Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/22/2014 12:36:15 PM EDT
Completely hypothetical

You are home invaded and get the drop on a perp. You shoot him and put him down - as you go past to save your dag and kid in the other room you see the perp move slightly. Do you perform an anchor shot as you go past and risk the wrath of the DA presenting you as cold blooded killer or pass him without doing that and hope he doesn't shoot you in the back?

I am kind of a put down/stay down kind of guy.

Had this convo today with a co-worker - In CT an anchor shot would probably land you in jail (hell a good defensive shoot probably will anyway since that's a dem voter taken off the rolls) but here in TX I get the feeling you would get a handshake from the sheriff and a medal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
"In CT an anchor shot would probably land you in jail"

I thought in CT owning a gun alone would get you in jail.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
He was reaching for a weapon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
ITT shit you don't talk about in case it becomes necessity and you don't want it to show up as testimony against you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot hm again, people can still attack from the ground. Once it's only you telling the story you can tell it anyway you want.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
1. Shoot perp,
2. Kick weapon away from perp
3. Check on family
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

He fell to the ground after being shot then made a furtive movement like he was reaching for a weapon.  He left me no choice but to fire again to make him stop and protect my family.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]
An "anchor shot" will probably land you in jail anywhere.  Not just CT.

On the other hand, "shot him several times staying on target" wouldn't, even if the perp was down.

So yea, walking up and headshot is always trouble. Four more rounds from where you are standing while he's flopping probably isn't.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the 1st rule in Fight Club?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot to slide lock, then reload. Rinse, repeat as necessary if target is still moving. None of this "Shoot twice and check". You shoot until you are sure the threat is stopped. And frankly, if 19+1 rds isn't sufficient, well hopefully by then he'll leak out as I then casually talk to the 911 operator into sending a meat truck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1. Shoot perp,
2. Kick weapon away from perpsecure the weapon
3. Check on family
View Quote

Fixed....he might be shaming a little....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#12]
You shoot until the threat is abated. Take that how you will.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Imagine yourself OP being questioned by the police and then in court, having to explain wounds sustained to the perp while he was down on the floor. They would never even close to be construed as defensive wounds.  

You would be on the defendant on a murder charge.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread is right up there with having 3 different types of cartridges in your shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe we could discuss "What's the best round for grandpa" again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe we could discuss "What's the best round for grandpa" again.
View Quote

Yeah, but grandpa has a tendency to shoot first from what I remember.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#17]
See tag line at bottom.....

Anchor shots.....in a sudden violent confrontation......
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Mag dump.
Reload.
Secure weapons.
Secure family.
Render aid if / when / where possible.

No anchor shots.

Better question is: Do you drag this bleeding scumbag outside, or let him bleed all over your carpet.   Moving the body probably isn't the best idea from a criminal investigation stand point...   but damn, I got nice carpet!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#19]
WHATEVER you do, after you call 911, zip your pie-hole, and don't talk about anything until you've met with your lawyer, in private, and received advice.

If his/her advice is to let him/her do the talking for you regarding the events, there you go.

In any case, it will be at least 12 hours before I say or write anything.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

While muttering, "I'm gonna gonna kill you muther fucker!!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#21]
"I dunno, officer, he was swearing and reaching for something in his pocket when I shot him that last time..."
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#22]
"He made a move, I had to get it on"
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]
These fucking threads.

An anchor shot/coup de grâce is murder. Holy hell. If you have time to walk "past the perp to save your dag," you have time to kick away the perp's weapon or something before he twitches menacingly.

Stop watching B horror films. They're affecting your judgement and grasp on reality.

ETA: Your lawyer is gonna hate you for this one:

Quoted:
View Quote

YOU WILL NOT TWITCH ON MY FLOOR UNTIL I SAVE THE BABNANAS!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#24]
A very wise, old (now retired...) FTO once gave me some sage words of advice:

"Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice."

-and-

"Things are a helluva lot less confusing when only one person is talking to the Judge."

I pray that I never get home-invaded or First Degree Burgled...if I ever am, I will NOT spend the rest of my life waiting for the scum-sucker to come back and finish the job. I will keep shooting until the attacker is neutralized, period.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#25]
He fell onto some bullets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#26]
If I have to fire at all, I'm not stopping until I'm absolutely sure they are good and dead.  All my neighbors will hear is a single string of shots, and nothing else until they hear police sirens.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Shoot to slide lock, then reload. Rinse, repeat as necessary if target is still moving. None of this "Shoot twice and check". You shoot until you are sure the threat is stopped. And frankly, if 19+1 rds isn't sufficient, well hopefully by then he'll leak out as I then casually talk to the 911 operator into sending a meat truck.
View Quote

Good luck with that. A prosecutor would have a field day with you. He'll tell the jury you are a gun nut with an arfcom membership and a small aresenal of firearms and when you finally had the chance to defend yourself you shot the poor home invader 27 times.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#28]
your answer is " I want to talk to my lawyer."

don't talk about all the cool tactics you read about on line.

don't tell them about how you watch strikeback with a boner and dream about being that cool

save your family the best way you can, shut your damn mouth and let your lawyer do his job.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the way it's always been explained to me, cock to lock rinse and repeat if needed
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

your answer is " I want to talk to my lawyer."

don't talk about all the cool tactics you read about on line.

don't tell them about how you watch strikeback with a boner and dream about being that cool

save your family the best way you can, shut your damn mouth and let your lawyer do his job.

View Quote

This, x 100.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#31]
In CT we actually have a castle doctrine, no jail time as long as it is in your home, although you still may need to deal with a civil aspect of it all. Outside of your home is a totally different story.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In CT we actually have a castle doctrine, no jail time as long as it is in your home, although you still may need to deal with a civil aspect of it all. Outside of your home is a totally different story.
View Quote

I had no idea you guys in CT had castle doctrine. I will eat crow over my first comment/ reply.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
An anchor shot - an entire 66 foot long shot of chain from a typical Navy ship is going to run about 75 tons and if you're strong enough to drop that on a guy you've got no worries about being prostituted by any jury made up of humans.

Single perp? I'm not taking my gun off the cranial cavity for any reason until the cops come by to relieve me.
View Quote

I thought a shot of anchor chain was 90 ft?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I had no idea you guys in CT had castle doctrine. I will eat crow over my first comment/ reply.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

, I can see why you thought what you did though
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Plan ahead for your particular State.....whatever you think you can convince juries/judges of.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Completely hypothetical

You are home invaded and get the drop on a perp. You shoot him and put him down - as you go past to save your dag and kid in the other room you see the perp move slightly. Do you perform an anchor shot as you go past and risk the wrath of the DA presenting you as cold blooded killer or pass him without doing that and hope he doesn't shoot you in the back?

Had this convo today with a co-worker - In CT an anchor shot would probably land you in jail (hell a good defensive shoot probably will anyway since that's a dem voter taken off the rolls) but here in TX I get the feeling you would get a handshake from the sheriff and a medal.
View Quote

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/29/closing-arguments-tuesday-in-little-falls-murder-trial/
LITTLE FALLS, Minn. (AP/WCCO) — The Little Falls, Minn., man who shot and killed two teenagers after they broke into his home was found guilty Tuesday of premeditated murder.
Smith says, “You’re dying,” followed soon by the sound of another gunshot, which investigators said Smith described as “a good, clean finishing shot.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Good luck with that. A prosecutor would have a field day with you. He'll tell the jury you are a gun nut with an arfcom membership and a small aresenal of firearms and when you finally had the chance to defend yourself you shot the poor home invader 27 times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No duty to retreat, and though not a Castle doctrine state, we're it in every meaningful way save the name. But hopefully he'll be able to spell 'arsenal' better, and should it have taken 27 bullets to stop the attacker, well, I'd know that I at least will be the only one having to explain it to the jury.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Shoot hm again, people can still attack from the ground. Once it's only you telling the story you can tell it anyway you want.
View Quote

more evidence that no one should ever listen to anything you say.
ever.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
An anchor shot - an entire 66 foot long shot of chain from a typical Navy ship is going to run about 75 tons and if you're strong enough to drop that on a guy you've got no worries about being prostituted by any jury made up of humans.

Single perp? I'm not taking my gun off the cranial cavity for any reason until the cops come by to relieve me.
View Quote

i thought it was 90 feet per shot? or was it 90 feet per fathom? or is it a whole shot? or the other way around?
aww fuck it! just drop the damn achor!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Castle doctrine does not mean what you think it means...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#42]
From the mouth of a Texas Ranger friend I've know a long time. "Any man that's worth shooting once, is worth shooting a dozen times".
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Shit, you have BJJ training, use you core strength to drag the perp on top of you before you fire the final shots.  When CSI finds rounds in the ceiling it will look totally legit.   Just keep your mouth closed so you don't get anything in it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
From the mouth of a Texas Ranger friend I've know a long time. "Any man that's worth shooting once, is worth shooting a dozen times".
View Quote

Yep ...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He fell to the ground after being shot then made a furtive movement like he was reaching for a weapon.  He left me no choice but to fire again to make him stop and protect my family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

If this is in your house and he's still moving, he's still a threat.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then I will get my attorney to pull the Police Reports of every shooting in a 100 mile radius and show how many times the Police shoot....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Prostituted

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#48]
We asked THE numero-uno top criminal defense lawyer in the state to come and speak at our gun club last year. His instructions were simple:

1. It's a hell of a lot easier for him to defend people with CCW or Military or Police training, because you get to use terms like, "I was in fear for my life and I fell back on my training."

2. DON'T SAY A FRIGGIN' WORD UNTIL YOUR LAWYER IS PRESENT. Just say, "Officers, I'm kind of shook naturally after I WAS ATTACKED. I'm gonna need to rest a little and wait until my lawyer gets here before making a statement.

3. IF SOMEONE HAS TO TALK, LET YOUR WIFE/SPOUSE DO ALL THE TALKING WHEN THE POLICE ARRIVE (don't they always?) A lawfully married spouse CANNOT be made to testify against you, thus anything they tell the police is worthless after the interview.

4. If all else fails, tell them you're having chest pains and need to go to the hospital immediately. Then, don't say anything!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And then I will get my attorney to pull the Police Reports of every shooting in a 100 mile radius and show how many times the Police shoot....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's the way you do it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#50]
If you feel you can justify to a jury that the guy was still a threat and you shot again in fear for your life.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top