Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#1]
And now I have a polandball image for your viewing pleasure.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

He's trying to explain it from a point of view that very few people have. Not bashing her, not being jealous of her success, just trying to put in in perspective for the rest of us that don't know our ass from our elbow on the subject.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]
She's as much of a virtuoso as I expect a dancing pop-violinist to be.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Wife and I met her in Denver once.

Super cool chick.  Puts on a great, high-energy show.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thread reminds me of arfcommandos telling pat rodgers he was doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let me see if I can explain this in a way you can comprehend.  I don't mean that to belittle you, it's just a very nebulous thing to try and explain.  When playing a violin there are very specific techniques used to play the required notes in a clear and concise manner; the wrist has to be in very specific spots and specific times, pressure applied to strings in specific ways in a specific sequence, the bow has to be at specific angles and in a specific position and very specific pressure applied in very specific sequences.  I'm familiar enough with the instrument and how it's played that I can look at things like her neck, chin, hands, wrists and where they are positioned and how she is moving them to create a sort of audio picture of what she's doing correlated with what I am hearing.  The basic conflict is that the various dance moves she does and the necessary movements to balance herself and perform these maneuvers does not preclude  the above mentioned very necessary techniques she needs to be using to make her playing sound good.  These techniques are grounded in basic physics and are fundamentally necessary and no amount of raw talent will never ever circumvent that.  Any mistakes you heard in the audio of her performance are in all probability not intentional in the sense that they were artificially re-introduced into a recording but are in fact the result of a state of "incorrectableness" of the mistakes she made in the original recording and were deemed acceptable for a synced recording to a live  performance.
View Quote

AKA she's so bad a violin- worse than average - she's the worst ever- that she can't even play her own songs without screwing up. Got it.

Also, it's not pop music, and comparing her to Miley Cyrus is pretty pathetic; they are nothing alike.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Also, it's not pop music, and comparing her to Miley Cyrus is pretty pathetic; they are nothing alike.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:snip

Plain girls who adopted eccentric methods in order to gain a larger audience and set themselves apart from their contemporaries?  

Yea... nothing alike...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yea... nothing alike...

View Quote

I like one and not the other, therefore they have nothing in common
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's clear to me you have zero understanding of the fundamentals of music.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just like its clear to me your chosen profession in musicdom has lead you to a very successful career in barista-ing. I dont have to be able to pick out a half flat whatever from a sharp half step bullshit, whatever I dont care note; to like a song. Most of the music I like it actually punk. Which takes all of almost no skill to play, seeing as how I can read tab and instantly play any of my favorite songs. You violin dbags are making it pretty clear that someone else's success is like all of the sand in the gulf coast assaulting your panties at once.

My name, outofstep, comes from a punk band that probably only knew 3 basic chords. That didnt stop them from making awesome music. gasp!!!!! ohhh fucking no!!!! they weren't master vocalists or guitarists or percussionists!!!!! I should only like classical music or jazz or some bullshit because they have a better grasp of musical theory, or some other bullshit, tight pants wearing, hipster beard barista argument.  

Everyone knows she isnt some master violinist, get over yourself. People like it anyways.

Quoted:
So you agree she's just an entertainer.

Correct. She is an entertainer.

If I wanted to listen to some 1st chair fiddler, I wouldn't listen to her.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just like its clear to me your chosen profession in musicdom has lead you to a very successful career in barista-ing. I dont have to be able to pick out a half flat whatever from a sharp half step bullshit, whatever I dont care note; to like a song. Most of the music I like it actually punk. Which takes all of almost no skill to play, seeing as how I can read tab and instantly play any of my favorite songs. You violin dbags are making it pretty clear that someone else's success is like all of the sand in the gulf coast assaulting your panties at once.

My name, outofstep, comes from a punk band that probably only knew 3 basic chords. That didnt stop them from making awesome music. gasp!!!!! ohhh fucking no!!!! they weren't master vocalists or guitarists or percussionists!!!!! I should only like classical music or jazz or some bullshit because they have a better grasp of musical theory, or some other bullshit, tight pants wearing, hipster beard barista argument.  

Everyone knows she isnt some master violinist, get over yourself. People like it anyways.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You haven't understood a single thing I've said, for that I feel pity for you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't matter if you pity me; as long as my coffee is still hot and you dont get your hipster beard hairs in it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I enjoy listening to Ms. Stirling's music.  I also play the fiddle  (Bluegrass and Old Time and while I enjoy it I am a good ways away from others enjoying it I am afraid.)  However, over the last few years I have the chance to listen  to and meet some very good fiddlers/violinists.  Mark O'Connor, Michael Cleveland, Bobby Hicks, and Alison Kraus.  They all respect the music but all of realize that they are paid to entertain.   Anyone wqhou cannot grasp this is a narcissist more than a musician.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if you pity me; as long as my coffee is still hot and you dont get your hipster beard hairs in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, your boss would call me to fix your data center not make you coffee.  I would also bill your boss an obscene amount of money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Actually, your boss would call me to fix your data center not make you coffee.  I would also bill your boss an obscene amount of money.

Sweet Jesus....now we have pissing contest over a violin player...only in GD
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, see my above Polandball image for what I think of this whole mess.

White Knights and Black Knights be duking it out in here, yo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Not guilty.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you're an IT hipster instead of a coffee hipster.

Just make sure you dont bring Cheetos into the server room or make eye contact with the engineers. They are your betters and dont appreciate dealing with people that can take a two day course and become a CCNA, it "expert."

Though I suppose only being in IT gives you plenty of time to study half notes and allegro and shit, to allow you to determine what other people should listen to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just make sure you dont bring Cheetos into the server room or make eye contact with the engineers. They are your betters and dont appreciate dealing with people that can take a two day course and become a CCNA, it "expert."

Though I suppose only being in IT gives you plenty of time to study half notes and allegro and shit, to allow you to determine what other people should listen to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread is a perfect example of just how stupid GD can be, arguing over the stupidest shit.
Then again, if stuff like that never happened, I don't think there would be many people interested in coming to GD.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL this thread is typical of people trying to sound like they know what they are talking about when they are clearly outside of their lane.
It's hilarious to see people so entrenched in defending thier opinion against one that's more informed that they'll stoop to attacking professions...

Bad as yeager defenders...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This thread is a perfect example of just how stupid GD can be, arguing over the stupidest shit.

View Quote

No it isn't.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No it isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No it isn't.

lol

What you did there, I see it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it isn't.

lol

okay that is funny now..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LOL this thread is typical of people trying to sound like they know what they are talking about when they are clearly outside of their lane.

It's hilarious to see people so entrenched in defending thier opinion against one that's more informed that they'll stoop to attacking professions...

View Quote

I dont claim to know even the basics of fiddling. But crapping on someone else's musical taste is retardation of the highest degree. Its like smacking a hamburger out of someone's mouth and telling them they shouldnt have mustard on it. Its PURE personal taste. If you want to listen to Justin Beiber or to the Phil Harmonic, your choice. I cant pass judgement on taste or act like something that is intrinsically SUBJECTIVE can be judged as if it was objective. It is the height of helmet wearing waterhead retards.

Attacking professions though, I'll completely take ownership of that one. As an engineer I look down on everyone.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why would he want an audience of tone deaf tweens when he actually plays for people that know what they are listening to?

It's funny that you think your opinion is logical.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip
You only wish you could have an audience like this.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10378929_838136289551893_3865860352827166175_n.png?oh=e3e79ac9275bd9d65c7015d46b968a1a&oe=54B90367&__gda__=1421804813_36e5cf7005f06f7e2d33b66edf65152e

But since we have not seen any pictures , video, or proof. I call your stories of fame.

Why would he want an audience of tone deaf tweens when he actually plays for people that know what they are listening to?

It's funny that you think your opinion is logical.

Making music for tone deaf tweens pays better.  Ask me how I know.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I dont claim to know even the basics of fiddling.

Yet you argue with a person that does. That's known as "a fast way to lose an argument"

But c rapping on someone else's musical taste is retardation of the highest degree.

So is losing your mind on the internet about people comparing things to other things, or making critical assessments about htings

Its like smacking a hamburger out of someone's mouth and telling them they shouldnt have mustard on it.

No, no it's not.  

Its PURE personal taste. If you want to listen to Justin Beiber or to the Phil Harmonic, your choice. I cant pass judgement on taste or act like something that is intrinsically SUBJECTIVE can be judged as if it was objective.

Then the internet is PROBABLY not the place for you where differing opinions are discussed...

It is the height of helmet wearing waterhead retards.

Wow...  

Attacking professions though, I'll completely take ownership of that one. As an engineer I look down on everyone.

I love engineers, it's been my experience that engineers are typically the cause of change orders because "as designed" does not translate well into the real nuts and bolts world and makes a lot of people money... so thanks for that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet you argue with a person that does. That's known as "a fast way to lose an argument"

But c rapping on someone else's musical taste is retardation of the highest degree.

So is losing your mind on the internet about people comparing things to other things, or making critical assessments about htings

Its like smacking a hamburger out of someone's mouth and telling them they shouldnt have mustard on it.

No, no it's not.  

Its PURE personal taste. If you want to listen to Justin Beiber or to the Phil Harmonic, your choice. I cant pass judgement on taste or act like something that is intrinsically SUBJECTIVE can be judged as if it was objective.

Then the internet is PROBABLY not the place for you where differing opinions are discussed...

It is the height of helmet wearing waterhead retards.

Wow...  

I love engineers, it's been my experience that engineers are typically the cause of change orders because "as designed" does not translate well into the real nuts and bolts world and makes a lot of people money... so thanks for that.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I said from the beginning I'm not arguing over fiddling skill. I'm just calling all the fiddlers getting butthurt at people liking her, retards.

AKA you tried to thread a left handed bolt, rightways because you cant read a schematic. "godammed engineers fault!!1!!111"
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:49:25 AM EDT
[#29]
She's cute and entertaining.

Cape Breton fiddlers have been doing the dancing (step dancing) & fiddling thing for scores, if not hundreds, of years though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:51:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Just purchased both her CDs, awesome.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Cape Breton fiddlers have been doing the dancing (step dancing) & fiddling thing for scores, if not hundreds, of years though.
View Quote

I thought dude bro said that is totally impossible.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He should go to Nova Scotia and let them know.

ETA: Here's an old clip showing Natalie MacMaster dancing & fiddling.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you talking about the Simon Cowell clip where he says it's not impossible, just that she's not skilled enough to pull it off?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/HLz7gCddLW0

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/HLz7gCddLW0

ROFL.... hmmmm wanna guess what one of the fundamental differences is?

LOL or does the fact he feet are moving means she's dancing, so it's 100% exactly the same as Lindsy sterling!

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As part of your engineering education, was reading comprehension and communication not part of that or did you just kinda half ass your way through those classes?  I'm not sure how I can explain anything to you if you can't actually comprehend what I say.  Seriously, I'm at a loss.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#36]
This can only be settled by having her fight the accordion player from Turisas.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Whether she's a great violinist or not, it doesn't matter.  She's found a shtick that works for her.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This can only be settled by having her fight the accordion player from Turisas.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/06ac6bcb239613599f37cb0738a48c25/tumblr_mnebu1I5Cf1rj806xo1_500.jpg

View Quote

Or the hurdy gurdy player from Eluveitie.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]
There can be only one.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm curious about your opinion on two more violinists: Emilie Autumn and Hillary Hawn.

View Quote

isn't it Emilee?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No it isn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it isn't.

I could be arguing on my own time...
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
She's mediocre on her best day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Technically what she does is record mediocre violin, has audio engineers correct the fuck out of it, then they play it while she dances around on stage miming playing the afore mentioned song.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So all she does is dance around and play mediocre violin?

Technically what she does is record mediocre violin, has audio engineers correct the fuck out of it, then they play it while she dances around on stage miming playing the afore mentioned song.

She made it to the quarter finals of America's Got Talent, where they were live performances with no pre-recording. Don't think they allow people to come in with prerecorded, autocorrected tracks and pretend to play them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

According to him, yes it does. It also makes Milli Vanilli talented.

View Quote

They still have three AMA's...

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
She made it to the quarter finals of America's Got Talent, where they were live performances with no pre-recording. Don't think they allow people to come in with prerecorded, autocorrected tracks and pretend to play them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GREAT POINT!  Lets take a look at that and see what shakes out...

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/M2xL7D5lPAk

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shut that shit off the second I saw Piers Morgan.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread hasn't been locked yet?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that was the last performance where she got the criticism for slipping because she was trying too hard. There are multiple ones before that one that she nailed, which is why she got to the quarter finals.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes, that was the last performance where she got the criticism for slipping because she was trying too hard. There are multiple ones before that one that she nailed, which is why she got to the quarter finals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just like the fact that she's gone on to succeed in spite of Piers Morgan's opinion.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Weird.  I was hanging out with my lady friend earlier, and she was playing music by this chick.  Then I come here and see this thread.  I've never heard of her before today.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top