Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet OP is one of those people who feels like it's their job to make sure everyone goes slow enough on the road. If you feel you're in danger, pull onto the shoulder and let the guy past. We do it all the time in TX as a courtesy to someone behind us. If there's no shoulder, turn off and wait for the sweat to dry off the wheel for a little bit. Maybe take a walk to calm down for a minute.

INTP here. Not a "type A"
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best thing I have found is get the hell out of their way and let them hit someone else.

As crazy as some are these days, I see no reason to elevate a situation to something I might regret later.

This.

yep
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
PSA to all the yankee fucks down here:

Florida is a no fault state.  When my truck smashes your brake checking ass into next week your insurance will be paying to fix your corvette, not mine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just get the fuck out of the way. Why is this so difficult??
View Quote

Some people are just 'tarded?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Florida is a no fault state.  When my truck smashes your brake checking ass into next week your insurance will be paying to fix your corvette, not mine.
View Quote

The ever-increasing number of video-equipped cars may mean huge losses in civil court when the guy you hit shows you'd been following dangerously close for several minutes despite opportunities to pass. That could get kinda pricey. It's best to adopt a "live and let live" attitude when driving. Don't get angry. Don't fight. Don't retaliate. Just get where you're going in the safest, least confrontational way possible.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]

I came to post that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO, people who bitch about "tail gaters" are self righteous "Boy Scouts" that are some of the most dangerous people on the road. The left lane is for passing and if you are "cruising" in the passing lane, then you are wrong. So instead of being apologetic about violating the rules of the road and resolving to drive more carefully in the future you come here to discuss passive aggressive ways to potentially cause death/gross bodily harm to other drivers who are simply trying to circumnavigate your mobile-psychosis. And here happens to be a forum dedicated to firearms, which leads me to believe you might have guns. That's absolutely terrifying to me.

The times I've been "tail gated", I was in the passing lane when I shouldn't have been. I felt bad for not following the rules of the road and accelerated to get out of the way as quickly/safely as possible-for I was in the wrong. I've never considered a pre-meditated "brake check" or attempting to block another drivers view as both actions could kill somebody. "Well officer, I felt like he was tail gating me, so I deliberately obscured his view so when he went to pass me because I'm a sociopath, he probably didn't see that school bus he hit head on".  If I was on a two lane highway and I felt like I was being "tail gated" on a two lane, I would pull over and yield the road.

then again, I don't have a tiny prick and I'm not a sociopath so YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How bout get in the other lane? That one works pretty much every time.
View Quote
Into oncoming traffic?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It amazes me the amount of inept drivers out there in the far left lane trying to control the flow of traffic as though they own the road. Compensating for something me thinks. Or looking for a confrontation.
View Quote
 You people realize that there are actually roads that aren't divided highways, right?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank You OP, and all the other self appointed regulators of speed.
Say it with me. Fifty five is the speed we drive, because we want to stay alive.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So inviting them to hit you is a sound tactic?

Personally I would rather just avoid having an asshole rear end me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I am with the rest of you on the idiots who camp out in the fast lane and refuse to move over. I am talking about the Type A personalities that think everyone is in their way. Doesn't matter about the traffic conditions, weather or anything. If your in their way, in their mind they have every right to do whatever is necessary to move you.

So inviting them to hit you is a sound tactic?

Personally I would rather just avoid having an asshole rear end me.

Stop speaking logically.  They Internet isn't for people like you.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Plan D?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If those two steps don't work, I go to Plan D.

Plan D?

Plan Dick.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
on a highway with a passing lane (left lane) and a right lane MOVE THE FUCK OVER AND LET THEM BY.

it's easier, and if there's nobody in front of you, that is what you are supposed to do anyway.

Playing passive aggressive games on the road is 1/2 of the reason for the problem.  The tail-gating person is 1/2 (unless there is a traffic jam, and there's no way they can go faster even if you let them by) in normal traffic conditions.  The slow fucktard in the left lane that refuses to let anyone around them is the other 1/2.  

If I'm on a one lane road (one lane each direction), I will find a safe spot to pull off and let them around. It gets rid of the problem, and it is less likely to lead to "issues."
View Quote

I've been on some long road trips this summer, and there were times like this, like up in mountainous roads, where you had to wait for a turnout.

I am scrupulous about turning out to let faster traffic pass when I've got a "tail" behind me on a mountain road. I HATE having a tail. I almost get into a panic, desperate to find a place to pull over and let them pass. It's not like I don't give a damn. Nothing is worse than some asshole who mopes along on a mountain road, while a bunch of cars are crawling along behind him.

But some douchebags have no patience and will start tailgating immediately, on a two-lane road, regardless.

I got a speeding ticket (my first ever) while on vacation this summer, and by damn I made sure I didn't go over the speed limit for the rest of the trip. I did always get in the right lane, or pulled over as soon as I found a turnout. If someone had a problem with me going the speed limit, they could go suck it. I always was as considerate as humanly possible, without risking another speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong.  No fault applies to medical only.

Edit:  Which is why you have to carry PIP (Personal Injury Protection) insurance.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I dealt with a tailgater today on the freeway while doing 70 in a 60.

I moved to the right.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do that, and still get tailgated. Some people are just assholes. Petulant whiney hissy-fit children, operating a potentially dangerous motor vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find that going at least the posted speed limit and getting in the right lane when I am not passing helps a lot.
I do that, and still get tailgated. Some people are just assholes. Petulant whiney hissy-fit children, operating a potentially dangerous motor vehicle.

And this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#17]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I just roll coal on them. They seem to back off pretty quick.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I find that going at least the posted speed limit and getting in the right lane when I am not passing helps a lot.

I always go 5 over the limit and still get tailgated.  I always just keep slowing down until they pass me or back up to a safe distance.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I think there is some link between the breakdown in driver etiquette and the breakdown in society. When the self absorbed fuckwit to normal person ration hits a certain limit its all over folks. I dont live in America, i couldnt tell you how it is, but hearing stories about how it is on your roads says to me that something is amiss in the US.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looks like we have a few Type A's already in this thread.

View Quote

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think there is some link between the breakdown in driver etiquette and the breakdown in society. When the self absorbed fuckwit to normal person ration hits a certain limit its all over folks. I dont live in America, i couldnt tell you how it is, but hearing stories about how it is on your roads says to me that something is amiss in the US.
View Quote

It's been around for a long time. Hell Walt Disney did a cartoon in the 60's with Donald Duck going full retard like the OP towing his trailer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By riverghost:

Marbles out the window work well just sayn
View Quote
and ball bearings

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
and ball bearings

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By riverghost:
Marbles out the window work well just sayn
and ball bearings

Brings back some childhood memories for me.

We would go to the local golf course and search all the adjacent bushes and find dozens of lost balls. We would then pile in the Olds Vista Cruiser station wagon and ride in the tail gunner position with the window down.

You know how many times a golf ball will bounce under a car when it is tossed just in front of it? Lots!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey man you know I'm really okay
The gun in my hand will tell you the same
But when I'm in my car
Don't give me no crap
Cause the slightest thing and I just might snap
When I go driving I stay in my lane
But getting cut off makes me insane
I open the glove box
Reach inside
I'm gonna wreck this fucker's ride
I guess I got a bad habit
And it ain't goin' away Yeah
Well they say the road's a dangerous place
If you flip me off I'm the danger you'll face
You drive on my ass
You're foot's on the gas
And your next breath is your last
Drivers are rude
Such attitudes
But when I show my piece
Complaints cease
Something's odd
I feel like I'm God
You stupid dumbshit goddam motherfucker
I open the glove box
Reach inside
I'm gonna wreck this fucker's ride
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Tailgating isn't an issue when you drive a farm truck
Always wanted to take the work truck back to NYC when my wife goes to visit family.
It would be so much fun driving around Manhattan in the farm truck.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Thank You OP, and all the other self appointed regulators of speed.

Say it with me. Fifty five is the speed we drive, because we want to stay alive.

View Quote
The irony is dense enough to float a neutron star.

"Get out of my way you selfish asshole! I want to go faster!"

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#30]
You can't "cure" other people's mental or emotional problems, all you can do is get out of their way so you don't become more involved with them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The ever-increasing number of video-equipped cars may mean huge losses in civil court when the guy you hit shows you'd been following dangerously close for several minutes despite opportunities to pass. That could get kinda pricey. It's best to adopt a "live and let live" attitude when driving. Don't get angry. Don't fight. Don't retaliate. Just get where you're going in the safest, least confrontational way possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of us are complaining that the slow moving car in the left lane is eliminating all opportunities to pass.

Around here that's the only time you get stuck behind these dicks, typically with a mile or two of traffic behind you.

45 in the passing lane of a 6 lane 60mph road is unacceptable.  Brake checking in that circumstance is asking to get run over.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#32]
i keep hearing " get out of the left lane"... but what about the dumbasses that tailgate you 5 feet from your bumper, @ 60 in a 55mph...... when its a two lane country road? fuck those guys. everyone drives like they are snake bit, and heading to the emergency room.

ill put my driving record up against anyones. people drive like assholes.

i typically drive 2-3 mph over the limit around here on the two lane roads. if i get a tailgater, ( really close),  i will just slow down as long as they are still on my ass... they can tailgate me at 30-40 mph all the way to town if 58mph is too slow for them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Some of you guys have some fucking issues.

OP, if you are all alone in that left hand lane and people are up your ass, maybe it's time you move to the right lane and follow that whole "slower traffic stay right" train of thought.  

If you aren't the only one in the left lane and you're stuck behind someone in front of you, then let the tailgaters do what they do.  The only thing you have to be worried about is them rear ending you because they were following too closely.  

Your way to fix it is to brake check?  About the only surefire thing you could do that INCREASES your likelihood of being rear ended?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some douchebag willing to endanger himself and my family just because he wants to drive fast---fuck that motherfucker.
Drive like a normal fucking person or take the fucking bus.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused,  are you saying your mom's medical issues cause her to tailgate?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Some douchebag willing to endanger himself and my family just because he wants to drive fast---fuck that motherfucker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were worried about your family, you'd do the smart thing and get over if you aren't passing.  You're half the problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Edit:  Which is why you have to carry PIP (Personal Injury Protection) insurance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While you are technically correct, the state limits liability of property damage to $10k so unless they are driving a cheap car their insurance will be paying for their vehicle. Especially the $100k sports cars the bluehairs around here like to clog the left lane with.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They fall for it every time.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Tailgaters are scum of the earth and should choke themselves.  Left lane sitters are scum of the earth and should also choke themselves.

I'll do the speed limit on two-lane, but tailgaters can all kiss my ass on any kind of four-lane.  Go the fuck around, Dipshits.

Not all tailgaters are behind people sitting in the left lane.  Many tailgaters do it to people doing the speed limit in the right lane, even when there is room to go around.  They usually pass when you slow down even 1mph.  However, some don't get the hint and tailgate for no apparent reason. For them, I call Open Season, Any Method.  If I'm doing the speed limit and can't see your headlights...you're about to get your wake up call.

I usually slow down gradually until they go around. That works about 99.5% of the time.  They are impatient people and will move on to tailgate their way to their destination.

As my favorite uncle used to say, "There are only two types of drivers that I can't stand...Those in front of me, and those behind me."

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Any idea what that .gif is from? I get a chuckle out of seeing it every time it's posted. :)
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#42]
"tailgaters are dangerous"

Brake checking someone going down the interstate possibly causing a pileup is not dangerous? Get out of my way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#43]
If you can't drive a reasonable speed for the conditions and speed limit, then get over to a different lane or pull over periodically to let people pass.

If the person in front of you is driving a reasonable speed for the conditions and speed limit, then you need to just fucking deal with it and not act like an ass.

If you are quite obviously the only person driving anywhere near the speed limit and you now have 30 people behind you, pull the fuck over and let them pass.   No point in leading around your own personal army of pissed off drivers.

Guys, this isn't rocket science.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I see this a lot on a country road I travel. Speed limits moves up and down from 35 mph to 45 mph and is patrolled for speeders. I usually go about five over and I have plenty of tailgaters on their cell phones riding me the whole trip until it pours out to a four lane.
They dont pay my speeding tickets so I try to stay close to the limit.
These people want to do 60 mph.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You realize this isn't always an option...I drive 99% of the time on curvy 2 lane roads with a tiny shoulder and I have people ride my ass even when I'm doing 15mph over the speed limit. I'm not driving on the tiny shoulder and grass where all the glass beer bottles are because some dumbass has to go 20mph over vs my 15, he can back the fuck off and wait till a passing zone when I'll slow down for a minute and let him pass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize this isn't always an option...I drive 99% of the time on curvy 2 lane roads with a tiny shoulder and I have people ride my ass even when I'm doing 15mph over the speed limit. I'm not driving on the tiny shoulder and grass where all the glass beer bottles are because some dumbass has to go 20mph over vs my 15, he can back the fuck off and wait till a passing zone when I'll slow down for a minute and let him pass.

This.  All you SoCal folks should be familiar with the Ortega Hwy between SJC and Elsinore.
Same shit, except I'm in a Nissan PU and Mr Porsche Asshole is behind me.
No place to pass, my first foray through the gravel he may have thought was an accident.
The second, longer run was obviouly not.   Oh now he mad..
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I had a great one on I-15 on the Idaho Utah border.  I'm driving the '49 Plymouth going 55 in the right lane.  Guy comes up behind me doing 80-85.  That's normal since it's a 75 zone.  Instead of changing lanes he brakes hard and then proceeds to tailgate me close while talking on his phone.  We are the only people on the road.  After a few minutes I signal and pull into the left lane.  He instantly accelerates back up to speed as soon as my car isn't in front of him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#49]
"Move over to the right lane." Yeah, that works if you are being an asshole in the first place by cruising in the passing lane. Douchebags here love tailgating people in the right lane, two-lane highway, or two-lane country road. I'm not pulling off to the side of the road because the same douches toss their glass bottles there. If they want to tailgate, then I'm slowing down to the posted speed limit or 5 under and we'll take the scenic route.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Marbles out the window work well  just sayn
View Quote

Rusty washers out the sunroof might work....

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top