BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I enjoy her mix of music....I am simple I guess
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
She is very enjoyable, and a refreshing change of pace from most of the crap they pass as music now days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's mediocre on her best day.
View Quote

She is a wealthy and successful, "average" musician...

The truth... She is an incredibly successful, incredibly wealthy musician who is living the dream...

She decided one day to do what she loved, and she ended up becoming wealthy doing what she loved.

"Mediocre"-?-?

By "musician" standards, she probably would not be first-chair on a major top-shelf orchestra... But they probably envy the money she makes...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If the missionaries that came to my door looked like that, I might give them more time.
View Quote

She served a mission...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I once beat her out in a music festival in the Concerto division, so...yeah.
View Quote

And I am sure millions have paid to see you play...

She would probably not make first-chair on any top-shelf orchestra...

But... She would not be happy doing that.

She decided to do what made her happy... It also ended up making her extremely successful and wealthy...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I admire the self made social media entrepreneurs. In a time when the American dream is attacked by those sworn to defend it, people who defy the powers that be, and build their dream, are worthy of admiration.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Lindsey puts on a good show, or at least has a team of people that put on a good show and just kinda stick her face on it.  As an actual violinist she's pretty bleh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to be a real music snob and then one day I realized that the problem was me.

There are musicians and there are entertainers. Eric Johnson can play the hell out of his guitar, but on stage, he's pretty boring to watch. Kiss suck as musicians, but they put on one hell of a stage show.

I now just appreciate them both for who / what they are.

Exactly.  Lindsey puts on a good show, or at least has a team of people that put on a good show and just kinda stick her face on it.  As an actual violinist she's pretty bleh.

I'm curious about your opinion on two more violinists: Emilie Autumn and Hillary Hawn.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The music is not my thing but I can appreciate the talent.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

She decided to do what made her happy... It also ended up making her extremely successful and wealthy...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For someone with no dog in the fight, you sure get butthurt over her.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've played violin for over 25 years, and in my younger years some of that was professionally.  I actually knew of Lindsey Sterling long before her current music career.  She's probably the sweetest, nicest, most heartwarming girl ever to pick up a fiddle.  But, within the professional violin community she is in fact considered a mediocre player at best.  Her skills on a violin are quite decent when she's standing still and using proper technique and all that jazz.  But as soon as she starts moving around and doing her little dance thing, he abilities diminish significantly.  Granted the fact she can play AT ALL while dancing like that is somewhat impressive, but it's just novelty.  I've heard her play with and without the dancing and it's pretty painfully obvious to those of us who know a thing or two about fiddle playing.  All her show songs are pre-recorded and she plays along with no pickup feed, they're also heavily auto-tuned and corrected prior.  DRhodes and I have spoken of this before, back when more of her stuff was getting popular.  She's done a great job of crafting an image for herself, and she's got a very solid sound engineering team behind her as well as excellent composers writing her stuff for her, in fact he latest stuff has been the best so far.  That said, I do wish her all the luck in her career.
View Quote

yet another example of why this is the best site on the internet.

we have real experts in everything.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm curious about your opinion on two more violinists: Emilie Autumn and Hillary Hawn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to be a real music snob and then one day I realized that the problem was me.

There are musicians and there are entertainers. Eric Johnson can play the hell out of his guitar, but on stage, he's pretty boring to watch. Kiss suck as musicians, but they put on one hell of a stage show.

I'm assuming you're speaking of Hillary Hahn, who I'm actually quite familiar with.  My formal violin training was through the Suzuki Program and that's where Hahn started as well, and has been involved heavily with the program over the years.  I've actually met and performed with her on a couple of occasions.

Emilie Autumn on the other hand.....she is very very skilled and she put in a hell of a lot of work to gain that skill.  But she's insane.   Like, straight up mental issues.  I think the word is she's severely bi-polar, and I know she got kicked out of her college music program because of it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I like her music, listen to it quite often during my commute.  No idea as to her skill level, as I know nothing about violins.  I just know I enjoy what she puts together.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I enjoy Lindsey because it's entertaining, and I am not qualified to judge her on her actual music ability.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm assuming you're speaking of Hillary Hahn, who I'm actually quite familiar with.  My formal violin training was through the Suzuki Program and that's where Hahn started as well, and has been involved heavily with the program over the years.  I've actually met and performed with her on a couple of occasions.

Emilie Autumn on the other hand.....she is very very skilled and she put in a hell of a lot of work to gain that skill.  But she's insane.   Like, straight up mental issues.  I think the word is she's severely bi-polar, and I know she got kicked out of her college music program because of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your thoughts on David Garret?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
She's probably a blast to hang out with.  Even if her skills are considered mediocre by other professionals I am impressed that she was able to put together a successful career from it.  A lot of people don't get that far - you can be the best in the world at one thing and still fail.

There are certainly many worse things to listen to on the radio.

btw, there is no need to jump Enigma's shit over his opinion.  He rendered it respectfully and honestly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
She's probably a blast to hang out with.  Even if her skills are considered mediocre by other professionals I am impressed that she was able to put together a successful career from it.  A lot of people don't get that far - you can be the best in the world at one thing and still fail.

btw, there is no need to jump Enigma's shit over his opinion.  He rendered it respectfully and honestly.
View Quote

That's one of the fascinating things about pop music is that musical skill isn't actually required.  I've heard raw recordings of Brittney Spears, and she's in reality an absolutely horrible horrible singer.  All that's required is an excellent production team, and a good image and stage presence.  The rest is just marketing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this is GD...

My meters are calibrated... I think...

It was an interesting comment that the poster didn't think she was talented... But Lindsey ended up wildly wealthy and successful by doing things *her* way...

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another skilled violinist, Germans take their violin very seriously and he expressed very high skill at a very early age.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know this is GD...

It was an interesting comment that the poster didn't think she was talented... But Lindsey ended up wildly wealthy and successful by doing things *her* way...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this is GD...

Contrary to your world view, you don't need talent to be successful in pop music.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this is GD...

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Garrets cover of Kashmir got me hooked on him I was very impressed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's one of the fascinating things about pop music is that musical skill isn't actually required.  I've heard raw recordings of Brittney Spears, and she's in reality an absolutely horrible horrible singer.  All that's required is an excellent production team, and a good image and stage presence.  The rest is just marketing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's Linkin Park to a T. I loved them way back in the day and then heard a live show, and holy fuck Chester can't sing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've played violin for over 25 years, and in my younger years some of that was professionally.  I actually knew of Lindsey Sterling long before her current music career.  She's probably the sweetest, nicest, most heartwarming girl ever to pick up a fiddle.  But, within the professional violin community she is in fact considered a mediocre player at best.  Her skills on a violin are quite decent when she's standing still and using proper technique and all that jazz.  But as soon as she starts moving around and doing her little dance thing, he abilities diminish significantly.  Granted the fact she can play AT ALL while dancing like that is somewhat impressive, but it's just novelty.  I've heard her play with and without the dancing and it's pretty painfully obvious to those of us who know a thing or two about fiddle playing.  All her show songs are pre-recorded and she plays along with no pickup feed, they're also heavily auto-tuned and corrected prior.  DRhodes and I have spoken of this before, back when more of her stuff was getting popular.  She's done a great job of crafting an image for herself, and she's got a very solid sound engineering team behind her as well as excellent composers writing her stuff for her, in fact he latest stuff has been the best so far.  That said, I do wish her all the luck in her career.
View Quote

And there is the problem of classical music and the associated instruments poking up it's head. Too rigid and set in ways.

I don't give a damn about her technique or what the trained ear hears. I enjoy the finished product.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

She served a mission...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the missionaries that came to my door looked like that, I might give them more time.

She served a mission...

It's a joke man, I would show here the same courtesy I do everyone else. Besides, the girls don't go door to door. And I enjoy the hidden snicker when a kid with a cracking voice and acne introduces himself as "Elder"
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I enjoy Lindsey because it's entertaining, and I am not qualified to judge her on her actual music ability.
View Quote

Yes you are. Music starts at the artist, but it ends at YOUR ear. You are as qualified to judge it as the most accomplished composer at his or her peak.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife really likes her. She pops up on my Pandora Mt. Eden station.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And there is the problem of classical music and the associated instruments poking up it's head. Too rigid and set in ways.

I don't give a damn about her technique or what the trained ear hears. I enjoy the finished product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me put it this way.  It is LITERALLY impossible to play violin while doing what she does.  It CANNOT sound well because to dance and move and all that while she does it does not allow for the necessary position and technique needed to make playing of the violin sound good.  She does not "play" at her performances, it's pre-recorded and when it was recorded she was applying all the proper techniques necessary to make it sound good, or at least attempting to because honestly her base skill wasn't really that great.  What then happens after that is a sound engineering team goes through the raw recording and fixes all of that.  Then it gets played back while she's on stage and she does her gimmick of dancing about.  What's "out of the box" here is that the addition of the violin in a pop song show is different than the other pre-fabricated pop shows.  I'm not saying the finished product is bad, I'm just saying we need to be honest about what it really is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's a joke man, I would show here the same courtesy I do everyone else. Besides, the girls don't go door to door. And I enjoy the hidden snicker when a kid with a cracking voice and acne introduces himself as "Elder"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She served a mission...

The "sisters" in my mission went door to door... We had a handful of lookers. Course, we had a good number who had, er, um, 'great personalities.'

Yeah... We had a lady who was a member, and her husband wasn't. They had us over a lot. He was an old (amateur) Australian race car diver, and grumpy.

They were both very kind and generous.

He *refused* to call us "elder."

First time I met him he said, "I know it's against the rules to go by your first name, but better tell me yours, or I'll make up a nickname, and start to call you that."

He fixed our bikes, bought us food, and treated us well. And he saw how hard we worked at our missions..On my last dinner, he stammered, looked at the ground, and said, "You are a zit-faced teenager, and I will miss you Elder Juni."

I just think it is cool to know that even though now she has rock-star status... She once was once dealing with antagonists, knocking doors, and trying to teach folks...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not surprised!! I've had the fortune of being behind the scenes at a music recording studio here in Birmingham.  The amount of retakes, remixes and technical work required to make most of these people sound appealing is nothing short of amazing.  It's obvious that you're right on the money about sound engineering.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is Lindsey Stirling with PTX

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes you are. Music starts at the artist, but it ends at YOUR ear. You are as qualified to judge it as the most accomplished composer at his or her peak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I'm really not able to judge musical ability. I can say what I like but that doesn't say whether or not someone is a skilled musician.

I do enjoy Lindsey Sterling, watching and listening to her.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/ScDIkNcqZjE
View Quote

I enjoy both  Penatonix and Lindsey Sterling but not that video.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Contrary to your world view, you don't need talent to be successful in pop music.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this is GD...

Keep shitting all over this thread troll.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Keep shitting all over this thread troll.
View Quote

You should really read the rest of the thread..
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you can outplay/out preform her right?

I'm sure she's just not on your level man.  You're just on a different playing field.

And this is why you are so successful and she is not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#37]

How could you say no to that face...?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you can outplay/out preform her right?

I'm sure she's just not on your level man.  You're just on a different playing field.

Actually I'm pretty successful in the field I chose to go into.  So.....thanks?  I guess?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Nope.

Take me, baby.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#40]
What's really funny is all of the guys making inappropriate comments would make her feel really uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/ScDIkNcqZjE

It is there latest. This time with Lindsey. I dont know how many songs that she made with them.

It is in French/belgium. It is a Stromae cover of his song Papaoutai. It is about a boy being raised without his father. He watches the other kids with there father and keeps wanting his own father so he can be like him.

Also. Kristen Maldanado is freaken HOT!

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I like her music, listen to it quite often during my commute.  No idea as to her skill level, as I know nothing about violins.  I just know I enjoy what she puts together.
View Quote
This.

Also I have bought her albums.

Also donated to some of her children's charity.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
Punch yourself, in the face.... With a hammer.... REALLLLLY hard.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#44]
[b]Originally Posted By MAHABALI

View Quote

calm down kiddo
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#45]
very meh....
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Me being an Evanescence/Amy Lee nut, I love this.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Took my wife to her concert in Dallas this year. It was her last US performance for 2014
View Quote

She was in Tempe... Yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Not her first video with PTX

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#49]
So all she does is dance around and play mediocre violin?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#50]
I have both her albums and now because of Shatter Me, I'm listening to Halestorm.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top