BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyone considering Dave Ramsey should google for opinions critical of him. He has good aspects and bad ones.
View Quote
Lol,

He talks the talk and then stumps commercials for buy here pay here car lots, windows and doors, etc.. It's kinda funny, I listen then its commercial break and I'm like whaaaaa?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I find it very hard to save, im constantly browsing this site and YouTube getting new ideas and finding more shit to buy. I make decent money and could save up alot but I like guns too much to be content with what I have and im always tracking at least one package. Im addicted to black rifles and their accessories
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Anyone considering Dave Ramsey should google for opinions critical of him. He has good aspects and bad ones.
View Quote

I don't know of any "messiahs" of money out there who are 100% all of the time for all people and all situations.  Do you?  Most of the critical stuff is pretty sad, actually... I can poke holes in most I have seen as it is poorly researched and terribly biased without actually understand what he states.  Other than his investment advice for those who already have a solid handle on their finances, and investments... you can make a solid argument against and I'd agree with that.

When it comes to the actual content of THIS THREAD... which is the topic of saving money, of which we are actually talking about here.... he is spot on.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:00:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lol,    

He talks the talk and then stumps commercials for buy here pay here car lots, windows and doors, etc.. It's kinda funny, I listen then its commercial break and I'm like whaaaaa?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol,    

Where, in what he discusses, does he advise against those things, when you can afford them?  Does a buy-here pay-here lot not also accept cash?  He openly states in his radio shows, when they cut to commercial, and now here is what pays the bills.  If he personally speaks in the ad, I have never heard him stump for a BS business.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#5]
No.  Not really.

I'm making at least one extra house note a month (sometimes two extra), plus savings, plus 401k/403b.
No kids.  Car paid for.  More than six months of savings too.

Credit card is paid off in full every month.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Like many here, the wife and I subscribe to the "pay yourself first" strategy.  We each have a substantial portion of our salary pulled out and invested automatically. It goes into our 401Ks and a bit more goes into post-tax investments.  What's left gets direct deposited into our checking account.  Since we didn't see what got pulled out, we don't miss it...and don't spend it.

We also setup another monthly deduction from our checking account direct to Fidelity.  We view it as a monthly bill, so again, we don't think about it...or have to do anything to make it happen each month.  We did the same thing to fund our daughter's 529 plan for college.  She graduates in May...without a single loan.

The trick is to take yourself out of the loop...and then you learn to live on what is left.

It works so well for us that we don't even view those items as savings....and we beat ourselves up if we are not saving some of what is left.  When we save that, we put it in a separate account, which we use for larger expenses and for  emergencies.  Since it's a separate account from the automatic savings/investment accounts, we are never tempted to draw from those other accounts.
View Quote

This is what I'm doing as well.  401/403 come out first, then savings, then make house payments.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, a credit card is not a requirement!! I'm 42 years old and never owned one and yes I can still rent cars, get hotel rooms and all that bullshit and I have cash for "emergencies" so never let someone tell you it's required to live life in America.

Pay cash for everything and in 10 years if you stay gainfully employed you'll have more money than anyone you know
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:24:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, a credit card is not a requirement!! I'm 42 years old and never owned one and yes I can still rent cars, get hotel rooms and all that bullshit and I have cash for "emergencies" so never let someone tell you it's required to live life in America.

Pay cash for everything and in 10 years if you stay gainfully employed you'll have more money than anyone you know
View Quote

Or, be a responsible adult and get a credit card to make life/finances easier.  (unless, you have already proven you cannot handle them responsibly)
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Or, be a responsible adult and get a credit card to make life/finances easier.  (unless, you have already proven you cannot handle them responsibly)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you hit on a key problem for some--that is, they can't resist the temptation to buy something if they have the plastic.
I've never had that issue, but some do--YMMV
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My parents did that their whole lives.  They have quite large bank account numbers.  They are retired and tried to get a loan for a Polaris RZR last year and were denied.  Bank said, you have no credit, you don't exist, we can't lend you money.  I lol'ed at them.

They ended up not buying one and bought a jeep instead.  I just thought it was funny.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:34:06 AM EDT
[#11]
ACOGS are expensive.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Only when I keep buying things.

Which is basically, always.

I can save pretty good for something I want really bad.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:22:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm sure I'm not alone here but do you find it difficult to save money? For me at least right now I am in a pretty good situation as in I have basic bills, no kids etc to worry about. I do live paycheck to paycheck but seems like a lot do. The issue has always been saving money. What ends up happening 9 times out of 10 is when I actually start gaining on a good savings something ends up happening and I'm right back to square one. Another thing I've always hated was the idea of having a credit card......I despise credit cards but in this world it seems like you have to have one..

I am 29 so I have many years ahead of me the financial aspect of life is something I am still learning every day.
So I pass the question on....Do you find it hard to save in this day and age?
View Quote

That right there nails it for me. I'm only 23 and I'd like to someday have enough set aside that life's little surprises won't eff me so hard. Like you, I know I have time on my side and I try to make every negative experience a learning point in some way. Just last week I was considering ordering my first suppressor and BAM life happens . I want to get over the hump and be able to simply roll with it and carry on. Finishing school would sure help a lot
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No problem saving here.

My wife and I both max out our 401k accounts and our HSAs.
We also send monthly 2x/month to our investment accounts.
View Quote

I bet you make a shitload more money than the Op
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes and I blame Palmetto State Armory.  Their specials are sucking my bank account empty.
View Quote

Same here. I think it's becoming a real problem. That new PA-10 has just about sent it over the top
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm sure I'm not alone here but do you find it difficult to save money? For me at least right now I am in a pretty good situation as in I have basic bills, no kids etc to worry about. I do live paycheck to paycheck but seems like a lot do. The issue has always been saving money. What ends up happening 9 times out of 10 is when I actually start gaining on a good savings something ends up happening and I'm right back to square one. Another thing I've always hated was the idea of having a credit card......I despise credit cards but in this world it seems like you have to have one..

I am 29 so I have many years ahead of me the financial aspect of life is something I am still learning every day.
View Quote

yes, i buy too much gun stuff

but hey, i'm in my mid 20's and need to get the collection going
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Put money where it can not be touched without a penalty. You will beme a miser with that money.

Or, you can keep doing the same shit over and over and expect a different result.

In before the next  "Look at the gun I bought" thread.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:56:54 AM EDT
[#18]
No. I have personal discipline. I live within my means, and if I can't. I work OT or get a second job.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:04:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I automatically save ~20% of my take home pay. 6% pre-tax goes to the 401k. Even with all the savings, plus bills, I still manage to accumulate a fair slush fun for whatever I want.  

ETA:

After savings, investments, and bills I manage to live off about 60% of whats left. End of the year puts a big dent in my funds paying out property/income taxes (no escrow).
View Quote

While it sucks that the remaining goes to taxes, it seems like you have it pretty good. Your situation is kind of hard to achieve right now. I was a single full time father of three an sole provider for two years as a sub-contractor...no bennies. After I met my fiance I work part time out of the house, she is a full time teacher. Things are pretty tight between the five of us. Tighter than I am used to. I'm not so much finding it harder to save as I have learned to operate in saving mode, I am finding it harder to make more and move up.

fyi 5 person houshold on 45k/year. No thrift stores for kids clothes....no welfare....three vehicles, three bedroom house and less than 10% annual income in debt between her and I. Thinking back on it not sure how we managed but finding ways to save hasn't been our main object of financial stress...it's been finding ways to make more.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:05:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Ain't no money to save.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:06:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm PSA's bitch.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:12:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Put money where it can not be touched without a penalty. You will beme a miser with that money.

Or, you can keep doing the same shit over and over and expect a different result.

In before the next  "Look at the gun I bought" thread.
View Quote
In all truth I've been very selective on what I buy....Also again most of my purchases come from selling stuff out of the various collections. My big purchase of the year was done through selling something else.
1.Russian PLO capture AKM (Paid for by selling a matching STG58 FAL build)

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I knew I wasn't human. I find it very easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. Nature of being human.

I knew I wasn't human. I find it very easy.

Marry me!  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't know of any "messiahs" of money out there who are 100% all of the time for all people and all situations.  Do you?  Most of the critical stuff is pretty sad, actually... I can poke holes in most I have seen as it is poorly researched and terribly biased without actually understand what he states.  Other than his investment advice for those who already have a solid handle on their finances, and investments... you can make a solid argument against and I'd agree with that.

When it comes to the actual content of THIS THREAD... which is the topic of saving money, of which we are actually talking about here.... he is spot on.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you agree that he has good points and bad points.

I have issues with his approach towards debt. But let's not derail. People should just do their research before drinking the coolaid.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have issues with his approach towards debt. But let's not derail. People should just do their research before drinking the coolaid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love his approach or hate it, he is successful because it is effective. I based my debt system mostly on what he teaches and tweaked it for what worked best for me. It got me out of debt and into a house of my own in a short period of time. You don't need to follow his program to a T, I didn't and I still made it work. I know others who have as well.

When we live in a world where 90% of us don't know our ass from a hole in the wall when it comes to finances or proper budgeting and more than half are living paycheck to paycheck I find it very hard to take anyone who slanders a working system seriously. When anyone bad mouthing him can show me they are debt free, successful in finance and is willing to help others become the same (regardless of whether or not they are selling that service) and have a better way to do so, then and only then would I give a single fuck about their opinion on the matter.

When I want to become something I emulate anyone who is what I want to become. I seek financial advice from wealthy people, I don't give a shit what poor people have to say about wealth, if they knew what they were talking about they would be wealthy themselves.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Love his approach or hate it, he is successful because it is effective. I based my debt system mostly on what he teaches and tweaked it for what worked best for me. It got me out of debt and into a house of my own in a short period of time. You don't need to follow his program to a T, I didn't and I still made it work. I know others who have as well.

When we live in a world where 90% of us don't know our ass from a hole in the wall when it comes to finances or proper budgeting and more than half are living paycheck to paycheck I find it very hard to take anyone who slanders a working system seriously. When anyone bad mouthing him can show me they are debt free, successful in finance and is willing to help others become the same (regardless of whether or not they are selling that service) and have a better way to do so, then and only then would I give a single fuck about their opinion on the matter.

When I want to become something I emulate anyone who is what I want to become. I seek financial advice from wealthy people, I don't give a shit what poor people have to say about wealth, if they knew what they were talking about they would be wealthy themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I agree with some of the stuff Ramsey says and throw some of the other stuff right out the window.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. So you agree with me too, that he has his good points and his bad points.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#28]
At 35 I'm doing better than ever, getting my head on straight and going to college in my twenties was a great decision for me and my family.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I live paycheck to paycheck.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

How the hell do you rent a car or a hotel without a credit card??

Most of the places I see have signs up front stating that you must have a CC, even if you plan to pay in cash.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Things keep going up in price, but my wages don't change.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#32]
There's probably a formula somewhere that shows the more you save,  the more bored you are.
I hate being bored but once I figure out how to be bored, I'll probably start saving more.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

There's probably a formula somewhere that shows the more you save,  the more bored you are.

I hate being bored but once I figure out how to be bored, I'll probably start saving more.

View Quote

Some truth to that. I live a pretty damn boring life.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I swore I'd put away $10k extra this year, and I'm falling below that mark.

I like to go out.  *shrug*

Looks like I dropped $1k at restaurants in the last 14 days, and I have an appointment with a Manhattan-based art/antiquities gallery on Thursday.

I'm way overbudget on art and antiques this year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Doing OK - surprisingly. Retired a year ago this month. Took about a 30K yearly reduction in salary but am still putting $1500 a month in savings. Live a very simple lifestyle though. Much less complicated that way.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#36]
OP,

Start reading some books on economics and investing.    suggestions:   Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell, The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley, A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel.

Pay yourself first.    What that means is start a payroll deduction into a savings plan (IRA, 401K, retirement plan, whatever).     Once that money is in that investment, LEAVE IT THERE.   You need some mental toughness here.   Develop an investment plan and follow that plan.     Don't go dipping into it for every temporary reason - not for  home downpayments, not for car repairs, not for new roofs, not for vacations, etc.        This is the biggest single reason most people never manage to accumulate wealth.  

As Milton Friedman (if I recall correctly) said:  You can spend what is left after saving.    Or you can save what is left after spending.     One way works.   The other doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That right there nails it for me. I'm only 23 and I'd like to someday have enough set aside that life's little surprises won't eff me so hard. Like you, I know I have time on my side and I try to make every negative experience a learning point in some way. Just last week I was considering ordering my first suppressor and BAM life happens . I want to get over the hump and be able to simply roll with it and carry on. Finishing school would sure help a lot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You both need to get hold of a copy of Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" and study it. I'm not saying you need to become total Dave Ramsey drones but you could both benefit greatly from the mindset that he promotes. One of the first things is saving some emergency money to set aside for times "when life happens" you have money to cover it which you then immediately begin replacing. You absolutely need to set up a budget on paper so you can have a clear picture of where your money goes each month. The next thing you do is set aside 3-6 months of living expenses (bare bones) to help weather a catastrophe like losing a job. Then you begin to save for larger purchases and buy them when you can afford to pay for them, not every time someone will loan you money to "buy" whatever you want. We no longer have car payments. After the first car we paid cash for, we put away in savings the amount of a typical car payment each month. When it came time to buy another car, we just took the money out of savings and bought one. Only you and some careful thought and discipline will get you out of the living paycheck to paycheck cycle, no one else can or will do it for you. You can do this. I did, with 4 kids, me having an OK full time job, and the wife working part time while the kids were at school. We also managed to buy a house with a few acres in the country to live in and 155 acres of recreational property in SE OH. Saving to build a new house right now and hope to break ground in 2015.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#39]
One thing I would also recommend, sign up for a free account at mint.com.

It'll automatically categorize and sort your transactions, and with very little effort you'll be able to see JUST how much you're spending eating out, on hobbies, etc. For the person who can't stick to a budget or keep up with it, its perfect.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His approach towards debt is for people who historically haven't done a good job managing debt. Those who find him and latch on  to his principles normally come from the living paycheck to paycheck, too much month at the end of the money crowd, no matter what their level of income is. He's not talking to the minority of people who are good managing debt and their finances in general. They (and I assume you put yourself in that category) are NOT his target audience and don't need his advice to do well with their finances. Don't discourage people from trying to learn to do better with what they have. As Ramsey says, baby steps.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Of course, everything is twice as expensive as it used to be as well.   Gas, McDonald's, beer is all twice as expensive.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#42]
29 here, had a decent savings.  Then took the girl to Jamaica, and bought a ring...  Now its us funding our own wedding, and thinking about a honey moon...  after that it will be a house.   (all while attempting to pay off 40k in student loans)  

I've basically accepted that i'll be broke for a good while, and sadly that doesn't turn my brain off from drooling over toys I wont buy till things settle down... but no credit cards so that's a plus.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
He's good for broke people with no money, no fiscal discipline, and no working knowledge of debt leverage. I used to vehemently disagree with him on the whole life insurance issue, Then I realized his target market doesn't make enough to use the tax shelter aspects of it or even grasp the concept. He's a solid guy for people that can't help but burn their money.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since you're squarely where I was 6 years ago, I'll give you my experience.

I squandered a bunch of money in my 20s and never had a big savings account because I wanted to treat myself to nice things like guitars, camping equipment, guns, magazines, ammo, optics, etc.

As I'm looking back, my "investments" never turned into money in the bank except when I traded one of my guitars for a nice LMT rifle.

If I had been wiser in my 20s, I'd be debt free right now.

At 35.

No house payment.

Own my vehicles.

I repeat, no house payment.  No car payment.

This is coming from a guy who bought his first firearm in November 2006.  8 years later, I'm getting to a point where I've got AR build projects happening that will keep me busy through next summer.

Sometimes I look at them and I realize that I'm investing in them right now because stuff is cheap.  And when it becomes expensive again, goodbye mortgage.

After the house is paid for, it becomes rental property

If you're going to throw money toward "things" put it into used magazines and lowers right now.  I have no plan on actually using most of them---they're simply trade fodder.

Get in on some of the $13 mags from AIM and squirrel away about 100 to 200 of them.  And when perception changes at a national level, there's $2500 to $5000 you could conceivably make.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#45]
No...

At least 12% into 401K since about 1987, although I'm hearing 15% is now the new standard.
Always have an automatic payroll deduction into a savings account.

I have a pretty good savings; could survive for several years on liquid assets.

Home is paid for, cars are paid for...not bragging, just saying it's not a huge deal for me to save money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You can't take it with you when you die and you might as well spend it now while our dollar has some value.
View Quote

that works if you check out the day after your retirement party.

you may as well save and invest some and let it work for you until you need it for your Depends.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You can't take it with you when you die and you might as well spend it now while our dollar has some value.
View Quote

Um...are you going to work until you die? Or, change your party affiliation to D so you can get some of the .gub cheese when you're old?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#49]
I switched from a salary job to an hourly job.  Now I actually get paid for all my overtime.  Anything that is beyond the number I used to get for a normal check goes into the savings account.  I was not able to save for years.  Now I can.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Lol,    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol,    

His investment advice is overly simplified, and does not promote diversified portfolios. Expecting 12% returns from mutual funds is extremely exaggerated, and frankly unrealistic.

Otherwise, his plan for getting out of debt is spot on. I'm doing a modified version of this plan myself.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top