[#1]
Baby milk factories.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Baby milk factories.
View Quote

And babies. Lined up with their mothers to get milk.

'Tis truly another tragedy.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#3]
In on page 8.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty sure Assad said he wouldn't stand for US involvement unless it was in support of his government and Israel is in favor if keeping him in power rather than rolling he dice for a new government that might get froggy with them again.  

It's a madhouse, a madhouse!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Baby milk factories.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:25:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

^^^^Why? +1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The opposition is far from uniform theologically and ideologically.  That some parts have ties with the MB is unsurprising; that the whole of the opposition is part and parcel with the MB would be surprising and is most unlikely.  The problem is that we're getting involved too late to really help develop and effective and politically acceptable opposition.  Those that would be best to overthrow Assad have been battered from all sides.  They may well be among the weakest factions opposing Assad these days.  The problem of Assad being in power remains, and he does need to go, and such would be in our interests.

Maybe, but I think it was a myth and wishful thinking that the secular FSA ever had that much sway.  It would be Egypt 2.0 if they took over.  What we have now is a tired and broken Ba'athist regime that poses much less of a threat than anything else in the conflict.  Even John Bolton of all people said leave him in place in order to tackle bigger problems.

Hell, I would be willing to bet that at this point there is some tacit agreement with these airstrikes for the time being.  We can deal with Assad later.

I'm not claiming they were ever a very powerful group, but that is why we needed to get involved.  They are certainly far weaker now than they were originally.  Same with other more moderate rebel groups (including some that were, interestingly, religiously mixed).  Doing nothing ensured they would never have as much sway as we'd like.  

For now certainly the focus should be on ISIS, with Syria only being attacked if it decides to oppose us, but once ISIS has been dealt with sufficiently, we are going to have to make a decision regarding Assad, and leaving his regime in power is not an acceptable policy.

Why? (I'm not being sarcastic)

He's a westernized suite wearing tyrant with a fairly attractive wife.  But looking around the region, what are the alternatives?

Our track record social engineering the region is fairly shitty.  Why not let Syrians resolve Syria?  

^^^^Why? +1

Can I pile in on this and ask why leaving Assad in power is not acceptable policy?  Let's bomb the shit out of ISIL/ISIS and let Assad cobble together something stable out of what remains.  When has Assad posed a threat to the US?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If Syria is Russia's ally, why the hell aren't the russkies helping Assad?  

I'm wondering how Putin will react.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How will Russia and Syria react?  That's the real question.

Bad night to be in Kiev

Could be some sort of backroom deal for Russia to keep Eastern Ukraine, and allowing them to keep their base in Syria under a new regime.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LOL at the "secular dictator" description.  We're talking about a guy who allies with a radical Islamic state and is a state sponsor of radical Islamic terrorism and insurgency.  Nothing secular about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are we targeting Assad or ISIS?

Knowing 0Bama he will want the secular dictator out so a radical Islamic Theocracy can flourish.

To be fair, Bush took out the secular dictator in Iraq, and a radical Islamic theocracy is attempted to emerge.

LOL at the "secular dictator" description.  We're talking about a guy who allies with a radical Islamic state and is a state sponsor of radical Islamic terrorism and insurgency.  Nothing secular about that.

Wasn't Saddam supporting radical Islamists as well?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mother fucker ran out of wars to give up on?
View Quote

Now that is funny right there. I don't care who you are.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:48:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Can I pile in on this and ask why leaving Assad in power is not acceptable policy?  Let's bomb the shit out of ISIL/ISIS and let Assad cobble together something stable out of what remains.  When has Assad posed a threat to the US?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assad and Saddam are Baathist, mass murders, who practiced ethnic cleansing.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knowing 0Bama he will want the secular dictator out so a radical Islamic Theocracy can flourish.

To be fair, Bush took out the secular dictator in Iraq, and a radical Islamic theocracy is attempted to emerge.

Weren't we supporting radical Islamics in Syria like... Six months ago?

Didn't we fund and back radical Islamics in Afghanistan in the Cold War?

I'd say we are a fairly secular nation.

It's only bad when it's not us doing it, amirite?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:51:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, we need strikes in Syria to actually have any real impact on ISIS.  My only worry is they will try to broaden the strikes later to hit Government forces in an ill advised attempt to aid the FSA (Muslim Brotherhood) Egypt 2.0

Chances are though, we already have a back door agreement with Assad.....for now.
View Quote

Watch the video.

Kerry's plan is to arm and train the FSA to fight ISIS. He says they will be willing to fight ISIS and Assad at the same time.

Then he says the US will protect the FSA from the Assad regime.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/national/mccain-to-kerry-will-the-us-protect-syrian-opposition-from-assads-airstrikes/2014/09/17/43ec829a-3eb1-11e4-a430-b82a3e67b762_video.html

Claims of Assad using Chlorine attacks against the rebels will be the Administration's attempt to justify attacking Assad.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/18/kerry-assad-has-broken-chemical-weapons-agreement/

This Administration has gone full retard. Supporting the Syrian "opposition" is going to give us another Libya.

Dana Rohrabacher is right... And Kerry, as usually, can't see the forest for the trees.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/09/18/kerry_there_is_evidence_that_assad_has_played_footsie_with_isil.html

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Syria mission using USAF and Navy. Targets include ISIL command centers, training camps, and weapons depots. Coalition forces using fighter jets, bombers, and tomahawk missiles. Saudia Arabia, UAE, Jordan, and Bahrain taking part.
View Quote

Not our buisness. We should not be doing that. It will bite us in the end. Its not going to be worth it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:57:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Overthrowing Assad is an attempt by the US and Arab states (+Turkey) to undermine Iran's influence in the region. Without Assad and Syria, they think that Iran will lose their link to Hezbollah in Lebanon. They are wrong, and their plan is stupid.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only we get to pick the good terrori..... I mean, freedom fighters.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:06:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Overthrowing Assad is an attempt by the US and Arab states (+Turkey) to undermine Iran's influence in the region. Without Assad and Syria, they think that Iran will lose their link to Hezbollah in Lebanon. They are wrong, and their plan is stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's also an attempt to reduce Russian access to the Med and reduce direct Russian influence in the Middle East.

Not that I'm against sticking it to those Russian bastards, but Assad is not our biggest problem, nor is getting rid of him the best way to weaken Russia.

What I'm not getting is... Why is Assad okay with this campaign? He has to know this could be a ruse... And it's likely giving us an intimate understanding of his defenses. He should be freaking out. Unless there is some sort of agreement in place... And that's where things get interesting... If there is, what else has been agreed on?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#17]
And now IDF just shot down a Syrian plane in Golan Heights.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:09:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please tell me you're joking...

ETA: Nope, it's real... MiG-21. Patriot missile kill.

Damn thing was probably lost... Or doing an ELINT probe. How'd that work out for ya?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:12:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's also an attempt to reduce Russian access to the Med and reduce direct Russian influence in the Middle East.

Not that I'm against sticking it to those Russian bastards, but Assad is not our biggest problem, nor is getting rid of him the best way to weaken Russia.

What I'm not getting is... Why is Assad okay with this campaign? He has to know this could be a ruse... And it's likely giving us an intimate understanding of his defenses. He should be freaking out. Unless there is some sort of agreement in place... And that's where things get interesting... If there is, what else has been agreed on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing, before this even started, when Iran was asked by the O Admin to join the coalition, that it had some choice words and gave some stern warnings about going after Assad. They may have threatened to walk away from the Nuclear talks if the US launched attacks on Syrian regime targets.

Just a guess, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:13:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh shit! Off to google to see if this is legit.

Eta: Israel is claiming it is legit.

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFKCN0HI0FJ20140923

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29321236

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:17:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several places are saying MiG-21, but no confirmation. Could just be a drone. The Syrians have been probing the Golan with drones for a while.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:21:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Damn thing was probably lost... Or doing an ELINT probe. How'd that work out for ya?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry, this can't possibly escalate any further, it's only been, what, 4 hours?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:21:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going with lost.  I cannot believe anyone would be stupid enough to probe Israel NOW... then again, nothing in that part of the world should surprise me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:26:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't worry, this can't possibly escalate any further, it's only been, what, 4 hours?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does add another rather unstable element to an excessively volatile situation.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:26:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm going with lost.  I cannot believe anyone would be stupid enough to probe Israel NOW... then again, nothing in that part of the world should surprise me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll just go with stupid for now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and ISIS, Muslim Brotherhood, Al Qaeda, and all the other little splinter groups are what?  Look, I get it.  Assad is a tyrant that rules with a heavy hand.  He's not a shining example of democratic values, but the whole region is filled with theocrats and Jihadist, so looking around at the alternatives, who gives a shit.  Let the Syrians sort their own shit out.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a sinking feeling that this might lead to lone wolf attacks on our soil that let the .gov label people like you and I as terrorists.

/tinfoil
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:56:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I hope to hell we aren't wasting Tomahawks on ISIS.

You only use those on places with Air Defenses. ISIS doesn't have any.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Syria does.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:57:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Also I guess this means Russia gets to start kicking the dog shit out of Ukraine now?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:57:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
^^^^Why? +1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The opposition is far from uniform theologically and ideologically.  That some parts have ties with the MB is unsurprising; that the whole of the opposition is part and parcel with the MB would be surprising and is most unlikely.  The problem is that we're getting involved too late to really help develop and effective and politically acceptable opposition.  Those that would be best to overthrow Assad have been battered from all sides.  They may well be among the weakest factions opposing Assad these days.  The problem of Assad being in power remains, and he does need to go, and such would be in our interests.

Maybe, but I think it was a myth and wishful thinking that the secular FSA ever had that much sway.  It would be Egypt 2.0 if they took over.  What we have now is a tired and broken Ba'athist regime that poses much less of a threat than anything else in the conflict.  Even John Bolton of all people said leave him in place in order to tackle bigger problems.

Hell, I would be willing to bet that at this point there is some tacit agreement with these airstrikes for the time being.  We can deal with Assad later.

I'm not claiming they were ever a very powerful group, but that is why we needed to get involved.  They are certainly far weaker now than they were originally.  Same with other more moderate rebel groups (including some that were, interestingly, religiously mixed).  Doing nothing ensured they would never have as much sway as we'd like.  

For now certainly the focus should be on ISIS, with Syria only being attacked if it decides to oppose us, but once ISIS has been dealt with sufficiently, we are going to have to make a decision regarding Assad, and leaving his regime in power is not an acceptable policy.

Why? (I'm not being sarcastic)

He's a westernized suite wearing tyrant with a fairly attractive wife.  But looking around the region, what are the alternatives?

Our track record social engineering the region is fairly shitty.  Why not let Syrians resolve Syria?  

^^^^Why? +1

Because war makes people money at the expense of the soldiers and the taxpayers.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Syria does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Syria does.

Some decent shit, too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Syria Claims US Informed its UN Envoy in Advance of Airstrikes

CNSNews.com) – Syrian state media reported early Tuesday that the United States informed the regime’s ambassador to the United Nations of plans to launch attacks overnight against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS/ISIL) targets in Syria.

“The United States informed Syria's permanent envoy to the U.N. before launching airstrikes against ISIS terrorist organization in Raqqa,” the official SANA news agency quoted the foreign ministry as saying, without elaboration.

There was no immediate further government reaction to the decision to carry out the airstrikes on its territory, but if confirmed the claim that the ambassador, Bashar Ja’afari, had advance knowledge suggests at least a tacit understanding between the Obama administration and a regime whose legitimacy it does not recognize.

“We are not going to telegraph our plans [to strike ISIS inside Syria] in advance,” State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said last week.

Ja’afari took part in a U.N. Security Council meeting chaired by Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday. On Sunday, Kerry met one-on-one with his Iranian counterpart, Mohammad Javad Zarif, in New York. Iran is the Assad regime's closest ally.

Since President Obama 12 days ago announced his intention to widen the anti-ISIS campaign to include the group’s fighters in Syria, administration officials have stated repeatedly that the U.S. will not coordinate any action with the regime, while also warning Syria not to interfere, pointing out that its air defense and command-and-control facilities would be at risk if it did.

Damascus has insisted that the U.S. and other outside powers respect its sovereignty and not carry out attacks on its soil without its permission.

At the same time, however, military action against ISIS can only benefit the regime: ISIS is considered among the most effective of the myriad groups – ranging from Islamist extremists to secular nationalists – fighting to topple President Bashar Assad.

“The president has been clear and the secretary has been clear we are not coordinating with the Syrian regime and will not coordinate with the regime,” Harf told a State Department daily briefing last Tuesday.

“That means we will not hesitate to take action against ISIL in Syria as well as in Iraq. We are not going to telegraph our plans in advance, and again, as we said on numerous occasions, we won’t ask their permission.”

Obama first called for Assad to step down more than three years ago, in August 2011. Two years later, after more than 1,400 people were killed in a chemical weapons attack blamed on the regime, he threatened punitive airstrikes, but after failing to win congressional support backed away, in favor of an agreement to rid Syria of its declared chemical weapons stockpile.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/syria-claims-us-informed-its-un-envoy-advance-airstrikes-0

more at link
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:59:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How will Russia and Syria react?  That's the real question.

Bad night to be in Kiev

lol wat?

You mean not helping him the same way we didn't help the mujahideen get Stingers? That kind of not helping?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some decent shit, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Syria does.

Some decent shit, too.

Absolutely. Shit I wouldn't want to ever fly against.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And did any hit the Chinese embassy?
View Quote

"Outdated maps......again"
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:06:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

do you always believe what the media is reporting?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NBC article reported F-22's were being used.....would this be a first combat mission?

It's often wrong in war...but they have ATG capability and in a non permissive environment, you wouldn't really want to send in 15s or 16s on an initial strike package. Makes sense during SEAD/initial strikes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#38]
GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They beheaded two Americans..........wipe them out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This thing is a giant waste if you don't send in some A-10s.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's often wrong in war...but they have ATG capability and in a non permissive environment, you wouldn't really want to send in 15s or 16s on an initial strike package. Makes sense during SEAD/initial strikes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NBC article reported F-22's were being used.....would this be a first combat mission?

They can also get the fuck out of dodge in a hurry when needed. Both hard to see and fast enough to sidestep threats.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:21:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah, start WWIII with the Russians over their buddy Assad.

Great idea, no downside to that line of thinking.

Remind me why the hell we are doing this? I mean shit, I could almost see trying to drive the ISIS fucks out of Iraq, but what good can come of us wading into a civil war between two groups (Assad and ISIS) who BOTH hate us?

Somewhere, John McCain is sporting a huge boner.
WAR……WAR……WAR……my friends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please tell me the U.S. is not stupid enough to target Assad.

PBS News Hour said earlier tonight that our "Generals" felt that we shouldn't just target ISIL, but have a plan to get Assad also.  

Yeah, start WWIII with the Russians over their buddy Assad.

Great idea, no downside to that line of thinking.

Remind me why the hell we are doing this? I mean shit, I could almost see trying to drive the ISIS fucks out of Iraq, but what good can come of us wading into a civil war between two groups (Assad and ISIS) who BOTH hate us?

Somewhere, John McCain is sporting a huge boner.
WAR……WAR……WAR……my friends.

Not striking in Syria would be akin to going after the Taliban but not striking in Pakistan. It would go from "likely degrading" to "hopelessly flawed".
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Not our buisness. We should not be doing that. It will bite us in the end. Its not going to be worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Syria mission using USAF and Navy. Targets include ISIL command centers, training camps, and weapons depots. Coalition forces using fighter jets, bombers, and tomahawk missiles. Saudia Arabia, UAE, Jordan, and Bahrain taking part.

ISIS really is our business..

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#43]
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Tens of Islamic State fighters were killed or wounded in air strikes on the Syrian city of Raqqa and surrounding areas, a group that tracks the war said on Tuesday.
http://news.yahoo.com/air-strikes-syria-kill-wound-tens-islamic-state-052217144.html
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#44]
ISIL captured some MiG-21s at Raqqa, didn't they?  I wonder if the Israelis just shot down the first one they got in the air.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They can also get the fuck out of dodge in a hurry when needed. Both hard to see and fast enough to sidestep threats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Operated correctly, they'd be nearly impervious in that environment...the type of capability you'd want early on. Think F-117 in the first Gulf War.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Tens of Islamic State fighters were killed or wounded in air strikes on the Syrian city of Raqqa and surrounding areas, a group that tracks the war said on Tuesday.
http://news.yahoo.com/air-strikes-syria-kill-wound-tens-islamic-state-052217144.html
View Quote

Tens!!

...and some goats.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#47]
The Israeli Air Force has a story confirming the Mig shootdown over their airspace. It popped up on my facebook page with inks to major sources.

The question has to be why was the aircraft in Israeli airspace, and who was flying it ? Syrian or Russian?

If probing / intelligence, I can't see the Russians letting a Syrian fly that mission, but if lost that's different.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ISIL captured some MiG-21s at Raqqa, didn't they?  I wonder if the Israelis just shot down the first one they got in the air.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Why am I not surprised that the crowd is whipped into a frenzy when the President already announced he would strike ISIL in and out of Syria.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why am I not surprised that the crowd is whipped into a frenzy when the President already announced he would strike ISIL in and out of Syria.
View Quote

I for one don't believe politicians much until they do what they say they are going to do.

I mean look at the initial reason they gave for Benghazi for example.

It was a TOTAL fucking lie..........something politicians are EXPERT at.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top