Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
page 7
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh, for sure. Which is a very good thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That being said, this gun is probably not being marketed to them anyway. It will sit in Walmart, every other chain store and every gun shop that already sells Rugers and it will compete with DPMS and Bushmaster entry level ARs, and with a $600 price tag and Ruger's name, it will win.

Oh, for sure. Which is a very good thing.

Exactly....more interested in the SR7.62, myself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruger’s affordable new AR-15 is packed with quality features and also includes a 30-round Magpul PMAG. At an expected retail price of $599, we anticipate users buying this rifle and customizing it as they please with aftermarket accessories and optics.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-look/first-look-ruger-ar-556/#ixzz3EjaUQA00
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if Ruger will do one in .308/7.62.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They should sell it for $850 to compete with PSAs new 308.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would actually probably buy one of those.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

People's obsession with chrome-lining will never cease to amaze me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go chrome or go home.  Without a proper barrel it's just another dpms sportical

Yeah its not like chrome-lining has any benefits.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wouldn't that need to be made on the Redhawk frame?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

While they're on a roll, if they make a 10mm GP100 I'll take back everything bad I ever said about 'em.

Clement's seems to think not:

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerdarevolvers.html

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Do want
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, that would finally drag me into the AR .308 game.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Nice.  More choices is more gooder.  I do think they should have gone with a mid length gas system and a melonited barrel though but that is just me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Not cost effective
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not  like one process costs much more then the other
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it's not like NOT having a chrome-lined barrel has any benefits, either.  It doesn't make or break a rifle.  There are pros and cons for both types: lined and unlined..

But that's a topic for another thread.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]
My hat's off to the good folks at Ruger for delving even further into the black rifle world.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not cost effective
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.  More choices is more gooder.  I do think they should have gone with a mid length gas system and a melonited barrel though but that is just me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Not cost effective

Well then, how about just the mid-length gas system? Forget the barrel.

Regardless of anything else, Ruger's name & the the price point of this rifle should guarantee it sells. More power to them. ARs for all. The more the better. Hopefully other manufacturers drop their pricing so that they are more competitive in the market.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah it's not like NOT having a chrome-lined barrel has any benefits, either.  It doesn't make or break a rifle.  There are pros and cons for both types: lined and unlined..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We learned since the 50s that chrome lining provides plenty of benefits with NO negatives.... except cost from cheap-ass manufacturers.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We learned since the 50s that chrome lining provides plenty of benefits with NO negatives.... except cost from cheap-ass manufacturers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it's not like NOT having a chrome-lined barrel has any benefits, either.  It doesn't make or break a rifle.  There are pros and cons for both types: lined and unlined..[div style='text-align: left;']

And a measurable negative effect on accuracy.  But you obviously think otherwise, which is fine.  Go spend too much money on a Colt.  That's why all this choice is good for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys are cracking me up on the barrel. I bet the number of people on this board that have worn out a barrel is pretty small. The two groups of people that I encounter on a regular basis that go through barrels are high power shooter and machine gun owners.

I really wish I would keep that link around where Bigbore (Adco) got something like 10k out of a stainless barrel and it still shot decently.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I heard next april they're gonna release the takedown model!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
And a measurable negative effect on accuracy.  But you obviously think otherwise, which is fine.  Go spend too much money on a Colt.  That's why all this choice is good for everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't FN chrome line their precision rifle barrels?

ETA: Yep. "All models have cold hammer-forged MIL-SPEC barrels with chrome-lined
bores and are held to a +/- .001” headspace to produce and maintain one
minute-of-angle (1 MOA) accuracy, making them natural choices for
long-range target shooting and competition"

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Commercial tube.
View Quote

"•The six-position telescoping M4-style buttstock and Mil-Spec buffer tube allow the rifle to be properly sized for different shooters, or varying levels of outerwear or defensive gear. "
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Measurable doesn't mean realistic, especially with a basic AR-15 with a 5.56 chamber built for general use. Corrosion/damage/wear is more likely to be Joe Sixpack's issue than .10" loss of accuracy, especially since M193 is the GP round of the masses.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You guys are cracking me up on the barrel. I bet the number of people on this board that have worn out a barrel is pretty small. The two groups of people that I encounter on a regular basis that go through barrels are high power shooter and machine gun owners.

I really wish I would keep that link around where Bigbore (Adco) got something like 10k out of a stainless barrel and it still shot decently.
View Quote

Chrome-Lining is Tier Spec-Op Mil-Spec 1

Chrome-Moly is Tier Pleb 5
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Measurable doesn't mean realistic, especially with a basic AR-15 with a 5.56 chamber built for general use. Corrosion/damage/wear is more likely to be Joe Sixpack's issue than .10" loss of accuracy, especially since M193 is the GP round of the masses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most gun owners will realize zero gain spending money on a chrome lined barrel. For guns that see maybe 250 rounds a year, its a non factor.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is Ruger producing all the components of this rifle in-house?

They have gigantic (for the gun industry) manufacturing capacity.  Ruger getting into the AR "pieces" business could alter the market tremendously.
View Quote

I'd be surprised if Ruger wasn't already making most of the components already.

I think Ruger getting into the volume end of the AR market is going to "alter the market tremendously" in and of itself.

In the competing price range, there's a stripped out S&W, there's DPMS, and there's a bunch of brands most consumers have never heard of. Hell, a sizable percentage of the people I've talked to looking for a $600 AR have never even heard of DPMS.

Unless there's some kind of flaw we haven't heard about, this Ruger is going to rape, pillage, plunder, and kill in the lower end of the market. I don't have much use for one myself, but that's the rifle I'd want on the rack when it's time to make sales.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

ETA: Yep. "All models have cold hammer-forged MIL-SPEC barrels with chrome-lined bores and are held to a +/- .001” headspace to produce and maintain one minute-of-angle (1 MOA) accuracy, making them natural choices for long-range target shooting and competition"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Yep. "All models have cold hammer-forged MIL-SPEC barrels with chrome-lined bores and are held to a +/- .001” headspace to produce and maintain one minute-of-angle (1 MOA) accuracy, making them natural choices for long-range target shooting and competition"

Why the hell does everyone bring up FN when talking about chrome lined AR barrels?? It is not the same as the precision guns are held to a much higher tolerance which is why they shoot so well. I am not aware of any AR barrels that are held to that kind of tolerance are you??

I would bet a dollar that even FN's own AR barrels arent using the same process as their SPR line. I own a SPR and it shoots great but it is not really a good comparison.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So perfect for 99.9% of us then. Glad we agree
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#29]
while I don't have much interest in the rifle myself, I'm very glad to see this.

A Ruger AR selling at $600ish will bring about even more EBR owners, this is a beautiful thing.

I said the same thing about the Sportical and the M&P Sport. These AR's while not for AR are there to introduce other people into the world of the AR
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While they're on a roll, if they make a 10mm GP100 I'll take back everything bad I ever said about 'em.

NICE!  I have little use for a 10mm auto, but that would be great as a BUG for hunting in the Rockies or Alaska.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
while I don't have much interest in the rifle myself, I'm very glad to see this.

A Ruger AR selling at $600ish will bring about even more EBR owners, this is a beautiful thing.

I said the same thing about the Sportical and the M&P Sport. These AR's while not for AR are there to introduce other people into the world of the AR
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol not to mention out collective obsession with demanding the comprised1/7 twist over 1/9 or 1/8.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lol not to mention out collective obsession with demanding the comprised1/7 twist over 1/9 or 1/8.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also the love affair with the worthless M-4 profile GL cut in the barrel  and a 556 NATO chamber instead of a 223 Whyde chamber.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never bashed Ruger, but a 10mm revolver would make me VERY happy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think Ruger getting into the volume end of the AR market is going to "alter the market tremendously" in and of itself.

In the competing price range, there's a stripped out S&W, there's DPMS, and there's a bunch of brands most consumers have never heard of. Hell, a sizable percentage of the people I've talked to looking for a $600 AR have never even heard of DPMS.

Unless there's some kind of flaw we haven't heard about, this Ruger is going to rape, pillage, plunder, and kill in the lower end of the market. I don't have much use for one myself, but that's the rifle I'd want on the rack when it's time to make sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Ruger producing all the components of this rifle in-house?

They have gigantic (for the gun industry) manufacturing capacity.  Ruger getting into the AR "pieces" business could alter the market tremendously.

They make some.

AR parts do not require the sophisticated process ruger uses on other small parts.   Ruger would be wasting resourses making these in house instead of more complex small parts for their other guns when they can buy them to their spec from someone else

It's probably mostly CMT small parts
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Also the love affair with the worthless M-4 profile GL cut in the barrel  and a 556 NATO chamber instead of a 223 Whyde chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup agree on profile.    But  I don't have a problem with the 5.56 chambers.  Wylde chambers are not going to change accuracy or reliability on most barrels or ammo.

It was pretty cute when S&W came out with a $600 AR with a 5R rifled 1:8 barrel with a nitrided treatment and everyone bitched for months that people were going to die in their Pat Rogers training classes.  Then we find out that the cheap S&W sport had shot better than most stainless match barrels on the market because a 5R nitrided 1:8 barrel is pretty optimal
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm thinking that I'm going to pick one these up when I get a little cash.  Since I don't have worry about damaging any chrome lining, I might cut the barrel down to 14.5 and perm attach something, maybe even flute the barrel under the hand guards to drop some weight.  Through on a carry handle and have a sweet truck gun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It was pretty cute when S&W came out with a $600 AR with a 5R rifled 1:8 barrel with a nitrided treatment and everyone bitched for months that people were going to die in their Pat Rogers training classes.  Then we find out that the cheap S&W sport had shot better than most stainless match barrels on the market because a 5R nitrided 1:8 barrel is pretty optimal
View Quote

The butt-hurt from the +$1K AR crowd was funny.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't care about chrome lined barrels on a $600 AR
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those guns were a steal and I sold every one I could. It was pretty hard to sell any of the other name brand guns when hey we're sitting next to it. If they would have made it a mid length for the same money that would have been awesome.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Those guns were a steal and I sold every one I could. It was pretty hard to sell any of the other name brand guns when hey we're sitting next to it. If they would have made it a mid length for the same money that would have been awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they were REALLY fucking accurate

Tossed some 69gr match ammo down a 200 years range with one with a Nikon scope and a cheap RRA  trigger group.

Impressive for a cheap little shitgun.   I was ready to throw my $3000 BCM mega build down the driveway
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top