Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's why people become cops, because they fail at being bouncers or security guards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In police work you have a human being that chooses to attempt to actively harm/kill the officer.

Police are far from the only ones that face this risk. Bouncers, security guards, soldiers, MMA fighters all face similar risks.

That's why people become cops, because they fail at being bouncers or security guards.

I just spit raspberry lemonade on my iPad.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In police work you have a human being that chooses to attempt to actively harm/kill the officer.

Police are far from the only ones that face this risk. Bouncers, security guards, soldiers, MMA fighters all face similar risks.

I laughed.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bouncers, can't recall the last time we had someone arrested for assaulting or killing a Bouncer in my area, although we have arrested a few bouncers for beating the shit out of some people.
Security Guards, Can't recall the last time we had one seriously beaten or killed.  We have arrested a few for battery on a security officer.  Also a lot of security officers here are operating under the "eyes and ears" (detect, call police, monitor) policy of their employers who don't want the liability of dealing with UOF issues if the security officer uses force.
Soldiers, no qualms there, but this is GD and look at the militarization of police comments.
MMA fighters fight of their own free will knowing that the fight is not designed to kill them, with a set of rules in place and a referee to call the fight.  They can also submit.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I think we have finally hit full retard in this thread.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you stop the car with the intent to shoot someone and kill them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I must say that the guy did reach in his car kind of fast and it would have alarmed me. And IMO the cop sounded scared. He freaked out and hyper-reacted. I am glad someone else here mentioned that he was involved in another shooting  incident because PTSD was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the way he reacted. i think this was negligence on either the trooper, department, or both. I am not convinced he had criminal intent. if his department didn't maintane his mental health from the previous shooting and kept him on the road  they are at fault.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't because LE is not like in the military where your taken care of if your diognosed with PTSD. maybe he has it maybe he doesn't but it's somering that needs to be looked in to before he is prosecuted.

Criminal intent does not require an intent to break the law. It requires an intent to do an act. The law determines the legality of the act. A person who genuinely believes that a shaken fist represents a threat of death or great bodily harm and shoots and kills the fist-shaker intends to do a lawful act: to shoot in self-defense. He is nonetheless guilty of Manslaughter. This trooper clearly intended to shoot the victim (at the very least; in many cases, shooting at a person is regarded as proof of intent to kill) and did shoot the victim. The victim did not present what a reasonable person would consider as a threat of death or great bodily harm, and the trooper therefore has no legal justification for the shooting. His intent to act within the law is immaterial.

As to those who say that this was not attempted murder because the trooper didn't say he meant to kill, they are mistaken. Murderers never announce their intent except by their actions. Men are presumed to intend the usual and natural consequences of their actions. The usual and natural consequence of repeatedly shooting at a person is death. I am reasonably certain that a private citizen who fired four times at a state trooper would be charged, based on his actions, with attempted murder.

I agree with your first paragraph.
As far as the second I still think murder would be a stretch because it requires malice.
He may have intended to kill, but I do not believe malice or premeditation comes into play.

If I'm shooting at you malice is established. I am intending to do something evil: try to kill you.

Did you stop the car with the intent to shoot someone and kill them?

The law does not fix the length of time the intent must exist; it merely requires that the intent exist before the aggressive act occurs.

What did the trooper intend when he shot at the victim? What exactly did he mean to do?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FLA is in Florida where IIRC second degree murder is what we call manslaughter (covers imperfect self defense) and first degree is with malice, and IIRC capital murder is premeditated.
View Quote

In Florida -

1* is premeditated; "with malice aforethought" means "premeditated," "malice" being "intent to kill." 1* is capital if aggravating circumstances are present.

2* is killing by an act imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind without regard for human life.

Msltr is a killing which is not 1*, not 2*, and is neither justifiable nor excusable under the law. It is commonly committed by culpable negligence or by a person with a genuine but unreasonable belief that the killing is necessary in self-defense.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Could it ever be a good act?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
shooting at someone is inherently evil?

It is inherently harmful, not inherently evil. A person who shoots at another has at a minimum an intent to harm him; shooting at someone is in most cases sufficient to establish an intent to kill him.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sorry. The man in the arena gets the benefit of the doubt.

Just like there are many folks here that can see why the Trooper did what he did. That will be reasonable doubt to a jury. It is also possibly why the investigators didn't take this to a grand jury. The politicians wanted to ensure the Trooper was charged quickly to avoid something like what is happening in Missouri.

This man totally overreacted and did not act in a manner in which a "Reasonable Officer" faced with a similar situation would have acted.

That being said he should not be charged criminally the same way as someone who gets into a dispute at a cookout, retrieves a firearm, and shots the guy he was arguing with.

Pay the victim a fair civil settlement for the wrong that was done to him, and ensure this Trooper never works as a LEO again.

This is not a criminal issue, it is a civil one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having a clenched vagina wouldn't warrant a SD instruction IMO and Trooper Derp should be facing a ABWIK charge.

Just like there are many folks here that can see why the Trooper did what he did. That will be reasonable doubt to a jury. It is also possibly why the investigators didn't take this to a grand jury. The politicians wanted to ensure the Trooper was charged quickly to avoid something like what is happening in Missouri.

This man totally overreacted and did not act in a manner in which a "Reasonable Officer" faced with a similar situation would have acted.

That being said he should not be charged criminally the same way as someone who gets into a dispute at a cookout, retrieves a firearm, and shots the guy he was arguing with.

Pay the victim a fair civil settlement for the wrong that was done to him, and ensure this Trooper never works as a LEO again.

Shooting at a person without legal justification for doing so is a crime. There was no evidence that would cause a reasonable person - cop or not - to believe that the victim presented a threat of death or GBH to the trooper. He does not get a pass for being wound too tight or for believing that hour by hour he walks the razor's edge between life and death. He gets what anybody who shoots another human for no good reason gets: hard time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kinda different circumstances. Both were the victim of big  screw ups. Neither were targeted in the murder sense of the word.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that particular officer sunscribed to www.officer.com, then he might get the opinion that walking out the door is a deadly hazard ...

Officer shootings are like small plane wrecks, every one makes national news.

Though there are a gazillion officers, and few get shot, but those that do make national headlines.  Like small planes, few wreck, but folks are scared of them over the media attention given to each and every accident.

My rambling is that the media attention given might just have some officers quietly, shall we say over-cautious, and cause them to react as this man did.

It is. Ask the PA State Troopers

It was for the citizen in this thread as well. He got shot getting gas. Hell,  Ayana Jones, got shot while she was sleeping

Kinda different circumstances. Both were the victim of big  screw ups. Neither were targeted in the murder sense of the word.

Neither was the dipshit in the OP.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that particular officer sunscribed to www.officer.com, then he might get the opinion that walking out the door is a deadly hazard ...

Though there are a gazillion officers, and few get shot, but those that do make national headlines.  Like small planes, few wreck, but folks are scared of them over the media attention given to each and every accident.

My rambling is that the media attention given might just have some officers quietly, shall we say over-cautious, and cause them to react as this man did.

It was for the citizen in this thread as well. He got shot getting gas. Hell,  Ayana Jones, got shot while she was sleeping

Neither was the dipshit in the OP.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He fucked up. Would not surprise me to see him indicted.

View Quote

Guess that would make 17 or is it 18?
Still waiting on all those apologist.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having a clenched vagina wouldn't warrant a SD instruction IMO and Trooper Derp should be facing a ABWIK charge.

Its not the same as dispute over a cookout.

It is the same as a citizen who is paranoid and shoots someone fearing for his life when he has no reasonable cause.

Does a citizen get the same benefit of the doubt when he shoots the newspaper man in his yard thinking he was a burglar ? Probably not.

Shooting someone on purpose without any cause at all should certainly qualify as criminal.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Of course, this guy had already been in a "plane crash" so he might have a different perspective than the average person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing how many folks discuss the media sensationalism regarding "mass shootings", yet this is never discussed.
Excellent point.

Of course, this guy had already been in a "plane crash" so he might have a different perspective than the average person.

Friend of the family died in one.

I spent 9 hours stranded after our airliner had an engine failure, emergency landing, mid-flight.

I still fly, though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mailmen, UPS drivers, utility workers, EMS, pizza delivery, Nurses......

Not to the same extent, given, and not to minimize the conditions LE work under.

Simply stating other folks face similar issues, to some extent.

ETA: We did have a UPS driver shoot up an office downtown, maybe a bad example, that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its as relevant as parading the Dinkheller video around as a justification.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If it stops or prevents harm to a loved one?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it stops or prevents harm to a loved one?

You're doing a bad thing to a bad person.

If you tried to rob my wife or rape her , I will try to kill you. I'll sure as hell mean to do it and want to stop you. I'll will be acting with ill will towards your safety and well-being.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On the national news this morning the cops lawyer reportedly claimed innocence because the drive "aggressively" went back into the car.

This is why the use of words like "furtive move," "the dog lunged at me," "the dog was aggressive" when used by cops has no substance to me.

View Quote

yeah, he was "aggressively" going in an opposite direction.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Agreed. That's why I bought my own. Saved me and other officers on several complaints. Love 'em!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now imagine if the dash cam was out of sight or not turned on.  The quicker all police are wearing body cams, the better.

Agreed. That's why I bought my own. Saved me and other officers on several complaints. Love 'em!

any competent officer should love the idea of a body cam.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's accelerating to plaid.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ludicrous speed?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We could use men like you......when do you sign up?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It is inherently harmful, not inherently evil. A person who shoots at another has at a minimum an intent to harm him; shooting at someone is in most cases sufficient to establish an intent to kill him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The was a gang banger who stopped his car jumped out and shot another banger in both knees while he was sitting on a retaining wall.

The state charged the shooter with attempted murder.

They put all their eggs in one basket , the banger took the stand in his on defense and testified he shot him in the legs because he didn't want to kill him, only punish him for shooting at him the week before.

The jury found him not guilty.

They tried to come back at him for possession of the gun illegally but a judge rules double jeopardy attached.

I think they held back the gun charge thinking , "it's jersey , we'll get away with it"  

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

He fucked up. Would not surprise me to see him indicted.

View Quote
Yep, they will make him plead to a felony with 1 year probation and never work as an LEO again.

I think a jury will fry his ass after watching that video.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:51:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having a realistic understanding of the dangers faced by a particular profession doesn't mean I want the job. I like my high-paying professional job where I don't have to lie / "cover for" my co-workers or risk being an outcast.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Having a realistic understanding of the dangers faced by a particular profession doesn't mean I want the job. I like my high-paying professional job where I don't have to lie / "cover for" my co-workers or risk being an outcast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing its football season, makes your MMQ'ing less obvious
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:47:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah because thats a high % of police?

BS

And what is your so called high paying profession?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:22:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
BS

View Quote

Computer consulting. I have no idea how high or low the % is. It seems a common theme that IA guys can never do patrol work again, and I've heard stories like the dead rat on the windshield, It happens.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:28:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Glad to see that Officer Quickdraw is up on charges.  He should be.  The only reason the citizen wasn't DRT is because the officer was a lousy shot.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I think I face just as much danger everyday as most cops do..Not only do I have to keep my eyes peeled for the criminals out there...I also have to keep my eye on the cops..never know when one is going to put me in harms way trying to do his job.. think about it.. right or wrong, just as with this cop..in such a hurry and so scared that his life is at risk he opens fire at a gas station...How many people did he put at risk..not just his intended victim..but how about every one else in the area..sure didn't look like he gave one thought to anyones safety but his own..There has to be a better way..I don't know what it is ..but there has to be a better way...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Computer consulting. I have no idea how high or low the % is. It seems a common theme that IA guys can never do patrol work again, and I've heard stories like the dead rat on the windshield, It happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS

It seems a common theme that some people have child porn on their computers, and I 've heard stories about it too.
It happens.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Question for LEO:  

how would you react if the victim had refused to be handcuffed and had said words to the effect of "if you're not going to give me first aid, then I will do it myself.  I need my hands free to put direct pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding.  So fuck you and your handcuffs."

I ask because if a cop just shot me for nothing at all, I'm not inclined to be too cooperative, especially when I am bleeding.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If I fucked up and shot someone for no reason they would not be cuffed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question for LEO:  

how would you react if the victim had refused to be handcuffed and had said words to the effect of "if you're not going to give me first aid, then I will do it myself.  I need my hands free to put direct pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding.  So fuck you and your handcuffs."

I ask because if a cop just shot me for nothing at all, I'm not inclined to be too cooperative, especially when I am bleeding.

If I fucked up and shot someone for no reason they would not be cuffed.

This, everything about this incident stinks and it is not the norm. Even still, GD will claim it is and reference it for yrs to come.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This, everything about this incident stinks and it is not the norm. Even still, GD will claim it is and reference it for yrs to come.
View Quote

GD is the Ferguson of the internet. I'm surprised that the ARF store hasn't been looted.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
GD is the Ferguson of the internet. I'm surprised that the ARF store hasn't been looted.
View Quote

If I was a sig-line guy I would so steal that.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BS

BS you saw it on TV

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calling it "Intellectual property" would be a stretch, so it's available.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It seems a common theme that some people have child porn on their computers, and I 've heard stories about it too.
It happens.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BS

It happens.

You're absolutely right, it does:

Ex-Tremonton officer pleads guilty to stalking teen
A former veteran officer with the Tremonton Police Department, who at one time investigated sex abuse cases, pleaded guilty this week to spying on a teenage girl and gathering nude photos of her.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think anyone is saying this is the norm. We're having a discussion about it precisely because it's such a FUBAR situation. But yes, it'll probably be brought up like the blue Tacoma or flash-banged toddler for quite some time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

By laughing at your post I do not consent to you checking my receipt. I reserve my right to not create joinder.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't have a bunch of weaves or 40s for me to loot
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone is saying this is the norm. We're having a discussion about it precisely because it's such a FUBAR situation. But yes, it'll probably be brought up like the blue Tacoma or flash-banged toddler for quite some time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I say anyone said it was normal ? I was answering the question of what would other LE do in the same situation.
Don't you have some wealthy computers to consult?
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top