Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 1:00:45 PM EDT
51, starting to get the aches and pains.  Never had any issues with my legs before.  Knees got kind of stiff the last couple weeks.  I squat to hook up the dog and both knees are stiff and it's tough to get up.  Pain is not horrible just kind of an ache.  Is there really anything over the counter that might help a little or is it all garbage?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you find out, let me know! Mine are shot!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Naproxen works well for me, but not daily forever due to cardiovascular risk... just take it on days you need it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Glucosamine with Chondroitin seems to help.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Stretching and exercise.

Look up rehab exercises for your knees and do them every day, and stretch your calves, thighs, and glutes.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Advill(5 when it's bad) worked for me but cycling did the most good. Weight loss with non-impact excersizing
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Take 2 Motrin and change your socks
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Icy Hot and Capsaicin rubs give a little temporary relief. My knees have gotten so bad in recent weeks that I have a Dr.'s appointment this Wed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Taking Motrin which I take for my back and has always helped.  Does nothing for the stiff knees.  Especially the top side of my legs just above the knees the muscles feel really tight.  Sucks to get old.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
DMSO
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Icy Hot and Capsaicin rubs give a little temporary relief.
View Quote

Make sure you wear loose pants so that it can waft up to your balls.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#11]
More range of motion exercises, and more movement in general. That being said, it'll keep getting worse.

sigh.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Naproxen sodium. And make sure you are stretching your hamstrings.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#13]
51????
You made it farther than me.

What helps me is beer and a cavalier attitude.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Standard .mil advice. Lol.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had positive results taking it.
Took a few weeks to notice the improvement.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

51????

You made it farther than me.

What helps me is beer and a cavalier attitude.
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Strengthening your quads will help keep your kneecap aligned. Weight loss will also help.

What did the most for me, was stiff arch support on the soles of my shoes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Take a salt tablet

What I recommend is: horse liniment gel

Im quite serious I (25) use it as well as my Dad and Grandfather. It works quite well. Some Tylenol down the hatch really helps if you know your going standing and working all day

Just keep away from your face and your groin
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Only 44 here, but I have had knee issues for past few years.  Same with others in my familiar that are much older than I am.  

The cure: get a bike and ride the shit out of it.  Do it a few times a week,  for at least 30 mins a session, and for at least a month.  It can just be a regular old bike - doesn't have to be a fancy road bike, etc.    I have asked knee surgeons about it, and it won't cause you any adverse problems with your knees, and can only help.  You can thank me later, and as I did the person that recommended it to me.  It made a WORLD of difference.

The worse thing that  you can do.... is nothing and hope it gets better.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#20]
MSM   Buy it at any mart store or supermarket.  Also, the strictest version of the Atkins diet make much of my joint pain go away.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I need a knee replacement at 37. No insurance though.

It feels, and sounds like 2 rocks rubbing together when I move it. Daily pain.

12 years ago I came down on it hard in a motorcycle crash. Had a bruise from my calf to my sack. Guess I should have went to the doc instead of "drinking the pain away".

No advice, just empathy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#22]

If it's just knees, you're doing ok.

Hell, my whole freakin body is stiff and in pain.

I got to get moving .....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]
at 27 I had to get a bone scan and other test to see if a tumor was cancer.  Doctor said you don't have cancer but do have arthritis in both knees. Hurts like hell after riding a bike or hiking. I'm 32 now and plan on being fucked later on in life if I live that long.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been taking these since I turned 38 and a lot of the pain and creaking I had before has gone.  I'm 43 now, and I no longer crack/creak/feel as bad in my knees when I bend at the knees.

I highly recommend, although I'm no doctor.  This is purely from my personal usage of over the counter supplements...  I also recommend some low impact exercise to go along with it (swimming, walking, exer-bike).

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm an older gent myself and I got pretty banged up in my younger days racing motorcycles. So I know what you mean. So with that said, and not to sound like a hippie, here is what works for me. Keep my weight under control, stay on the light side, and drink green juices daily if possible and use organic veggies. Real coconut water is great as well, from the young coconuts. I am pretty much pain free most of the time, once in a while I get the aches when a low pressure system rolls in. Oh, and exercise is a must. Stay busy and moving. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I walk a dog for an hour every day and have done so for the past 3 years.  I would think that would be enough no impact exercise.  I'm not just sitting around.  I'll try some of the suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I take a spoonful of gelatin dissolved in grape juice once a day and I think it helps give me better range of motion.

I know it helps my hair and nails which makes me feel like It's doing something.

I'll be 70 next year:   "Pain?"     No thank you, I have enough.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]
49 here and I got two brand new knees this year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Eat more pineapple.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Do some deep knee bends and stretching exercises after you wake up in the morning.

I get it too sometimes.  That helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top