[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Silver.
View Quote

This x1000$
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy 10 Spikes stripped lowers and then wait for the next panic buy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get in on a cattle future.
$2k investement made $40k
View Quote

Go on...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is really it. Just looking for something to try in the market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had $1,000 at play, I would not invest it in the market, unless you are just doing it to learn how the market works, and learn better with some skin in the game.  And this is coming from someone who loves this kind of stuff. I would invest it in something I could control and earn a return on both my time and money, rather than just money.  Barring that (if you don't have time available), I would probably buy a Colt 6920 and stick in the back of the safe.  

This is really it. Just looking for something to try in the market.

Ok cool.  If it's just for learning and you don't mind losing it, this is what I would do:

1) sign up for one of the "pretend" trading accounts. for example: http://www.marketwatch.com/game/
2) pick some high volatility stocks (basically some that are pretty risky and with prices that tend to jump around all the time.  example: Netflix (NFLX), LinkedIn (LNKD), Tesla (TSLA).  There are plenty of them out there.
3) mess around with these stocks with play money for a while (few months) until you get comfortable with how they work
4) Do the same with your $1,000 of real money once you feel ok about it - be prepared to lose some or all of this money because you probably will
5) Graduate and consider doing the same with options contracts

Investing in an index fund is like watching paint dry - it serves its purpose if you are saving for retirement and have no where else productive to put your money. But if we are just talking $1,000 of play money, the end result - if things go really really well in the world and the fund goes up by 8% a year, is that your $1,000 will double in about 10 years.  At that time, you will have $2,000.  A new Colt (as I mentioned above) will cost $2,000 by then.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This x1000$
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silver.

This x1000$

silver has just dropped to ~17.50 an ounce, now might be the time to buy!

Or it might continue to fall
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
swir
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
bcg's man
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silver.

This x1000$

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Send me the $1k to invest and I will return $1.25k.  In the mean time I need you to find 3 people willing to invest $1k and make sure to let them know you will also be returning $1.25k within a month.
View Quote

Don't even joke about shit like that.  SEC will give you an anal probe.

OP, seriously, I have a few single stocks....WalMart, Costco, and Disney have all done quite well.  (Past performance is no guarantee of future success). A couple others... not so well,fortunately didn't bet a lot on those.

Generally, I like to invest in companies whose products I (or at least many other people) like and use.

I'd advise against investing in either airlines or banks.  My experience with those has been very bad - but I was stupid and listened to investment advisors.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Silver.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Go on...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on...

Your name has to be "Clinton" and you have to be married to the Governor of Arkansas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A nice suppressor.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy 10 Spikes stripped lowers and then wait for the next panic buy.
View Quote

For a non FFL, I'd suggest mags or ammo rather than receivers.

If you must speculate in firearms as a non FFL buy one $1k 6920 rather than a bunch of stripped lowers.

Better to sell one gun for triple your money rather than a bunch of cheap guns for three times your money.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Put it in a Roth IRA (may need to add more to reach your income bracket maximum), repeat yearly with your income bracket maximum, withdrawal after you turn 59.5 years of age.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Colt 6920
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd recommend UTX

On average their stock doubles in value every 5 years and has done so for the past 30 years. You also get dividends which will pay more than any savings account.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:45:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A nice suppressor.
View Quote

What is your definition of nice?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get yourself a whole bunch of Berkshire Hathaway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:54:14 AM EDT
[#20]
22 ammo.  Beef.  Sugar.  Any food commodity. Cotton etc.  GOATS(it's coming).  ENERGY.  Think ground, as in earth.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#21]
WLCDF
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Case of pmags. November could be interesting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Case of pmags. November could be interesting.
View Quote

Mags aren't going to be the next panic. Market is just way too saturated at this point.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#25]
The new 1911 index fund.  Whatever I could get for a grand.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I just invested in some of the frac sand companies. Emes or slca
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Should have put it in Halliburton yesterday afternoon
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#28]
.416 Remington Magnum ammunition.  It's dirt cheap right now, but when the grabboids come, you'll be able to charge whatever you want for it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Haitian penny stocks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Put it in a Roth IRA (may need to add more to reach your income bracket maximum), repeat yearly with your income bracket maximum, withdrawal after you turn 59.5 years of age.
View Quote

I just tried to do that with my old 401k today. The lady at my bank said the IRA she could put me in wouldn't even keep up with inflation and it wasn't worth it. Said she couldn't do anything for me. I'm in Skink's boat, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it and whatever else ends up in my savings account. Halp.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
that would be about one third the way to a new guitar
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just tried to do that with my old 401k today. The lady at my bank said the IRA she could put me in wouldn't even keep up with inflation and it wasn't worth it. Said she couldn't do anything for me. I'm in Skink's boat, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it and whatever else ends up in my savings account. Halp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bank probably isn't the best place to go for that.

https://investor.vanguard.com/ira/vanguard?WT.srch=1
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an IRA that a tiny 401k got rolled into at Prudential. My fault for not getting it rolled over to new plan, but that's neither here not there. Couple k is all. They've got it sitting in some lame historically 2-3% "stable" fund. If I can't figure out how to get it in something more interesting, I'm just gonna cash it out so I can actually out it to use rather than having it sit there until it disappears from maintenance fees or I forget about it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What single stock would it be invested in?
View Quote

$1k in stocks isn't worth bothering with.

There are plenty of things you could easily invest in, though.   Depends on how portable you want it to be, legally speaking.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sounds legit... Do this OP  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Send me the $1k to invest and I will return $1.25k.  In the mean time I need you to find 3 people willing to invest $1k and make sure to let them know you will also be returning $1.25k within a month.
Sounds legit... Do this OP  
Can you say PONZI or pyramid ?

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it seems. I was just trying to keep it simple. Every time I've tried to educate myself on investing I've ended up with information overload. I'll look at that link. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have an IRA that a tiny 401k got rolled into at Prudential. My fault for not getting it rolled over to new plan, but that's neither here not there. Couple k is all. They've got it sitting in some lame historically 2-3% "stable" fund. If I can't figure out how to get it in something more interesting, I'm just gonna cash it out so I can actually out it to use rather than having it sit there until it disappears from maintenance fees or I forget about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wanted to roll it into the next 401k, but I'm not eligible for that for another year.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What single stock would it be invested in?
View Quote

Johnson and Johnson.
Ticker: JNJ
Current price $107.10
You can buy 9 shares
JNJ pays a dividend of $2.80 per share a year which equals $25.20
JNJ has increassed divdends straight for 51 years.
The last 5 years the average increase was ~6.5 %. The last increase was 8%. But lets be conservative and give it a forward looking growth rate of 5%.
If you buy and hold you stock, don't reinvest the dividends(this makes the simulation a little harder to type out)......
in 10 years, your yearly dividend total will be:$39
in 20 years. $63
in 30 years.. $103

In 30 years, you will be earning 10.3% interest on your money. You will have recieved $1673 dollars back from the company but still have your initial investment turning $1000 into $2673. Inflation will make that $2673 worth ~$1168 using historic numbers.
Keep in mind there will be taxes with these gains. Keep in mind this isn't guaranteed. Keep in mind this isn't "Buy gold. Markets are manipulated" crap that most people too stupid to learn the market keep shouting from the roof tops.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of shitty IRAs do you have? Look into Fidelity
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll try to figure it out. I hope I can do this smoothly from my 401k into an IRA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll try to figure it out. I hope I can do this smoothly from my 401k into an IRA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or T. Rowe Price.  They have quite a few good funds as well..
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about TDAmeritrade? They were my first pick for investing, based on reviews, last time I got motivated to invest. I'd rather keep things with one company if I can...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:49:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Case of Pmags and still have enough for a stock....
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What about TDAmeritrade? They were my first pick for investing, based on reviews, last time I got motivated to invest. I'd rather keep things with one company if I can...
View Quote

Using TDAmeritrade is perfectly fine, it just requires a little more effort on your part, since you're basically acting as your own broker.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#45]
The way things are going, general dynamics. They're about to get rained on in tax money.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.  S&P 500 index fund through Fidelity or Vanguard

$1k wouldn't even buy 1% of one share of Berkshire Hathaway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No load index fund.

This.  S&P 500 index fund through Fidelity or Vanguard

Quoted:
Get yourself a whole bunch of Berkshire Hathaway.

$1k wouldn't even buy 1% of one share of Berkshire Hathaway.

Bro, do you even B share BRo. BRK B
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Polaris Industries ( PII ). Up 87% in 2 years.  

Use a TD Ameritrade account.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Go on...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on...

With that small amount of money he bought call way out of the money.  Then once those prices rose on beef prices he most probably exercised those options. The easiest would have been to buy calls on the ETF COW and then once that hit a nice high he exercised his option to buy all of those etf's at the call price and then sold the COW shares he bought for a nice profit. It's purely speculative but if it would have gone the other way he would have been out the $2000 and not be forced to hold COW or deliver actual cattle to someone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must deal with a bank that doesn't have a investment arm. because they would have sent you right over to the bank broker.

anyway. she was right. a CD IRA isn't paying above inflation so your real return would have been negative. Outside of the FDIC bank world there is a whole plethora of investments that no one here ever talks about. Private equity, private paper, managed money etc. You never hear that here on arf.com because everyone is so caught up with ETF vs Mutual fund and the markowitz theory that they don't have the resources to learn about other investment vehicles or don't care to learn.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

vanguard isn't the best place to go for that either.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top