Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 1:57:37 PM EDT
Hoping to drive up from NJ sometime next week probably. Trying to make it as cheap as possible but I need to just get away for a couple days. Thinking I'll probably sleep in my SUV in one of the national forests or something. Any tips on car camping?

Anyways what stuff should I see? Bringing a camera and want to get some pictures too. I'm thinking some historic sites and maybe a little bit of hiking. Don't have a ton of time though. Mostly just a road trip.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't bother with the camera. Lots of professional photographers have shot Vermont all their lives and they got better pictures than you and I ever will.

Go hiking. Carry your pistol. The camera will just waste your time. Enjoy the views. When you get back, search the web for pictures of where you went. They'll be beautiful.

ETA - check to see which ski areas are open so you can catch the leaves turning from the chairlifts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
How far north in vt do you plan to go? Lots and lots of trails to hike anywhere in green mtn national forest. Lots of good breweries too. If you make it near Williston vt stop into the powederhorn gun shop.  Lots of toys to drool on especially for a nj'er
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Downtown Burlington is definitely worth the visit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't bother with the camera. Lots of professional photographers have shot Vermont all their lives and they got better pictures than you and I ever will.

Go hiking. Carry your pistol. The camera will just waste your time. Enjoy the views. When you get back, search the web for pictures of where you went. They'll be beautiful.

ETA - check to see which ski areas are open so you can catch the leaves turning from the chairlifts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I enjoy taking pictures though it's one of my few hobbies. I know there will always be better pictures of anything I shoot though. But part of the fun of seeing new places is photographing them.

Quoted:
How far north in vt do you plan to go? Lots and lots of trails to hike anywhere in green mtn national forest. Lots of good breweries too. If you make it near Williston vt stop into the powederhorn gun shop.  Lots of toys to drool on especially for a nj'er

I'd like to get up to Burlington area I guess. Depends on how many stops and how fast I drive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost every town in VT holds some type of festival during this time of year.

Probably going to this one myself:  Burktoberfest

The toll road to the top of Burke offers nice views and ends at a fire tower just shy of the peak with great fall views.

The Mt Mansfield area is also very nice.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Bernie Sanders Utopian Compound unicorns romp and big foot is on the council..Just follow the Rainbow..

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Nobody has said the ben and jerrys factory in waterbury? Who doesn't like ice cream? On a gun note if you make it anywhere near burlington there are a couple good gun shops. As somebody already stated the powderhorn is a great place. also, Datillio's and b&j plus there are some others along the way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Stop by the co-op market and pick up a case of headdy topper. Personally its good, others rave the its the best
There is also a scenic mountain road with tight turns and HUGE bouliders just north of Stowe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Stop by the co-op market and pick up a case of headdy topper. Personally its good, others rave the its the best
There is also a scenic mountain road with tight turns and HUGE bouliders just north of Stowe.
View Quote

Smugglers notch I believe is what you are thinking of.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nobody has said the ben and jerrys factory in waterbury? Who doesn't like ice cream? On a gun note if you make it anywhere near burlington there are a couple good gun shops. As somebody already stated the powderhorn is a great place. also, Datillio's and b&j plus there are some others along the way.
View Quote

Green Mountain Coffee is right down the road from B&J's. Go to the little factory outlet (not the main store) for cheap out-of-season coffee. Parro's gun shop is nearby too.

Stick to the NW part of VT. It has the most to see in the smallest area, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Spent the last 11 years living in VT before moving back to NJ last month.

The typical touristy spots are Ben and Jerry's, Vermont Teddy Bear, Smugglers Notch, Magic Hat Brewery, might be able to get a tour of Century Arms if you call and ask, there's not much in downtown Burlington but it's a nice little place.  In college when we would go into Burlington we used to have bets as to what the hippies were protesting about on Church Street (the main downtown shopping area).  It was always fun because we went to a military college in VT so we always just stared at them.  I still did it even after living in the area lol

Carry concealed.  No permit needed.  One of the few states that understands the Constitution
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Green Mountain Coffee is right down the road from B&J's. Go to the little factory outlet (not the main store) for cheap out-of-season coffee. Parro's gun shop is nearby too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parro's is good but unfortunately 90% of that store is illegal in NJ.  I miss getting my blue label glocks there lol
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Not in Vermont but not too far from Burlington

Franconia Notch
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Historic sites : Mount Independence and Fort Crown Point

Places to eat in Rutland: Gill's Delicatessen for grinders, Village Snack Bar for burgers,dogs,ice cream. Sirloin Saloon for a sit down steak dinner.

If I just want to hike I'll go to Mt.Tabor in Danby or White Rocks in Wallingford.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Franconia Notch
View Quote

+1

This is  right near me. There are tons of spots to camp/hike and the scenery is worth the trip any time of year. Photo opportunities are outstanding.

If you're not planning on heading east into NH, Ascutney State Park is easy to get to right off of 91. Quechee Gorge in Woodstock is also a great spot to visit and take pictures. Woodstock has some nice taverns and restaurants, but you'll find quite a bit of tourist/libtardness going on as well. I wouldn't let that discourage me though...it's still nice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+1

This is  right near me. There are tons of spots to camp/hike and the scenery is worth the trip any time of year. Photo opportunities are outstanding.

If you're not planning on heading east into NH, Ascutney State Park is easy to get to right off of 91. Quechee Gorge in Woodstock is also a great spot to visit and take pictures. Woodstock has some nice taverns and restaurants, but you'll find quite a bit of tourist/libtardness going on as well. I wouldn't let that discourage me though...it's still nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Franconia Notch

+1

yes!!  Go to Woodstock Inn and do their double death by burger challenge!!  Maybe you can get your picture on the wall next to mine
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I am from VT. Go to Stowe, Mt Mansfield-Smugglers Notch Rt 108. There is the Von  Trapps (The Sound of Music).
If you get there in early to mid October the leaves will be pretty. Take I 89 and get off at the Stowe exit, Ben and Jerrys will be on Rt 100 follow it to the center of Stowe. Let on rt 108.
Good food in Burlington and Stowe
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Also check out Lake Champlain too
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Drive the speed limit or a few below.  VT towns with a few hundred residents all have local, part time constables who love to write out of state plates tickets.  Your PBA card won't work, if you're OTJ that won't necessarily do anything etiher.  If your family hasn't lived in VT for at least a few hundred years, you're a flatlander.  That said VT is a fun and beautiful place to visit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Drive the speed limit or a few below.  VT towns with a few hundred residents all have local, part time constables who love to write out of state plates tickets.  Your PBA card won't work, if you're OTJ that won't necessarily do anything etiher.  If your family hasn't lived in VT for at least a few hundred years, you're a flatlander.  That said VT is a fun and beautiful place to visit.
View Quote

Really? Where?

State police on the highways are on the lookout for out of state plates, however.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Camel's Hump is a good hike, from what I remember when I was a kid.  If you get over my way, there's Mt Moosilauke and Black Mount which are also good.  And Franconia Notch is only about a half hour from here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd like to get up to Burlington area I guess. Depends on how many stops and how fast I drive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

you'll go right through then -

stop in Montpelier also - very nice little town
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Franconia Notch
View Quote

If you take that route, stop by The Basin and get some pics.....take a tripod for fast water shots.  It's right off the interstate that heads north past the Notch....
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#25]
before I moved I looked at gun friendly states....and Vermont was the only better than wherre I 'm at now.....  I'd keep your eyes peeled everywhere.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
This will be an awesome trip! I love vermont. I'm not sure if they make maple syrup year round. But when I was there I watched them make it we tasted it straight from the tree (not so good) then we got to go in and watch how they made it. It was really neat! I always said I wanted to live there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This will be an awesome trip! I love vermont. I'm not sure if they make maple syrup year round. But when I was there I watched them make it we tasted it straight from the tree (not so good) then we got to go in and watch how they made it. It was really neat! I always said I wanted to live there.
View Quote

It must have been March.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Spend your time finding the following:

Heady Topper by Alchemist Brewery

Lawson's Finest Liquids

\thread

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It must have been March.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It must have been March.

While the time table does vary a little by location, sapping/sugaring is extremely seasonal. Sap is only collected when the nights are below freezing and days above freezing in the spring. Lasts a handful.of weeks
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Cabot Farm store,  this is one of several:

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/visit_us/cabot_annex.php

ETA:  A really nice gourmet restaurant in Quechee, located right on a small river.  They also have a glass blowing facility there and an attached store selling their glassware.   It's a very nice place to visit, nevermind the excellent food.

http://www.simonpearce.com/pages/our-restaurant

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Hit up Magic Hat Brewery if you're near Burlington.  And, if you are near Montpelier, you should detour down to Northfield and check out the storied and historic campus of Norwich
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hit up Magic Hat Brewery if you're near Burlington.  And, if you are near Montpelier, you should detour down to Northfield and check out the storied and historic campus of Norwich
View Quote

If you go to Northfield, grab a pint or two and a bite to eat at the Knotty Shamrock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Bennington Battle monument

Get some great cheese samples at Cabot.

Caspian isn't too far outside of Burlington and has a neat little shop, but they don't have public tours.

Something I wish I would have done on my first trip is plan to go to Maine for lunch. Leave in the AM, get lobster for lunch, return for dinner.

Downtown Burlington is pretty great. I was at a bar there and the Spin Doctors played, for free, for a small crowd. I didn't even know it was happening as I was just there for a beer and a grilled cheese.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#34]
We spent 4 days in Smugglers Notch back in July, awesome place. We spent 2 weeks going from Tennessee, to Maine, and down East coast. Vermont and Maine were our favorite.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

very true
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Just don't go when school is in session, you'll only be disappointed with what it's become.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Really? Where?

State police on the highways are on the lookout for out of state plates, however.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Where?

Mount Tabor on the way to Killington. The have 3/4 of a mile of roadway where they drop the speed limit and although the town has only about 200 residents, they manage to employ constables to write those tickets.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just don't go when school is in session, you'll only be disappointed with what it's become.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top