Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2014 1:02:46 AM EDT

I am one of those guys.
Old Casio Ravine II flip phone that gets the shit beat out of it, dropped into nurse tanks, run over by tractor, dropped and stepped on in the mud, in the pocket while waist deep in a mud filled hole,
and other daily insults.

Due to shit beyond my control, I am forced to upgrade to a damn smart phone, in order to access E-mail on the fly, because some people are too fucking lazy to call and leave a message, even when told not to text or E-mail.

Having instant access to weather Radar and current conditions for spraying, parts schematics, Maps, and inventory, would come in handy, so giving up, and finding a decent smart phone isn't really pointless.

I guess it's time.

What are you guys doing for a phone that works and holds up?

If the I-Phone wasn't losing it's shit with the software issue, I'd probably go that route and slap one in a protective case.

I looked at the current Verizon Brigadier, and it would be a logical choice, except for everyone bitching about battery life. There is no charging option for 8-16 hours all too often.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm on my 3rd iPhone and I have no complaints.  My last phone was 3 years old and still looked and functioned like new.  Unless the build quality starts to decline I'll stick with Apple.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an iPhone 4. It still looks brand new and functions perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]
How much is a spare battery?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
So you guys haven't had the software upgrade issues, that several guys are grumping about in another thread?

That's encouraging.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have an iPhone 4. It still looks brand new and functions perfectly.
View Quote
Same here, had it in an otter box for a year until the otterbox came out of spec so now I just keep it in the little 5 dollar magpul slip on cover.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:22:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So you guys haven't had the software upgrade issues, that several guys are grumping about in another thread?

That's encouraging.
View Quote
I didn't upgrade my IOS, I waited to hear what other people said before upgrading they all said it slowed them down so I never did it.

FYI Iphone5c are free right now through verizon if your 2 years are up Im going to get one this week sometime.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I didn't upgrade my IOS, I waited to hear what other people said before upgrading they all said it slowed them down so I never did it.

FYI Iphone5c are free right now through verizon if your 2 years are up Im going to get one this week sometime.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's encouraging.

Free, or free with a trade in? I ask because they are currently offering a free iPhone 6 with trade in of iPhone 4 or up.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I am going to hold onto my damn Casio GZ One as long as possible.

All my friends make fun of my phone and my "anti-social" lack of  texts, emails, and "status updates"...but I am going to keep my prized little black dumb phone!

If I ever do step into the 21st century of cell phone technology....I will probably wait for this to be released (and hope it has good battery life)

Casio G Shock Smartphone

Inspired by the Casio G-Shock line of rugged watches, the G-Shock Phone features a metal case back and a plastic/resin construction to give it toughness that are unheard of for consumer phones. It’s:

Shock resistant from drops up of 10 feet
Water resistant up to a depth of 10m
Pressure resistant up to 1.0 bar
Can apparently hold up 1 tonne
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:41:36 AM EDT
[#10]
iphone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:48:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am one of those guys.
Old Casio Ravine II flip phone that gets the shit beat out of it, dropped into nurse tanks, run over by tractor, dropped and stepped on in the mud, in the pocket while waist deep in a mud filled hole,
and other daily insults.

Due to shit beyond my control, I am forced to upgrade to a damn smart phone, in order to access E-mail on the fly, because some people are too fucking lazy to call and leave a message, even when told not to text or E-mail.

Having instant access to weather Radar and current conditions for spraying, parts schematics, Maps, and inventory, would come in handy, so giving up, and finding a decent smart phone isn't really pointless.

I guess it's time.

What are you guys doing for a phone that works and holds up?

If the I-Phone wasn't losing it's shit with the software issue, I'd probably go that route and slap one in a protective case.

I looked at the current Verizon Brigadier, and it would be a logical choice, except for everyone bitching about battery life. There is no charging option for 8-16 hours all too often.

View Quote

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/nokia-lumia-icon

or

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/htc-one#pdpTab
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:53:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude,

I too had a flip phone till about ten or eleven months ago.

Bought an iPhone 5S.

Here's the deal as explained to me by a trusted friend:

If you're a tech guy and want to tweak and customize your phone, go with something other than an iPhone.

If you're not a tech dude and you just want the thing to work when you go to use it, buy an iPhone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All my friends make fun of my phone and my "anti-social" lack of  texts, emails, and "status updates"...but I am going to keep my prized little black dumb phone!

If I ever do step into the 21st century of cell phone technology....I will probably wait for this to be released (and hope it has good battery life)

Casio G Shock Smartphone

http://www.soyacincau.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/120114-GShock-Phone-1.jpg

http://www.soyacincau.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/120114-GShock-Phone-2.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Casio G Shock Smartphone

Inspired by the Casio G-Shock line of rugged watches, the G-Shock Phone features a metal case back and a plastic/resin construction to give it toughness that are unheard of for consumer phones. It’s:

The fact that the thing isn't available pisses me off.

I'm with ya on holding out as long as possible.
It irritates me to no end when people are texting bullshit and giggles, and I'm doing stuff that takes both hands and full attention...so I had Texting blocked.
If it's important, it requires detailed info and three way comms. If it's not important, leave me the fuck alone and call to shoot the shit after the day is over.

I would hang onto the Ravine II for another 30 years, if it wasn't for several valued customers, that think Farming involves sitting at a Geek terminal for 12 hours a day.
They E-mail orders and changes to orders, and I MIGHT get a glance at the E-mail once a day around Midnight when I get out of the damn shower and grab chow.
I missed several big order changes last season, because of not having Net and E-mail access handy. It sucks, but I gotta join the cool kids.

Casio needs to get off their dead ass.
The Ravine II will take 2 hours in a Nurse tank filled with Glyphosate, Ammonium sulphate, LI-700 surfactant/acidifier, and Simazene.
The only reason I found the thing, was it still rang.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love Android, and I have a Galaxy s5 that I pay for with my own money, and I also carry an iPhone for work and I support both phones with enterprise tools as part of my job.

That said, if you need a phone and "just need it to work" get an iPhone.

Bitching about the issues with iPhones is like bitching about Glock KB's.  It's not that they're flawed, they're actually very reliable, and more reliable than most, and they just work, and work... most of the time. You just get so many people complaining because there's so damn many of them in circulation.

The only downside to the iPhones is the small screens, but with the new 6 they've addressed that.
View Quote

Thanks for the real world, no bullshit, objective scoop!

I doubt I'll drop the coin for a 6, considering what I am going to do to the poor thing. Smaller screen will work for whatever I need anyhow.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:12:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Samsung Note has a huge battery.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:20:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds to me like you're a farmer. I am a farmer and I can tell you the farming apps are the shit. Field mapping (like where the fuck was that nappweed I saw last week, etc.), tank mix, label info, nutrient info and tracking, harvest tracking, weather, accounting, livestock records, and a billion other farm tasks right on your phone. You will quickly wonder how you farmed without it.  BTW I have an IPhone but I believe all the good apps are also on android.

BTW cases suck but so does buying 5 600$ phones a year, get a good one.
View Quote

GUILTY as charged.

I hadn't even considered "Farm Apps", or that they existed for that matter. Makes sense though.
Keeping track of what crew chased irrigation in what rows, would come in damn handy, when the friggin' dripline is wrapped around the rotovator, and I need someone to fire.
Same Idea with fighting yellow Nutsedge, and keeping track of spot sprays. I Like it!!

What case are you using?
Otterbox has one with built in battery gizmo, and it looks to be the shit!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:47:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It irritates me to no end when people are texting bullshit and giggles, and I'm doing stuff that takes both hands and full attention...so I had Texting blocked.
If it's important, it requires detailed info and three way comms. If it's not important, leave me the fuck alone and call to shoot the shit after the day is over.

I would hang onto the Ravine II for another 30 years, if it wasn't for several valued customers, that think Farming involves sitting at a Geek terminal for 12 hours a day.
They E-mail orders and changes to orders, and I MIGHT get a glance at the E-mail once a day around Midnight when I get out of the damn shower and grab chow.
I missed several big order changes last season, because of not having Net and E-mail access handy. It sucks, but I gotta join the cool kids.

The Ravine II will take 2 hours in a Nurse tank filled with Glyphosate, Ammonium sulphate, LI-700 surfactant/acidifier, and Simazene.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Casio G Shock Smartphone

S-28

I am with you 110% on the whole cell text/email crap.  People that actually use their hands to make a living have more important things to do with their fingers than tapping little keyboards and sending pictures of themselves every 5 damn minutes.  

I also agree that I want to TALK to somebody (especially if important details need to be explained).  

If whatever you need is not important enough to tap 7 numbers and explain it to me...then don't bother me while I am working.  F%&k...I worked with a guy on one job that had his iphone sitting everywhere next to his tools.  He could not go 5 minutes without checking it, or screwing around with it.  

He even had it in one hand while turning a wrench with the other  He about shit his pants when he found out that my cigarette lighter was broke in my truck, and he could not charge his precious little smart phone.

I laughed and asked him if he wanted to use mine I rubbed it in even more and told him that I only have to charge it about once a week or so.

I too have missed out on some work because of my smartphone hate....I will have to update sooner or later

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:05:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Running IOS8 on an iPhone 5C with no slowdown issues, but needed to tweak a few settings to get data usage under control after the upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:18:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The only time I had battery problems is working cattle, horses don't have usb ports and a lot of talking coordinating drives and shit. Usually on the farm I have a usb ports everywhere, my phone is usually plugged in. Although maybe if I had a big ass battery I wouldn't need to bother plugins stuff in. Although the stock Dephi radios in my Case tractors all have iPhone support and Bluetooth which I use a lot.

If I had my phone handy I would list the apps I use... maybe I'll send you an IM with a starter list.

I don't know if you guys use pivots but you can manage your pivots too; although there is like a $300 annual fee (per pivot) from the manufacture to do it but I can start a pivot, move it 20 degrees from the cab and never have to stop...so worth 300 bucks just for that.

I have had an Otterbox and it was fine, eventually the hard outer case started breaking so I bought a lifeproof (too expensive). The Lifeproof is great for irrigation because it's waterproof but it also has this stupid adapter cable for headphone jack and I use the headphone jack all the time. The Otterbox is available everywhere so when the Lifeproof dies I will just go back to that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds to me like you're a farmer. I am a farmer and I can tell you the farming apps are the shit. Field mapping (like where the fuck was that nappweed I saw last week, etc.), tank mix, label info, nutrient info and tracking, harvest tracking, weather, accounting, livestock records, and a billion other farm tasks right on your phone. You will quickly wonder how you farmed without it.  BTW I have an IPhone but I believe all the good apps are also on android.

BTW cases suck but so does buying 5 600$ phones a year, get a good one.

GUILTY as charged.

I hadn't even considered "Farm Apps", or that they existed for that matter. Makes sense though.
Keeping track of what crew chased irrigation in what rows, would come in damn handy, when the friggin' dripline is wrapped around the rotovator, and I need someone to fire.
Same Idea with fighting yellow Nutsedge, and keeping track of spot sprays. I Like it!!

What case are you using?
Otterbox has one with built in battery gizmo, and it looks to be the shit!

The only time I had battery problems is working cattle, horses don't have usb ports and a lot of talking coordinating drives and shit. Usually on the farm I have a usb ports everywhere, my phone is usually plugged in. Although maybe if I had a big ass battery I wouldn't need to bother plugins stuff in. Although the stock Dephi radios in my Case tractors all have iPhone support and Bluetooth which I use a lot.

If I had my phone handy I would list the apps I use... maybe I'll send you an IM with a starter list.

I don't know if you guys use pivots but you can manage your pivots too; although there is like a $300 annual fee (per pivot) from the manufacture to do it but I can start a pivot, move it 20 degrees from the cab and never have to stop...so worth 300 bucks just for that.

I have had an Otterbox and it was fine, eventually the hard outer case started breaking so I bought a lifeproof (too expensive). The Lifeproof is great for irrigation because it's waterproof but it also has this stupid adapter cable for headphone jack and I use the headphone jack all the time. The Otterbox is available everywhere so when the Lifeproof dies I will just go back to that.

That's good info!

Nope, no pivots in the Blueberrys. All drip irrigation, to keep fungus down, and sprays to a Min.
It's a PITA on upkeep(Critters like to chew for a drink, trunk lines bursting, frost damage), but I have everything on a timer with single point control of the zone valves.
I could see where pivots or an overhead system app, would be the cats ass.

Red radios support I-phones? Shit. That's awful handy.
I gotta figure out how to set up ours using the Aux output in the Cab. Shouldn't be too involved.

I thought the Otterbox was waterproof..glad you mentioned it.

Thanks for the offer on the Apps!!!
Hell, I don't have a clue as to what I would use or need.

Thanks again Man!!

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:15:49 AM EDT
[#22]
WINDOWS PHONE ----

I mean if you are going to reject the iPhone out of hand and are asking recommendations I can tell you that ANDROID sucks.

My daughter has a WINDOWS phone and she likes it.

I have an ANDROID and I hate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top