Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 4:20:38 PM EDT
My kids were flipping through the channels the other day and started watching this show about a veterinarian office in Michigan where the camera follows them around.  

I had to shake my head though when one of the female vets went to a farm to trim a cows hooves. The guy had had the cow for 8 years.  It was essentially a gentle family pet.  She got the cow in a chute, tied up it's leg and started trimming. The cow struggled in the chute and slipped and fell and wedged it's neck in the gate.  She did nothing and kept on trimming.  Even the farmer made the comment,  "she seems to be struggling for breath".  The vet kept trimming for a few minutes and then walked around to the front of the chute and noticed the limp cow.  She quickly opened the chute and the cow collapsed to the ground.  Her first words were "she may not make it".     The cow lifted her head a few minutes later but wouldn't get on its feet.  A few days later the lady vet euthanized the cow because it wouldn't get up and was getting worse.  Essentially it had suffocated due to it's wedged airway.

I've had cows, and after seeing that, I wouldn't let her anywhere near my animals.  I understand accidents happen, but it seems like gross negligence when you see the cow fall, hear the farmer tell you she is struggling to breath, you can hear the cow struggling, but you find it more important to finish trimming a hoof before dealing with the bigger problem.

I wonder if she billed him for her services.

Other then that, the rest was kind of interesting.  The main vet is a 70 year old guy still going shoulder deep in cows and horses.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Iv'e watched it a few times.

I like the old guy because he reminds me of an old school vet in my hometown.

Doesn't mince words or care what you think he knows his job.

Not sure about his staff, sounds like someone needs a little remedial training..
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw that episode.    She's not normally a complete idiot.    Just a reminder that accidents do happen to everybody.

As for Dr. Pol......That is one amazing dude.  Wish I were more like him.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Like the show.
Real reality TV when one of the staff vets screws up.

Dr. Pol looks like he knows how to give a good talking to...........

Don't think they could put it on air.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Just looking a little more online about him and I guess recently both doctors were fined and disciplined by the board for not following standard of care.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had to shake my head though when one of the female vets went to a farm to trim a cows hooves. The guy had had the cow for 8 years.  It was essentially a gentle family pet.  She got the cow in a chute, tied up it's leg and started trimming. The cow struggled in the chute and slipped and fell and wedged it's neck in the gate.  She did nothing and kept on trimming.  Even the farmer made the comment,  "she seems to be struggling for breath".  The vet kept trimming for a few minutes and then walked around to the front of the chute and noticed the limp cow.  She quickly opened the chute and the cow collapsed to the ground.  Her first words were "she may not make it".  The cow lifted her head a few minutes later but wouldn't get on its feet.  A few days later the lady vet euthanized the cow because it wouldn't get up and was getting worse.  Essentially it had suffocated due to it's wedged airway.
View Quote

So, let me make sure I've got this right, you are taken as verbatim fact that the order of events the editors/producers of a reality TV show presented was actually the chronological order that the true events transpired? Is it possible, and bear with me here, that maybe, just maybe, the events didn't happen in the order presented, or perhaps in the time frame presented, so the producers, you know, could manufacture some drama out of the vet's call?

Quoted:
I've had cows, and after seeing that, I wouldn't let her anywhere near my animals.
View Quote

I'm glad you would make your decision on which vet service to use (or not use) based on how producers of a reality TV show would portray a situation. Apparently the guy who owned the animal was so "angry" at her "incompetence" that he hand delivered her flowers and a nice card because he was aware how bad she felt over this guys pet dieing. And apparently so many other patrons are so concerned about the vet's ability and care that the Vet Service doesn't have thousands of clients in the area (oh wait, they do, so they must be doing something right).

Anyway, I digress...my kids love the show and I find it about as enjoyable as Mountain Men or Swamp People (which is to say I check my brain at the door and just watch knowing 98% of what the cast does is probably really really dull but the way the producers edit it manufactures some measure of drama).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top