Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2014 12:29:09 AM EDT
I read recently that they are making 1.2 million dollars per day in oil trades.  Referencing pipeline maps shows that they don't control a single point of delivery, while they do control a number of established fields.  For some reason this doesn't compute. I know there are black markets, but the logistics to generate that kind of daily delivery and revenue seem mind boggling.

I am not educated enough to know how those markets are regulated, but I would think for the crude to make it to refinery there would have to be proper channels for it to source from.

Does anyone have any additional information on how this could be occurring?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Fill truck, drive truck to middle man, sell contents for 75% of market value.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is crude so truck transport wouldn't be efficient enough for 30000-40000 barrels a day.  Plus the fields they control are spread out geographically between Syria and Iraq. Like I said before the logistics of moving this to buyers would be crazy.  Does ISIS have the management team to oversee this successfully on a daily basis?  That makes me fear what kind of operation this group actually has the capability of.  

I am wondering if they are not operating the fields "business as usual" for the upstream recipients and being paid for the services.  This would seem like a bad spot to be in for the delivery entities, but I guess the rationale of "life must go on" would probably win out, especially from a business standpoint where these entities could be losing major dollars with a transportation shutdown.

I was hoping someone with experience in the ME oil industry could chime in with some insider views.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps many of the ME oil men appear similar to the ISIS assholes, have similar sounding names, perhaps even congregate together. Confusing indeed, but I'm sure it's all just coincidental...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Assad is allowing them. He's playing both side of the field.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone wants the Texas tea.

And I imagine there's some "take our silver or take our lead" going on as well.

Money creates it's own way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC there were a few news stories that went out from over in that part of the world (they were linked in that 90+ page thread of ISIL invading Iraq) stating that Assad was actually purchasing oil from ISIL.  Kind of like an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" type of deal.  I think it was because all the western sanctions were making it tough for the Syrian government to get their hands on raw crude, that, and the FSA had already taken a sizeable quanity of the government controlled oil fields.

I'd venture a guess that a lot of their revenue is coming from that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Hmmmm, not what I expected.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

?
Simpler, more complicated? I think most Americans wouldn't understand how it's done. These people have a complicated system that works off their control of others, through fear and blackmail of course, and the turning of a blind eye by supposed US allies in the area because they also make money. Nothing new there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
would we bomb a China Tanker Ship
Just asking
or where does China stand on the ISIS issue
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I wondered the same thing ...

My research said : $30 a barrel in Turkey "black market".

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Analyst on tv (I know...I know) said $40/barrel on the black market.  No serial numbers on oil.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:08:52 AM EDT
[#13]
We're probably buying it from them.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:13:00 AM EDT
[#14]

They make a little bit off of the oil.  They make most of their money selling Slurpees and those rotating hot dogs.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Can I still get in before the PSA connecting every fucking thing I buy to supporting terrorism?

"Hey there! Yeah, you with the five quarts of motor oil. You thinking of changing your vehicle's oil? Not so fast. . .

It's not just an innocent oil change. The fact is; petroleum funds terrorism.  Change your oil, buy a bomb. There's no difference.  Think about it."

(This important PSA brought to you by the ad council, your local station and the new Chevy Volt)
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They make a little bit off of the oil.  They make most of their money selling Slurpees and those rotating hot dogs.

View Quote

Mmmm steak tornados
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

This should be correct.
60 Minutes Sunday night interviewed the Kurdish Defense Minister and he said they were selling it on the black market for $30 barrel.
He said ISIS is making 6 million $ a day in revenue. I believe that's total revenue though. That's a lot of $.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Follow the money
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is crude so truck transport wouldn't be efficient enough for 30000-40000 barrels a day.  Plus the fields they control are spread out geographically between Syria and Iraq. Like I said before the logistics of moving this to buyers would be crazy.  Does ISIS have the management team to oversee this successfully on a daily basis?  That makes me fear what kind of operation this group actually has the capability of.  

I am wondering if they are not operating the fields "business as usual" for the upstream recipients and being paid for the services.  This would seem like a bad spot to be in for the delivery entities, but I guess the rationale of "life must go on" would probably win out, especially from a business standpoint where these entities could be losing major dollars with a transportation shutdown.

I was hoping someone with experience in the ME oil industry could chime in with some insider views.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're off a bit on your numbers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Good ol' fashioned protection racket ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where does the oil go from there?

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Why are we not dropping a JDAM on these oil facilities to cut off their money machine?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I suspect there was already an extensive infrastructure for black market oil sales that now happens to fall in ISIS territory. They're just extorting it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me help you.

What do people do with oil after they buy it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Let me help you.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me help you.    

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Let me help you.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me help you.    

Refine it
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Refine it
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me help you.    

Refine it
Read the article posted above

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good ol' fashioned protection racket ?
View Quote

isis is in the insurance racket, give us 5 bucks a barrel
or we insure you will have an "accidental" fire

it's what i would do if i were a shit bird living in a shit hole
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo. His economy needs that fuel, as well. He's not exactly flush with cash, so buying it at a discount is even better. What is his choice.

The FSA is the bigger threat to him, because its far more legitimate than ANF and IS.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#31]
They could sell it through the Turks.  Saddam did.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Black Market baby! (But thats racist.) Let's just call it the less than upstanding established marketing structure.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This should be correct.
60 Minutes Sunday night interviewed the Kurdish Defense Minister and he said they were selling it on the black market for $30 barrel.
He said ISIS is making 6 million $ a day in revenue. I believe that's total revenue though. That's a lot of $.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

This should be correct.

6000000/30 = 200000 bpd

That's a lot of oil to "smuggle."
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I read recently that they are making 1.2 million dollars per day in oil trades.  Referencing pipeline maps shows that they don't control a single point of delivery, while they do control a number of established fields.  For some reason this doesn't compute. I know there are black markets, but the logistics to generate that kind of daily delivery and revenue seem mind boggling.

I am not educated enough to know how those markets are regulated, but I would think for the crude to make it to refinery there would have to be proper channels for it to source from.

Does anyone have any additional information on how this could be occurring?
View Quote

Would it surprise you to learn that the very governments they are fighting would buy the oil?

Look at it this way: Iraq needs that revenue to A) Prop up current politicians, B) Keep populace in line, & C) "fight" ISIL.  (In that order.)

Iran...loving it!

50% of the money is better than 0%.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I suspect there was already an extensive infrastructure for black market oil sales that now happens to fall in ISIS territory. They're just extorting it.
View Quote

That is what the CNN article said.
The infrastructure and middle men always existed but in a smaller scale.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Not discounting the black market - but if you control any part of a pipeline, you can demand a a toll.  Not 100% extortion, but a simple business agreement.  A toll could be cash - pay or the pipeline is shut down, or the toll could be parasitic (they could divert some of the flow).  If the toll was low enough, most producers would recognize it as a cost of doing business.  Most producers in the US, do not own the pipelines - those are set up as separate entities.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Is blood oil the new blood diamond?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#38]
So, a rebellious group plans to set up their own independent country funded by the oil under their control.

Sounds... topical and familiar

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

I heard less than 75% via NPR but yeah, basically this. Then the oil gets laundered somehow through several markets. I liken it to blood diamonds.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went back to find the article.  I misread 1.2 million british pounds per day ($2million).  That would be approximately 66666 barrels per day.  The idea of transporting that per day without a pipeline to multiple destinations just doesn't compute.

They have to be delivering to multiple destinations, otherwise we would just airstrike the shit out of a single delivery point.

I didn't intend for this to be a "oil funds terrorism" topic.  Instead, I just find it interesting the pacifists we have running this country would not at first attempt to get a handle on this via economic action before going for the gun.

It is also telling that everyone "knows" about a black market, yet it is allowed to remain.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I heard less than 75% via NPR but yeah, basically this. Then the oil gets laundered somehow through several markets. I liken it to blood diamonds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best kind of Diamonds...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why are we not dropping a JDAM on these oil facilities to cut off their money machine?
View Quote

Because the price of oil on the open market would go through the roof and Obama would take the heat.

They'd rather fund terrorism.

TC
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Some of the oil from the captured Syrian fields was bought by Assad's government although most of it goes through Turkey while they look the other way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Let me help you.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me help you.    

Do you even rhetorical question, bro?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me help you.    

oh in that case I'm not tracking

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#46]
So, Assad is in on it?
Chemicals his own people, however, now the enemy of my enemy is a friend of mine?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#47]
They all wring out their greasy-ass head towels in a bucket as they pass by Alli Ashir's desk on the way out to kill infidels.  He then distils and sells to BP.  $$$$
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Seemed like on some of the video out about them, they are already collecting tax revenue from the locals they control, under law from the Koran. They even have a tax system for the non-believers, assuming they don't outright kill them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So, Assad is in on it?
Chemicals his own people, however, now the enemy of my enemy is a friend of mine?
View Quote

Was Assad really behind the chemicals?  I thought it seemed an awful lot like a false flag to coerce our involvement on behalf of the rebels, which almost worked.  It wasn't until public opinion came out against it that the current asshat in chief changed his mind.

At least that is how I remember it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Was Assad really behind the chemicals?  I thought it seemed an awful lot like a false flag to coerce our involvement on behalf of the rebels, which almost worked.  It wasn't until public opinion came out against it that the current asshat in chief changed his mind.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, Assad is in on it?

The purity of the sarin cited in the UN report argues against this hypothesis.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top