Quoted:

lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No question it's a bad shoot. What's interesting is that he had been involved in a previous shooting that was clean (was actually taking rounds from the bad guy prior to the shoot). While I expect he'll be convicted, I'll be interested to see how possible PTSD works into this, and what charge he ends up with. THIS is why PTSD in cops is a serious (but generally ignored) issue... it can result in a very bad thing happening to an innocent man.

BTW, for all the basement-dwelling, mouth-breathing cop haters out there, no favoritism was shown in the case, nor was anything covered up. Rule of law in action.

Interesting information. You are correct that PTSD in police work is often ignored or overlooked.

Not that it in anyway justifies this shooting, but this is a clear example of why you should not do quick, furtive movements when in contact with officers. You might have a jumpy officer like this one. Tell the officer what your doing or reaching for/to so as to help avoid possible tragedy like this case or worse.

lol

"lol" all you want, being smart is better than getting shot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Happened less than ten miles from my house.  From what I understand, the trooper has been in trouble before.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ex-S.C. trooper who shot unarmed man faces charges

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A former South Carolina state trooper who shot an unarmed man was charged Wednesday with assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature.

Sean Groubert, 31, was booked at the Richland County Detention Center. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/24/ex-trooper-who-shot-unarmed-man-faces-charges/16178961/
View Quote

What a bullshit charge if that have been a person who wasn't a LEO the charge would be attempted murder and should be for the cop as well
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This attitude REEKS of "blaming the victim."  Well, that man should have known not to make any furtive / "odd" moves when dealing with a cop. He coulda been dealing with Officer Friendly or Officer Nervous Nellie. Too bad he has Parkinson's and got the short stick with Officer Nervous Nellie.

It should be traffic stop 101 for LEOs to not make bad stops, number one, and then if they do, to NOT SHOOT AN AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO IS IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM A LETHAL THREAT number two. THAT is what should be "traffic stop 101."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just speaking generally about LEO encounters. Again, I'm not justifying this officers actions, or even the the stop itself. It should just be traffic stop 101 not to make sudden movements towards your waist, pockets or inside your vehicle. Justified or not, shot is shot and I'd prefer not to be shot at all.

This attitude REEKS of "blaming the victim."  Well, that man should have known not to make any furtive / "odd" moves when dealing with a cop. He coulda been dealing with Officer Friendly or Officer Nervous Nellie. Too bad he has Parkinson's and got the short stick with Officer Nervous Nellie.

It should be traffic stop 101 for LEOs to not make bad stops, number one, and then if they do, to NOT SHOOT AN AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO IS IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM A LETHAL THREAT number two. THAT is what should be "traffic stop 101."

No one is blaming the victim here. It's just a reality that avoiding certain behaviors and situations helps an individual stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
what a dipshit

then keeps on about a seatbelt violation after he put a bullet in him.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag to see how this shakes out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#11]
must have seen a dog
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Ya know, sometimes I just have to get it on.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Calm down.  There are tens of thousands of vehicle stops and other police contacts that happen every single day.  Very rarely is any force used, much less deadly force.  And in the overwhelming majority of cases when deadly force is used, it is very easily justified.  This guy fucked up and overreacted, not a trend.  And he will answer for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are getting shot because they don't know any better by officers who are simply being too aggressive. This is not isolated, it is a trend that needs de-escalated.

Calm down.  There are tens of thousands of vehicle stops and other police contacts that happen every single day.  Very rarely is any force used, much less deadly force.  And in the overwhelming majority of cases when deadly force is used, it is very easily justified.  This guy fucked up and overreacted, not a trend.  And he will answer for it.

I think this guy would disagree, although I will concede that the officers were responding to an irresponsible report of a man with a gun:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1652842_Man_carrying_a_rifle_in_Wal_Mart_shot_and_killed_by_police__Update__Grand_Jury_Declines_to_Indict_.html

And then there's this story, bad circumstances again. I played with and OC'ed toy guns a lot as a kid, and never got shot:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1669501_14_yo_youth_shot_by_police_officer__Still_Under_investigation__Sad_situation_all_around_.html

It's time to admit that there is a reactionary problem with the training that is taking context and common-sense too far out of decision-making loop. Society degrading the way it is isn't helping, of course. For the officer's sake alone, we need to examine this so that we can find a solution. CCW'ers can be prone to this issue as well.

We're going to need a new sub-forum for these topics if people keep sticking their heads in the sand.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No question it's a bad shoot. What's interesting is that he had been involved in a previous shooting that was clean (was actually taking rounds from the bad guy prior to the shoot). While I expect he'll be convicted, I'll be interested to see how possible PTSD works into this, and what charge he ends up with. THIS is why PTSD in cops is a serious (but generally ignored) issue... it can result in a very bad thing happening to an innocent man.

BTW, for all the basement-dwelling, mouth-breathing cop haters out there, no favoritism was shown in the case, nor was anything covered up. Rule of law in action.
View Quote

and all too rare, that's why cops are hated. Cops will continue to be hated until the "police up their shit." They had to admit that its they that are the problem, not everyone else.  We still have not seen the blue wall come up, I sure it will with a fully paid for public defense as well and a reinstatement.

You guys are not out of the woods yet.

Here is hoping for a life sentence or at the very least and never ever holding any position of responsibility over the public again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think this guy would disagree, although I will concede that the officers were responding to an irresponsible report of a man with a gun:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1652842_Man_carrying_a_rifle_in_Wal_Mart_shot_and_killed_by_police__Update__Grand_Jury_Declines_to_Indict_.html

And then there's this story, bad circumstances again. I played with and OC'ed toy guns a lot as a kid, and never got shot:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1669501_14_yo_youth_shot_by_police_officer__Still_Under_investigation__Sad_situation_all_around_.html

It's time to admit that there is a reactionary problem with the training that is taking context and common-sense too far out of decision-making loop. Society degrading the way it is isn't helping, of course. For the officer's sake alone, we need to examine this so that we can find a solution. CCW'ers can be prone to this issue as well.

We're going to need a new sub-forum for these topics if people keep sticking their heads in the sand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are getting shot because they don't know any better by officers who are simply being too aggressive. This is not isolated, it is a trend that needs de-escalated.

neither of those you posted suffer from a "reactionary problem"
your argument is invalid.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes he does, and he's already been arrested on the charges apparently
View Quote

He got arrested on some chickenshit, minor A&B charge. Would have been "attempted capital murder" if the roles were reversed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Happened less than ten miles from my house.  From what I understand, the trooper has been in trouble before.
View Quote

Which should add another "0" to the settlement figure. Keeping a known problem child around, and then this happens, is the kind of thing plaintiffs' lawyers LOVE.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He got arrested on some chickenshit, minor A&B charge. Would have been "attempted capital murder" if the roles were reversed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

take your foot out of your damn mouth...

its an aggravated battery charge that carrys up to 20 years....

fuck, know what the fuck your talking about before spouting off about other states laws...its a bad shoot and he's going to do some time over it
GD just doesn't know what to do, because the guy was in the wrong and the state has handled it....
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#20]
cop had it turned up to eleven, apparently
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In both cases, the officers reacted to perceived threats as they were trained. And in both cases, the officers will have to live with themselves for pulling the trigger on people who were not carrying real guns.

At face-value, in both cases they were legally justified based upon what they knew at the time. I'm sure the officers would feel much better if they had taken an extra few seconds to assess what they were seeing before pulling the trigger.  

My argument is that pre-articulated responses to situations, intended to save lives, are resulting in unfortunate tragedies that people have to live with. I find that to be a very valid point.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

fuck, know what the fuck your talking about before spouting off about other states laws...its a bad shoot and he's going to do some time over it
GD just doesn't know what to do, because the guy was in the wrong and the state has handled it....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Max 20 years?  What will be the actual time served? 10? 5?  Be honest now.

You also skipped right past his point of how a non-JBT would be charged.  Do you disagree that is true?

Pathetic try at redirecting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In both cases, the officers reacted to perceived threats as they were trained. And in both cases, the officers will have to live with themselves for pulling the trigger on people who were not carrying real guns.

At face-value, in both cases they were legally justified based upon what they knew at the time. I'm sure the officers would feel much better if they had taken an extra few seconds to assess what they were seeing before pulling the trigger.  

My argument is that pre-articulated responses to situations, intended to save lives, are resulting in unfortunate tragedies that people have to live with. I find that to be a very valid point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

now you just invalidated your argument
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What a bullshit charge if that have been a person who wasn't a LEO the charge would be attempted murder and should be for the cop as well
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ex-S.C. trooper who shot unarmed man faces charges

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A former South Carolina state trooper who shot an unarmed man was charged Wednesday with assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature.

Sean Groubert, 31, was booked at the Richland County Detention Center. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/24/ex-trooper-who-shot-unarmed-man-faces-charges/16178961/

That requires malice aforethought in SC, so not sure it would work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He intentionally shot (i.e., used deadly force) against another human being, without justification. Why hasn't he been charged with an attempted homicide crime of some sort?

Also, consider switching to decaf.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Horrible shoot. Good fire and arrest
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Revenue collecting should not be a #1 reason to pull someone over. I believe in Mass a seat belt violation is not allowed as the reason to pull you over. After they do pull you over for some other BS they then can tac it on to further the total fine. Well atleast that vic will be getting a new truck.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Revenue collecting should not be a #1 reason to pull someone over. I believe in Mass a seat belt violation is not allowed as the reason to pull you over. After they do pull you over for some other BS they then can tac it on to further the total fine. Well atleast that vic will be getting a new truck.
View Quote

They always sell it as a "secondary" enforcement law when it's first enacted. Then the slippery slope kicks in, and they change it to "primary," and then start doing checkpoints to enforce it.

For the children, of course.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
He intentionally shot (i.e., used deadly force) against another human being, without justification. Why hasn't he been charged with an attempted homicide crime of some sort?...
View Quote

I wonder why he wasn't charged. It's a real mystery!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No one is blaming the victim here. It's just a reality that avoiding certain behaviors and situations helps an individual stay safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just speaking generally about LEO encounters. Again, I'm not justifying this officers actions, or even the the stop itself. It should just be traffic stop 101 not to make sudden movements towards your waist, pockets or inside your vehicle. Justified or not, shot is shot and I'd prefer not to be shot at all.

Its a sad reality. Its fucked up that innocent citizens need to be educated on proper traffic stop ettiquete to increase their odds of surviving a routine encounter with police.

And we shouldn't dismiss that this whole stop was initiated based on a supposed seatbelt violation. Seatbelt laws are complete bullshit and serve absolutely no purpose and do nothing to improve the public safety. Requiring someone to wear a seat belt doesn't make them any less dangerous behind the wheel.

Seat belt law exist for only three reasons and none of them are for public safety:

1. It gives suspicious cops one more excuse to pull someone over when they otherwise can't justify a stop.

2. It raises revenue.

3. Its just one more charge to pile on when they wanna throw the book at someone.

Looks to me like that JBT was just JBTing. He figured he'd just shake the kid down a little and maybe nab him for something else in the process or at least generate a little revenue with a bullshit charge. The poor guy, out of fear orignorance complied and did exactly as he was told  and got shot for his trouble.

Her is a thought. If routine traffic stops are just one furtive movement away from a shooting why don't we minimize the risk by getting rid of bullshit laws and bullshit traffic stops. The traffic stop that never happened can't become a shooting. That's better for the cop and the citizen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Had a female in my academy class that got washed out during field training.

She wanted to play street counselor and somehow "justify" that a POS's upbringing was the cause of their criminal behavior/actions.

Thus, the POS didn't need to go to jail.

She was also afraid of her own shadow.

After getting cut loose, she got picked up by a smaller, local PD.

During a traffic stop, she shot at the driver since he was "reaching for a weapon".

Needless to say, the dashcam video didn't justify her actions.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#32]
But But furtive movements!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Where "concept" and "reality" collide.

The concept of firing if someone is making an un-commanded reach for something is legit when the totality of circumstances add up.

When you ASK the guy to get something and he does, the totality is put on hold for a second.

The cop failed to make some logical choices and didn't watch the hands.

He is a dunce.

Sad, but the driver needs to say, "Ok, license is on the dash" and wait a second. He's not at fault.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It hasnt hit glocktalk coptalk yet but should make for some interesting reading over there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope he does time.

In before the apologist cavalry arrives.

It hasnt hit glocktalk coptalk yet but should make for some interesting reading over there

why, are police sacred over there as well?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you are right, but as you well know, or should the vast majority of the time that is not the case. The police line up, cover up and protect the officer. he gets a  milf  ..something.. and he back out there in no time at his job or another department.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would love to see those statistics posted from a reliable source.  Please provide the data to support your claim.

BTW, love the patronizing way you answered, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to see those statistics posted from a reliable source.  Please provide the data to support your claim.

BTW, love the patronizing way you answered, lol.

If he's claiming trend or no trend, I want to see the linear regression with P and F value reported. (and obviously what alpha was used)
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The officer was simply obeying rule #1 in law enforcement.
View Quote

What is rule number 1..

Make sure you story is the only one?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You also skipped right past his point of how a non-JBT would be charged.  Do you disagree that is true?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you want to argue time served? who fuck serves all their time? the man was charged, and the trial hasn't even started....im sure you can drive down to south carolina and find some rope on the way to out right hang the guy if you so desire.........and there are many cases of use of force against police officers that end up being plea bargained down....oh shit lets not forget about plea bargains now, where the fuck is extorris

i don't need to redirect a damn thing, you fuckers are just dumbfounded that a state actually police up its messed quickly...and the copblock types are grasping
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is rule number 1..

lol

No really what  IS RULE #1
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What is rule number 1..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is rule number 1..

fife's law (this is purely satire)
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Just speaking generally about LEO encounters. Again, I'm not justifying this officers actions, or even the stop itself. It should just be traffic stop 101 not to make sudden movements towards your waist, pockets or inside your vehicle. Justified or not, shot is shot and I'd prefer not to be shot at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting information. You are correct that PTSD in police work is often ignored or overlooked.

Not that it in anyway justifies this shooting, but this is a clear example of why you should not do quick, furtive movements when in contact with officers. You might have a jumpy officer like this one. Tell the officer what your doing or reaching for/to so as to help avoid possible tragedy like this case or worse.

Seriously?! I am supposed to explain my actions as I perform them to satisfy a JBT who demanded my "papers please" while he was making an unwarranted SEAT BELT "violation" stop ON PRIVATE PROPERTY so I don't have to worry about getting shot?!?!

NO.  

Just speaking generally about LEO encounters. Again, I'm not justifying this officers actions, or even the stop itself. It should just be traffic stop 101 not to make sudden movements towards your waist, pockets or inside your vehicle. Justified or not, shot is shot and I'd prefer not to be shot at all.

I understand what youre saying. When i am talking with the cops i don't make a single move with out telling him what i am doing and where i am doing it. does not make this situation ok but i would rather not get shot for something stupid.

Then again when facing police some peoples brains shut off and the driver was not thinking he was gonna get plugged.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?! I am supposed to explain my actions as I perform them to satisfy a JBT who demanded my "papers please" while he was making an unwarranted SEAT BELT "violation" stop ON PRIVATE PROPERTY so I don't have to worry about getting shot?!?!

NO.  

Is it OK if they aren't American?

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

safe from whom?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#44]
He was just making sure he went home safe...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Officer doesn't need to go to jail ...
... but damn, he could have accidently killed the nice kid and America doesn't need that right now, what with Obama at the UN or wherever, invoking Ferguson and all.
View Quote

No, he doesn't need to go to jail. He needs a quick trial and a sharp drop. Then maybe he can be buried under the jail.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He intentionally shot (i.e., used deadly force) against another human being, without justification. Why hasn't he been charged with an attempted homicide crime of some sort?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you obviously need to continue to practice law in virginia....and nowhere else....as you have no idea what south carolina's law's are....there was no plan to shoot the man,
the state charged him with the highest charge that will possibly stick....are you familiar with that, like actually trying to win cases?

and i don't drink coffee....i just get sick of reading your post stirring shit....the pit is down the road if you want get into any further philosophical discussion
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

State  has not handled anything yet. We still have a court  defense to pay for.  

Thousands of cops walk every year from this point untouched from this point. It will be handled when he is safely in prison without parole, and never ever ever to hold a position of public responsibility again.

We will see.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow.......I'll bet $1000 that he was quick on the trigger because of the prior incident..... Definitely could be a case of PTSD......the way he reacted I would not doubt it
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you teach or someone learns tasks rather than goals. The task here (and it was wrong) is to shoot people who make furtive movements. The goal is to use force when necessary against threats.
View Quote

Fucking Bullshit......we don't teach people to shoot because of furtive movements......
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plenty of non-LEOs shoot people and do little time in the pen. Attempted murder can be served in under 10.

Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top