[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tyson is a good guy and has made significant contributions to science.  

Name some.

What theories? What papers?

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/curriculum-vitae#research

That's pretty standard stuff for a PhD and is matched by your average doctorate professor at a research university.  I don't know much about the guy, but I've heard people who follow such things say that his actual contributions outside of being a celebrity are pretty modest.  A sharp guy, to be sure, but we're not talking about a black Hawking here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Discounting the claims of creationism as being a ridiculous pseudo science is bias?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or those who are defending him are so vested in what he says they remain blind by their own bias behavior. See below quote from you which aptly shows such bias behavior.
Discounting the claims of creationism as being a ridiculous pseudo science is bias?  

That's what this is really about Tyson pokes holes in people's irrational beliefs so his misremembering some comment George Bush probably did not make is blown up to "He's Da Debil"
Perhaps in the field of Law making up citations is par for the course, but scientists take that rather seriously.    

Whoops accusing me of lying now, lol.
No, I just don't don't understand your disregard for this sort of behavior.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's pretty standard stuff for a PhD and is matched by your average doctorate professor at a research university.  I don't know much about the guy, but I've heard people who follow such things say that his actual contributions outside of being a celebrity are pretty modest.  A sharp guy, to be sure, but we're not talking about a black Hawking here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Name some.

To be fair, the field needs "popularizers" as well.  Not everyone in science is going to be a Newton, nor is that the only type of person the field needs.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Who th hell is this guy? Everyone else here seems to know but me. Why do we care about him?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell of a singer.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Who th hell is this guy? Everyone else here seems to know but me. Why do we care about him?
View Quote
Celebrity scientist who apparently makes things up to make politicians look stupid while making himself look smart.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
See the main issue isn't that he was mistaken, or remembered something wrong. By his own admission he falsifies the content of his anecdotes. If someone is willing to lie about something when it doesn't matter, what is someone willing to lie about when it does matter.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Celebrity scientist who apparently makes things up to make politicians look stupid while making himself look smart.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know there were such things!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To be fair, the field needs "popularizers" as well.  Not everyone in science is going to be a Newton, nor is that the only type of person the field needs.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name some.

Absolutely; that's why I specified contributions outside of being a celebrity.  HIs contributions as a celebrity/frontman are very real.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I care about none of those things.  I care about a public figurehead for science who perhaps can't be bothered to not make up presidential quotes to suit his point.  
View Quote

I wonder if the arfcom butt-hurt/outrage would be so strong if he was misquoting Obama?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Tyson is a glorified science teacher.  The only reason we know his name is because he's black.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, dude has a shitload of internet memes, and he's on TV.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tyson is a glorified science teacher.  The only reason we know his name is because he's black.
View Quote

That and the badass meme.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Like I said, people remember stuff wrong all the time, sounds like he misremembered Bush's comment after the space shuttle disaster. I don't think he proves anything other than he's careless in recounting stories, like most people are. If he keeps telling the same story after this was pointed out I think it might mean he was being a prick. Again, if this is all the dirt they could dig up on him it seems like he's more credible than most people.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, people remember stuff wrong all the time, sounds like he misremembered Bush's comment after the space shuttle disaster. I don't think he proves anything other than he's careless in recounting stories, like most people are. If he keeps telling the same story after this was pointed out I think it might mean he was being a prick. Again, if this is all the dirt they could dig up on him it seems like he's more credible than most people.  

As an undergraduate I would have been reamed if I gave a talk with unvetted sources or bad citations.  One doesn't "remember" citations, one looks them up; this is especially easy in the age of Google.  

This wasn't an off the cuff remark, it was a prepared talk that he gave.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Absolutely; that's why I specified contributions outside of being a celebrity.  HIs contributions as a celebrity/frontman are very real.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Missed that.  My mistake.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.greenvillegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Bill-Nye-screenshot.jpg

I figured he was more tv host then a real scientist.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.greenvillegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Bill-Nye-screenshot.jpg

Or, you know, Einstein, or Feynman, or Hawking. It's kind of an old thing...

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fixed.

Good link on all of his lies.

Tyson's lame explanation:

Wouldn't think a prominent atheo-scientific icon like NDT would need to 'tune contents' to suit his 'audience'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is really a big pile of bullshit.  News Flash...science tends to dislike colorful statements often made from politicians.  Tyson is a good guy and has made significant contributions to science.  

Except that the point of the claims are that the politicians did not, in fact, make those colorful statements...Tyson seems to have made them up.  

I would don't expect a higher any level of respect for veracity from a prominent physicist atheist.

Fixed.

When I am invited to give a talk, especially to an audience that is not the general public, but to a specific gathering of people within a trade, I tune the contents for that audience, for that time, and for that place. So tone and flavor and context and intent are all key elements to any message I convey — all missing to anyone who was not present at the time.

Wouldn't think a prominent atheo-scientific icon like NDT would need to 'tune contents' to suit his 'audience'.

Sure sounds a lot like something a politician would do.

Glass houses and all that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a shame this guy is getting so infected with the liberal distortions.  He is a charismatic guy and has the talent and motivation make science appeal to young kids.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never thought of them as a celebrity. Just really smart people the General public knew about. Maybe I'm weird. Celebrities normally contribute very little to society.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn.cutestpaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/l-You-look-weird-sideways.jpeg

Cute possum!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't know if this list constitutes 60% of named stars, but ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arabic_star_names
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Glass houses and all that
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is really a big pile of bullshit.  News Flash...science tends to dislike colorful statements often made from politicians.  Tyson is a good guy and has made significant contributions to science.  

Except that the point of the claims are that the politicians did not, in fact, make those colorful statements...Tyson seems to have made them up.  

I would don't expect a higher any level of respect for veracity from a prominent physicist atheist.

Fixed.

When I am invited to give a talk, especially to an audience that is not the general public, but to a specific gathering of people within a trade, I tune the contents for that audience, for that time, and for that place. So tone and flavor and context and intent are all key elements to any message I convey — all missing to anyone who was not present at the time.

You think astrophysicists should give the same talks at international astrophysics meetings as they do to a bunch of non-astrophysicist undergraduates?  Children?

Why on Earth would you expect that?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And because he championed the removal of Pluto as a planet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Never thought of them as a celebrity. Just really smart people the General public knew about. Maybe I'm weird. Celebrities normally contribute very little to society.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Celebrity" is not necessarily synonymous with "worthless trailer-trash with a sex tape." Although there are a lot of those these days...

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://images.cryhavok.org/d/22899-1/Bro+Do+You+Even+Science_.png

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You think astrophysicists should give the same talks at international astrophysics meetings as they do to a bunch of non-astrophysicist undergraduates?  Children?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

So you're saying it's all kosher to purposely misquote someone if *you* think it's better to convey *your* message? Then claim the context/tone/flavor of yours are being misrepresented when called out on the misquote?

So let's try that out...
Quoted:
You think astrophysicists should give the same talk at international bikini model contests as they do to a bunch of nobel lauerate virgins? Gophers?

Why on Neptune would you expect that?

Yep. Totally the same. What? I misquoted you? No... I just tuned the message to better convey it, and you obviously didn't pick up on the context, tone and flavor of the message.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

So you're saying it's all kosher to purposely misquote someone if *you* think it's better to convey *your* message? Then claim the context/tone/flavor of yours are being misrepresented when called out on the misquote?

So let's try that out...

Yep. Totally the same. What? I misquoted you? No... I just tuned the message to better convey it, and you obviously didn't pick up on the context, tone and flavor of the message.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So let's try that out...

Quoted:

You think astrophysicists should give the same talk at international bikini model contests as they do to a bunch of nobel lauerate virgins? Gophers?

Why on Neptune would you expect that?

Have you read the thread at all?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't simply "misremembered ". Bush's statement had nothing to do with Islam. This wasn't a mistake, it was a lie.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. But that is a direct answer to your claim that it's okay to misquote a person based on the audience. It's not a matter of omitting more advanced subject matter, it's falsifying the subject matter. That is not acceptable in any community, scientific or not.  Besides I improved your quote to being far more awesome.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You think his goal is science? Look at this scene from his show Cosmos. It's sad because I used to actually like him.

http://blogs.ajc.com/news-to-me/files/2014/03/cosmos-bruno-animated-clip.jpg
View Quote

Seth Macfarlane was responsible for the animation. I personally hated all of the stupid animation in the new Cosmos series period, and not for any sort of anti-religious view. It was terrible and irritating to me and only detracted from the show.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, they were celebrities, but that was based upon their contributions. Carl Sagan was more in line with Tyson.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Yes. But that is a direct answer to your claim that it's okay to misquote a person based on the audience. It's not a matter of omitting more advanced subject matter, it's falsifying the subject matter. That is not acceptable in any community, scientific or not.  Besides I improved your quote to being far more awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect you haven't.  

I said no such thing, and in fact have been railing against it the entire thread.  What my comment to you addressed is the notion that a talk should not be tailored to the audience.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I suspect you haven't.  

I said no such thing, and in fact have been railing against it the entire thread.  What my comment to you addressed is the notion that a talk should not be tailored to the audience.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect you haven't.  

Nuh uh... Obviously you're tuning your content now because the context, flavor and timing are absent. (Please note, I'm using you as an example of why what Senior Tyson does, and why it's wrong).

Essentially he wants his cake (In this case to be able to take others quotes out of context, and 'tune them for content') and to eat it to, by claiming others can't do the same to him. He wants to remove context from quotes (thus creating the misquote) when it suits him, and when called on it, claims his context is vitally important.

Think of the same kind of idiocy that Jon Stewart does on the Daily show... "I'm making a joke, but you have to take me seriously!" "You can't take me seriously, I'm just making a joke!"

Can't have it both ways.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

An den Pooby sed:

I didn't say that. I don't care what he says in his speeches to whoever. but if your going to run around telling people made up stories to make yourself look smart, don't falsely accuse others of doing the same thing to make them look stupid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you read the fucking OP. He's a fucking liar and a climate change brainwashed douchetard
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

He tries to wrap his personal agenda in the mantel of "science".  That at least makes him a bad scientist.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Nye is a celebrity, but I don't know any definition of the word "scientist" that he falls under.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Bill Nye is a celebrity, but I don't know any definition of the word "scientist" that he falls under.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"guy"
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Einstein, Feynman, and Hawking have contributed far more than a celebrity scientist, even if all three had the unfortunate habit of veering wide out of their lane and expecting their opinions to be taken seriously.  Smart dudes.

Tyson hasn't contributed much, but he doesn't act as if he has.  His fame mostly stems from the internet circlejerk about him, which he has always seemed uncomfortable with.  Still, a smart dude.

Bill Nye is an engineer who taught a kid's show and now thinks he knows everything.  Douche.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Most of the stars probably had names given to them by the Greeks, Romans and even by the Chaldeans long before the Arabs did...........

Quoted:
I don't know if this list constitutes 60% of named stars, but ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arabic_star_names
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"guy"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"guy"

Yeah, being a host of a popular science oriented TV show doesn't make you a scientist any more than being in Top Gun makes Tom Cruise a naval aviator.  

Nye actually has a undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering, so he arguably is an engineer, but not a scientist.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top