Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 9/28/2014 5:07:50 PM EDT
Facebook killer?

"When we started building Ello, we started with a few principles," said Budnitz. "The first is: no ads. A social network doesn't have to be complicated and it especially doesn't have to be that way if it doesn't have ads." He went on to say that when a network like Facebook shows ads, the advertiser is the customer, not you. "The thing that's being sold is the user," he said. http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/26/ello/
View Quote

Ello Manifesto

Your social network is owned by advertisers.

Every post you share, every friend you make, and every link you follow is tracked, recorded, and converted into data. Advertisers buy your data so they can show you more ads. You are the product that’s bought and sold.

We believe there is a better way. We believe in audacity. We believe in beauty, simplicity, and transparency. We believe that the people who make things and the people who use them should be in partnership.

We believe a social network can be a tool for empowerment. Not a tool to deceive, coerce, and manipulate — but a place to connect, create, and celebrate life.

You are not a product.
View Quote

I've got 4 invite codes. Go here to get codes http://ello.hostoi.com/ if this doesn't work ask for code in thread. Don't forget to add your user name here.

Once you get your code go to Ello.Co/join

Quoted:
TO SEARCH SOMEONES USERNAME, SUCH AS @brassmaster, FO TO THE "DISCOVER" TAB. WHERE IT SAYS "SEARCH", CLICK THAT FIELD AND TYPE IN THE USERNAME. IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY COME UP.

(let me know if that doesnt work. Ill try to figure it out)
View Quote

Will try to keep this updated.
Quoted:
@brassmaster
@1adam12
@13xx
@2areview
@wingmanchris
@bcv
@dduffer
@walkertexasranger
@socalexile
@Echo3_actual
@teamr2
@Rogi
@khadafy
@bradycampaign
@tabootar15
@drachek1
@eitek1
@danisgood
@tiger21bravo
@nikroft
@johnscarpawku
@noquietending
@kosmoc
@AdmiralFlotaCCCP
@Kalashnikov
@topknot
@se1911
@68injunhed
@madbaumer
@dunhillmc
@63expert
@azrider
@400north
@thegoatfather
@d233
@marchingorders
@lesterflatts
@born2lose76
@gunsn1nk
@Gromit-32
@iridium24
@Rad629
@sasquatch76
@overlordfat
@yakrat101
@Tomislav
@iikeporkchops
@deracing
@nchrism
@Thirsty247
@zambon1
@bigborear15
@undertoad
@krodah
@Rabbit556
@nophun
@industrialrobotix
@frayadjacent
@shung
@Kashtin
@surveyor3
@bulldog1967
@larifleman
@the_lion
@mt-catrancher
@mazeman
@jonoftehdead
@mudbug
@michaelarcane
@search8
@munzy
@hmann
@tjfallico
@johan_squatchman
@ellisofthewoods
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Facebook killer?

"When we started building Ello, we started with a few principles," said Budnitz. "The first is: no ads. A social network doesn't have to be complicated and it especially doesn't have to be that way if it doesn't have ads." He went on to say that when a network like Facebook shows ads, the advertiser is the customer, not you. "The thing that's being sold is the user," he said. http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/26/ello/
View Quote

Ello Manifesto

Every post you share, every friend you make, and every link you follow is tracked, recorded, and converted into data. Advertisers buy your data so they can show you more ads. You are the product that’s bought and sold.

We believe there is a better way. We believe in audacity. We believe in beauty, simplicity, and transparency. We believe that the people who make things and the people who use them should be in partnership.

We believe a social network can be a tool for empowerment. Not a tool to deceive, coerce, and manipulate — but a place to connect, create, and celebrate life.

You are not a product.
View Quote

I've got 4 invite codes.
View Quote
I'll take one.  :)

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll take one if you dont mind. I already asked for an invite from them, I'm sure it would take a while.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
oh what the hell.in! ill take one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: I'll take one.  :)  
View Quote

Message box full.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
In! Want one pls.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If there's one left I'd love one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Q: How do they make money?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
No ads...for now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Send me one
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't want anything to do with anyone who uses a "Manifesto".
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Facebook killer?

View Quote

Ello Manifesto

You are not a product.
View Quote

I've got 4 invite codes.
View Quote

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Maybe we can get the 2A segment up and going right now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take one if someone has one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#13]
If anyone has a spare, I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Message box full.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: I'll take one.  :)  

Message box full.
Fixed.  Just realized that my membership on this site lapsed.  Oops.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Q: How do they make money?
View Quote

Commies or not, somebody's gotta pay the power bill.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Those went quick but each new person that joins gets 5 new codes, so spread the love.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I wont be surprised if Facebook becomes the new Myspace. It seems every 4 or 5 years, everyone transitions to a new social network.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Funded by venture capitalists.  Yeah, they don't want their money back or anything.

It's a matter of time before your information is sold to whoever wants to buy it, just like Facebook.  Anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar.
View Quote

I just want to establish a presence there for my band. If it's going to be the next big thing, I'd rather be an early adopter than a late bloomer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#20]
how do we sign up?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Got it, thanks!

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#22]
in for code.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
how do we sign up?
View Quote

once you get a code go to ello.co/join

Its still in beta so not all of the features are working or implemented yet but sounds like its going to be pretty nice when its all done.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll do it if facebooks death is assured
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Funded by venture capitalists.  Yeah, they don't want their money back or anything.

It's a matter of time before your information is sold to whoever wants to buy it, just like Facebook.  Anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar.
View Quote

Not necessarily. They may just charge a small fee. Like ARFCOM. That would be a lot better than FB.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not necessarily. They may just charge a small fee. Like ARFCOM. That would be a lot better than FB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is what they are doing I believe. Premium features will have a small cost attached to them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Facebook killer?

Ello Manifesto

You are not a product.

I've got 4 invite codes.

me too, if you would like to share
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd take a code if someone has one

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#29]
ok i got it. i have 5 invites availble
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

ok i got it. i have 5 invites availble

View Quote
PWEASE

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got 5 too, pm me if you want one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I would appreciate an invite code if anybody has one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#33]
PM me if you want one, i got 5

All out. That was quick. Send em to your 2A buddies, needs more gun pron and less artsy fartsy
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Which is what they are doing I believe. Premium features will have a small cost attached to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense. Even at $1/month a site with a large user base will make a good bit of money. And who is going to miss a whole buck a month?

Right now it's free and invite only to build some hype and control the growth of the site while they work out any bugs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#35]
People are publishing invite codes here: https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=ello%20invite%20code&src=typd

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll take one.

Thanks, that was fast.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll take one if anyone is feeling generous!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
PM me if you want one, i got 5
View Quote

inbound
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#39]
If it's the death of Facebook, like somebody said above, I'll take one to check it out. Thanks in advance to whomever hooks it up.

ETA Got one, thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#40]
       I'll take a code if someone gets a spare.

Got one. Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I will take one please.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll take one if anyone has one to give.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Show me some love.  I hate FB and shit-canned my acct. about 2 or 3 yrs ago. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Help a homie out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I would not mind one if anyone wants to give one up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll take one  if someone is willing.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd like a code if you have one to spare.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I would be grateful if someone sent me a code.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I got helped out by the good members of arfcom
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll sign up if you send me a code,  and edit this post to indicate I've received one when I have.

EDIT:  I'm good, thanks.  I didn't actually receive a code, but I'm leaving the PC and don't want to come back to an inbox full of codes I have to give away like unwanted puppies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top