.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's been disproven numerous times by the people who cut the pension checks, ie: CalPERS.

In 2008, the California Public Employees' Retirement System, or CalPERS, which manages the country's largest public pension fund, released a report called "Preparing for Tomorrow" that concluded the average public safety officer retires at 55, about four years earlier than the average worker.

The organization's research, which was conducted in 2004, showed that police officers who retire at age 55 live, on average, to be 81 — the same age as the typical government worker.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Most of the state pension systems have been restructured. The only people making a killing on them now are the ones who were hired before the change and are still on the old system.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Civilian government employees should not receive pensions.
They should pay into SS and save for retirement.
View Quote

Good luck with that.  That is partially the only reason the government has employees.  force it to compete dollar for dollar with the free market and watch.  Hell its hard enough for most open positions to find candidates now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We had guys make millions in their off time creating businesses that had nothing to do with their Gov job. How you make a living doesn't stop with the Gov clock. Your Gov job will not hold you back if you have the motivation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you in the private sector might have the opportunity to make MILLIONS if the cards work out right. I never will, because I chose a job in public safety. I'll make a livable wage for the rest of my life with decent benefits. I chose my profession, you chose yours. I pay into the pension system every pay check. I won't get SS benefits, and I also have other savings plans to supplement or replace my pension if I get fucked by some politicians. I make a livable wage for the cost of living. It would be possible to be a sole income family with what I make, but it would be difficult at best.

Secondary to that, 100k is very middle class in a lot of the cities where these cops and firefighters worked. It's not 1980 anymore, 100k a year salary doesn't qualify you as "rich".

You guys that get shit on in the private sector, how about demanding your employers start taking better care of you? Why all the hate for cops and firefighters who are by all reasonable accounts middle class?

We had guys make millions in their off time creating businesses that had nothing to do with their Gov job. How you make a living doesn't stop with the Gov clock. Your Gov job will not hold you back if you have the motivation.

This is called moonlighting and in alot gov jobs you will be fired for such things.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pensions, at best, should be base salary at retirement.
View Quote

I get about 80% of my base. I'd be great with all of it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not at all....hell, I did it. My last year in police work I broke $100,000 with overtime. Unfortunately my pension didnt include overtime.

That being said, pension plans and the benefits they pay out have to be fiduciarily sound. You would never find pensions like this in the private sector because when the fund doesnt perform well enough to pay out all those benefits, they cant simply make the tax payers pay the difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

This^

My base topped out salary as a Deputy Sheriff is, 32.89. With advanced cert pay, college, physical fitness pay, longevity pay and COLA raises my agency is upwards of 39 bucks an hour. I work 20 hours of OT a month, rotating 12 hour shift and couldn't imagine doing anything else then push a patrol car!!!  

Stop bitching cause the government/LEO employees make to much money. Get off your ass, come and apply and you will be offered the same benefits!!

The reality is that those complaining about cops making more than teachers would be complaining even more if the job were to only pay 15-20 bucks an hour.

Why?

Because those wiing to do the job for peanuts would be of a caliber that truly made one face palm.    Pay is reflected on what they are worth otherwise there wouldnt be anybody, worth keeping, doing the job.

As for my retirement.   I pay in or make a contribution from every pay check for life.    If I live long enough to draw out more than I put in I will be damned surprised.

There is no spiking.   I am 3% at 50, started at 30yrs old and will be lucky if I get 25 years in.

But I like what I do and overtime is plentiful enough to let me make a very comfortable living for a single guy.

/edited to add

I have my life/mortgage/expenses set up to survive off of base pay with no over time.     Overtime permits for a bit of excess and fun.   I am getting while the getting is good so to speak.   Making use of extra money to pay my mortgage down.   Mkst of my debt can be cleared tomorrow if I chose to and have only my mortgage left.

I am also partially of the opinion that my retirement may not be entirely "safe" to rely on with 15-20 years left to go.

But having made my own contributions I am hoping I at least get out of it what I paid into it.   With that in mind I hope to have my 30 year mortgage paid inside of 20.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It all eventually self-corrects.

View Quote

States Warned of $2 Trillion Pensions Shortfall

Federal bailout incoming?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pensions, at best, should be base salary at retirement.

This.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The reality is that those complaining about cops making more than teachers would be complaining even more if the job were to only pay 15-20 bucks an hour.
Why?
Because those wiing to do the job for peanuts would be of a caliber that truly made one face palm. Pay is reflected on what they are worth otherwise there wouldn't be anybody, worth keeping, doing the job.
View Quote

When NYPD dropped starting pay to $13.28 an hour several years ago they were forced to hire people DQd during the hire process in the past and people with criminal records because no one wanted the job anymore. They sent recruitment people around the country to give the hiring exam at military bases and no one showed up to even take the test.

I'd love to see who'd they'd be forced to hire if they got rid of the pension.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is called moonlighting and in alot gov jobs you will be fired for such things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you in the private sector might have the opportunity to make MILLIONS if the cards work out right. I never will, because I chose a job in public safety. I'll make a livable wage for the rest of my life with decent benefits. I chose my profession, you chose yours. I pay into the pension system every pay check. I won't get SS benefits, and I also have other savings plans to supplement or replace my pension if I get fucked by some politicians. I make a livable wage for the cost of living. It would be possible to be a sole income family with what I make, but it would be difficult at best.

Secondary to that, 100k is very middle class in a lot of the cities where these cops and firefighters worked. It's not 1980 anymore, 100k a year salary doesn't qualify you as "rich".

You guys that get shit on in the private sector, how about demanding your employers start taking better care of you? Why all the hate for cops and firefighters who are by all reasonable accounts middle class?

I knew very few people that didn't have a second job. I think Moonlighting is an outdated term.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When NYPD dropped starting pay to $13.28 an hour several years ago they were forced to hire people DQd during the hire process in the past and people with criminal records because no one wanted the job anymore. They sent recruitment people around the country to give the hiring exam at military bases and no one showed up to even take the test.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?
Because those wiing to do the job for peanuts would be of a caliber that truly made one face palm. Pay is reflected on what they are worth otherwise there wouldn't be anybody, worth keeping, doing the job.

Over the years I have seen cops do some colossal epic stupid career ending shit.

Ruining long term livelihood for themselves and their families over nonsense.    Just so damn much to give up and risk a potential 6 figure income(if doing 30-40hrs overtime per pay period for 3-4 months) over STUPID shit.

For the majority of cops the pay is good enough that they dont dare risk putting it on the line.    There are those who could and would essentially do the job for free while maintaining professional and morale bearing.    Then there are those who are cynical jaded bastards who would like to tell Dirt Bags what the score is but bite their tongue knowing a fat paycheck is better satsifaction than a career ending foot in mouth moment.

Then sadly there are those that cannot give up their basic nature despite the pay and benefits.

As for overtime, I am doing as much as i can while I am younger.    With no family/kids I would be dumb not to.     When and if I have family/kids the time and opportunity just may not be there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

New NYPD get screwed, old NYPD had it quite a bit better.  There are very few jobs aside from LEO, ff, and mil where you are expected to go into harms way and get hurt on a regular basis.  

Teachers, through their unions have ended up with the largest entitlement complex I've ever seen, all while cramming liberal crap down the throats of our youth.  

I always get a good laugh out of watching the lawyers who don't prep for cases and have to keep thumbing through reports someone else wrote because they can't remember their own case load and why they are in court.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably dynamic terrorists and veterans... help the gains.

I actually had a teacher say that to me.

I still consider myself to be the luckiest moron anywhere...........

The new kids (nypd) to the best of my memory, no longer get 3/4s disability, no O-T towards pensions, and 22.5 year retirement.

New NYPD get screwed, old NYPD had it quite a bit better.  There are very few jobs aside from LEO, ff, and mil where you are expected to go into harms way and get hurt on a regular basis.  

Teachers, through their unions have ended up with the largest entitlement complex I've ever seen, all while cramming liberal crap down the throats of our youth.  

I always get a good laugh out of watching the lawyers who don't prep for cases and have to keep thumbing through reports someone else wrote because they can't remember their own case load and why they are in court.  

Our teachers bitch and moan about their pay.  They make $50k a year.  Pretty damn good for getting 3 months off in the summer.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Holy shit.  $13.28 an hour?  In NYC?

Thats laughable.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Most of the state pension systems have been restructured. The only people making a killing on them now are the ones who were hired before the change and are still on the old system.
View Quote

This.  You have to put in 27 years here to get full pension, and most of us will never make even half of what entry LEOs make up North even by our 27th year.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Meh, with OT and special duty I'm over 100k for pushin a cruiser around. Quit your bitching, any of you can take the test as easily
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#39]
There is a lot of grumbling about the pay and pensions of Govt workers.

So.....you know what?

YOU can always join them.  That is.......IF you can pass the civil service exam, put up with the work conditions, and put up with all the BS from the public that are always willing to tell you how you are suppose to do the job.

Aloha, Mark

PS......

Padding OT to increase your pension is wrong.  Just like changing the address on your corporation to avoid paying a higher tax rate.  Hate the game or the payer?   Either way, there is a fix.  So, who has "the balls to fix it?"  

Because, I'd vote for that person.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I work and don't make as much as they do sitting on their fat asses vacuuming up Cheetos and coke.

Negative response.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thats laughable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats laughable.

It was supposed to be a money saving deal that blew up in the city's face. After 2 years they were forced to raise the starting pay back up to where it was before.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The lazy people didn't work OT, nor the dim-witted.

Actually, those two you described sound smart. They stuck with it long enough to land jobs that make over 120K a year.

If these jobs are so lucrative that they draw envy, rage and distain from people, why are only the dim-wits  applying?   One T or two?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is why Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island will be go bakrupt down the line because the taxpayers are not going to continue to tolerate property tax increases.

I have a few childhood friends who are SCPD and one on the NCPD and they are lazy dim-witts making $130K a year and one hits over $150k with his OT. All started out in the NYPD as they could not get on the SCPD or NCPD as they could not write a high enough score. It was not until the SCPD (Feds) dumbed down the test so far that they got on.

The lazy people didn't work OT, nor the dim-witted.

Actually, those two you described sound smart. They stuck with it long enough to land jobs that make over 120K a year.

If these jobs are so lucrative that they draw envy, rage and distain from people, why are only the dim-wits  applying?   One T or two?

Any monkey can volunteer for OT and do next to nothing in Suffolk County. Yeah you might work a little harder if you are in one of the few bad sectors of the county but most parts are a cake walk. Trust me they are dim-witted despite your take on it as I grew up with them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This shit cracks me up every fucking time.

Funny because 99% of teachers are stupid, egotistical, self-absorbed, liberal cocksuckers that expect the world to revolve around them.

Only 98% of cops are like that (well, according to GD anyway).
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Couldnt be more serious.

What their salary adds up to per hour is just plain crazy.

You really think a 3rd grade art teacher is a needed job? Those kids won't make it through life having not traced their hands and made a Turkey out of it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Teachers make wayyyy to much money and get way to good of benefits compared to the actual job they do.

Especially some worthless music or art teacher........not sure how that is even a real job.

Not sure if serious, or a troll...

Couldnt be more serious.

What their salary adds up to per hour is just plain crazy.

You really think a 3rd grade art teacher is a needed job? Those kids won't make it through life having not traced their hands and made a Turkey out of it?

A buddy's mom is a music teacher. She works 6 hours a day, 8 months out of the year, and makes over $120,000 per year. One time he plainly said "She deserves more, it's not enough." I had to walk away.

What a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Civilian government employees should not receive pensions.
They should pay into SS and save for retirement.
View Quote

I pay into SS, pension, and 401k with my county gov job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It all eventually self-corrects.

States Warned of $2 Trillion Pensions Shortfall

Federal bailout incoming?

'

Oh, I'm sure.  Baring a "black swan" financial event, they'll all get staggering aid over the next few decades.  

Hell, even IF we have a "black swan" financial event they'll underwrite the national debt to cover the shortfalls.  After which they'll make the appropriate adjustments.  If you're a xGen or younger, you will get screwed.  I remember when I started in the financial sector, we had a pension plan that was very lucrative.  15 years in with the firm, they phased it out.  Those that were able to reach retirement under the old plan retired wealthy, either lump sum distributions in the millions, or lifetime annuity payments higher then their working base salary.  

When your demographics have a lot of workers to retirees, and your base is growing, such imbalances occur.  But after the early 80's the demographics went the other way.  So most private firms started phasing out their "pension" plans, by the mid to late 90's finding a private firm that had a pension plan was rare.

But not government.  

However, their day of reckoning is coming.  You might be able to point guns at people to get them to pay so much in taxes, but at a certain point... they get restless.  Many public pension plans still use the old "Mark to book" method to value their assets, instead of the more time consuming and costly "mark to market", and even those that use "mark to market" the accuracy of their valuations is questionable.  We all know an asset is only worth what someone is willing to pay you.  Many homeowners have learned this painful lesson.  So a lot of "healthy" appearing pension plans aren't.  

It's smoke and mirrors.  It will unwind.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's it? He needs to step up his OT.
My friends on those two departments make more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a few childhood friends who are SCPD and one on the NCPD and they are lazy dim-witts making $130K a year and one hits over $150k with his OT. All started out in the NYPD as they could not get on the SCPD or NCPD as they could not write a high enough score. It was not until the SCPD (Feds) dumbed down the test so far that they got on.

That's it? He needs to step up his OT.
My friends on those two departments make more.

Beat me to it.

I know tons of guys that make a lot more than that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

. My sister is a teacher and I fully support them but a real cops should make more than that.  Risk equals benefit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

. My sister is a teacher and I fully support them but a real cops should make more than that.  Risk equals benefit.

Lol. I guess Corrections never got the memo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My sister is a teacher and I fully support them but a real cops should make more than that.  Risk equals benefit.

We have Corrections guys here on Long Island making over $170k.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top