BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He talks the talk and then stumps commercials for buy here pay here car lots, windows and doors, etc.. It's kinda funny, I listen then its commercial break and I'm like whaaaaa?

His investment advice is overly simplified, and does not promote diversified portfolios. Expecting 12% returns from mutual funds is extremely exaggerated, and frankly unrealistic.
Otherwise, his plan for getting out of debt is spot on. I'm doing a modified version of this plan myself.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone considering Dave Ramsey should google for opinions critical of him. He has good aspects and bad ones.
Lol,    
He talks the talk and then stumps commercials for buy here pay here car lots, windows and doors, etc.. It's kinda funny, I listen then its commercial break and I'm like whaaaaa?

His investment advice is overly simplified, and does not promote diversified portfolios. Expecting 12% returns from mutual funds is extremely exaggerated, and frankly unrealistic.
Otherwise, his plan for getting out of debt is spot on. I'm doing a modified version of this plan myself.

Hold on, Dave Ramsey is saying you can expect 12% return from mutual funds consistently? He needs to put down the pipe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hold on, Dave Ramsey is saying you can expect 12% return from mutual funds consistently? He needs to put down the pipe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/make-12-percent-returns-with-mutual-funds

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If I could stay out of the gun store, I'd do a lot better.  There's just always something that I want.

Meh, I'm single with no kids so might as well have cool stuff.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. It wasn't just a one-time thing, either. People always call him out on it, and he always defends it. Pretty recurring thing.

I like a lot of what Dave says, but not all of it necessarily. For instance, not having a credit card under any circumstances, ever. I have plenty of cash on hand to pay off the CC every single month, and I get 1-5% cash for everything I buy. It does add up, and makes for some nice little bonuses here and there. If you're not an idiot, there's really no downside. But I understand what he's doing. Its a mental game for most people, and the one-size-fits-all approach eliminates any possibility for people to do the justification thing to themselves.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I like a lot of what Dave says, but not all of it necessarily. For instance, not having a credit card under any circumstances, ever. I have plenty of cash on hand to pay off the CC every single month, and I get 1-5% cash for everything I buy. It does add up, and makes for some nice little bonuses here and there. If you're not an idiot, there's really no downside. But I understand what he's doing. Its a mental game for most people, and the one-size-fits-all approach eliminates any possibility for people to do the justification thing to themselves.
View Quote

I agree.  He says that because a lot of people can't control themselves with plastic.  It's too convenient and too much of a temptation for them.  They never exercise self control and credit card debt is possibly the worst kind of debt to have because of the high interest rates.

My parents never completely agreed with all of Dave Ramsey's ideas.  What they and I both use is a somewhat modified version, but I had them to thank for self control.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah. It wasn't just a one-time thing, either. People always call him out on it, and he always defends it. Pretty recurring thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can definitely make more than 12% in a year, that's not the issue, but he is making appear as if it is a very attainable average year over year. He is making it sounds like you can crank a 12% return year after year after year after year. I don't even know where he pulled that number from either. None of the research I have seen, from all the big risk modeling firms ever show that average return using a markowitz model. I am not saying that return can not be done, but to do it with only mutual funds, that's a stretch.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If I could stay out of the gun store, I'd do a lot better.  There's just always something that I want.

Meh, I'm single with no kids so might as well have cool stuff.
View Quote
That's easy since all of the local gun stores near me are laughably overpriced.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I think of all the money I've spent on crap over the decades, I want to repeatedly punch myself in the head.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Marry me!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. Nature of being human.

I knew I wasn't human. I find it very easy.

Marry me!  

Sorry, she is mine.  I've decided since she and I have a lot of hobbies in common and she is better with money than most of the men I know that you can't have her.
We'd have a grand time renovating the house.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Not difficult at all.  See what you can do to have it taken directly from your paycheck or bank account - 401k through work or a brokerage account that will ACH money from your bank account automatically each month.  It's like you never have it to begin with, so you don't miss it.  Maybe overly easy for me since I work for a brokerage firm, but your bank or a broker likely have options.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But I understand what he's doing. Its a mental game for most people, and the one-size-fits-all approach eliminates any possibility for people to do the justification thing to themselves.
View Quote

BINGO.  He is speaking to his target market.... those that need rigid guidelines because they have been failing doing it their way.

Why people cant understand this is beyond me.  I have always adopted a somewhat modified version of his plan since I first read his book.  But I have personally witnessed the positive changes he has made is so many peoples lives around me, that I am a fan.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He's good for broke people with no money, no fiscal discipline, and no working knowledge of debt leverage. I used to vehemently disagree with him on the whole life insurance issue, Then I realized his target market doesn't make enough to use the tax shelter aspects of it or even grasp the concept. He's a solid guy for people that can't help but burn their money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone considering Dave Ramsey should google for opinions critical of him. He has good aspects and bad ones.
He's good for broke people with no money, no fiscal discipline, and no working knowledge of debt leverage. I used to vehemently disagree with him on the whole life insurance issue, Then I realized his target market doesn't make enough to use the tax shelter aspects of it or even grasp the concept. He's a solid guy for people that can't help but burn their money.

It's his (and his fans') opinion on debt I really have issue with. His is not the only way, even for broke wage workers. Sometimes, paying off debt isn't the first thing to do. Sometimes, a person should strategically default. It's not a moral issue, it's just business.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry, she is mine.  I've decided since she and I have a lot of hobbies in common and she is better with money than most of the men I know that you can't have her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. Nature of being human.

I knew I wasn't human. I find it very easy.

Marry me!  

We're going to be very happy together.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

His approach towards debt is for people who historically haven't done a good job managing debt. Those who find him and latch on  to his principles normally come from the living paycheck to paycheck, too much month at the end of the money crowd, no matter what their level of income is. He's not talking to the minority of people who are good managing debt and their finances in general. They (and I assume you put yourself in that category) are NOT his target audience and don't need his advice to do well with their finances. Don't discourage people from trying to learn to do better with what they have. As Ramsey says, baby steps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know of any "messiahs" of money out there who are 100% all of the time for all people and all situations.  Do you?  Most of the critical stuff is pretty sad, actually... I can poke holes in most I have seen as it is poorly researched and terribly biased without actually understand what he states.  Other than his investment advice for those who already have a solid handle on their finances, and investments... you can make a solid argument against and I'd agree with that.

When it comes to the actual content of THIS THREAD... which is the topic of saving money, of which we are actually talking about here.... he is spot on.  

So you agree that he has good points and bad points.

I have issues with his approach towards debt. But let's not derail. People should just do their research before drinking the coolaid.

His approach towards debt is for people who historically haven't done a good job managing debt. Those who find him and latch on  to his principles normally come from the living paycheck to paycheck, too much month at the end of the money crowd, no matter what their level of income is. He's not talking to the minority of people who are good managing debt and their finances in general. They (and I assume you put yourself in that category) are NOT his target audience and don't need his advice to do well with their finances. Don't discourage people from trying to learn to do better with what they have. As Ramsey says, baby steps.

I do like his advice for staying out of debt. And his advice for getting out of debt can be right, in some cases.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's his (and his fans') opinion on debt I really have issue with. His is not the only way, even for broke wage workers. Sometimes, paying off debt isn't the first thing to do. Sometimes, a person should strategically default. It's not a moral issue, it's just business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you are immoral, it's easy to say that defaulting on your word, is "just business".   But then, even Dave advocates for bankruptcy in some cases, so I am not sure what you are saying.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When you are immoral, it's easy to say that defaulting on your word, is "just business".   But then, even Dave advocates for bankruptcy in some cases, so I am not sure what you are saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's ok that you believe debt is a moral issue. But there are other opinions, and it behooves a debtor to research and make up their own minds.

Strategic default and bankruptcy aren't the same thing. There are statutes of limitations, and protections for debtors, and lenders lend with full knowledge of them. It's playing by the rules.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I was doing pretty good.

Then I bought a house.
And a new truck.

Now it seems like everytime I turn around there is another $1,000+ bill associated with one or both.
Insurance, property taxes, maintenance etc.

Also knocking off a 6 year car loan in 2 years really eats into saving money.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lol. So you agree with me too, that he has his good points and his bad points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know of any "messiahs" of money out there who are 100% all of the time for all people and all situations.  Do you?  Most of the critical stuff is pretty sad, actually... I can poke holes in most I have seen as it is poorly researched and terribly biased without actually understand what he states.  Other than his investment advice for those who already have a solid handle on their finances, and investments... you can make a solid argument against and I'd agree with that.

When it comes to the actual content of THIS THREAD... which is the topic of saving money, of which we are actually talking about here.... he is spot on.  

I have issues with his approach towards debt. But let's not derail. People should just do their research before drinking the coolaid.

Love his approach or hate it, he is successful because it is effective. I based my debt system mostly on what he teaches and tweaked it for what worked best for me. It got me out of debt and into a house of my own in a short period of time. You don't need to follow his program to a T, I didn't and I still made it work. I know others who have as well.

When we live in a world where 90% of us don't know our ass from a hole in the wall when it comes to finances or proper budgeting and more than half are living paycheck to paycheck I find it very hard to take anyone who slanders a working system seriously. When anyone bad mouthing him can show me they are debt free, successful in finance and is willing to help others become the same (regardless of whether or not they are selling that service) and have a better way to do so, then and only then would I give a single fuck about their opinion on the matter.

When I want to become something I emulate anyone who is what I want to become. I seek financial advice from wealthy people, I don't give a shit what poor people have to say about wealth, if they knew what they were talking about they would be wealthy themselves.

No. I don't. If I didn't think his way of doing things was beneficial I wouldn't have followed it. I just happened to tailor it to my specific situation. Just because I may not conform to his practice 100% doesn't mean I'm going to slander the whole process. Honestly, every time I hear someone bad mouth the guy it's like hearing fudds or "pro 2A" liberals go on about firearms. "I'm pro 2A but..." No, you're either all or nothing, and in this case if you're not fiscally solid a negative opinion on the subject means nothing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. I don't. If I didn't think his way of doing things was beneficial I wouldn't have followed it. I just happened to tailor it to my specific situation. Just because I may not conform to his practice 100% doesn't mean I'm going to slander the whole process. Honestly, every time I hear someone bad mouth the guy it's like hearing fudds or "pro 2A" liberals go on about firearms. "I'm pro 2A but..." No, you're either all or nothing, and in this case if you're not fiscally solid a negative opinion on the subject means nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

Love his approach or hate it, he is successful because it is effective. I based my debt system mostly on what he teaches and tweaked it for what worked best for me. It got me out of debt and into a house of my own in a short period of time. You don't need to follow his program to a T, I didn't and I still made it work. I know others who have as well.

When we live in a world where 90% of us don't know our ass from a hole in the wall when it comes to finances or proper budgeting and more than half are living paycheck to paycheck I find it very hard to take anyone who slanders a working system seriously. When anyone bad mouthing him can show me they are debt free, successful in finance and is willing to help others become the same (regardless of whether or not they are selling that service) and have a better way to do so, then and only then would I give a single fuck about their opinion on the matter.

When I want to become something I emulate anyone who is what I want to become. I seek financial advice from wealthy people, I don't give a shit what poor people have to say about wealth, if they knew what they were talking about they would be wealthy themselves.

You're agreeing with me.  You don't follow him 100% and you tweaked it to work for you. Where do you get "slander" from what you quoted of me?

(edit: having a hard time with the quote limits. You get the idea.)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#20]
FUCKING YES! If it where easy then everyone would be doing it... want more money? work more hours....  you'll see.    goal setting for me has always been a strong motivator when it comes to saving money. choose a goal and work hard to make it happen... When i needed to start saving money coin/PM collecting really got me moving in the right direction.  just be relentless man , you can reach your goals. just comes down to how hard your willing to work. find out what motivates you and don't stop until you you get it ...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes!......Of course it's hard to try to save to save money these days.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#22]
i did.  when i was in my 20s, i made a solid living ($50K-$60K) working the bar.  somehow though, i was always living day-to-day, and came out with absolutely nothing to show for it other than stories.  i grew up poor, so consumption was a new and exciting thing for me--if i wanted something, i bought it because i could.  and because i was always dealing with cash, it tended to flow very quickly.  i lived a very full party lifestyle, and the amount of money i spend on good times still makes me wince.

since i've been back in school, i'm living on ~$20K/yr.  the thing is, i'm not at all uncomfortable.  it's not a luxurious life, but i'm not suffering.  this has been an excellent recalibration for me, and has caused me to get serious about budgeting and such.  so when i get back out into the professional workforce, i'm going to have a much better sense of how to allocate disposable income.

but it won't make up for 20 years of getting further and further behind the curve in terms of developing assets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah no problem. No wife or kids, my only vice is guns, ammo, and training. Fuck I'm boring.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I do like his advice for staying out of debt. And his advice for getting out of debt can be right, in some cases.
View Quote

If I followed that advice, I would still be a wage earning electrician.

I did exactly what Dave said not to do and borrowed money to start an electrical contracting business.  That money was completely paid back with 3.5 years and today I am a business owner with employees.  

If I listened to Dave Ramsey I would still be saving the money needed to start the business.  I would have been many years behind which means hundreds of thousands would have been lost in the long run.

The people who say "debt is slavery" simply don't know how to leverage things properly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Not everyone will travel the same road in life.

Some folks will find their road never travels to some states or certain elevations.

Many are ok with that.

Some will feel they missed out on something.

Run searches and do reading and find a used book store to buy some books and do some page turning.

I rarely feel like telling someone that person X has the perfect concept and they should follow that.

I do often tell folks to run searches and read about the big names who do have some good ideas that might ring true with some folks.

Dave ramsey has some concepts that might work for others.  It does not really make mathmatical sense to just pay the lowest credit card debt off and move on to the next highest.  You would pay off the one with the highest interest rate first if you are mathmatically based in your thinking.

But a lot of folks enjoy seeing something paid off and at zero balance.  They get a surge of energy from that.  And that surge of energy will move people on to the next one.  

Perhaps someone looks at 5k in credit card debt with high interest and feels they are barely making a dent after a few months.  Then they stop trying.  Not gonna get far that way.

There are a ton of sites out there and a ton of concepts.

Overall it is like your body weight.

Money in should be greater than money out.  If there are things that can be cut out without killing you, perhaps cutting them out for a bit is a good idea.

Weight is along the lines of calories in don't really need to be that much higher than calories out.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I do.

I find it very easy to blow money on small stuff, like drinks and snacks (which also helps explain why I'm fat lol) but doing the math that's a good amount that can be set aside or put towards debt. But 2 kids and a third on the way, it won't get much easier. I'm getting a raise here soon and busting ass working 50 hours a week and pushing for bonuses to help pay it down and off, and build up savings.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I did exactly what Dave said not to do and borrowed money to start an electrical contracting business.  That money was completely paid back with 3.5 years and today I am a business owner with employees.  

If I listened to Dave Ramsey I would still be saving the money needed to start the business.  I would have been many years behind which means hundreds of thousands would have been lost in the long run.

The people who say "debt is slavery" simply don't know how to leverage things properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant his little stuff, you're absolutely right that his debt-phobic attitude can be bad in some cases.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I meant his little stuff, you're absolutely right that his debt-phobic attitude can be bad in some cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya.  I wasn't disagreeing with you as much as I was using what you said as a jumping point for my rant.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I didn't use to, but it's very difficult now with house, family, rising costs all over the place and my wages aren't soaring above it comfortably. Now every savings attempt is almost instantly nullified by medical bills, roof leaks, car repairs, or some other unsatisfying shit.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top