Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 9/27/2014 12:52:44 PM EDT
I have seen quite a few threads on this scourge of society.

Tailgaters are just as dangerous as someone going too slow.

We all have our stories but I want quick fixes to this problem only in this thread. I will go first.

1)  Moving my vehicle as far left as possible in my lane seems to block the vision of the tailgater behind me and 70% of the time they back off.

2)  If nothing else works, I will do a brake check using the vehicle in front of me. I will wait for them to turn or come to a stop and wait until the last second to hit my brakes. Reason for this is it isn't perceived as an  "intentional brake check".

Everyone has seen events get out of control when the tailgatee brake checks the tailgater. Roadrage ensues and that is dangerous for everyone on the road at that point. My way of creating an emergency situation where I have to do an emergency stop lets the idiot tailgater behind me better understand  the dangers and possible results of following too closely.

If those two steps don't work, I go to Plan D.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get the fuck out of the way. Why is this so difficult??
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The windshield washers on our Explorer spray over the top of the vehicle at highway speeds. I just use that to back em off, unless it's raining, then I slow down and force em to pass.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The best thing I have found is get the hell out of their way and let them hit someone else.

As crazy as some are these days, I see no reason to elevate a situation to something I might regret later.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
20,000 lumens worth of led lights facing back on my bumper.

Illegal?  LOL wgaf
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Put on a set of truck nuts to assert your dominance
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I just pull over and let them go by. Works every time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best thing I have found is get the hell out of their way and let them hit someone else.

As crazy as some are these days, I see no reason to elevate a situation to something I might regret later.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I get over in the right hand lane just before a speed trap

Then watch them go whizzing by angered into the speed trap

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
NVM
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
NVMx2
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
How bout get in the other lane? That one works pretty much every time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Marbles out the window work well  just sayn
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We all have our stories but I want quick fixes to this problem only in this thread. I will go first.

1)  Moving my vehicle as far left as possible in my lane seems to block the vision of the tailgater behind me and 70% of the time they back off.

2)  If nothing else works, I will do a brake check using the vehicle in front of me. I will wait for them to turn or come to a stop and wait until the last second to hit my brakes. Reason for this is it isn't perceived as an  "intentional brake check".

Everyone has seen events get out of control when the tailgatee brake checks the tailgater. Roadrage ensues and that is dangerous for everyone on the road at that point. My way of creating an emergency situation where I have to do an emergency stop lets the idiot tailgater behind me better understand  the dangers and possible results of following too closely.

View Quote

So this is what those idiots, who can't drive, think to themselves when they're driving too slow for traffic?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Having a tire blow on the trailer usually put a stop to any tailgaters I had following me.  Hopefully on the occasions it happened, they learned a lesson about the hazards of tailgating.

There's on idiot in CT who may still be cleaning crap out of his/her underwear after one particularly violent tire explosion on I-95 a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
They'll never admit that following at an unsafe distance is, well, unsafe.

Special little snowflakes in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]

but don't really do this
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#18]
How  about "quit driving like a ninny bitch/GTFO of the way"? OP is guaranteed to have handicap tags, a stack of phone books on the driver's seat to see over the wheel, and a vagina

Ride the rumble strip. Windshield full of gravel for those following too close.

ETA -
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I find that going at least the posted speed limit and getting in the right lane when I am not passing helps a lot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the guy who will change lanes with someone trying to pass, blocking their way, in this thread yet?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Here ya go.  Mystery solved.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]

I forgot this is GD and you have to explain everything in detail.

In some cases you can't get out of the way.

Two lane roads and heavy interstate traffic are but two examples where you can't just "get out of the way".

I am with the rest of you on the idiots who camp out in the fast lane and refuse to move over. I am talking about the Type A personalities that think everyone is in their way. Doesn't matter about the traffic conditions, weather or anything. If your in their way, in their mind they have every right to do whatever is necessary to move you.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. Please just pull over a bit and let me pass.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

If there is no one in front of you, you're the problem gramps.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I forgot this is GD and you have to explain everything in detail.

In some cases you can't get out of the way.

Two lane roads and heavy interstate traffic are but two examples where you can't just "get out of the way".

I am with the rest of you on the idiots who camp out in the fast lane and refuse to move over. I am talking about the Type A personalities that think everyone is in their way. Doesn't matter about the traffic conditions, weather or anything. If your in their way, in their mind they have every right to do whatever is necessary to move you.

View Quote

The bolded text is largely due to people who don't move over for faster traffic.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Ha!  Came here to post this!

Well played.

I salute you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Marbles out the window work well  just sayn
View Quote

Yeah sure it does.  If someone beaned my car with a marble. I seriously hope they have more gas in the tank than I do.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#30]
on a highway with a passing lane (left lane) and a right lane MOVE THE FUCK OVER AND LET THEM BY.

it's easier, and if there's nobody in front of you, that is what you are supposed to do anyway.

Playing passive aggressive games on the road is 1/2 of the reason for the problem.  The tail-gating person is 1/2 (unless there is a traffic jam, and there's no way they can go faster even if you let them by) in normal traffic conditions.  The slow fucktard in the left lane that refuses to let anyone around them is the other 1/2.  

If I'm on a one lane road (one lane each direction), I will find a safe spot to pull off and let them around.  It gets rid of the problem, and it is less likely to lead to "issues."
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Looks like we have a few Type A's already in this thread.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I drive at or slightly above the posted speed limit, and I have never had an issue with tailgaters.

On the occasions that someone is close to my bumper, I really don't care...it's not a big deal, if I have to stop fast, they will hit me and it will be their fault. If I don't have to stop fast, nothing happens. I am not going to brake check them....it seems kind of retarded to make them do the one thing you are worried about them doing.

I have been with people who were pulling heavy loads, and going slowly...they just pull over and let other drivers by. They had no reason to try to establish their ownership to that portion of roadway.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly. Move to the right lane, Driving 101.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously, how hard is it to move over.  Just like how hard is it to go around...

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I move over to the shoulder.   But only when it is safe to do so.   If it's not safe to do so, I'll be reducing my speed so that the guy riding my bumper behind me will have a better chance of stopping before hitting me in case I have to make an emergency stop.

I won't do anything unsafe for the sake of another driver's convenience.   If he doesn't like that, tough tits.

Oh, and "brake checking" is stupid.  It is a great way to get rear-ended.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah that's it.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gaskets poppin'.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this.  

If the OP is not getting out of the way, then I'll get a little closer, but far enough back to stop.  If he still doesn't move, then he'll see my lights flash.  If he's passing, but going slower than I want to go, then I'm OK with that and won't see my lights (so long as he gets over eventually).

ETA: Saw that OP gets out of the way.  Then yes, people who ride your ass when you can't do much about moving over suck.   I usually do a light brake tap to get the brake light to activate.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI!!!! Get the fuck out of the way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

As usual, first post and all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Change lanes

Let douche cunt go by

Problem solved

Why you mad though???

Don't invite the man into your life

Officer friendly will be tired of your shit excuses before he even approaches

What round for tailgaters?

Type A vs. Crazier than a shithouse rat

Get both

Beans

There, I think we got it covered now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I honestly think there are some tailgaters that just don't know what a safe following distance is.  I remember the "two second rule" from driver's ed in h.s., but often wonder if they teach that anymore, or if people just ignore it.

On my drive home from work last night (about 15 miles on 2 line highway) I had someone so close to my bumper I couldn't see their headlights.  I typically set my cruise control at 59mph on this road (55mph limit) so was by no means going slow.  There were plenty of passing opportunities and I made sure I was to the right edge to give them room to see to pass.  The person never passed, never appeared to make any gestures at me to move over, get out of the way etc.

I really just think the other driver didn't understand what a safe following distance was.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#46]
The last tailgater that bothered me was several months ago. I was doing the speed limit with the cruise set, driving in the right lane and some chick in an Explorer was up my ass with her high beams on.

I gradually slowed down to 15mph and STILL had to stick my arm out the window and wave her by to get her to pass me. This is on a 70mph highway.

I didn't retaliate with my horn, high beams, or middle finger. I was just happy to have the person out of my existence. (No, flipping my rear view didn't solve the problem very well)
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#47]
How about GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY!!!

OP What’s sad is you think you’re in the right.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

That is a really dumb way to hide your road rage issue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just pull over and let them go by. Works every time.
View Quote

Yeah, but you can't best them in vehicular combat that way.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top